Quantcast Can you pet chickens? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love this thread. I like the idea of a thread of the year nomination. Hey, there's an idea. It would be fun to see, after the first of the year, a sort of Intercot Highlights of 2005.

We could have different categories like the Oscars. Most popular thread, most informative thread, most I can't believe they said that thread, etc.

John Y and the Mods could post nominations and we'll vote.

I like this idea.
    Munch
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong.
    Abraham Lincoln
    (1809 - 1865)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

"peck and awe campaign"

ha,ha that is too funny [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img]

By the way great idea munch!
    COLOR=Teal]2x a year every year as a child...
    with my children[/COLOR]
    AS Movies-Nov 2004
    Pop Century-May 2005
    POFQ(through MJ)-Oct 4-9 2005(free food!!)
    [COLOR=Purple]4/30-5/8 2006 Pop Century with Eric
    William's Birthday!- Sept 12-Sept 17 2007- AS Sports
    Spring Break 2008 -Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

We have chickens that live at the house next door, and they make frequent trips to our yard. I'm kinda [img]graemlins/thedolls.gif[/img] evil [img]graemlins/thedolls.gif[/img] , so I enjoy sneaking up on them and scaring them when I'm outside.

I think chickens are so funny looking when they run full speed. It's like all their weight is in the rear, and their feet are out front and going faster than the rest of their body can, and their head is just hanging on for the ride (it really reminds me of cartoons). Chickens can really move when they need to.

Yeah, a grown man sneaking up on and chasing chickens for fun. Go figure.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the website of the farm that I went and picked the berries where the said chicken lives. Imagine my suprise when they advertise that they have a petting zoo! You can see the animals at: http://www.washingtonfarms.net/field_trips/pet.htm

There is a chicken pictured that looks similar to the one that followed me around the berry patch. Doesn't it seem like the implication with the site is that the chicken was there to be petted? I'm this close to going back with the sole purpose to pet this chicken. It's almost an obsession now. Maybe it's like the earlier post stated, it's a childhood traumatic event. I need to pet the chicken to release my inner demons. Could it be possible that this chicken is the key to my eternal bliss?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Okay, gotta ask, what is up with the Atlanta people (WDW-Geek & Advnt05)and chickens!?!

Advnt05, if you do brave the blackberry patch again, pet the chicken and find eternal bliss, will share the 'happening' with us? We want pictures of the rapture. Now if you return and yell 'The Sky is Falling', we'll know this has been a publicity stunt for Chicken Little from the very beginning. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?

Post Thanks / Like

If petting the chicken leads to eternal bliss there will be many more people heading off to affection station at AK...

very funny thread (this from a girl leavign the country without ever going on a farm after moving here from the city..it's hilarous to think I "know" people who pick eggs if that's the right term)

Personally I'm not a big fan of petting anything that doesn't have fur....
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I used to pet the chickens and even the pigs on my farm I had (before the State took it away to build the Suncoast Expressway...but I digress )

That is...up until the time I came home from work to a home-cooked dinner and I knew my DH hadn't been to the store. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]

Words to the wise: when you live on a farm, don't name the animals. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Carpe Diem!
    **WDW too many times to count since 1971!!**
    *Contemporary*All Star Movies, Music, Sports*Caribbean Beach*Pop Century*Wilderness Lodge*Polynesian*Port Orleans French Quarter*Beach Club*Grand Floridian*Animal Kingdom Lodge*Saratoga Springs*Yacht Club*Old Key West*Swan and Dolphin*

Post Thanks / Like

I have a picture of my youngest holding a huge red chicken with long feathers ( sorry, don't know the type of chicken). It was friendly and almost as big as she was. The look on her face was "look what I caught!"

And the place she was petting chickens-Fort Wilderness petting zoo-before her pony ride. WDW has very friendly chickens.

We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Munch:
    Gotta love this thread. I like the idea of a thread of the year nomination. Hey, there's an idea. It would be fun to see, after the first of the year, a sort of Intercot Highlights of 2005.

We could have different categories like the Oscars. Most popular thread, most informative thread, most I can't believe they said that thread, etc.

John Y and the Mods could post nominations and we'll vote.

I like this idea.
    Munch....love the idea...the yearly I-Cot awards... [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

This post is definatly for the birds
    Candi, the Pooh fanatic!

4/2010 - Pop Century
    9/2005 - Pop Century
    1/2005 - Pop Century
    1/2004 - Offsite
    1/2001 - Offsite
    9/2000 - Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon
    5/1983 - Offsite
    Disneyland - 1980,1981,1982

Post Thanks / Like

So on PBS last night, they had an entire show dedicated to the history of the chicken! There were people petting chickens right and left. One lady even gave "mouth to beak" to bring back her chicken that had been frozen. They really do seem like good pets. I am going to have to look at getting a chicken. Nothing beats fresh eggs. Now here's my next question, do you have to have a rooster for your chicken to lay eggs? Would they lay them unfertilized?

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by SallyP:
    Okay, gotta ask, what is up with the Atlanta people (WDW-Geek & Advnt05)and chickens!?!
    There's nothing wrong with us, it's the blasted chickens! They're everywhere... [img]graemlins/thedolls.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Advnt05:
    I found the website of the farm that I went and picked the berries where the said chicken lives. Imagine my suprise when they advertise that they have a petting zoo! You can see the animals at: http://www.washingtonfarms.net/field_trips/pet.htm
    Whoah, that's funny. I've been to the Loganville farm before... It's right up the road from my house.

[ July 06, 2005, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: WDW-Geek ]

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a goat on an obstacle course in one of the photos on the farm's website? This place is getting more interesting by the minute.
    Sue<br />Many, many visits since 1978<br />1993 CBR<br />2004 WL<br />Feb., 2005 FW<br />May, 2005 Polynesian<br />Next: Sep.2005 Dolphin;Dec.2005 GF

Post Thanks / Like

This is not a chicken story but a rooster one. One day at the cemetary (?) my mom, my aunt and myself were there paying our respects and minding our business. My mom went to go throw out the trash and to find some water for the flowers. As she is coming around some headstones, out pops a rooster!!! [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] Scared the hello out of her. It was quite funny though to watch her come running over. [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/silly.gif[/img]
    Someday my prince will come!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Now here's my next question, do you have to have a rooster for your chicken to lay eggs? Would they lay them unfertilized?
    [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] The real question, the eternally unanswered question, is:

Which came first? The Chicken or the Egg?

Maybe those folks from Atlanta know?
    Munch
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong.
    Abraham Lincoln
    (1809 - 1865)

Post Thanks / Like

You know...I never looked at the goat photo. It does appear that the goat is performing some type of obstacle course. How cool is that? I might have to run up there just to see that as well. At the latest, I'll go up for their pumpkin season and check out the entire production.
    Also, did you notice on the photo gallery the pumpkin slingshot? You get to shoot a pumpkin across a pond to hit a target in the middle of the pond. As my cousin from Boston would say, "It's wicked cool".

[ July 06, 2005, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Advnt05 ]

Post Thanks / Like

Well, yes, I thought it looked like some sort of catapult, and after the goat picture, it wouldn't surprise me.

Pumpkin season looks like it would be a lot of fun. Please share any future experiences you have there! Let us know if you take out any chickens with that slingshot!
    Sue<br />Many, many visits since 1978<br />1993 CBR<br />2004 WL<br />Feb., 2005 FW<br />May, 2005 Polynesian<br />Next: Sep.2005 Dolphin;Dec.2005 GF

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to have to look at getting a chicken. Nothing beats fresh eggs. Now here's my next question, do you have to have a rooster for your chicken to lay eggs? Would they lay them unfertilized?
    I just checked with a friend of mine who has a farm. She said you do not need a rooster to have the hens lay eggs. In fact, if you plan to eat the eggs, it's probably best to *not* have a rooster as he will fertilize them and that can cause blood to be in the yolk as the embryo would be growing a bit before you gather them.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a commercial blackberry farm yesterday to pick my own blackberries. The place had chickens that wandered out among the vines eating bugs I guess. One particular chicken followed me up and down the row staying close to my feet the entire time.
    Can you pet chickens? If I tried, would he have flown upwards and pecked out my eyes leaving me to rot in the berry patch?
    [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img] I finally gave in and read your post, the first thing I was thinking was you could pet them if you can cathch them. Then when I read what you wrote, after I stopped laughing, I thought, you could still have stumbled out of the berry patch, couldn't you? How were the berries, any good?

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

The berries are actually very good. Usually, I pick wild blackberries and contend with the thorns, snakes, etc... These were on a trellis and were about the size of a large grape. I've never seen a blackberry that big before. Makes the picking go a lot faster. The only question becomes is it worth paying for them verses getting them for free in the wild?

Post Thanks / Like

We have a chicken post? Where have I been?

Ok.. when I was 10 my Mom married a dairy farmer in Quebec. Not unusual except my Mom and I were from Redondo Beach California and had never been away from the City. As far as I knew the chickens we ate had never had a face.

So the new step dad sends me and my mom "into town" (I loved that saying) to pick up 50 chicks for the coop. She hummmed and hawed unsure of what she wanted and decided on 25 of each hens and roosters. She throws them into the coop and we wait till they grow. My step father has no idea there are 25 roosters out there for quit some time and freaked when he found out. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Ever heard of rooster fights? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Now, to get to the barn (my job was to feed the calves) you have to pass the chicken coop. Heart racing and being as quiet as a mouse, I would size up the situation and see what the evil attack roosters were doing as I approched the DANGER ZONE. If they looked up at me I backed off into a shed and waited. If they didn't look up at me I would run full tilt to pass them. I was sure they would claw me to death if they ever caught me.. and they tried to catch me! There was nothing worse then knowing that those birds were running right behind me ready to make beak to seat contact at any moment. Eventually I devised a trail that took me through a barbed wire fence (safer in my mind) just to avoid the area all together. If anybody asked me to gather the eggs I would start in with my attack bird theory and flat out refuse. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Never trust a chicken.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: