Quantcast Disney Store to Unveil "The Mickey" Store Prototype - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Maleficent for president:
    Is the online store still maintained by Disney?
    Yes, that's why they had to change their name to Disney Direct -- because it's not owned and no longer a part of the Disney Store. It's also why Direct (and its catalogue) can offer all the collectibles, household, and adult product lines.

I wish I lived closer to one of the Disney Direct outlet stores. I could go in there instead of having to buy online or mail order. Oh well. I'm just spoiled from having these things in my local mall's Disney Store.

I'll miss talking to the CMs there too. One of them saw my husband and I in the movie theater and waved hello, telling her family excitedly, "There's a couple of my regulars!" It was a fun bond. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Kerry

This week, we salute the attraction we like to call a couch with a breeze, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. -- Yesterland

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the online store still maintained by Disney?
    Yes, that's why they had to change their name to Disney Direct -- because it's not owned and no longer a part of the Disney Store. It's also why Direct (and its catalogue) can offer all the collectibles, household, and adult product lines.

I wish I lived closer to one of the Disney Direct outlet stores. I could go in there instead of having to buy online or mail order. Oh well. I'm just spoiled from having these things in my local mall's Disney Store.

I'll miss talking to the CMs in the Disney Store too. One of them saw my husband and I in the movie theater and waved hello, telling her family excitedly, "There's a couple of my regulars!" It was a fun bond. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Kerry

This week, we salute the attraction we like to call a couch with a breeze, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. -- Yesterland

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. That explains why I like the stuff online so much more than in the stores.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. That explains why I like the stuff online so much more than in the stores.
    Thanks.
    You're welcome. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Kerry

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Kerry:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DisneyLiz:
    I wonder if there is an address (snail or e-mail) that we can start a letter writing campaign to have them add Adult World?
    A friend of mine who used to work for a Disney Store called people who still do. Right now, Children's Place has no intentions for adult shirts etc. Not even the collectibles like snowglobes, watches, or anything like that. They think it'll be a problem, because a few years ago, the newest president of Disney Stores went in that direction.

He got fired for losing the stores so much business.

I'm guessing The Children's Place isn't looking at what Disney Stores used to make when they catered to all Disney fans. They only look at the children products sales and that's all they want.

That means for adult clothes, snowglobes, figurines, the new Christmas houses etc., we only have Disney Direct online and the theme parks.

Like you said, maybe they'll see they could have more business and bring back the grownup products. We can keep our fingers crossed! [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]thats why i dont go in them much anymore...no cels, snowglobes limited, pins gone, adult clothing, books etc
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

So this would be the reason I got notice that my Disney Store CC is being terminated. I was wondering what the heck was going on! What a bummer! My children are going to be disappointed! We love the Disney Store so much. (of course the kids are 8 and 5) [img]smile.gif[/img] Oh well!
    October 1-8, 2011 Wilderness Lodge
    December 1-8, 2007 The Fountains
    June 16-22, 2005 POP Century!
    Oct. 13-20, 1995 ASM

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Ok, first I want to tell you that I am an Assistant Store Manager at the Disney Store right now. I understand that many people are disappointed with the selection of "adult" orientated Disney merchandise there has been in the stores in the last 5 or so years. I as well have seen layouts, and photos of the new "Mickey" stores. I want to say that the stores themselves look incredible. They really are a fresh interpretation of the magic of Disney. Next, I want to tell you that the focus of the company is our guests 4ft and smaller. And there is a very good reason for this, when we do get adult merchandise in the stores, it doesn't sell until it is clearanced out. That is just a fact. I know some of you will say it isn't that good of merchandise so that is why this is the case, but that is not always true. Occassionally it is, but not always nor even 50% of the time. We have a great selection of adult t's which we will have, and also some very nice snowglobes as well (at least 10 styles at present), and from everything we have been told the direction the new owners want to take is to make it a store for the whole family. Granted, we will not have as much adult merchandise as WDW, or DL, but we will have some. In my own personal experience, at least in the area I live in, those who truly complain about the lack of selection of adult merchandise are the same people that head straight for the clearance area without even a glance at our other great merchandise. In the last 6 months we have been in the process of lowering many of our prices, and introducing EVP on others (EVP=Everyday Value Price). As far as the quality of the product, we are just now getting in the product purchased and produced by TCP. Back to School was the first line of product to be wholy seperate from the WDC.

Basically, I am asking for all of your patience with the changes, and also your input to the stores, and the DM's, and everyone at Home Base. They truly listen to our input, and seem to be ready to try new and exciting things to make this company a success. That doesn't mean that everything will be a success, or that everyone will like each new product etc.., but the company seems to have a willingness to listen and change, which is something that is really nice to have.

I will try to keep you all up to date on any other new and exciting things going on at The Disney Stores...
    [img]graemlins/mickey.gif[/img]

Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

I'm still amazed I have two Disney Stores within 15 miles of my house. I went to both of them this weekend, and both had quite a few people inside, so maybe that's it. I find it curious they picked Trumbull of all places to debut The Mickey. I might have to zip down 91 to check it out.

I'm sorry you didn't like it, Avon. I for one will always wish it was like it used to be, but I guess that will never happen.

BTW, can you still purchase park passes at either The Disney Store or The Mickey?

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by AvonleaCF:
    I live right near Trumbull and was at the mall last week, and let me tell you, the store is UGLY!!! The totally ruined The Disney Store with this new concept.It looks like every other children's clothing store in the mall.
    Thanks for giving us an actual eyewitness account.

Sounds to me like the remodeling they did a few years ago. One of the stores in our area got it, and it was the same thing. They got rid of all the things you named, and it was a Gap store. They threw in a couple Mickeys and said it was a restored "magical" look. Like that would fool people. It didn't; everyone hated it. Shame too, because originally everyone was looking forward to the new design. Instead we were thrilled only 1 store got it, and the one closest to us was left alone!

Now I'm even more sad about it. They've torn out the Disney figures and all from our Disney Store, and this time, I know it's not escaping the new ugly look that's coming.

It was already sad going into the Disney Store most of this year. Once Children's Place bought it, they started getting rid of the adult and collectibles lines. Just when the adult clothing had come back! So tough knowing you were basically at a "going out of business" sale.

So I'll just have to treasure my Dory T-shirt and my Edna Mode interactive talking doll ("You are trapped in your look, darling. Let me design your escape!" ) as my last Disney Store purchases. I wish I had taken pictures of it before it was gutted for the Children's Place look.
    Kerry

Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

I just remembered...for us in the northeast, if The Disney Store or The Mickey just isn't doing it for us, we can go to The World of Disney in Manhattan. I went there a week after it opened and it was mobbed, but I'd like to go back with lesser crowds. I think it's the only place in the world you can get theme park merchandise outside the theme parks. Well, you can get it at Orlando International Airport, but you know what I mean. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Kerry:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AvonleaCF:
    I live right near Trumbull and was at the mall last week, and let me tell you, the store is UGLY!!! The totally ruined The Disney Store with this new concept.It looks like every other children's clothing store in the mall.
    Thanks for giving us an actual eyewitness account.

Sounds to me like the remodeling they did a few years ago. One of the stores in our area got it, and it was the same thing. They got rid of all the things you named, and it was a Gap store. They threw in a couple Mickeys and said it was a restored "magical" look. Like that would fool people. It didn't; everyone hated it. Shame too, because originally everyone was looking forward to the new design. Instead we were thrilled only 1 store got it, and the one closest to us was left alone!

Now I'm even more sad about it. They've torn out the Disney figures and all from our Disney Store, and this time, I know it's not escaping the new ugly look that's coming.

It was already sad going into the Disney Store most of this year. Once Children's Place bought it, they started getting rid of the adult and collectibles lines. Just when the adult clothing had come back! So tough knowing you were basically at a "going out of business" sale.

So I'll just have to treasure my Dory T-shirt and my Edna Mode interactive talking doll ("You are trapped in your look, darling. Let me design your escape!" ) as my last Disney Store purchases. I wish I had taken pictures of it before it was gutted for the Children's Place look.
    </font>[/QUOTE]It's really sad. I was hoping, after reading bwgens' post, that they just weren't done with the remodel yet, but no, it's the final look. And it's horrible. No magic or fantasy, and the lighting is nothing to write home about. It looks like one of those cheap colored light machines you can get at Spencer's Gifts for 10 bucks. [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by AvonleaCF:
    I was hoping, after reading bwgens' post, that they just weren't done with the remodel yet, but no, it's the final look. And it's horrible.
    We'll have to cross our fingers and hope that they'll change with complaints. They'll probably never go into adult and collectibles lines -- they're the Children's Place; adults aren't their industry -- but maybe they'll improve the store look for the kids.

That or they'll drop the Disney Store name and call it something like Mickey's Children's Place to avoid comparisons to the original store.
    Kerry

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

First, I want to say that I haven't actually been to any of the new "Mickey" stores, but I did get a look at many digital photos of the store in CT. And what I have to say is this, nothing can stay the same and I am really growing tired of the complaint of "its not the way it used to be", I mean seriously, the parks aren't even the same as the used to be back 10-15 yrs ago. Some people like it, some don't. I just wish when you have something you don't like don't make blanket statements like "its ugly" etc, say you didn't like it personally because many other people might. The problem with doing that is that you have already possibly tainted the opionins of others who take the opinions on forums like this as truth instead of just opinions. And to touch on something else, I don't know what your stores have/had by way of adult merchandise, but nothing changed in that department after last November when the sale was final. As I said, we JUST NOW began getting all Children's Place purchased/produced merchandise. Whatever you think happened to the adult line, it happened while still under the Walt Disney Company control. But I grow tired of reading this thread, so this will be my last posting in it. If anyone ever has any questions about the Disney Stores I will be more than willing to share any information I am allowed to if you PM me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're over-reacting. Opinions are what this world is all about it. And look at the theme park forum: some people love certain attractions, others hate them. Same with the Disney restaurants. People are allowed to say they hate something, even though many others love it. Most people take opinions and reviews with a grain of salt until they can experience it themselves. I've read on this board countless times that people don't like the Swiss Robinson Tree House or Tom Sawyer Island, but I still went to them on my last trip and I really liked them both.

Moving on, I personally hate the new look of the Disney stores. Not because of the lack of adult merchandise (I don't wear Disney clothes), but because of the way the store looks. It used to have this fun purple carpet with a confetti design and lots of animatronics figures all around the border of the store. They used to sell snow globes and glass figurines and cells and mugs and pins, but now all they have is clothing and stuffed animals and a few toys. It's just not as nice and up-scale as it used to be. And they painted the walls white and replaced the carpet with white tiles. They took down all the Disney statues around the store and took down this really nice mural that was behind the cash registers.

The store, as it is now, is ugly. Sorry if that offends you, but that's the way it goes. There's no Disney magic whatsoever. Yes, they still have the giant screen showing Disney clips with the mountain of the stuffed animals in front of it, but overall, the store reminds me more of Gap Kids than Disney. I don't think my opinion will stop others from going. If their local malls get this new store, they will go and experience it for themselves. I'm sure several people will write back saying they really like it. But you have to prepare yourself for criticism, because a lot of people don't like change.

And I agree: the theme parks have changed over the past 15 years. But they didn't paint over all the bright colors and remove the characters. But we have to face the fact that Disney merchandise no longer owns the store, and with that, it is going to be un-Disney-fied.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

Ran into our remodeled store at Fox Valley Mall in Aurora to get a birthday gift for my 3-year old Niece - it's so small & crammed that you won't catch me in there between mid-November and January!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by KylesMom:
    Ran into our remodeled store at Fox Valley Mall in Aurora to get a birthday gift for my 3-year old Niece - it's so small & crammed that you won't catch me in there between mid-November and January!
    Uh oh! I didn't know it was finally finished. I'll have to go check it out!
    Jane

M A S E C A !

Team Billy - "I'm OK!"

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I went in to the Fox Valley/Aurora store with our 2 year old and an infant in a stroller...

That store is -way- too small! With about 15 other customers in the store, it was packed - we became trapped in the back of the store by the TV (no large display of stuffed characters!) and were jokingly plotting our escape...We figured with one of us on our 2 year old's shoulders, the other could fold the stroller, infant and all, and make a break for it...

The location is perfect...my daughter spotted the store (with a loud "MICKEY!!!!") before I did from the food court, but you won't find me playing human-pinball in that one again.

brentm3

Post Thanks / Like

The Disney store in our local mall is currently in the process of getting this make over it looks really cool.
    Jan-2006-POP
    Mar- 2003-Grand Californian, 2006-AKL
    Apr- 2004-ASM, CS, 2007-POP
    Sept-2005-CR
    Oct- 2005-CR
    Nov-2005-POR
    Dec- 2001-CS, 2002-AKL, 2004-POP, AKL, 2005 POR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: