Quantcast Character fun for adults...or at least me anyway

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Ever since Mickey used to visit the mall where we put on fish shows every year and he used to walk me back to the fish show whenever I came over to see his show (that's why he's my only pal) I've enjoyed characters.

Now I'm a thirty year old male who is usually in the parks by myself, I'm a former employee of the Tower of Terror, and I still like to play with the characters. More like you do at a renaissance festival than like a five year old hugging Pooh, but still.

Of course, the characters hesitate a bit around me. They talked to me much more when I was wearing a CM costume myself, but now I'll be back in regular people clothes...

How can I communicate that I am here to play with the characters easily? Do I wear a big goofy hat? Even when I'm at the character meals, I have to send a quick signal to them or they will look at me and walk away real quick.

Also, do the characters do posing guests want? I have this idea of making a picture book of various scenes. A picture of bowing to Belle as Beast does after they dance, or of serenading Snow White, or dancing with Aurora, or Mickey presenting mouse ears to me...the possibilities are endless.

Also, tips for communicating with non-speaking characters. Goofy sat down with me one time, and I was trying to have a conversation. I found things to say that I thought would get cute replys, but couldn't read the answers very well.

And so on and so on with those kind of questions...

------------------

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I love characters too... Never mind that I'm a "grown up". I'm always trying to get character photos and such.

Maybe you could ask a character's "handler" to help you out. When you want a photo a certain way, maybe you could ask the person helping the character, to tell you how to go about it. After all, characters are bombarded with lots of guests every day -- and don't always know what to expect. Plus it gets awful hot out in the FL sun!

Just be yourself! I bet the characters love you!

------------------
    beth
    [email protected]
    Intercot Staff Member

"Love and Mercy that's what you need tonight. So Love and Mercy to you and your friends tonight."

For more fun on all things Disney, check out our sister site, www.webdisney.com

For fun and info on the land that started it all check out our sister site: www.intercotwest.com

mikki.young Guest

I agree! We never go with children but do occasionally take our Disney plush - Figaro the cat. The characters are great at interaction even without kids. Try taking an autograph book or just show the enjoyment you get from their interaction; I'm sure they will respond

------------------
    Mikki Young
    Intercot staff - DVC and trip reports
    [email protected]

WDW 19 Trips since 1987
    DLP 10 trips since 1992 including opening day
    Disneyland California 1 trip
    Tokyo Disneyland - not yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I too am a sucker for the characters. I am a nineteen year old guy but everytime I see Mickey, Goofy, etc., I get as excited as if I was five years old. I would not feel like my Disney vacation would be complete without seeing any characters. I enjoy them, they are fun.

------------------
    PGM

"Oh I see." - Tarzan (copying Jane)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there!
    Nice to see someone so enthusiastic about my friends, the Characters.
    First of all, I'm surprised a little bit that you report that the Characters would interact with you more as a CM than when you're in street clothes. Usually, Characters tend to not bother with CMs, and play with any and every Guest, since CMs are not the ones Characters need to impress.
    If you want to communicate with the Characters that you want to play with them....don't try it attempting to be more goofy than Goofy himself. Honestly - it's a turnoff for the big guy when people come up to him and try to do the laugh, or talk in his voice, or when they make a silly joke about how cute it is that "Identical Twins" are taking pictures together - honestly, he's heard it before, and he hears the same jokes like, 100 times a day - not kidding.
    Just be ready for anything - sometimes a Character will be so swamped, that they're forced to "love 'n shove" and not spend tons of time with each Guest. Other times, the Character will be able to do more. It really comes down to the fact that the Character has something specific in mind, and if they don't play for a long period of time, it's because they don't want to, don't have the time to, don't have the ability to, or some other reason.....basically, they do what they want out there, but if you approach them and be nice and smile and stuff, you'll get more. Our favorite Guests are those who say hello when they walk up, rather than shoving an autograph book and pen into Goofy's stomach, and say please and thank you and do not abuse the Character or anything like that.
    As far as posing - almost always, if you ask, they'll do a special pose for you, provided that it is appropriate, does not violate code, does not danger anyone, and is IN CHARACTER. For example - you're NOT going to get Jafar to pose bowing down to Aladdin, or vice versa. Villains are villains - don't hug, shake hands, high five, or anything like that. Provided the pose is within character, they'll most likely pose for you.
    Communication issues:
    Your best way to communicate with fur characters is to TELL them verbally what you mean - the CLEAREST WAY POSSIBLE. Don't try to act out, or "animate" what you want to say to the Character, just because that's how they talk to you. The Characters are HIGHLY trained in body language and non-verbal communication skills. If you don't get the reply you were looking for from a Character, try digging deeper into your bag of things to say - often times, people think they're being original, but they're saying the same thing the 73 Guests before them said. Things like "you're my favorite" usually will earn a nice big hug. Things like "Sign my book!" will usually earn you a nice big attitude from the Character.
    Asking the Character's GREETER is also a good idea to get a clue of what is going on with the Character - especially if you're unfamiliar with the particular personality traits of the Character.
    Bottom line - be yourself, don't try to impress, and don't worry about age or anything, because at WDW, you're either young, or young at heart.

------------------
    Tommy
    °o°

WDW Cast Member
    Epcot Entertainment
    College Recruiting

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice!!!!

I posted last year about meeting characters as an adult and I got great responses. Everyone told me to go ahead and meet them and don't worry what people think! and they were sooooo right. Now I have so many happy memories and the pictures to prove it!! My favorite was Eeyore kissing my head!!

------------------
    jenni b

" if you can shape it in your mind, you can find it in your life."

Post Thanks / Like

My question is: Is it ok to ask one of the princesses for their phone number?

------------------
    ºoº Bama ºoº

We have 999 happy haunts here....But there's room for 1,000. Any volunteers?

Post Thanks / Like

------------------
    beth
    [email protected]
    Intercot Staff Member

"Love and Mercy that's what you need tonight. So Love and Mercy to you and your friends tonight."

For fun and info on the land that started it all check out our sister site: www.intercotwest.com

Post Thanks / Like

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bama:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm, that'd be a negative...

------------------
    Tommy
    °o°

WDW Cast Member
    Epcot Entertainment
    College Recruiting

Post Thanks / Like

Uh, how many of the princesses have phones?

------------------
    --Michael Darling

"Welcome to Alaska. Thanks for flying Dispatch Master Transport"
    (e-mail me if you know what that means)

(Okay, you got me... My real name is John Gilman. But Shhh! Don't tell anyone!)

Disney 2000: June 13-18 with the Elyria HS Madrigal Singers
    (The only known high school choir to have performed on the streets of GB at EPCOT in Renissance Costume)

Disney 2001: June 12-17 with the Elyria HS Madrigal Singers
    (Look for us on June 14 at Downtown Disney by the Lego store!)

Post Thanks / Like

Michael, guess you're too young to remember Princess phones! (It's a 70s kind of thing -- you know way back when you had to DIAL a number and not just punch it in! )

------------------
    beth
    [email protected]
    Intercot Staff Member

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks for all that cool info PrinceVincent!

Cinderella can call me up whenever she wants!

------------------
    "...I say believe in the future. The world is getting better."
    -Walt Disney

In the works:
    -Cedar Point OH 2001
    -Worlds of Adventure 2001
    -Islands of Adventure 2001
    -Walt Disney World 2001
    -DisneyLand 2002

Click here to vote for Intercot as the #1 Disney Site!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Diz Wiz, you have Cinderella, and leave Prince Charming for me LOL

------------------
    Amy AKA Fantasmic
    Intercot Staff-Disney Trivia
    [email protected]

Why not stop by the TRIVIA boards to test those Disney brain cells

"Let your Disney magic shine"- Amy
    Why was "It's a Small World being Played EVERYWHERE in WDW ?"

ROBIN HOOD !!!!!!!!!
    Never Trust Monorail Lime....It's Rickety and never trust Patricia's many accents !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Why don't you visit Intercot's sister sites
    WebDisney
    Intercot West

Post Thanks / Like

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bama:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My most embarassing character interaction came when I inadvertently hit on Megara. She, being polite, asked where we were from. I told her, "Pittsburgh," and then--I don't know what I was thinking--I leaned in and asked, "How about you?"

"Greece," she said.
    "Oh, right," I slapped my forehead. "ANCIENT Greece."

To reiterate, I don't know WHAT I was thinking.

------------------
    "Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding"

[This message has been edited by HooksLeftHand (edited July 22, 2001).]

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

LOL Hookslefthand!

------------------
    beth
    [email protected]
    Intercot Staff Member

Post Thanks / Like

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by beth:
    Michael, guess you're too young to remember Princess phones! (It's a 70s kind of thing

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm only three years old!

------------------
    --Michael Darling
    (who finally got his computer back but will be posting in a limited capacity for a while...)

If I dance well, can I still dance?

"I ain't got no time for no jibba jabba! I piddy the foo who fly with dat foo Murdock!" -Mr. T.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: