Quantcast Bus Etiquette?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bus Etiquette?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think it is important to show good manners when riding the resort buses at WDW?

Last time I was down there I was riding the bus back to POR from Epcot. The bus was pretty full due to the fact that the park had just closed. I was standing. There were a lot of people about my age (just hanging on to the threads of my twenties) sitting down. A woman got on holding her sleeping baby. NOT ONE PERSON OFFERED THIS LADY A SEAT. She struggled holding on to the handrail and her child at the same time until we got back to the resort.

I thought this was terrible. The same trip I saw and elderly lady standing while a toddler who could have easily ridden in someone's lap took up a seat.

Now I would never expect someone to give up a seat to me as I am perfecty capable of standing but shouldn't we show some common decency to others.

p.s. One morning a nice gentleman actually did offer his seat to me. I guess chivarly isn't completley dead.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When I enter a bus, I never take the first few rows. I always try to go at least half way down so other people boarding do not have a hard time. I always offer my seat to the elderly and women who are holding children. Quite a few times, I have offered my seat to a lady and after I get up, they put their 5 year old in the seat. I think she misunderstood the point. By all means I am not saying this is frequent and all women do this seat swap, but it does annoy me a bit.

I'll still offer my seat on a crowded bus because that's the way I was raised.
    '92 - August, Disneyland<br />'96 - April, WL<br />'97 - October, offsite<br />'98 - Sept., Dixie Landings<br />'99 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Oct., All Sports<br />'01 - Jan., All Sports<br />'01 - May WL<br />'01 - July All-Sports<br />'01 - Sept. CBR/Poly<br />'01 - Nov. Dixie Landings<br />'02 - Jan. All Sports/WL<br />'02 - May Poly/All-Stars (I really didn't enjoy this trip)<br />'02 - July POFQ <br />'02 - Sept All Sports/WL<br />'02 - Dec Movies<br />'03 - Jan POFQ<br />'03 - Sept POR<br />'03 - Dec WL

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the time we have people that offer their
    seats to others who need to sit. I was offered a
    seat one time which was very nice - I am a grand-
    mother. We also head for the back of the bus when
    we board so it will be easy for other people getting on.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree...I used to take public transportation to work (a rapid transit) and there were always people sitting that could have easily stood so that some of the more elderly people could sit. I also remember a time (I was standing) that a pregnant woman boarded the transit. She was either at her due date or having twins because she was VERY pregnant. Not one person offered for her to sit. I thought she was going to go into labor on the transit. She was sweating and going through her breathing exercises. I moved near her in case she needed help, but she didn't. It was horrible.

Speaking of bus etiquette, another thing that bothers me happens when a bus full of people are attempting to unload. Things would go much faster if people got off in an orderly fashion, but inevitably there are people in the back that go stampeding to the front, causing people to get blocked up and have to wait.

I know, I know....I'm petty and I shouldn't let the little things bother me!

[ May 14, 2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: JennyAnne ]
    1990 - Shades of Green w/ mom, dad, sister and Grammy
    1994 - CBR w/ mom, dad, and sister
    1998 - Pleasure Island w/ sorority sisters
    2004 - CBR
    2010 - One day at MK with my new husband
    2015 - 40th anniversary celebration with my parents, my sister's family,and my family...can't wait!!

Post Thanks / Like

Luckily we've had good luck on buses...the only place we really ride them is at Disney but we've always found our fellow passengers to be very accomodating.

We started teaching our kids about bus etiquette when they were young. You'll be happy to know that my boys (now age 11 and 9) are always the first to offer their seat to someone. They think it's kind of cool to be standing on the bus and they know they are doing a good deed.

The same rules should apply to the monorails when they get crowded.
    Proud mom to Monorail_Red and goofhook and DD Jenn!
    Proud member of the magical Disney Parks Moms Panel family.

I am not a Disney employee. The postings here are my own and do not represent the positions or opinions of the Disney Company.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, It is important to show good bus etiquette. My cousin and her 2yr. old went to WDW and she had to carry the babies stroller on and off the bus, she said someone offered to help her with the stroller. Most people are nice and offer their seats to the elderly or women with children. I could not imagine seeing a woman with a baby standing and not give up my seat! The bad thing about the buses are catching them right after a park closes.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Roland:
    [QB] Quite a few times, I have offered my seat to a lady and after I get up, they put their 5 year old in the seat. I think she misunderstood the point. By all means I am not saying this is frequent and all women do this seat swap, but it does annoy me a bit.

Being a mom of 3 young children I would very much prefer that they be sitting in a seat and not standing. It is very difficult for a 5 year old to stand and hold themselves up while the bus is moving not to mention dangerous. Also, when they do get to that age they tend to be a little too heavy for us moms to carry or to hold on our laps. So, yes I would be one of those ladies who would thank-you profusely and then put my child in the seat - much safer! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lisa [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

My DH will always offer his seat to anyone he thinks could use it better than he, regardless of gender. He's very thoughtful of others that way. Now, if I can just get him to do the dishes [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img]
    Another thing that wasn't mentioned and I hear stories from the WDW bus drivers all the time is strollers. They must be folded. I know it's a pain, especially if the little one is sleeping at the time, but it is much safer to have the stroller folded up and leaning against you than have it wide open and have someone trip and fall, or worse fall on your sleeping child

Post Thanks / Like

I am so happy to see that I am not the only person that notices things like this!!!
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Originally posted by disneynarula:
    Do you think it is important to show good manners when riding the resort buses at WDW?
    I can answer this question very simply - I think it is important to show good manners ANYWHERE.

And, "No one ever does it for me", is not a reason, it's a selfish excuse.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Hear Hear Marker! You are right on the Mark! (No pun intended)

Imagine how much nicer the world would be if we all would use our manners.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is very important! When there in Dec'02 going to all star sports from epcot (park closing) my DS (7) had to stand the whole way and he could not reach any supports but me due to the crowding. However many people were sitting around us that could have stood and carefully avoided eye contact. Oh well.... I know there not here at intercot!
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

Boy is this a sore point for me. I would have to say that 95% of the time I have had good experiences on the Disney busses. Once, I was holding my sleeping 3 yo while standing up. As many of you know this is very difficult. I did not mind that no one offered me a seat, but there was a couple that complained. It's not is if I was bumping into to them or anything. They actially said "Disney should do something about all these kids". One nice man spoke up and said "if you don't want children around you, don't vacation at Disney".

Back at home, when I was 8 months pregnant , the only person who offered me a seat on the bus to work was a very eldery lady (of course I didn't take it). I've noticed that the people most willing to give up a seat are the ones who really need it for themselves.

I always get up for people who need a seat. I look at it this way, I'm glad I have the legs to stand on. I have a family member with MS who can no longer stand. She would give anything to stand on a bus or long line.

[ May 14, 2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: GrandFlo ]
    "Why Worry? If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it better." WD

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, manners matter at all times. I always offer to give my seat to someone that needs it more than I do.

[ May 14, 2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Beast_fanatic ]
    Randy

It all started with a mouse. WD

*85 thru 98 - Offsite
    *Oct 99 - CBR
    *Aug 02 - CBR
    *May 03 - Offsite
    *May 05 - POFQ
    *Sept 05 - POFQ
    *June 07 - Offsite
    *July 07 - Offsite
    *Oct 07 - POFQ
    *Dec 07 - Offsite
    *May 08 - Offsite
    *Sept 08 - CBR
    *May 09 - POFQ
    *Lost count!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I not only offer my seat, but I also MAKE my 14 & 16 year olds offer thiers. If I see a Mom with a sleeping baby, I will make my 10 year old get up as well. It is tuff for her since she can't reach the overhead rails...but she can hold onto the back of a seat. And speaking of taking seats... I have seen strollers taking up seats ... that I think is rude. Yes, I have been there with a stoller, but I would NEVER put it into a seat! I do think that some people leave thier manners at home while on vacation! [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    Sharon L șOș
    One out of every four suffers from a mental illness, check out three friends. If they are ok, it's you.

A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by AMickeyfan:
    And speaking of taking seats... I have seen strollers taking up seats ... that I think is rude.
    It's also dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by AMickeyfan:
    I do think that some people leave thier manners at home while on vacation! [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    What makes you think they have manners at home? [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Piglet822:
    My DH will always offer his seat to anyone he thinks could use it better than he, regardless of gender.
    He does!? But -- He's the driver!! [img]graemlins/doubleeek.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/rotfl.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by PolyGirl40:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Piglet822:
    My DH will always offer his seat to anyone he thinks could use it better than he, regardless of gender.

</font>[/QUOTE]Oooooo! I want to ride/drive his bus!
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by PolyGirl40:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Piglet822:

</font>[/QUOTE][img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laughing.gif[/img]
    '92 - August, Disneyland<br />'96 - April, WL<br />'97 - October, offsite<br />'98 - Sept., Dixie Landings<br />'99 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Sept., WL<br />'00 - Oct., All Sports<br />'01 - Jan., All Sports<br />'01 - May WL<br />'01 - July All-Sports<br />'01 - Sept. CBR/Poly<br />'01 - Nov. Dixie Landings<br />'02 - Jan. All Sports/WL<br />'02 - May Poly/All-Stars (I really didn't enjoy this trip)<br />'02 - July POFQ <br />'02 - Sept All Sports/WL<br />'02 - Dec Movies<br />'03 - Jan POFQ<br />'03 - Sept POR<br />'03 - Dec WL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: