I just have to say in our district, the principal must approve extended unexcused absences. The parent must fill out a form and it has to be signed and approved by the principal prior to the absence. Our district's policy is that the teacher MUST provide make-up work, but doesn't clarify as to whether the homework should be provided before or after the absence.

In my teaching experience, the principal has never "not approved" a vacation. It is used to formally notify the parents about the attendance policy, and the expectations while the child is out. Even with the principal's approval, the absence is still counted as unexcused and nothing can change that.

Attendance is required at school--I can't remember what the percentage of attendance is, but it does allow for quite a few absences. Our assistant principal is well known for taking parents to court for their chidren's poor attendance--granted these are not the type of parents that inform the teachers and the school about their impending WDW vacation, but it does happen.

I say the simple letter is best, and be sure to give the teacher plenty of notice to get work together and make sure any paperwork for the district/school is completed correctly.

HAVE FUN!