Quantcast Tropical Storms Bonnie and Charley - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is my 2 cents. If you are going to already be in WDW by the time any bad weather hits you should be okay. However, anyone driving in on that day, PLEASE, PLEASE be careful. I would not want to drive during weather like that. As a matter of fact the state may issue a curfew if the weather is bad enough. I know that two years ago when Hurricane Lilly hit Louisiana a very strict curfew went into effect on the day of the storm and the days following. We ended up going to Houston, Texas to get away from the weather (my youngest child was only 6 months old and just so happened to be sick). Anyway, on our way back home after the storm we had to rent a hotel room because we didn't make it back in time for the curfew. Again, please be careful and stay safe. I hope no ones vacation is ruined beacause of this.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Another source is reporting that E-ride night for 8/13 is cancelled. The Spirit of Aloha shows for 8/13 are cancelled. Also, that RESORT restaurant PS's are no longer being taken for 8/13. Existing PS's are being honored.
    Christina - DVC member
    SOG, VWL, OKW, AKL, ASMu, PC, POFQ, CSR, POLY, POR, BWV,SSR, CR, CBR, AKV, BCV
    Next trip- Nov 28- Dec 6

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Originally posted by buzznwoodysmom:
    I know that two years ago when Hurricane Lilly hit Louisiana a very strict curfew went into effect on the day of the storm and the days following.
    That is a great point Denise we shut down the points to enter our parish (county)and no one could enter.
    Another thing to consider is that they have evacuated 350,000 people from the Tampa area. All roads leading out are ONE WAY OUT. Both sides of the roads on a lot of roads are only for exiting. We do this here in Louisiana. It is called contraflow which means all traffic goes out none in. Now you might not be able to stay any where because a lot of hotels will be full from the people leaving Fl.
    This is just things to think about. Things we have had to face before living in Louisiana. IF you do get to come in so will everyone else which means that all 350,000 people will be comming back from where they went.
    BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

MegaDisney Guest

Just received this priority dispatch that was sent to travel agents:

Hurricane Preparedness Message

From the Walt Disney World® Resort

Thursday, August 12, 7 p.m.

Walt Disney World continues to monitor Hurricane Charley, taking proactive measures for potential impact to guests and cast. These measures include communication on an on-going basis, the clean up and tie down of any loose materials and the consideration of adjusting operating hours. There are also protected areas for animals, if determined necessary.

As of now, Walt Disney World theme parks are scheduled to open on Friday, August 13. If weather conditions dictate changes, you will be notified via email early Friday morning.

I will let you guys know if I receive any further details.

[ August 12, 2004, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: MegaDisney ]

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Well, if Disney is anything like The Atlantis on Paradise Island in the Bahamas during situations like these, the guests will be treated well during this hurricane. Dh and I were at The Atlantis when hurricane Floyd hit Nassau & Paradise Island a few years back and I cannot begin to tell you about the amazingly fantastic customer service they provided during a time of horrific weather; not only to the guests of the resort, but to their own employees who had to work during the storm. That was the first time Dh and I had been there and because of their stellar customer service during that hurricane, that is why we continue to go back. Here's hoping Disney treats its guests just the same as we were treated by The Atlantis.

I'm hoping that the Orlando area doesn't get too much bad weather and that people's vacations turn out A-OK.
    ºOº

Digger Guest

it's going to be a fun one. I'm worried about st pete/clearwater. 6 feet above sea level and a 10 foot storm swell will not be good. oh well, we're still going to mgm on sunday as a reward. have a hurricane party and ride it out. [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Chrisx2:
    Another source is reporting that E-ride night for 8/13 is cancelled. The Spirit of Aloha shows for 8/13 are cancelled. Also, that RESORT restaurant PS's are no longer being taken for 8/13. Existing PS's are being honored.
    We were aware of the other source, but the only information we were able to confirm with disney after repeated calls is what is currently posted on our home page and what was posted by PolyGirl here. They are not selling tickets right now, but no official announcement on the eride nite has been made.
    John Y
    Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer
    INTERCOT, Mousehut & Webdisney

At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.

-Abraham Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

I got called into work an hour early tomorrow - we're opening all our parks early in anticipation that we may have to close them early... we want to squeeze as much magic as we can out of the situation. I'm thinking this will all be a little overblown... I bet it'll hit Tampa, break apart and the worst we'll get is some rain and heavier winds - but nothing of biblical proportions - heck, we've had worse - look at Typhoon Lagoon!!!

Jeremy
    Proud Movie Rider since 6/03
    "Everybody just sit tight.... Running a red light's against the law! And I'd NEVER break the law... hey kid - watch this! (Shoots out light) No more red light!
    Look out, the bank's gonna blow! YEEEEEEHAW!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, folks, we're here preparing for the weather coming in overnight; hope it doesn't knock out power while we're sleeping. Kids, Lisa, and I are planning on going to MK tomorrow (Friday), even with this weather. From watching the news this evening, looks we just caught the *very* tail end of Bonnie as she passed up north of us, but Charley's definitely coming. Lisa and I have to work tomorrow night, so we know that tonight's crew is helping to prepare for the weather. We *may* have to close the park early; we've done it once before for a hurricane (Floyd in '99), so it's nothing new, but we should be better prepared as far as the park goes.

So, we just want y'all to know that things should be fine here; no need to worry We'll keep y'all safe if gets hairy out there. We like to take care of y'all, and safety is the number one priority.

Y'all will be alright with us here.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

We don't get these types of storms in Canada, but I sympathize with all of you. Of course we hope that none of your vacations will be ruined, but more importantly, we wish you, those vacationing and those who live in it's path, a very safe time of it, be careful everyone, our thoughts are with you. Pixie dust on all that come in contact with the storm!!
    ºOº Dianne ºOº

You must make a Choice to take a Chance or your life will never Change

Post Thanks / Like

Question

I've got a question that I've never really thought about before. When we're in the world we always tent camp at Fort Wilderness. Since we go in December gale force winds never really crossed my mind ... until now. What happens to all those campers out there at FW when a hurricane comes through?

Post Thanks / Like

Im all the way up in Michigan and I am worrying about this hurricane.
    My grandma's house is in arcadia and I worry about the animals in tampa and am even worried about WDW.
    Ive been glued to the weather channel.
    While ive never been in a hurricane ive been thru 2 straight line wind storms both of which had winds as strong as a hurricane .
    we had 200mph winds .
    I sure hope everyone stays safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Theme-park hours depend on how bad weather looks

This morning, Disney World said it will close its parks at 1 p.m. today.

By Greg Groeller
    Sentinel Staff Writer

August 13, 2004

Orlando's theme parks planned to be open for business today, even as area hotels began filling with Gulf Coast refugees fleeing Hurricane Charley. But Walt Disney World, for one, wasn't going to decide whether to throw open its gates until after sunrise this morning.

The region's tourism industry -- the parks, hotels and attractions -- as well as Orlando International Airport and Port Canaveral in Brevard County spent Thursday stockpiling food and supplies and securing loose items.

Most said they planned to operate today as close to normal as possible -- including Walt Disney World, SeaWorld Orlando and Universal Orlando, which all said they hoped to stick to their usual schedules.

At SeaWorld, the "time of the park's closing on Friday will be determined by weather conditions and changes to the storm's track," spokesman Nick Gollattscheck said.

Disney World said visitors seeking updates on potential closings could telephone 407-939-4636. Workers tied down loose materials in backstage areas Thursday and prepared to move animals from Animal Kingdom and the giant resort's other parks to protected areas, in case that becomes necessary.

The phones were ringing early Thursday at the 246-room Doubletree Club Hotel in Lake Buena Vista, as residents from Florida's west coast sought inland shelter, said Laura Sherman, general manager.

Sherman predicted the Doubletree would be close to full Thursday and Friday nights, with vacationers joining the coastal refugees.

"So many people are from out of town that never experienced a hurricane before," Sherman said.

Jeff Brinda, general manager of the 489-room Sheraton Safari Hotel, also in Lake Buena Vista, said the hotel would likely have some empty rooms Thursday night but would be sold out Friday and Saturday.

If nearby restaurants close early tonight, the hotel is prepared to feed its guests buffet-style food in its on-site restaurant, Brinda said. He warned that some regular services, such as laundry pickup, might be scaled back if some employees are unable to get to work.

"Worst-case scenario is that the power goes out, and then all bets are off at that point," he said.

At Orlando International Airport, at least three departing flights and six arriving flights Thursday were canceled, airport spokesman Luis Olivera said. He warned travelers to check with their airline about schedule changes and cancellations before heading to the airport today.

Officials at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex said they expected to be open all day today because the latest projections of Charley's path indicated that it would largely miss east Central Florida.

U.S. Coast Guard officials said they weren't as worried about Port Canaveral as they were about ports to the north, in Jacksonville and Fernandina Beach at Amelia Island. Still, the Coast Guard said it was possible that all three ports could be ordered closed, depending on the hurricane's direction.

When a port closes, all vessels of 500 gross tons or more must head for the open sea, Coast Guard Cmdr. Larry Bowling said.

Tonight's opening of the annual Hot Summer Boat Show in the Orange County Convention Center was postponed until Saturday morning.

Before the hurricane threatened, officials had predicted the show could draw as many as 30,000 people over three days. But attendance could turn out higher than that by the show's end Sunday because of the storm, despite the delayed opening, said Tom Ackert, the center's executive director.

"It's good in the sense that people won't have many other alternatives for entertainment Saturday, and won't be going outside or to the beach," Ackert said. "We're hopeful it will boost attendance. After all, boats go with wet stuff, right?"
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The Weather Channel just announced that Epcot, Magic Kingdom and MGM will close today at 1:00 p.m. Animal Kingdom and Typhoon Lagoon will be closed today.
    Mary

Been there, done that, definitely going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

I just confirmed with Disney:

Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon & Downtown Disney are not opening today.

MGM - Epcot - Magic Kingdom & Blizzard Beach will close at 1PM.

E-Ride Night is "officially" canceled - as is the Spirit of Aloha dinner show at the Polynesian resort. The Dining PS line is not operational today.

We will keep posting updates as they become available.

[ August 13, 2004, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]
    ¨¨*:• Carol (aka PolyGirl40)
    INTERCOT Management Team

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! What do you suppose everyone does in this situation? Do you think they just stay in the hotel? Do they generally close shops, restaurants, & movie theaters in these cases, too? I feel so bad for everyone vacationing down there right now!
    April

Remy: You gotta taste this! This is... oh, it's got this kind of... mmm, it's burny, it's melty... it's not really a smoky taste. It's kind of like a certain... Pshah! It's got like this " Ba-boom! Zap!" kind of taste. Dont you think? What would you call that flavor?
    Emile: Lightningy?

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa and I are going into work today to help prepare for the bad weather. Been told that after we get our area taken care of, they'll deploy us out to the resorts to help out there. Still not real sure as to exactly what we're going to be doing, but we've volunteered to go into work today and help out.

Jeremy, you guys working the same way, or what?

Just want you guys (guests) to know that we're here for you guys. We love ya
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Pixie dust going out to all of you in Florida right now.....I hope the storm passesover quickly with no damage or injuries!
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by aprilisis:
    Wow! What do you suppose everyone does in this situation? Do you think they just stay in the hotel? Do they generally close shops, restaurants, & movie theaters in these cases, too? I feel so bad for everyone vacationing down there right now!
    Downtown Disney is closed today. Resort guests can enjoy the theme parks, except Animal Kingdom, until 1 pm today. After that, their on-site options are going to be pretty limited. It would be better to stay at your resort during the hurricane anyways. You don't want to be out and about when it hits.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

mickeymousemom Guest

Pixie Dust going down to everyone being affected by Charley today. And Jim----You and Lisa are the kind of CM's that WDW needs more of!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

(Not to say WDW isn't loaded with great CM's, but they sure could use more)

[ August 13, 2004, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: mickeymousemom ]

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: