Quantcast So, you think you're ready to be an Imagineer for real? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    kingomvision Guest

Mufasa, thanks for all the great info!!

With all the theme parks in the world today [Disney has 10 (and soon 11 and shanghai possibly 12) Universal has 5 (0r 4?) and there are countless other projects with Disney alone] is theme park design a truly growing industry? i have convinced myself that it is.

Would you agree that entering this field in the next 3-10 years would offer plenty of opportunity?

As a set design student, i figure at least there will always be film and theatre work!

my second question(s): do you think WDI could handle another walt disney? do you think the disney company would allow it? do you think it will ever happen? i know there are a lot of creative people out there, but does the world stand a chance?

thanks [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say that theme park design is a growing industry- opportunities are limited and highly competitive, especially when it comes to either Imagineering or Universal Creative. There are smaller firms in the industry and more and more companies expand out into themed entertainment each year and that's a great way to break into the industry.

However, as I mentioned earlier in this thread the average length of employment in this line of work in one place probably hovers around 18 months. The work is highly volatile and most of the work is project oriented (once the project is complete, you're out of a job and off to find the next project for employment).

It can be a difficult occupation to get into- the same can be said of Hollywood. (in fact, a number of individuals with specialized crafts in themed entertainment split their time with work on projects for the various studios just to keep the work "steady").

Will opportunities in themed entertainment grow over the next 3-10 years? I don't believe it will dramatically. Things ebb and flow in response to the economy since our work is tied into the travel/tourism and entertainment industry.

I don't want to discourage you from following your dreams because in the end Imagineers are some of the biggest dreamers who find a way to turn those dreams into reality. It is important that you approach it with a clear, realistic understanding of what's involved and the risks. Get a solid educational foundation, and be open to all opportunities and you'll go far in the industry if this is truly what is in your heart.

I don't know if I quite understand what you're asking with your 2nd question. I think Walt was one of those individuals who comes along once in a generation (or two or three). A real out of the box thinker and in a way there's part of Walt in everyone who continues his legacy. Will there be another singular guiding vision at WDI like Walt? I doubt it- one of the wonderful things about WDI is that it is so collaborative and everyone contributes and there is a sense of belonging to a large family throughout the Disney corporation. That last part- a sense of family really is something that speaks highly of Walt's legacy.

kingomvision Guest

thanks for clearing that up for me! i hadn't really realized (duh) that theme parks and tourism go hand in hand, but i suppose with an event like 9/11 this could greatly affect the number of projects being built if no one wants to come to your country.

do you think building theme parks outside the U.S. was a smart idea? doesn't that mean that people would rather stay in europe or aisia than come to the U.S.? i never really understood the point of building overseas, especially when EuroDisney got off to a bad start. But then again i guess in japan, disney doesn't even run the park, they just get a small slice of the profit.

one more question mufasa: specifically a question regarding set design. what types of projects have set designers been part of lately? is there opportunity to work in the model shop as well? is it possible to get in touch with a set designer at WDI and have him/her answer my questions or act as a mentor?

thanks! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by kingomvision:
    do you think building theme parks outside the U.S. was a smart idea? doesn't that mean that people would rather stay in europe or aisia than come to the U.S.? i never really understood the point of building overseas, especially when EuroDisney got off to a bad start. But then again i guess in japan, disney doesn't even run the park, they just get a small slice of the profit.

one more question mufasa: specifically a question regarding set design. what types of projects have set designers been part of lately? is there opportunity to work in the model shop as well? is it possible to get in touch with a set designer at WDI and have him/her answer my questions or act as a mentor?
    I don't believe that the overseas parks mean that people will not visit the US parks- it's just an extension of the brand and helps to make the Disney magic more accessible.

It's interesting for me having been involved in an overseas project- the Tokyo resorts and the challenges in adapting our experiences for a different culture. I think those very experiences have been very beneficial for me to apply on projects I've worked on for the US parks.

The parks in Florida are able to draw a large number of international visitors, and Disneyland in California continues to bring in visitors from Asia, even considering that they have access to the Tokyo resort (and soon Hong Kong Disneyland).

The Tokyo parks, especially Tokyo DisneySea is a spectacular theme park, but Disneyland still remains the crown jewel of the theme parks for the company. Walt Disney World in Florida offers an incredible total resort-wide experience which i don't think is diluted in anyway by the additional overseas parks (they just make it more difficult for true Disney fans to try and visit each location).

As for your second question about set design- one thing that really defines the Disney Imagineering philosophy is that the moment our guests arrive on property they are on-stage. Set Design is something that applies to both interior and exterior spaces. So when you talk about what recent projects set designers have been involved with- well, they have a hand every day in the look of the resort.

Again, it's a total team effort. From the landscape architects (it's unfair to think of them as just gardners)- they will shape and mold the canvas that the architects will use to define the spaces to tell the story. Then you get the set designers and art directors who obsess over the color palette and consider things like lighting and even the season so that our guests are part of the story.

As for getting a mentor or contact from WDI- I don't want to sound rude, but resources are limited given the project timelines that we all have to work with. Individually, many Imagineers will volunteer their personal time to provide mentorship opportunities to students or student organizations related to their field of work.

You can certainly write a letter to Imagineering, but I can't really know for certain what the response would be. I say you have nothing to lose in trying.

kingomvision Guest

thanks for another great reply! great insight! must have been neat to bring the disney magic to other cultures!

i understand you can't give away too much info but i'm not looking for a "scoop"

what area of imagineering do you work in? what are you currently working on? have you done work outside of WDI?

this thread is great! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by kingomvision:
    thanks for another great reply! great insight! must have been neat to bring the disney magic to other cultures!

i understand you can't give away too much info but i'm not looking for a "scoop"

what area of imagineering do you work in? what are you currently working on? have you done work outside of WDI?

this thread is great! [img]graemlins/muscles.gif[/img]
    Well, He hasn't admitted to a particular speciality, but He was rather scarce during the final test and adjusts for Mission Space... [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    "Where do you think you are, Walt Disney World???" -- Cranium Command

Post Thanks / Like

I've worked in several specialities during my time in WDI... unfortunately I can't really comment on the current projects that I'm working on. (yes, that's projects plural). It keeps me pretty busy (and not just during the test and adjust phases- they can be the most stressful times during a project phase as you can easily have insane work hours but it's also a fun rush if you can function with little sleep).

As for work I've done outside of WDI- prior to joining WDI I've worked on a number of interesting projects. A few television commercials (mainly animatronic and model construction) and design prototyping (toy and product mock-ups for a few industrial design firms).

kingomvision Guest

are we starting to see a trend towards the parks themselves as opposed to expansion overseas and new parks? i mean new rides and shows.

what is the general feeling among WDI employees about the current state with Eisner? do they think the ol' boot could mean a new boss that will pump up WDI again and let them go nuts? (as nuts as $ will allow)

do you have access to view original artwork from the Ryman/hench days??

what is the storyline for soarin' in epcot going to be? any idea what the show building will look like?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok- that was a lot of questions to try and answer, and some of them are more long-term business strategy, so I may not be the right person to answer them

1.) In regards to the domestic theme parks, there is a strategy in place to enhance our guest offerings through new attractions and entertainment options. Personally, I am really impressed with Jay Rasulo and the leadership he brings to the theme parks/resorts division.

2.) I'm not going to comment on the Eisner/Roy Disney situation. I'd rather focus on the creative/process side of things in this thread.

3.) An amazing thing about WDI is the access to materials and references and the care taken to preserve and record ideas that have been generated over the years. I had a chance to meet and get to know Herb Ryman long before I joined Imagineering and I have several pieces that Mr. Ryman gave me as a gift which I treasure to this day.

John Hench still arrives at his office in Glendale every day and is very hands-on and approachable- a trait of all senior level Imagineers in the company which really surprised me when I first got to WDI. His input is valuable and he's had a hand in so many projects including work these days on Hong Kong Disneyland.

4.) As for Soarin' at Epcot- can't really say too much about it. Sorry! At the beginning of this thread I said I can't answer questions about upcoming projects here.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Mufasa:
    I'd rather focus on the creative/process side of things in this thread.
    I quite agree. Let's keep this on topic please! So you think you're ready to be an Imagineer for real? is the subject. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Rhonda

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: