Quantcast Gap Taps Disney Parks Chief as CEO

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gap Taps Disney Parks Chief as CEO
    Thu Sep 26, 9:26 AM ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Gap Inc. , the largest U.S. specialty apparel retailer, on Thursday said it named Paul Pressler, head of Walt Disney Co.'s theme parks and resorts unit, to succeed Millard "Mickey" Drexler as its chief executive.

Gap said Pressler will become president and CEO effective immediately, putting him in charge just in time for the all-important holiday sales period. The company had said Drexler would retire as soon as a successor was found.

The San Francisco-based company -- which operates over 4,200 Gap, Banana Republic, and Old Navy stores -- has been seeking a successor for Drexler since May.

Pressler, 46, is a 15-year veteran of Disney. His retail experience includes three years at the helm of Disney Stores.

During his tenure, Disney Stores grew to 335 from 160 in eight countries. He comes to Gap in a period of slowing growth rather than rapid expansion.

Some analysts have criticized the retailer for continuing to open new stores as same-store sales lag.

"He did run Disney stores, so there is considerable familiarity with the problems and opportunities that exist in the area of retailing," said Kurt Barnard, president of Barnard's Retail Consulting Group.

"What he has to try to do is bring more customers into Gap and get them to buy more merchandise that is not marked down, as has been the case for a long time."

Gap, once hailed as a beacon of retailing success, has foundered for more than two years after an ill-fated foray into trendy clothes that alienated traditional Gap customers. Earlier this month, it reported its 29th straight month of declines in sales at stores open at least one year.

Drexler, 57, is considered by many to be the brains behind Gap's meteoric growth and its influence over American casual style in the 1990s, but he was at the helm when Gap made an ill-fated foray into trendy clothes that alienated the traditional Gap customer more than two years ago.

The stock closed on Wednesday at $11.99 on the New York Stock Exchange ( news - web sites), at the low end of its 52-week range of $17.14 to $9.25.
    John Y
    Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer
    INTERCOT, Mousehut & Webdisney

At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.

-Abraham Lincoln

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The official press release:

Gap Inc. Announces New CEO

Disney Executive Paul Pressler Named President and CEO of Gap Inc.

SAN FRANCISCO -- September 26, 2002 -- Gap Inc. (NYSE:GPS) today announced that Paul Pressler, a 15-year veteran of The Walt Disney Company and Chairman of its global theme park and resorts division, has been named President and Chief Executive Officer of Gap Inc., effective immediately.

Mr. Pressler, 46, succeeds outgoing CEO Millard S. Drexler, who announced in May his plans to retire as soon as his replacement was hired.

Commenting on the announcement, Gap Inc. Chairman and Founder Donald Fisher said: "We conducted a comprehensive search for new leadership and were compelled by Paul's track record and depth of experience in marketing one of the world's most beloved brands.

"Paul knows how to lead creative, customer-focused organizations and manage and grow complex businesses both in the United States and internationally," Mr. Fisher said. "We are incredibly pleased with the outcome of our search and are greatly looking forward to having Paul lead the company."

Mr. Fisher said he intends to recommend to Gap Inc.'s Board of Directors that Mr. Pressler be appointed a director.

As chairman of Disney's world-renowned theme parks and resorts, Mr. Pressler was responsible for the growth, brand development and operations of Disney's six US-based theme parks in California and Florida, and four international sites in Paris and Tokyo, as well as for the development of Disney's eleventh theme park in Hong Kong. With revenues of over $6 billion, the division also includes more than 22 hotels, two cruise ships and Walt Disney Imagineering, the division that creates, designs and builds these assets.

Previously, Mr. Pressler served as president of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif., where he led the complex expansion of Disney's original theme park and a massive urban renewal of the Anaheim area. Mr. Pressler came to Disneyland from The Disney Stores, where he was president for three years. During his tenure, The Disney Stores grew from 160 to 335 in eight countries around the world.

Of his appointment, Mr. Pressler commented, "I am honored to have the opportunity to lead the many talented people at Gap Inc. Together, we will continue the great legacy of the Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic brands, while creating a new and exciting vision of the future."

Mr. Pressler started at Disney in 1987 as Senior Vice President, Product Licensing, and was promoted to Senior Vice President, Consumer Products, in 1990. Prior to joining Disney, he held various branding and marketing positions at Remco Toys, Mego Toys and Kenner-Parker.

The search was conducted by Herbert Mines Associates and Heidrick & Struggles.
    John Y

At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.

-Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

I love the "positive spin" that they put on this. Of course, no note that the quality of the Disney park experience has declined under pressler like no other head of theme parks.

Disgusting.

All we can hope for is that they put a "Walt man" in his place (or woman for that matter... the term referring to the old school Walt Man or Roy Man in the studios). Maybe Cynthia from Disneyland would be a logical choice.
    John Y

-Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

There is a God!!!! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    "I'd like to go back, one time, on a rollercoaster ride. Life's just a game." - Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Best news in months. May I never hear his name again!

kansasteen13 Guest

I think Cynthia Harris would be great as a replacement. she is doing quite well on the DLR.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Gotta agree with you, John. I mean Pressler made his name with the Disney Stores and his legacy has been their virtual extinction.

Then he takes over the theme parks and the result is a big ditto.

I think someone at The Gap has been sniffing the blue jeans dye ...
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an opportunity for Disney, hope they don't blow it. I hope they replace Pressler with a Walt "person," someone more interested in creating great guests experiences and less interested in trimming as much cost as he or she can.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Someone, please pinch me!!!! I must be dreaming!!

[img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

One down, one to go [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

And of course, Paul's sudden availability has nothing to do with the recent Disney Board meeting putting pressure on Eisner. And in turn, Paul seeing life was not going to be too pleasant under the newly revived, refocused, rejuvenated and re-invigorated Eisner. Mmmmmmmmm

[ September 26, 2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Roland ]
    '92 - August, Disneyland<br />'96 - April, WL<br />'97 - October, offsite<br />'98 - Sept., Dixie Landings<br />'99 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Oct., All Sports<br />'01 - Jan., All Sports<br />'01 - May WL<br />'01 - July All-Sports<br />'01 - Sept. CBR/Poly<br />'01 - Nov. Dixie Landings<br />'02 - Jan. All Sports/WL<br />'02 - May Poly/All-Stars (I really didn't enjoy this trip)<br />'02 - July POFQ <br />'02 - Sept All Sports/WL<br />'02 - Dec Movies<br />'03 - Jan POFQ<br />'03 - Sept POR<br />'03 - Dec WL

Post Thanks / Like

FINALLY, A BIT OF GOOD NEWS FROM THE MOUSE !!!

1) I never really liked the GAP.

2) I have complete faith that Pressler will do to the GAP what he did to Disney -
    ... blindly cut costs,
    ... lay off staff and employees,
    ... close stores,
    ... reduce operating hours,
    ... lower customer service levels,
    ... paint during customer hours
    ... reduce janitorial and clean-up services,
    ... care little about quailty.

3) What a splendid opportunity to reverse the trend at WDW !!!

4) I guess he decided to move jobs after Dorothy dropped a house on his sister in Munchinland.

[ September 26, 2002, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: TheRustyScupper ]
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

On a replacement for Pressler....

Cynthia Harris may be the logical choice, but I'm not so sure she's the best choice. I'd hardly classify her as a "Walt" guy. Rumor has it she never even set foot in DL before she took a job with Disney... DCA's performance has been horrible and there's no relief in sight. I'm just not sold on her. I still think she's an Ei$ner croney (aka "yes"-woman).

Let's think outside the box - Al Weiss, current president of WDW or even Judson Green - former president of Walt Disney Attractions (currently doing some tech-thing outside of Disney).
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

Post Thanks / Like

Good news for Disney.

Bad news for the Gap. Although it the only way it can go downhill more is if Baby Gap follows the lead of Gap Kids, which shrunk trashy adult clothes and made them pint-size.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I hope GAP customers can get used to clothing that lacks unnecessary but desirable features like zippers and buttons.

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Please don't even MENTION Al Weiss's name as a possible replacement!! He and Pressler are birds of a feather ... which is why he got where he was in the first place.

I know this will never happen and it might not even be a great idea, but I'd love to see them give the job to Roy Disney. Even if it's only short-term, it sure would be great to have a Disney back in charge of the parks again.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Ding Dong the wicked witch is dead

Did I type that outloud?, Oh well,

It is possible that we still may not get someone in place that isn't perfect but Pre$$ler was pretty darn [img]graemlins/thedolls.gif[/img] and it would be very hard to do worse, if I was a betting man, I would bet on an improvement.

I wonder if Roy Jr. would like to take on a little more work, couldn't hurt to have a DIsney behnd the helm of the parks again, part of Walt's DNA is in there somewhere [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Al Weiss may be another Ei$ner "yes" man, but I'm not so sure he's of the same mold as PP. The unfortunate circumstance is that he may have been dealing with edicts handed down by PP and Ei$ner. In other words, I'm not so sure he's the cause of all the bad things at WDW. I actually think he may be closer to "getting it" than Cynthia Harris.

On other fronts...

Yes, we're all happy to be getting rid of Pressler, but before we swear off the GAP and laugh at them for making the most terrible mistake of their existence, let's not forget he's going somewhere with an entirely different product than Disney. He's a goods and retail guy and at least has a decent track record in that sector. The Disney Store grew and became a good venture because of the work that he did. He left before they oversaturated the market and turned them into a princess outlet. I actually think this is a win-win scenario. Disney gets rid of someone clearly of the wrong mold for the job and the GAP gets someone with a knack for retail. I think he CAN and will do well at the GAP. Part of his problem was he treated the parks like a retail business and they're not. The parks success is directly attributed to the feel and experience they create. It's customer service, not goods, and Pressler just couldn't acknowledge that fact.
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't be more dead-on mjstaceyuofm. Exactly my thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

This is great news! Just as good, if not better, than the monorail expansion rumor that was posted here a few months ago.

Although the press releases on abcnews.com (of all places) make it sound negative, I think this may be the best thing that has happened to Disney's theme parks in the past couple of years.

Think about it... What's really happened under Paul Pressler's management?

[img]graemlins/ack.gif[/img] Reduced park hours and higher ticket prices.
    [img]graemlins/ack.gif[/img] The Magic Carpets of Aladdin and Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama
    [img]graemlins/ack.gif[/img] California Adventure
    [img]graemlins/ack.gif[/img] Caroussel of Progress and Timekeeper's Random Operating Schedules
    [img]graemlins/ack.gif[/img] Sloppy Park and Resort Maintenance, which I'm guessing is a result of his cost-cutting
    [img]graemlins/ack.gif[/img] The elimination of Early Entry for the past few months
    [img]graemlins/ack.gif[/img] Character Caravan
    [img]graemlins/ack.gif[/img] Park schedules that change at the last minute

Just a hunch here, but I don't think he listed all of that stuff on his resume.

The ride may be gone, but there truly is a great big beautiful tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by WDWacky:

I know this will never happen and it might not even be a great idea, but I'd love to see them give the job to Roy Disney. Even if it's only short-term, it sure would be great to have a Disney back in charge of the parks again.
    I love this idea. These parks were Walt's dream, and Roy put off retirement to make sure WDW happened, and even changed the name. I think it would be great to get a Disney in charge of the theme parks. It certainly could not be worse.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Without being too harsh, I'm just glad to see him go. And get out of the Company, on top of that! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    He came, did what he did, and moved on. Just have to say, good luck to the Gap! You'll need it! [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img]

Also...
    Originally posted by Roland:
    One down, one to go [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    I said the exact same thing after I read the news article! [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img]

Now, who will fill his shoes??? One of life's mysteries!
    Matthewºoº<br />Seasonal WDW CM<br />Tomorrowland Merchandise<br /><br />"If you can dream it, you can do it."<br /><br />I also agree with Janet and Ian: <b>NO BAD DANCING!!!</b><br /><br /><i>Anything I post on INTERCOT is subject to change without notice.</i><br /><br /><i>Please don't think I'm weird because I memorize Disney show scripts and safety spiels!</i><br /><br />Rover, don't interrupt while Sarah's interrupting! - <i>from Carousel of Progress</i><br /><br />Something you ate, sir? - <i>from the late Alien Encounter</i>

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: