Quantcast Epcot loses yet another sponsor - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

The last time I was in epcot was in '96, I'll be going there in nov of this year and I'm prepping myself for not being able to go on my fav rides anymore.
    Any new investment to actually improve and add to the park gets my thumbs up, maybe we all should send emails, fill out "customer satisfaction" forms and write letters to tell them this is what we want? Tho, that is assuming they read them now adays.

As for the sponsor of SE, maybe Cisco should offer - replacing one big comms firm with another big comms firm [img]smile.gif[/img]

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the ideas at the start of this conversatino about what Epcot can do for it's future are great. However, in reading through I picked up on the plans for a 5th park!!! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

Any input as to what this park may be? Where? How big? Theme? etc? Any details at all?
    StegyBear

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Roland:
    Do Six Flags, Busch Gardens and Universal have sponsors also or do they pay for their attractions themselves?
    All of these parks have sponsors for some attractions. Deer Park is one of the sponsors for Six Flags and Air Lingus is one for Busch Gardens. I can't think of any for Universal, but I know they have some!
    Casey (aka DisneyWizard, Wizzy)

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by DisneyWizard:
    All of these parks have sponsors for some attractions. Deer Park is one of the sponsors for Six Flags and Air Lingus is one for Busch Gardens. I can't think of any for Universal, but I know they have some!
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering because it seems that there are a lot of ways to sponsor an attraction or park in general for the advertisement factor without actually handing over cash. I just don't recall it being at Universal.

According to the resort mugs thread, soda is given freely for the advertisement factor alone.

[ August 24, 2002, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Roland ]
    '92 - August, Disneyland<br />'96 - April, WL<br />'97 - October, offsite<br />'98 - Sept., Dixie Landings<br />'99 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Oct., All Sports<br />'01 - Jan., All Sports<br />'01 - May WL<br />'01 - July All-Sports<br />'01 - Sept. CBR/Poly<br />'01 - Nov. Dixie Landings<br />'02 - Jan. All Sports/WL<br />'02 - May Poly/All-Stars (I really didn't enjoy this trip)<br />'02 - July POFQ <br />'02 - Sept All Sports/WL<br />'02 - Dec Movies<br />'03 - Jan POFQ<br />'03 - Sept POR<br />'03 - Dec WL

Post Thanks / Like

There sponsorship contract expire and they either choose to renew or not.
    AT&T was not the original sponsor of SE (which has undergone many updates since it first opened), neither was Nestle the original sponsor of the Land (Kraft was). I believe that Kodak (Imagination), GM (Motion) and Exxon (Energy) were the only original sponsors who have continued to renew their contracts since it opened, and if no word has been heard, then I guess for the 3rd decade!!!
    Sponsors pay something like $10 million to 'sponsor' an attraction/pavilion for 10 years.

[ August 25, 2002, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Handshaw 100+visits ]
    I'd rather be@Walt Disney World :)<br />'04<br />&gt;12/17-24@AS:S,MVMCP<br />&gt;12/3-5@AS:S,MVMCP<br />10/22-24@PC,MNSSHP<br />10/8-10@AS:S,MNSSHP<br />8/1-6,9/10@DoI:N,9/11-12,9/26@DoI:BB<br />7/16-19@PC<br />7/2-5@AS:Mv<br />6/18-21@PC<br />1/1-4,1/16-18,5/4-11,6/5DoI:MI<br />42 days, so far@WDW in '04<br />&gt;586 days@WDW as of 1/1/4<br />'02)68 days@WDW+3 DoI:MI+MJ+Pr, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'02)65 days@WDW+1 DoI:Pr, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'01)53 days@WDW+1 D.onIce:TS2, MNSSHP, MVMCP<br />'00)36 days@WDW+MVMCP<br />'99)46 days@WDW+MVMCP<br />'72-'99)AS:Mu, DIx2, Poly x2, GF, C

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree that Disney needs to learn how to market Epcot. People will go if they know and understand what they are going for! People got to museums and many people love going to museums! So the reason Epcot is failing isn't because it's educational. It's because people expect it to be all rides like all the other parks.

And as was mentioned earlier, Disney didn't change Epcot for over a decade and decided to way to combat the falling attendance was to put in a thrill ride. Well, now you have thrill seekers rushing in, riding one ride, and then being bored all day! And that's exactly what they're going to tell their friends. That they went and spent $45-50 to ride one ride. Adding thrill rides is ok as long as you market more than the thrill rides. Watch the vacation planning video sometime. It seems all they do is try and build up how thrilling the attractions are here! Which in my opinion is not the way to advertise this park.
    "You don't build it for yourself. You know what the people want and you build it for them." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Santamurray hit it on the head. The World Showcase is one of my family's favorite parts of DW and we always spend hours there. The atmosphere is enchanting, and we get excited when we hear rumors of a new country being added. Test track is fun, but this thrill ride emphasis is akin to corporate obsession on quarterly profits. Any foresight, re-investment, and creativity are sacrificed to appeal to the basest instincts. If thrill rides were what made DW special, it'd be just another Six Flags with no special appeal to all ages. People come to DW (and we frequent this board) because DW has always offered a total experience based on an appeal to all senses, not just primal screams.
    Forever let us hold our banners high
    Trips:
    78, 85 - Holiday Inn Main Gate
    86 - Days Inn International Drive
    87, 88 - Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing
    94, 99, 00 - Fort Wilderness Homes
    Dec 02 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    2009-2010 Disneyland, Paradise Pier and Candy Cane Inn

Post Thanks / Like

Reading through all these replies really got me to thinking about Epcot, and Disney in general. It seems that all of us understand Epcot, and know exactly what it is supposed to be, but then why does it seem that Disney doesn't understand it? As was said so many times, getting rid of WoM, Horizons, and JII would be like taking PoC and HM from MK. They turned a park that someone could spend at least two days in, without fully exploring it, into a place that people leave not knowing what they just did or saw. Epcot used to excite so many people's minds, and that was how it was supposed to be, but slowly but surely, it is changing for the worst. Epcot always used to be my favorite park, but as it gets worse and worse, it goes down my list, and soon, AK will be creeping up on it. I just pray that they figure out what they're doing wrong to the incredible place known as Epcot, and they turn it into my favorite park once again.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

It almost seems like Disney's current corporate philosophy is to remove it's "timeless" attractions in favor of lackluster replacements. Can anyone honestly tell me that Wonders of Life and The Living Seas didn't deserve the wrecking ball moreso than Horizons, World of Motion, and Journey Into Imagination? Will The Land remain an underglorifed food court? Does Communicore deserve to be locked up forever?

The beauty of Horizons, World of Motion, and Journey Into Imagination was that these 3 attractions required very little of the "up to date" factor, whereas, Wonders of Life, The Living Seas, World of Energy, and Innovations require constant attention. All of these latter mentioned attractions are, quite frankly, boring because Disney is not devoting the time and resources necessary to keep these attractions fresh and exciting.

I'm actually pleased AT&T is choosing not to continue with their sponsorship of Spaceship Earth. Should a new sponsor, such as Microsoft, pick up the sponsorship, I wouldn't be so much concerned about the ride being altered as much as I would be looking forward to the post-ride activities section of Spaceship Earth being updated with new technology and new activites. Let's be honest, those post-ride activities at Spaceship Earth are painfully outdated.

My point is, don't look at a loss of sponsorship as the end of an era for EPCOT, but a chance for someone with a new perspective to come in and give EPCOT the technological and some might say "spiritual" lift it so desparately needs.
    WDW - 79: Contemporary
    WDW - 82: Fort Wilderness
    WDW - 87: Polynesian
    DLR - 90: Disneyland Hotel
    WDW - 02: Off Site - F&G Festival
    WDW - 02: Off Site
    DLR - 04: Disneyland Hotel
    WDW - 04: Pop Century Resort - F&W Festival
    DLRP - 05: Sequoia Lodge
    WDW - 05: Pop Century Resort - MNSSHP

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Sigh..........

Imagine my despair when I realized that our family had arrived at WDW and, more specifically, EPCOT, on the day AFTER Horizons had closed forever! Not to mention the fact that on our previous visit, Horizons was down for repairs. [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Imagine my discouragement on my last trip through the Living Seas pavilion with the hydrolators being closed, some tacky looking partition in place, and the interior looking like some third grader's attempt at an aquarium. [img]graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Imagine my disgust when Journey Into Imagination was destroyed and replaced with, now what was that thing...........gee, I don't even remember what that was!

My most favorite park in the world is losing its uniqueness. Future World seems to be morphing into some place else to stick some thrill rides because the corporation doesn't want to shell out the funds for a new park. The World Showcase looks sad and lonely. Thank heavens that IllumiNations still looks great.

How can we, as the regular people, who pay our hard-earned money as return guests, impress upon Eisner or whoever is "in charge" to get it together??? I see movies being cranked out (along with merchandising galore) and international parks getting the star treatment, but where is the care and concern over the "old home place." Just because you build a house does NOT mean it doesn't need constant attention! The current state of affairs leads me to feel that Eisner (or whoever) thinks me quite the buffoon who will return to WDW over and over, no matter its condition.

Well, you know, one day, I might just get sick and tired of getting "taken."

Disney Corporation, you better wake up. Run these parks as if Walt himself were standing over your shoulder every day. His parks have been such a phenomenon because of his commitment to excellence and creativity. This resting on your laurels stuff needs to come to a screeching halt. Then, your loyal fan base just might come running back to you.

Remember the baseball strike a few years back and its result on fans' interest?

I do......... [img]graemlins/thedolls.gif[/img]

P.S.
    Please forgive my ranting and raving...I just had to voice my never-to-be-humble opinion! I just love WDW and hate to stand by and watch its ruination. Perhaps this is the dark before the dawn -- I hope. [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time...and for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. We now have the ability and the responsibility to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us, to create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth."

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely agree with what most of you are saying here. EPCOT was always my favorite park because of the vast array of new experiences you could have in one space. If only school could have been as entertaining while educating as EPCOT once was! This year two of my friends who had never been to Disney before were excited about going to EPCOT because they knew it had been my favorite since it first opened. Typically I love taking people to Disney who have never been before, or haven't been since they were kids because it gives me a chance to look at the park again through their eyes. I felt bad for them because they couldn't see what I once loved so much about the park. I used to make a beeline for JII as soon as I passed through the entrance. I wanted to cry when I saw what they replaced it with the first time!! For the past three or four years, I found myself growing bored when I walk through World Showcase. The potential of being a fantastic park again is there. Maybe Disney should be asking us, the ones who are posting to this board and obviously care what happens to our park, what we want to see.

To the Disney powers that be: I beg you to rescue the park!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Communicores close from lax attendance, everyone pulling out of it between 89-94 and technology advancing so fast, as soon as they put something in it was obsolete? There was only 1 sponsor that kept their pavilion 82-94. Exxon.

Post Thanks / Like

In the mid and late 90's Epcot/Future World was always really crowded. Oddly enough, it seems like ever since they changed JII that has changed. That to me is sort of the turning point. I never felt the same about Epcot after that. It does seem like they destroyed future World's best rides doesn't it? I know that when I go to Epcot my time in FW is very limited. I usually ride SE every trip but some of the other attractions I really don't care for so I either ride them once every few trips or not at all. I still enjoy WS, there is great food and shopping and of course Illluminations! I even like Maelstrom and El rio de tiempo more than most of FW. My favorite imaginitive "dark rides" at Epcot
    are gone.....maybe if they had never taken away JII and Horizons and put money into updating the Living Seas maybe FW wouldn't be so empty. If they really wanted Mission:Space in Epcot couldn't there have been a better place than Horizons?
    come visit Sam's memorial site
    http://sam-wood.memory-of.com

Sponsor the Celebrating Sam Team and help us Light the Night again in 2007!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Epcot needs to have its 'hey look at me' theme adjusted, It should be 'sold' as a educational but fun park, not a thrill park, a big interactive museum.

Around where I live we have a Renaissance fair, which is set back in that era. It is really cool, and LOTS of people go to it. If Epcot gets sold like that is "You can go and experence some of each country from the globe in the World Showcase" it might bring the attendence up and let people know the real purpose of the park.
    [*]2011 Wilderness Camp Ground Apr 17-21
    [*]2009 Pop
    [*]2007 - 2010 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2005 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2002 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2001 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2000 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]1998 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]1989 Off-site

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: