Quantcast So, you think you're ready to be an Imagineer for real? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone-

Ok, I've been getting a lot of questions lately about the whole process regarding portfolios and submissions, etc

First, I can't stress this enough- WDI is not in the position of accepting outside submissions for possible new ride ideas, resorts, etc. Again, the only major exception to this rule is the yearly Imagi-Nations University design competition.

If you're applying for consideration in a position where you may be asked to submit a portfolio, the following generally will be the steps involved. NOTE: DO NOT SUBMIT A PORTFOLIO TO WDI UNLESS ASKED AS THEY WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

1.) If you're submitting materials to WDI, you should understand that whatever you submit won't be returned to you so they should be copies that you're willing to part with.

2.) Depending on the position, the folks in human resources may provide you with a specific portfolio submission form which you'll need to fill out.

3.) Enclose a copy of your resume with your portfolio

4.) Write a cover letter indicating the job position or area of interest in which you are applying.

5.) Identify all pieces of your portfolio with your name as well as the packaging for all pieces

6.) Portfolios generally should be under 25 pages max

7.) Video submissions should be limited to no longer than 4 minutes and have either slates or a table of contents that includes a breakdown of each piece on the tape, as well as your specific area of responsibility on what is shown.

As far as what to include in your portfolio, honestly- if you're submitting a portfolio by now you should know what to include (if you're not certain, just ask the folks in human resources for some sample guidelines).

Now, yes... it is true that some folks, like Tom Fitzgerald (WDI's Executive VP of creative development and theme park productions) literally walked into WDI HQ about 20 years ago with a very crude model of a winnie the pooh attraction he had put together and practically begged to see someone and got some time with Marty Sklar who was impressed by his determination and gave him a chance. But these days, I'm not sure you could pull that off.

Having an inside contact in the company may help you slightly, but it may still take a few tries before you have everything put together and polished to where things just fall in place and you land that job. If you want it enough, just be patient and persistent and everything will work out in the end. Creating the magic takes a lot of blood, sweat and tears in addition to some pixie dust now and then.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

OK Mufasa - I have to jump on this bandwagon (I hope it's not too late!)....

Like everyone here, I'm sure, it has seriously been my lifelong dream to work for WDW - ever since my first trip as a 4 year old I've never stopped thinking about it. It's one of those 'my life will not be complete until I've at least tried to fulfill this dream' sort of things!

My question is this:

HOW????!!!!

I have a BA in Psych and a Master's in Education -I chose majors where I'd enjoy my classes to keep me motivated! Mainly my work experience over the past 10 years has been teaching in one form or another. Once I left the school where I was teaching, I went into corporate training (banking). I also have some HR in my background.

I really to be at WDW and every now and again I'll see a training position posted on their careers page. What has interested me is the workshops on service Disney style that the Disney Institute will give every now and then. There was one here in NJ a couple of years ago, but unfortunately, I was unable to attend. Not only would I love to go to such a seminar, but if I were to stay with training, I'd like to be so skilled as to facilitate these seminars!

While I do enjoy training and am very comfortable and experienced in that field, I really would like to be a hands-on part of creating the magic!

Is there room for someone with my background in area of imagineering and if so, where? Or, am I better off sticking to what I know?

Thanks for your help in possibly making my dream come true!
    All it takes is faith and trust and a little pixie dust!
    Poly 72-78 LBV Fairway Villas 79-84
    Palace 85
    ? - 86-89 Off Site 93
    CS 99 LBV Hilton 02
    DVC Vero Beach 03
    POR 10/04 & 12/04
    ASMu 5/05
    DL Hotel 8/05
    CBR Sept/Oct 05 Poly 12/05
    POR/WL/AKL 9/06
    BC 12/06
    POR 10/07&DCL 11/07

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's been a while since I've last posted to this thread. Things have been pretty busy and hectic- but now that Mission: Space has been performing extremely well (which means I'm actually able to get some sleep at night and my blood pressure is back to normal) I thought I'd start to provide some more information here.

So I begin with some advice that's sent out in a letter from WDI to those who really are considering Imagineering, but don't know quite how to get started.

While there is no easy formula for becoming an Imagineer, we have formulated the following observations:

First, it is important to understand the separation between the fantasy worlds of our Disney product and the reality of our business.

If you accept and understand how the needs and parameters of the one affect the other, the realities involved are just as fascinating as the fantasies.

Second, expand your horizons.
    Don't limit your interest to the Disney mythologies.

Allow it to be a point of entry to the discovery of other realms, whether they be cultural study, computers, robotics, film, art, or history.

A knowledge of Disney does not guarantee you a job with Disney, nor is it a prerequisite for one.

Third, follow what you love.

At Imagineering we seek specialized excellence and believe that true top-notch talent is usually developed when an activity is followed for the joy it provides.

With such skill, whether it be in writing, drafting, engineering, illustration or any of the scores of other disciplines used by Imagineering, you will more successfully fill roles and solve challenging problems and you will find more opportunity for your own creative expression.

Finally, it is a misconception that the majority of effort we undertake here is idea-oriented.

We never seem to have a shortage of ideas, just the time and resources to execute them all! The reality is that the "idea time" is probably about one percent of a project.

The rest of the time involves the process of making the very best of those ideas into realities.

-The Imagineers

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Mufasa,
    Can you tell me anything about Disney historians.Are they under the Imagineer catagory? I really would love to get in touch with one as I am graduating from University soon and need some direction.Do you know where I can more information about this job?
    Thank you for helping all of us!!

Post Thanks / Like

First and foremost there is the Disney Archives (company wide) founded and led by Dave Smith which started out in 1970 when the Disney family wanted to preserve the history (documents, memorabilia) of Walt Disney but expanded to chronicle the history of the entire Disney organization. He is regarded as the final authority on all things Disney.

I believe he holds a B.A in history and a Master's in Library Science from UC Berkeley.

Unfortunately, the archives are not open to the public. The Archives was set up for the use of the employees of The Walt Disney Company. In earlier years, they were more open to students and writers from outside the company, but with the tremendous growth of the company, the workload has increased so much that they had to curtail that service.

However, the archives readily will answer inquiries from the public by telephone, letter, and email.

I remember an interview given by Dave Smith and he offered the following info:

The decision on what to save in the Archives is based on years of experience of what our users are going to be asking for. Thus, the most important materials we save are informational materials -- publications, press releases, correspondence files, etc.

We are not a museum, and are not making a point of collecting exhibit materials -- in fact today we collect very few merchandise samples. In the earlier days, we collected more of the merchandise, but over 30 years it has rarely been requested and is just taking up storage space. Thus, we have recently deaccessioned some of the items which no longer fit within our collecting policy and made them available to Disney Auctions.

Since we are not accumulating display objects, a traveling exhibit would probably not be possible. Our material is here for research purposes, and cannot be spared for traveling exhibits.

And as for job openings in the archives he later said:

We rarely have openings in the Archives, since we are a small department (five in the Archives and four in the Photo Library), but when we do have openings, they are listed on the Disney.com website under Disney Careers. We recently filled an opening for a computer expert in the Archives and a clerk in the Photo Library, those were the first openings we have had in over five years, and both were listed on the website. For positions in the Archives, we look for expertise in library skills and historical research, and hopefully some Disney knowledge (though we do not hire Disney collectors).

Within Imagineering there is the resource center (WDI Library) and Archives and I know that Feature Animation maintains the Animation Research Library.

Finally, there are individuals within the company that serve as unofficial historians- the late David Mumford (an Imagineer) along with another Imagineer Bruce Gordon co-authored a series of books like "Disneyland: The Nickel Tour" and really sparked the idea for the official Imagineering book- "Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real."

Post Thanks / Like

What a great thread! I've learned so much already.

I have 2 questions:
    What is "Team Disney?",
    and what division does "Human Resources" fall under?

These are off topic from Imagineering, but I figured this would be the place to get an answer!

Thanks!

[ August 18, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Disneydol ]
    Barbie ºoº
    Married to: Golf Grumpy
    DVC owners at BCV and SSR

...and then they made me their Chief.

Post Thanks / Like

Team Disney represents the Operations/Support/Administrative offices connected with their various locations. There's Team Disney in Orlando (supporting WDW), Team Disney Anaheim (supporting Disneyland)- even a Team Disney at the Walt Disney Studios/Corporate HQ.

Usually the Team Disney buildings are noted by their unique architecture (Orlando's Team Disney building can be seen across from Downtown Disney- designed by architect Arata Isozaki) and Team Disney Burbank (designed by architect Michael Graves- featuring in place of columns, the seven dwarves on the facade of the building).

Human Resources isn't really a divison on it's own- since the company is so large each group essentially runs as independent entities and thus they each have their own HR department. For example, Disneyland and WDW both are under the theme park/resorts umbrella but are run separate from one another. Imagineering is another organization by itself. Feature Animation and Television Animation are completely separate.

Contemporary Woman Guest

Wow, what a cool thread [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm fascinated [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have a question, if I may [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm intregued by the idea of writers working for WDI...I'm curious what capacity they would work in...writing spiels and scripts for attractions I suppose, anything else you can think of?

As a writer, this totally fascinates me...

Post Thanks / Like

Writers play a key part in Imagineering- since the success of a themed attraction relies upon the underlying story. Ideas are turned into a story treatment, which gives everyone on the attraction team an understanding of the direction that the project should take. Writers also will help to flesh out character details and will assist the design team to preserve the story being told.

Show writers are also responsible for producing the copy/script for the attraction and often times they may supervise dialog recording sessions.

As an example, let's look at a story treatment for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (you can find this and other examples of back stories in the book "Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real"-

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad dates back to the wild and wooly boom town days when every prospector west of the Rockies was looking for gold. The following is the tall tale heard tell by one of those prospectors who got it second-hand from old Sam, the last of the big Thunder Miners:

Yessir, it is 1840, and around these parts, things got prit' near quiet as the hangin' tree on Sunday after the Big Thunder Mine tapped out. One day there ain't none richer, the next, even a ghost wouldn't have much innerst in her.

Things got mighty busted up and rusted down inside Big Thunder, so Sam told me while sluggin' from a dusty bottle of Old Imagineer. He was the last prospector inside that mine. Fact is, poor old Sam took a spill and done landed belly up in one of them ore cars. Next thing he knows, the car takes off like a skinny coyote after a plump hen!

Off he went, a headin' fer the mine. Seems like that old ghost mine came to life for Sam. He swears the rusted winch engine was a pumpin' and a wheezin' and just when he was thinkin' he must have bats in his belfry, there was bats! Then he sat up to see what he could see in the dark, and there was pools of rainbow water and waterfalls, and plenty of them rocks the schoolmarm calls "stalactities and stalagmites."

The walls of the canyon kept comin' in closer and closer at old Sam and he yelled until he couldn't yell no more. All of a sudden, the car thunders into a pitch dark tunnel, with Sam holdin' on fer dear life. Comin' back out the other side, he spots a couple of danged skunks foolin' with blastin' powder, like to blow the top off a whole derned mountain! Little ways away, danged if'n there ain't a Billy goat chawin' on a stick of the stuff! But Sam didn't have no time to worry about that, 'cuz next thing he knows he's whippin' down Spiral Butte and headin' right back down into Big Thunder Mine. Sam figgered he was goin' in and never comin' out this time, with all that rumblin' and shakin' and rocks comin' down all around him. he closed his eyes tight but the next thing ya know he was outside and high-ballin' down on the track again, right over the Bear River Trestle Bridge.

That ore car finally squealed to a stop right smack dab in the middle of Big Thunder Town. Sam just sat up, brushed off the dust and said, "I ain't had this much of a whoop and a holler since the Grub Gang hit town. I just barely got out with my hide!"

Sam's amazing ghost story was told and retold over the years, and because of it, no one was ever brave enough to even set foot near the mine-- until the day a bold young Imagineer heard the tale and thought it might be fun to take a ride on old Big Thunder himself. Sure enough, he did, and the train ride turned out to be so much fun he decided to officially re-open the mine. Folks soon heard the news about Big Thunder and began to arrive to take their own wild ride on the legendary runaway train.

While the original story treatments often times are never seen by guests- now that you've seen one, how well do you think the attraction captured the essence of that short story? It's a tool where all the members on the attraction team can refer to, along with other tools of the trade (storyboards and visual reference guides like artist renderings) that put everyone on the same page.

[ August 19, 2003, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: Mufasa ]

Post Thanks / Like

Mufasa,

Since I already work for "the company" I thought it would be relatively easy to hook an interview with WDI.

During my 10+ years, I have "worked" with Mike West and his crew creating the binaural sound effects in both versions of Alien Encounter.

I was also praised by WDI for the quality of my live spiels (and voice) for Legend of the Lion King.

Granted, those experiences were when I was working for WDW Attractions Operations. During those experiences, I would get all excited and think, "This is it! I'm hanging with the WDI guys!"

Unfortunately, nothing ever came from it.

Recently, I sent Mike Ostendorf my resume (he had a few positions open for the Studios NY rehab) and still haven't heard of anything.

I believe my strength lies in Script or Copy Writing and my vocal ability.

So, here's my question:

If I put together a humorous (think Kevin Rafferty style) video and sent it off to Glendale, would it seriously be evaluated AND does the fact that I'm already a Cast Member aid in the hiring process?

Your insight is always appreciated.

[ August 19, 2003, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: TripAway2Day ]
    Seize the Future with X-S.

Contemporary Woman Guest

Wow, thank you Mufasa. That was so amazing...and if I weren't disabled and unable to work now, believe you me I'd be putting together some great stuff (yes that is a technical term, 'stuff' to send to WDI! So sad

I think the script was a fabulous description of the final ride. The sense of humor of the writer is very evident, this is my favorite part:

"Things got mighty busted up and rusted down inside Big Thunder, so Sam told me while sluggin' from a dusty bottle of Old Imagineer"

ROFL! "Old Imagineer". Hilarious!

Anyhoo, if I might venture a comment to the last post even though I'm not Mufasa, I worked for "the company" too for awhile back in the late 80's (not in WDW, out of state) and when I inquired about changing areas/transferring to WDW they told me that they definitely like to hire from within, and that cast members have a better chance of getting promoted to positions like Imagineer than someone on the outside, unless you have a very, VERY specific skill set that they need (as Mufasa indicated earlier). My husband is a mechanical engineer and we inquired once about the best way to get into WDI and the people at Casting advised him to get on the company payroll any way he could, and then try from there.

So hopefully, your experience with Attractions should help you...of course I defer to Mufasa as he is the expert here, just thought I'd put in what I was told.

Good luck!!!

[ August 19, 2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Contemporary Woman ]

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the great thread, it sure has answered a lot of my questions. but there is one groud that hasent been stepped on yet? in a perfect world, our employers would give us enough money for everything we wanted, but since we dont live in a perfect world, what is the average starting slary of an imagineer?

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here's my speil...

I graduated six years ago with a Mechanical Engineering degree from a rather well known engineering school in the Philadelphia area. I can admit that my grade weren't as good as I would like them to be. I messed around too much my first two years, but made that up by working hard the last few years to boost them. I applied to WDI when I graduated and got a form letter in return. Since them most of the work I've done has been more quality/validation type of work. I've done it because the pay is good and takes care of my family's bills and needs (and leave a little extra) but I would REALLY love to do some more creative type work... ESPECIALLY for Disney. So what are my chances? What would I have to do at this point to boost my chances to be an Imagineer? Does my background just not fit at this point? What kind of schooling/training/experience should I be after in order to help myself here?

Basically, what I'm getting at here is that my career path seems to have taken me away from what I orignally wanted to do... be an Imagineer. I just couldn't help it. I needed the money and the jobs paid well. Now I feel like I messed up my chances with the wrong types of experience. What do you think, Mufasa? Am I done thinking about Imagineering? What would you suggest?
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by TripAway2Day:
    I believe my strength lies in Script or Copy Writing and my vocal ability.

So, here's my question:

If I put together a humorous (think Kevin Rafferty style) video and sent it off to Glendale, would it seriously be evaluated AND does the fact that I'm already a Cast Member aid in the hiring process?

Your insight is always appreciated.
    I think the fact that you have 10+ years of experience with the company as a Cast Member defintiely can be used to your advantage. With any sort of position- there are a lot of factors that can certainly improve your chances and as a CM you can make those contacts and network with the right people where someone off the street doesn't have those same opportunities. Take advantage of them, wherever possible.

A good number of applicants are hired based on referrals from Imagineers.

Sending off a video to Glendale... would it be seen or seriously evaluated? I really don't know how best to offer any advice on that. Definitely, whatever you do- showcase your own style. Don't try and emulate Kevin Rafferty. But definitely draw upon your background of having worked in the theme parks.

Interesting that you mention Kevin Rafferty. I remember hearing him talk about how he got into Imagineering. He wanted to be another one in the line of "great Disney artists" after watching the old Disneyland TV show and the segments on the Imagineers. So when he got older, he started by naturally applying to be a CM at Disneyland because he wanted to "be a part of the magic."

So his first job- washing dishes at the Plaza Inn. He stuck with it, working through college and eventually graduated with a degree in Art and applied to Imagineering. He told them that he wanted to "be a part of the magic." So he got hired.

His first job: dusting off the architectural models for Epcot. Years later, he still isn't the traditional artist in Imagineering he figured was his initial dream but is living out that dream of being an Imagineer and is doing his part to create the magic.

For anyone that's truly interested in Imagineering, one thing you will find is that you have to be persistent. It may take you several tries to get into WDI. Who knows how many attempts it may take. I remember hearing about a show designer with WDI who first applied in 1978, but was turned down. He developed his skills and kept applying, going to interviews. Finally, he was hired in 1990.

And by being persistent, please... be mindful of Imagineers. It's ok to introduce yourself and strike up a conversation, but don't stalk! You'll find that we're all very friendly [img]smile.gif[/img]

At the same time, don't necessarily hold Disney up on a pedestal. Don't only apply to Imagineering, or Universal Creative. Research the theme park industry and hone your skills for one of the companies in the field (Landmark, ITEC, BRC Imagination Arts are just a sampling of firms).

Join groups like IAAPA (International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions) or TEA (Themed Entertainment Association). IAAPA has it's annual convention/tradeshow coming up in Orlando in November (17th through the 22nd I believe). It's a great place to network and meet people in the industry.

[ August 24, 2003, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Mufasa ]

Post Thanks / Like

Mufasa, thanks for all the great information. I have a question or two about other specicialities looked for for the Imagineering team. I was wondering if there are any interactive entertainment specialists at WDI? I'm a computer game designer (a profession which I *love*), and am thrilled to see more interactive attractions coming to the parks, such as the Buzz Lightyear ride and Lucky the Dinosaur, as well as things like the talking trash can that I saw in Tomorrowland in WDW. Do you know if the WDI employs any interactive entertainment specialists? Or is the interactive nature of certain attractions is just being added as possible (in accordance with Walt's original vision, if I'm not mistaken), by the Imagineers from other specialties?

~Dryad
    ~(Adult) Tips to WDW~<br /><br />Sept 8 to Sept 13 2002 - Proposed to!<br />Jan 19 to Jan 26 2003 - Honeymoon!<br />Sept 7 to Sept 11 2003 - Proposal Anniversary

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mufasa,
    One question. Do you get to apply on what office you want to work at? Such as, I'd prefer to work at the office in Celebration, FL. I know this is awhile off for me (I'm a freshman in HS) but I want to start preping for my career life.

Trevor
    Trips:<br />Jun '92: Off-Site<br />Apr '95: Port Orleans - French Quarter<br />Apr '96: Polynesian<br />Apr '97: Port Orleans - Riverside<br />Apr '98: Port Orleans - French Quarter<br />Apr '99: Port Orleans - French Quarter<br />Apr '00: Port Orleans - Riverside<br />Apr '01: Port Orleans - French Quarter<br />Apr '02: Fort Wilderness<br />Apr '03: Port Orleans - Riverside<br />Jul '03: All Star Music<br />April '04: Polynesian<br />July '04 POR Riverside<br />Next: March '05 POR French Quarter<br />Then: June/July '05 Undecided Location

Post Thanks / Like

To a certain extent you can select which office you want to apply to. Internships are available in both Glendale, CA and Celebration, FL, however you have to realize that Celebration is a much smaller unit than Glendale. (I'd say that approximately 80% of all Imagineers are based out of Glendale).

There are some satellite WDI locations at each park with a small number of WDI staff on-site, but the majority of the work gets done back at HQ in Glendale. Also, there's one centralized HR department where you'd submit your application (Glendale).

Orlando right now is an area with a lot of companies in the themed entertainment industry so there's a lot of competition for a relatively limited number of positions at WDI Florida. (Also, the WDI- Celebration offices used to be geared more towards Disney Development Company operations).

As with any other career, when you're serious about that industry you pretty much have to move/follow where that industry is located. There are opportunities in Florida, but with WDI you have to be open to being located in California.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, ok thanks for letting me know. If I decide not to do Imagineering, what other job opportunites are available in the Walt Disney World Resort?

Trevor
    Trips:<br />Jun '92: Off-Site<br />Apr '95: Port Orleans - French Quarter<br />Apr '96: Polynesian<br />Apr '97: Port Orleans - Riverside<br />Apr '98: Port Orleans - French Quarter<br />Apr '99: Port Orleans - French Quarter<br />Apr '00: Port Orleans - Riverside<br />Apr '01: Port Orleans - French Quarter<br />Apr '02: Fort Wilderness<br />Apr '03: Port Orleans - Riverside<br />Jul '03: All Star Music<br />April '04: Polynesian<br />July '04 POR Riverside<br />Next: March '05 POR French Quarter<br />Then: June/July '05 Undecided Location

Post Thanks / Like

If you're specifically looking for jobs at Walt Disney World, when the time comes, you'd just call and set up an appointment at the Walt Disney World Casting Center and one of the Casting Agents can help guide you as to what job options are available at the resort.

The Walt Disney World Resort has positions in a variety of areas, including Casting Services (which recruits entry-level, hourly Cast Members, skilled tradespeople, and administrative support); Executive and Professional Recruiting (which recruits industry professionals); College Recruiting (which recruits undergraduates for full-time working and learning experiences); Entertainment (which recruits parade performers, singers, dancers, musicians, stage technicians, stunt performers, and DJs); and International Recruiting (which recruits international students for working and learning experiences).

To find out more information, you'd call the resort JobLine at (407) 828-1000 between 8AM and 8PM Monday-Friday and you can get a listing of current openings.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks alot! The info was very useful!

Trevor

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: