Quantcast Tropical Storms Bonnie and Charley - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by MCFantasia:
    I've got a question that I've never really thought about before. When we're in the world we always tent camp at Fort Wilderness. Since we go in December gale force winds never really crossed my mind ... until now. What happens to all those campers out there at FW when a hurricane comes through?
    They've relocated all the guests staying at Fort Wilderness to the resort hotels.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by MCFantasia:
    What happens to all those campers out there at FW when a hurricane comes through?
    Since Fort Wilderness is considered a low-lying area, it is usually evacuated during severe storms. Guests are moved to other resorts on property and the convention centers become shelters.
    "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."

Post Thanks / Like

I started to post this as a topic, but I saw that we are trying to keep all info in this thread.

The Weather Channel just reported that WDW is closing early this afternoon due to Hurricane Charley. Stay safe everyone. You are in our prayers!

Lisa [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

My boss and her family are there right now, staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I feel bad for them, but at least these storms come and go relatively fast. I would bet, barring any damage, that thing will be back to normal tomorrow.

Why is the reservation line not operational, though?

Post Thanks / Like

I would guess that the phone lines in the area are overloaded, which is typical when these things start happening. Also, CRO may have let everyone go home and/or reassign them to other areas.

I'm sure that resort officials are preparing their guests for Charley. The best thing to do in this situation is to stay in the hotel and when it starts coming ashore, go to your room and monitor the news from there.

We all know that the guest rooms have sliding glass doors and I'm not sure what the building code required for that glass, but when it gets bad, head for the bathroom and lock yourselves in so as to avoid breaking glass.

During the worst part of a hurricane, the best advice is to do just as you would during a tornado. I'm quite sure that this information is being communicated to all resort guests for their safety.

It's a bit weird for us here in Southeast Florida totally escaping these two storms. We're under a flood watch, tornado watch and severe weather warnings, but otherwise it's just windy down here. I'm very concerned for our friends and family in the Tampa/St. Pete area, though.

As for Central Florida, at this time, it looks like Charley will get caught in an upper-level trough and be swept across the state fairly quickly, so we shouldn't see too much storm damage across Orlando, but it still depends on how much it strengthens by the time it makes landfall and then how much it weakens when it hits.

[ August 13, 2004, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Timbo ]
    Last trip: May 26-28, 2006
    DVC Members since 2001
    "When you imagine, time becomes timeless..."

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely to keep the people out of harms way or to use them in other areas that are needed. They also need to keep the phones lines open. We have also been asked to keep off of our cell phones so as not to jam the lines.
    Robyn

First trip 1990 Honeymoon
    2000 Florida Resident
    2001First Annual Pass Multiple day trips since
    2004 Rode out Hurricane Frances Allstar Sports
    2005 -Coronado Springs- 15th Anniversary
    2006-moved back to NJ
    Next trip ??? :(

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder when Jeff started this thread if he ever thought be this important of a topic.

As to the question about CR, Disney is getting ready for the storm which mean some people are either called in early, told not to report or asked to help out in other areas, such as resorts ect.... Right now making reservations for future trips is not a high priority, getting ready for the storm and taking care of the guest who are there is the main concern. If you think about it about 1:00 guest have very little options other than to hang out at their hotel [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img] .

I'm sure that once this passes tommorow, Disney will be once again taking reservations and have a full staff of operators to help out [img]graemlins/clappy.gif[/img] .

Good luck to all who are at the world now, stay safe....
    "May Walt Disney World Bring Joy and Inspiration. A magical place were people of all ages can laugh, and play, and learn together."
    6/95, 6/99 Poly, 6/01 YC/Poly
    10/02 Poly/YC, 6/03 YC/GF, 4/04 YC
    9/04 YC, 4/05 Poly/YC, 4/06 YC
    4/07 BC, 8/07 Poly, 10/07 YC
    4/08 YC, 8/08 P/YC
    Next 10/09/Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that all kind of scares me, hasn't WDW only closed once in it's entire operation, due to severe weather? And of course due to 9/11.

Hope everyone down there stays safe.

Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

I believe Hurricane Floyd in September of 1999 and September 11, 2001 are the only other times WDW closed.

imported_dpamac Guest

Here is the official release from Disney:

Based on information from the National Weather Service and emergency preparedness officials, certain Walt Disney World theme parks and a water park will be open from 8 a.m.- 1 p.m. today.

An abbreviated schedule will provide entertainment for the tens of thousands of Resort guests staying on Walt Disney World property. Local residents and off-site guests are encouraged to reschedule their theme park visits until the inclement weather passes.

HOURS OF OPERATION

Magic Kingdom: 8 a.m.- 1 p.m.
    Epcot: 8 a.m.- 1 p.m.
    Disney-MGM Studios: 8 a.m.- 1 p.m.
    Blizzard Beach: 9 a.m.- 1 p.m.
    Disney's Wide World of Sports: 9 a.m.- 1 p.m.
    Disney's Animal Kingdom: CLOSED
    Typhoon Lagoon: CLOSED
    Downtown Disney: CLOSED

All Walt Disney World Resort hotels will remain open throughout the storm. Guests staying at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground are being relocated to other hotels on property.

We have an extensive hurricane preparedness plan and are staffed and prepared for a realm of possible impacts this type weather could have on our property.

All Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members scheduled to work this morning should report to work whether or not their work area is open. Cast Member questions will be answered upon arrival.

Guests who have questions should call (407) WDW-INFO or (407) 939-4636.

Post Thanks / Like

A CNN updated just mentioned that the Orlando area could be seeing wind gusts in the hurricane force range. I think that means at least 75MPH. Hope Mickey is holding onto his ears.
    Please don't think me callous I really feel for all those that are really being impacted by this, especially the ones whose impacts don't have anything to do with vacation inconveniences. [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Georgia Power has sent numerous crews to help restore power when and where necessary. I have been working logistics for food and lodging for our lineman and ensuring they have necessary supplies. Pixie dust and prayers to all involved. Let us all hope that any problems can be quickly fixed and no one is injured. We always say prayers for our lineman to stay safe along with the folks in the area they are dispatched to. Please keep us not in the area updated and let us know if we can help.
    Nana to Brad, Alex, Dustin and Connor

John D Guest

I just got two news updates:

The first said that Hurricane Charlie had been upgraded to a Category 3 Storm.

Minutes later, they upgraded it once more to a Category 4 Storm, with winds up to 145 mph.

Prayers, pixie dust, and good luck to all. [img]smile.gif[/img] (can't make up my mind)

Post Thanks / Like

I am a weather junkie and have been watching the NOAA site all morning....they have just issued a TORNADO WARNING - there is a developing tornado that will be in the St Cloud area at 2:10 EST...that's pretty darn close to The World isn't it?

Pixie dust and prayers for ALL affected by this storm.

Susan

First visit - January 1972 Polynesian "Village" Resort (I was 5)
    Visits (1972 - 2007) - 18 all to Poly/WL/BCV/POR

Next Up: Nov 09 Wilderness Lodge

MegaDisney Guest

Hurricane Preparedness Message

From the Walt Disney World® Resort

Friday, August 13, 7 a.m.

Based on information from the National Weather Service and emergency preparedness officials, Walt Disney World theme parks except Disney's Animal Kingdom will be open from 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. today. Blizzard Beach will be open from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Typhoon Lagoon and Downtown Disney will be closed for the day.

An abbreviated schedule will provide entertainment for the tens of thousands of Resort guests staying on Walt Disney World property. Local residents and off-site guests are encouraged to reschedule their theme park visits until the inclement weather passes.

All Walt Disney World Resort hotels will remain open throughout the storm. Guests staying at Disney's Ft. Wilderness Resort & Campground have been relocated to other hotels on property.

The Walt Disney World Resort has an extensive hurricane preparedness plan, and is staffed and prepared for a realm of possible impacts this type weather could have across property.

A temporary cancellation and "No Show" policy has been adopted for travel agents who have booked reservations through Walt Disney World or the Walt Disney Travel Company (agents that have booked through another tour operator should contact that company for its specific cancellation policy).

"No Show" penalties will be waived for any Guest arrivals between Aug. 11, 2004 and Aug. 15, 2004.
    Clients impacted by these storms can have their reservation rebooked for another time period and apply the existing deposit/payment, or cancel and have the deposit/payment fully refunded.
    The Disney Reservation Center (DRC) will be available from 7 a.m. - 1 p.m. to book or modify package and room-only reservations but will not be taking dining, recreation or golf reservations. DRC will return to normal operating hours on Saturday from 7 a.m.- 11 p.m.

Disney Cruise Line is operating as scheduled.

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers and pixie dust on their way from Texas.

Everyone please keep safe any my prayers are truly with you. Just read report that Charley is now a Category 4 hurricane and living in South Texas I understand fully what that means for all of you in the storms path.

Take care EVERYONE!!!
    Nancy

DL - May 6-9, 2012
    DL - July 19-23, 2012
    CBR - Sept. 1-9, 2012
    Pop & Disney Dream - Sept. 29-Oct. 11, 2012
    Pop & Disney Dream - Dec. 8-17, 2012

Feb. 3-5, 2013 - AoA Cars - Anniversary
    Feb. 5-9, 2013 - The Poly - Anniversary
    Feb. 23-Mar. 1 - 2013 - Disney Magic - DH's 60th BDay

Post Thanks / Like

Animal Kingdom was a strange sight this morning. The streets were busy with trucks and all sorts of other vehicles coming and going. CMs were calm, but very busy. Basically we stripped the park of anything that wasn't bolted down. Restrooms and cast break rooms are filled with stacked tables, chairs, benches and trash cans. Many signs and decorations have been taken down. The animals, of course, remain in their backstage facilities. And Animal Programs CMs will remain with them through the storm.

After we cleared AK many of us were sent to the resort hotels. The hotels are jammed since guests have nowhere else to go. Despite that, most guests are still cheerful and understanding. I ended up stocking merchandise in a gift shop.

Charley is now a category four storm and is on track to hit Orlando hard. Local police and Highway Patrol want the streets and highways clear of traffic no later than 4:00.

It's not raining here yet, but the sky is dark and ominous. Wish us luck!
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

I just want to wish everyone in WDW & FL luck and send some pixie dust your way!! They do have somewhere to put all of the animals from AK & have a way to round them all up, right???

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck everyone down there. I am glued to the weather channel which just told us that WDW is in the hurricane area. Good luck everyone down there
    If you can dream it you can do it!!!

01,02,03,04,05 x3 (plus Disneyland),06,08,10,11,12

Been there done that going back!

Post Thanks / Like

don't they normally take down the castle in situations like this -- or is that an urban legend?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: