Quantcast Dr. Laura says don't take your kids out of school for WDW!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help!!!
    Today on Dr. Laura's radio show, she said no one should take their kids out of school for a family vacation to WDW. Now, I don't want to bash Dr. Laura here. I have a lot of respect for her, even if she is a little rough on people at times. My problem is this--we're taking our kids out of school for a week this September to go to WDW. My sister is on the school board in her town, and has told me not to do this either. (She's never been there.) She says her school superintendant says they have a real problem with kids missing school because of WDW trips.
    What I want to know is if you guys think this is wrong or right. Ya, I know it's educational. My boys will be in 3rd and 6th grade when we go. I know I could never do this when they are older. And the first month (so I'm told) is mostly review from the previous year. They are good students and get good grades. I'm going to tell the teachers from day one that we are going, and get homework if they'll let me. Will they fall behind? I would really love to hear from any teachers out there who are also WDW fans. And I know there are alot! How DO teachers feel about kids leaving school to go to WDW?!?!? Thanks anyone for your imput!

------------------
    Barbruka 74,77,82,87,95, offsite
    99 DXL
    Next trip Sept. 2001

"I am there everyday in my heart and in my memories."

[This message has been edited by Barbruka (edited January 25, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Barbruka (edited January 27, 2001).]

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have kids but I say go for it. What these people don't understand it that is hard for 2 working parents to schedule vacation time together. My mother & my aunt are both teachers & have told me this is a common thing to do now.

------------------
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff:
    Theme Parks/Characters
    [email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"
    Special thanks to everyone for making the NJ Meet a sucess!

Next Planned trip August 2001

Let's go for 3 for 3

NJ Devils 2000 Stanley Cup Champs

NY Yankess 2000 World Series Champs

NY Giants 2001 Superbowl Champs?

Post Thanks / Like

About 75% of the kids who attend the school that I teach at are on free and reduced lunch. That means their families are at or below the poverty level.

So what does that have to do with not taking your kids out of school for a trip to WDW?

During the school year is value season, not only at WDW, but other vacation spots as well. During the school year is the only time most of our parents can afford to take their children to WDW.

I get very cranky with other teachers who feel that their class is the most important thing in the students' lives. (Don't they know it is my class that is the most important ) A child can learn just as much, if not more, on a vacation as in a classroom.

Two of my students just returned from Washington D.C. Mom was at a conference there, and her company not only paid for children to go, but provided tours around DC for the kids while the parents were at the conference.

I'll bet these 2 students learned a lot more in DC than they would have in my class!

I say take you kids to WDW. Let the teachers know in advance that you will be going.

A word of warning, however, if your state has a state mandated test, check the dates of those tests before scheduling your vacation. In Colorado if a student is absent during the testing, they receive a zero on the test. The school then receives less money from tax dollars for poor performance. In the future I see principals refusing to excuse absences during testing dates because of laws like the one here in Colorado.

P.S. Don't forget the teachers when you buy those souvenirs!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Well even though quite selfishly I would love it if NO parents took their kids out of school so it was less crowded when I go during off-peak times, I'd say go for it!

I mean school goes on for years and years and years ... What's one week ? And I agree that vacations can be very educational. I'm a big supporter of learning outside the classroom as well as inside.

My parents took my out of school 3 times to go and I don't think I suffered any.

Go ... Enjoy ... Plan ahead ... Everything will work out fine !

------------------
    Ian: aka WDWacky
    Intercot Moderator - Collectables and Mousellaneous
    [email protected]

Why not stop over and visit The Collectables Board and talk about your favorite Disney "Stuff"?!

For more great Disney info be sure to visit our sister sites Webdisney
    And for more info on the park that started it all visit Intercot West

Click here for info on the planned Northeast Intercot Meet for 2-2001! February Meet

PolyGirl40 Guest

Barbruka,

Okay..I am very passionate on this issue..I've struggled with the same feelings myself...However, We take our kids out of school..My oldest is 14 & in 9th grade..He has block schedules..(90 minute classes)...Which means for every day he misses, it totals 2 days of studies...

I inform the school and his teachers...He stays after school the week before and the week after our return...He also takes his homework with him...He does not fall behind..He knows that he must work to maintain his grades..OR ELSE!!!...

We've always done this...Many teachers choose to give him "on the job" assignments...Last year for instance, his spanish teacher had him bring back maps, menus, etc in Spanish.....

The assignments have varied over the years..He's written daily journals, logged various birds, trees, flowers...done reports on the HoP and EPCOT countries...etc...It is very educational, especially when it is part of their homework...

I guess what I am saying is..Take them!!! ..plus I'm not a fan of Dr. Laura!!..

------------------

~*~ Carol ~*~
    Next Trip: March 2001 - Polynesian

~ To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides ~

[This message has been edited by PolyGirl40 (edited January 25, 2001).]

Post Thanks / Like

Now, this is just my .02 here...

I'd have to say that you shouldn't listen to what people with TV and radio call-in shows have to say about what you should or shouldn't do and, instead, talk to your children's teachers to see if they think it would be too detrimental to their grades.

Maybe their teachers can give them some work to do at nights or maybe (this is even better, if you ask me) do some research at Epcot or Animal Kingdom to present to the class when they get back.

That way, they can have fun at WDW and learn as well (something that I find jsut as much fun). Plus, the other students will get to hear about their trip without distracting them from regular class time...

But, again, just my 2 cents...

------------------
    Visits:
    1989: off-site
    1996: Poly
    6/11/2000-6/20/2000: GF

Post Thanks / Like

I believe each situaton is different. Depends on the child's ability to either take work with her/him or catch up after they return.

What is the school's policy? Some schools will not give excused absences for trips such as this. Student receives a zero in each class/test they miss.

I took my daughter out of school for a couple of days when she was in the first grade for a trip to WDW but it would be really hard for her now (eight grade) with the type of work load she has.

I would never want anyone to miss an opportunity to visit WDW but you have to weigh all the variables.

But I wouldn't make my decision on the advise of a talk show host!

------------------
    Frankie aka pjbs35a
    Intercot Moderator
    <A HREF="mailto:
    [email protected]">
    [email protected]</A>

“Far better it is to dare mighty things,
    to win glorious triumphs,
    even though checkered by failure,
    than to take rank with those poor spirits
    who neither enjoy much nor suffer much,
    because they live in the gray twilight
    that knows not victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

FIRST TRIP 1980 - LAST TRIP 2000 - NEXT TRIP - IN PLANNING STAGES
    Romans 8:31

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Two of my students just returned from Washington D.C. Mom was at a conference there, and her company not only paid for children to go, but provided tours around DC for the kids while the parents were at the conference.

I'll bet these 2 students learned a lot more in DC than they would have in my class!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope they learned to stand to the right on the escalator when walking in Metro stations! (Tourists.....OY!)

Honestly, though, (and how on earth am I going to say this w/out sounding biased) just HOW much credibility should we be giving to Dr. Laura anyway? In the end, YOU know your child's needs best. If you feel as though they won't fall too far behind, then I say go for it.

However, if your child is struggling, perhaps this is isn't the best idea. Only you can make that decision...however, it's certainly a good idea to do some "research" in the manner that you are doing...

------------------
    Somebody call I-X-I-I!!!

WL/ASMu--September 2000

Celebrate The Future Hand In Hand!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As an aside, in what area is "Dr. Laura's" doctorate? She certainly seems to have what she considers to be an informed opinion on all subjects. Perhaps she is like a Marketing professor I had, Dr. _____, whose doctorate was in MUSIC!

------------------
    SteveL
    Intercot Staff Member
    [email protected]

Personal hero: Jethro Bodine

Post Thanks / Like

This isn't really the subject of the topic, but I believe her PhD is in Physical Education... I could be wrong though (there's always a first time )

So far, the feeling I'm getting is that the teachers should maybe give them some extra work or projects to do while in WDW...

------------------
    Visits:
    1989: off-site
    1996: Poly
    6/11/2000-6/20/2000: GF

bradleysnana Guest

My sister is a teacher and she took her son out of school to go to Disney.
    She did make an educational trip out of.
    I say if your children are good students and there are not any required test at the time-Go for it!! Make sure you go to Epcot and get some geography lessons.

------------------
    Nana to Brad and Alex
    M-I-C (see ya real soon) K-E-Y (why, because we like you) M o u s e

Becky (aka Bradleysnana)
    Intercot Staff
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Also, depending on the age of the children, they could certainly do some educational-ish type work, ESPECIALLY at a park like Epcot.

Perhaps you could offer to have your children write up a little report about each of the countries at World Showcase (and what better for them to learn about other cultures than through the KidCOT Passport?).

Just an idea...

------------------
    Somebody call I-X-I-I!!!

WL/ASMu--September 2000

Celebrate The Future Hand In Hand!!!

Post Thanks / Like

"Dr. Laura's" PhD is in Physiology.

Many years ago, when our kids were still in school, we never had any opposition from the school's administrators when we took them out for WDW trips. The teachers were all very understanding and gave the kids some definite assignments to complete during their absence, and usually required some type of written or oral "trip report" when they returned.

Admittedly, that was quite a few years ago, and things have changed, but I still firmly believe that travel and time with one's family, no matter what form it takes, is educational in its own way.

------------------
    Ed, aka TiggTigg5
    [email protected]
    Intercot Staff Imagineer

NYC, NJ, DE, MD, Eastern PA Intercotees ! -
    CLICK HERE FOR UPDATED INFO about the Regional Intercot Meet on Sunday, Feb 18, '01! Sign up NOW !

Visit Our Intercot Family Sites:

Intercot: Walt Disney World Inside & Out
    Intercot West: Disneyland Inside & Out
    Webdisney: The Definitive Guide To Disney On The Internet
    Intercot Radio: Featuring the sounds of the Disney Theme Parks!
    ________
    silver surfer reviews
    Last edited by Ed; 01-18-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I can't believe the response so fast from all of you. Thankyou all so far for your many opinions. I think I'm going to print this out when it starts to die down, and keep it to show to their teachers at the end of August. Maybe that will help smooth things over with them, and they'll know that this can be a good thing!

------------------
    99 DXL
    Next trip Sept. 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

While I am in the corner of: no way would I ever take my children out of school for a family vacation (and I have three in(or out) of college right now, they never were taken out for a vacation), it does behoove me to say that at the local high schools, students are going on a week long school sponsored CLOSE UP trip to Washington this week and last week (depending on the high school you attend). The only criteria was 1) Last report card had all passing grades (C or higher) and 2) you paid the full $$ for the trip.

Now, what is the difference? Education at EPCOT or Education in Washington, DC ... it's still education, and they are still missing 5 days of school...

------------------
    Ali's Mom
    Intercot Staff Member
    [email protected]

Up Next: Shades of Green : June 2șoș1 - See you at the Intercot Meet!

Disneyitis (Dis ney i' tis) n 1.condition related to the uncontrollable
    desire to return to the World. Subjects with this condition are known to frequent notefiles, web pages, and newsgroups.

Post Thanks / Like

Look, i'm not a teacher and maybe the fact that I'm a student biases me, but when I was in 2nd grade my family went to WDW in November. It never hurt my grades. I had straight As all through grade school high school. It really isn't the big deal that everyone makes it out to be. If they want to catch up, they will.

------------------
    Jan
    WDW 1996 Age: 13 (Polynesian)
    --8th GRADE GRAD
    WDW 1997 Age: 14 (Caribbean Beach)
    --HS FRESHMAN TRIP
    WDW 1999 Age: 16 (Port Orleans)
    WDW 2000 Age: 17 (All-Star Sports)
    --HS GRAD SENIOR WEEK
    WDW 2001 Age: 18 (Vista Way or Chatham Square)
    --WDWCP KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Beth says (and yes, I do have a doctorate, so I have every right to call myself that, as does Dr. Laura -- we both have PhDs), it's your child and YOU know what's best.

Of course, when was the last time you saw Dr. Laura on line at WDW during peak summer season?

------------------
    beth
    [email protected]
    Intercot Staff Member

"Love and Mercy that's what you need tonight. So Love and Mercy to you and your friends tonight."

For more fun on all things Disney, check out our sister site, www.webdisney.com

For fun and info on the land that started it all check out our sister site: www.intercotwest.com

TiggerRPh Guest

Cool

Ok, now for my 2/10 of a dollar:

I respect Dr. Laura and usually agree with what she says about personal responsibility and personal behavior...but on this she's all wet!!

Couple of points -

As a parent, you have to gauge how your kid is doing in school and if necessary discuss with teachers to decide how much of a problem the missed school time will be.

If you spend some time in your kids school, you'll be amazed how much non productive time there is during a school day. We all think that these kids are working all the time during the school day. Check it out when your kids miss a couple of days of school and see how long it takes them to make up the school work.

I'm not sure what the deal is, but I've never met an administrator of a school say it's "a good idea" to take kids out of school for a WDW trip.

There is so much going on in WDW and much of it blatenly educational (Epcot, AK, etc.).

A thing that had always confused me is this: In northern Wisconsin, deer hunting is a major social event. When deer hunting season starts, a lot (and I mean a lot) of boys miss a weeks worth of school to go hunting with dad. School administrators never say a thing about this, but mention going to WDW for 1-2 weeks....and my God, you thought the world was ending....go figure!!

Okay, now for personal experience -

We have gone to WDW with our kids for 10 years now and have taken the kids out of school everytime. We get as much make up work as possible before we leave and get the rest when we come back. My kids have never spent more than a couple of days making up 10 days of missed school

This year we were the most nervous with our oldest starting high school. Amazingly not one of the teachers had a problem with the trip and he made up the missed work quite easily.

The bottom line -

You as a parent need to know your kids and make a decision that you are comfortable with. You are the ultimate educator of your children...and you have the right make any decision that you feel is appropriate for your kids.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now!!!

Thanks for listening.

------------------
    ...the most wonderful things about Tiggers, is I'm the only one.

Ray(aka TiggerRPh)
    Intercot Staff : Disney & Orlando Dining; The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in school, my parents took me and my brother out several times for family vacations. My teachers never had a problem with it. We went to Disney World, we went to grandma's, we saw Discovery lift off for the first time after Challenger. We were both good students, and never had any trouble catching up. (Admittedly I was the better student, but my brother never had problems either. He was a mid-B student.)

My parents always felt that the time we spent together as a family more than justified missing school for a few days. My father is a pilot and my mother works for the department of defense. That made it hard to even find time to take a vacation together at all! We went during schoo breaks when we could but that wasn't always possible.

If this is the best time for your family to go, then go. Just be responsible and talk to your kids' teachers. Like everyone else has said, only you know your kids well enough to decide.

And I never liked Dr. Laura anyway.

------------------
    Amanda aka:delarosa
    Intercot Vacation Planning Moderator &
    WDW College Program Alumna (Spring 2000)
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Laura is not the person I get my advice from on any regular basis. I just listen to her when I work two days a week. But, the reason she said not to take your kids out for a family vacation is because you are sending a message to them that education in schools is not important. NOBODY is a bigger advocate for children than Dr. Laura. And anyone who listens to her regularly knows that. It's just when you hear from several people and then her about this, you start to wonder...

------------------
    99 DXL
    Next trip Sept. 2001

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: