Quantcast Any negatives to going during value season?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Are there any negatives to visiting WDW during the value season? Are there less activities/shows or are more rides closed during this time? Specifically the first week in October?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have gone during the Fall value season and it is wonderful!
    The lines are short or at least under a half hour.One time we went on the rapid ride in the Animal Kingdom 4 times in a row!
    There are some rides that are closed but you will find that nowadays no matter when you go.
    The weather is hot and humid but the nights are cool and comfortable.
    It is easier to get PS' and the CMs seem to have more time to chit chat which makes the whole Disney experience more magical and memorable.

Post Thanks / Like

We have gone the first week in Oct for the last 3 years. The crowds are for the most part low they have picked up in the last few year, since this is such a good time to go. The weather is great. The Halloween party is so much fun. The Wine and Food festival is going on at Epcot. The only downside is there could be a major rehab going on, but like said before that seems to be happening more and more throught the whole year.

[ February 24, 2005, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: medic9016 ]

Post Thanks / Like

We've been in Oct. (last week of month) I thought it was great. Crowds were wonderful. We went on Buzz Light Year 4 times in a row.. walked right on. Each one of our girls wanted to go with me and DH, and they wanted to go against me and Dad to see who could get the higher score.
    Only think I noticed, was that the parks all closed a bit earlier than if it was Peak. I'm not 100% sure, but I think during Peak, the parks are open until 9pm or later. When we went, most closed at 6ish.

I mean, that didn't bother us - we just planned for a nice sit down meal, but on one or two occasions, it would have been nice to sleep in and go to the parks later and stay later rather than getting up at the crack of dawn.

Good luck. i say go for it!
    Have a great time!
    [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

There is always a give and take but for me it's well worth it to go when the hours are shorter if the crowds are gone. I'm sure that some things will not be available to you but when you go during peak times you miss out on things because of the crowds anyway.
    First visit-1972
    Contemporary-Ft Wilderness-Royal Palace/DTD-AS Music-AS Movies-AS Sports-Coranado Springs-Pop Century-Animal Kingdom Lodge-Port Orleans Riverside-Hilton/DTD-Port Orleans French Quarter-Caribbean Beach
    Last visit-Mar 2011
    Next visit-Sep 2011

WarEagle

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Intercot! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

I love visiting Disney during value season! Not only are there fewer people but your accommodations cost less!

Although the parks might not be open for as many hours, you're not waiting in long lines so you get just as much done, if not more, in the time you have available to you!

At any time you visit Disney, you're likely to find some attraction or another closed for refurbishment. It's always a disappointment if it happens to be one of your favorite attractions or oen that was on your "must-do" list! For me, this is just another excuse to plan another Disney trip!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Hours are usually shorter as well, which isn't bad because the lines are shorter, BUT you have more time to occupy with other things. If you like to resort hop, etc, might not be a problem. I usually spend more on trips during value season than peak season because I'm looking in more shops etc. Not that it's bad, just costs more.

Post Thanks / Like

Our last 2 trips have been during Value Season (October 2003 and January 2005) and we will continue to travel during this season til our daugher's school schedule dictates otherwise. The park hours seem to be a bit shortened except for EPCOT, but the new Extra Magic Hours seemed to help with this this. We didn't really wait for anything...rides, priority seatings, check in, etc. It is a great time to go!
    August, 2000 - Land & Sea Cruise
    October, 2003 - Wilderness Lodge
    January, 2005 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    January, 2006 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    November, 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Coming Soon...December, 2012 - Beach Club

grimley1968 Guest

We plan FOR value season. It's usually cooler, less humid weather, but still nice. The crowds are much easier to manage. Some rides may close for refurb, but it's never too many at once, IMHO. For the much reduced price you pay for lodging, and the other nice things mentioned above, a couple of rides being refurbished here and there is worth it. I really think it's "value" season only because Disney is trying to entice people back on property during off peak times, rather than for any lack of enjoyment of the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

we go late November/early December usually and i would not plan a vacation to Disney in any other season than value. it is cheaper, much less crowded, not too hot/not too cold usually, etc...yes, parks seem to close earlier but other than that i can think of nothing bad about value season! in fact this year we will be pulling our first grader out of school to go at that time...i kind of think a family vacation to Mickey's House will be most educational and worthwhile that 5 days of first grade!
    Sherry

10 earlier times...
    1-08 ASMo ( MOM AND KIDS FOR 13 DAYS!!!)
    11-08 POP (Mom and Kids for 14 days!!!)
    4-21-10 thru 4-28-10 Pop Century (WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!!)
    8-13 thru 8-19-11 ASMo & 8-19 thru 8-28-11 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone's response. The weather is great, you do not have to wait for rides, & the Halloween Party & Food & Wine fest are great.
    "Celebrate the future, hand in hand"
    Upcoming Trips: March - (escaping Mardi Gras)
    May - Expedition Everest 5K
    November - Wine & Dine Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

September and October are my favorite times to go. Crowds are low and the weather is fabulous. Plus the discounts on hotels.

Post Thanks / Like

We went in October before .. it was great! It was still warm/hot .. hours were a bit shorter, but with the shorter crowds, it didn't make any difference. As other mentioned, many rides/attractions are walk ons.

You couldn't get me to go down in the summer ... way too hot .. way too much time spent in lines!
    ~~Barb~~
    AKL Jambo House - 3/31/12 - 4/8/12
    BWV - 10/07
    BCV - 11/30 - 12/10/04
    BCV - 12/03 (Christmas at WDW)
    Contemp - 10/98
    Contemp - 12/97

BostonChic Guest

Smile

We went Oct.2003 and it was still hot but you could deal!There was 1 ride at Islands of adventure that was closed(popeye's rapids)and we wanted to do it so bad.Other than that we like to go at that time now.went in april 2000 and you can't even compare the crowds to Oct.the lines were still long for good rides,but not like vacations or summer!Its worse I hear.We are gonna try September at po(french quarter)this year [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

We always go during Value season. Like everyone said above: Less expensive, better weather, smaller crowds! What more could you ask for! If you schedule is flexible, don't heitate on going this time of the year.

WARNING: Watch out for Teacher's Convention Weekend (last weekend in October?). We will be in Disney Oct. 24th - 30th. Airfare is starting to get up there for the return trip becuase this is supposedly a "peak travel weekend" for this time of the year. We'll find out how "peek" it is this year. Anybody else out there experience this weekend?
    șOș The Ziemer Family
    Chris, Chrissie, William & Hailey
    1989 Off Grounds (I was only 10]
    2001, 2003, 2005 ASM
    2006 POP
    2008 ASM
    Sept 2010 POR
    Oct 2012 AoA - Food & Wine Festival w/o kids!

Post Thanks / Like

NJ Teacher Convention weekend should be Nov. 10-12, 2005 (Thursday - Sunday). From what I hear, tons of people from NJ head to Disney during this school break time.

We where there this past November from Sunday - Tuesday, right after the convention and the place was PACKED! We got into fewer rides that time than we did when we were there in March. I was thinking that everyone would be headed home on Sunday so the park crowds should be fairly light. Boy was I wrong....and disappointed. We're going this year the 1st week in October. I hope it's a good choice.

[ March 01, 2005, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: cherylclt ]
    Cheryl

Off Property '72, '84, '89, '91, '95
    Polynesian '79
    Grand Floridian '90
    Disney Village Resort '94
    Caribbean Beach '04
    French Quarter '04
    Wilderness Lodge '05
    POP - October '06
    POR - November '06

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, interesting. I guess each state has its own dates. I hope it doesn't get TOOOOO crowded. I can't believe, of all weeks to pick...
    șOș The Ziemer Family
    Chris, Chrissie, William & Hailey
    1989 Off Grounds (I was only 10]
    2001, 2003, 2005 ASM
    2006 POP
    2008 ASM
    Sept 2010 POR
    Oct 2012 AoA - Food & Wine Festival w/o kids!

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Disney,
    I just got my hands on a tentative school schedule for next year and it lists Nov 3 and 4 as Fall Teachers' Conference for 2005. We live in West Bend... you may want to check on this..I will too as we were hoping to go during this break too!!
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Just a quick thought on this since most of the posts are mentioning Oct and Nov. We always went value and it was great. Now thanks to people catching on to this and the extension of the food and wine festival, The majority of October and November are no longer value season. Check the resort pricing matrix in info central.
    Married and Honeymoon at WL 1998
    To many other trips to list

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by sainter:
    I just got my hands on a tentative school schedule for next year and it lists Nov 3 and 4 as Fall Teachers' Conference for 2005.
    Is this the WEAC convention ? We were also looking at going this week as our son would only miss 3 days of school . . . Hmmmmm
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: