Quantcast Pixie Dust for Teen *Updated 8/3/07* - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like

Continue prayers and for Addison and his family.
    LORI

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so happy that he is doing so well. More prayers and on the way. Thanks for the update

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

That's so great. He's a very strong young man mentally and that's waht will get him through and back on his feet. More prayers and pixie dust for his continued recovery.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update **6/13**

How wonderful!! Addison has spoken his first words!!

June 08, 2007 at 09:23 AM EDT
    “LEAVE ME ALONE”!!!

Addison spoke those words twice the other night – he was tired and just a tad grumpy, lol…… Nick, his LNA, Dianna, his nurse, and I were in the room doing all the nightly things that needed to be done after his shower when he told me first to “leave me alone” – a short while later he told Nick to also “leave me alone”!… We looked at each other and asked him if that was what he said and he gave us a thumbs up -We were all just so thrilled!!..

Tuesday was a trip to Worcester for another follow-up CT scan. Dr. Sungarian was thrilled with Addison’s progress and commented on how much more aware he was from the last visit. He adjusted the shunt so that a bit more fluid would drain and indicated that we may see even more progress. We were also fortunate to get an appointment with the ophthalmologist on Tuesday as well. I cannot tell you how proud we were/are of Addison – he cooperated with everything that he was asked to do and did not even bring his hand up to stop the doctor when he was poking and opening his eye. I believe it was because he is aware enough to know that the doctor was helping him to ease any discomfort he is having with his eye. It is dry eye – so he has a couple of ointments that will need to be put in a few times during the day. In about four to six weeks he’ll be returning to Worcester for follow-up visits with each doctor. He has a vision examination at the Mountain on the 11th .

Addison has been doing great in PT – this week with Leslie and Steve (a new rehab tech) and Judy assisting, Addison stood at the platform walker and actively extended his left knee to stand for about one minute with help from all therapists at first - then just Steve and Leslie when his left knee became active!!! They were thrilled. He repeated this two times. Afterward he was exhausted! He has also been assisting us by “bridging” when getting dressed and undressed.

In speech and OT he has had pudding and yogurt tasting trials. On the first trial he shows signs of strong swallows and good tongue movement. On the second trial he seems to have less initiation to swallow and requires increased verbal and tactile cues – we’re not sure what he thinks or feels during his “tasting trials” - but feel confident that given a bit more time he’ll begin to accept more during each session. Lauren indicated that after a few attempts at the communication board he got frustrated..….

The fishing derby – it was a beautiful sunny day and it was nice to be out getting fresh air with a change of scenery. We had many “nibbles” but unfortunately did not catch a fish!! We actually cheated getting the line in the water – casting was a real challenge for us!! LOL True fishermen we are not!! Addison was able to reel in the line with the adaptive pole by pulling back on a lever. Some of the other clients were much more successful - I think all in all there were about a dozen fish caught.
    Jeri Lynn

Fantasy 9/18 Dream 5/16 Fantasy 9/15 Wonder 10/14 Dream BCV ~ 12/09, BC ~9/18, 12/17 10/15 10/12 11/11 10/10 10/08, 11/07, 9/07, 11/06, 9/06, 12/05, 12/04, 9/04, 9/03, 9/02, 9/01, 12/2000, 9/99
    YC 9/16
    AKL 12/05, 9/05, 11/13
    DXL 9/98
    CBR 9/96
    DXL 5/93
    Off-site 1984, 1908

Post Thanks / Like

That is such wonderful news! Thanks for sharing!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

That's great news! Progress is what keeps the rehabilitation going! I'm glad Addison is getting somewhere... literally!

Lets just hope he doesn't become a grumpy pants and we're all good!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Great news! I am so glad he is making progress.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

That is awesome news!! What great progress. I am really happy to hear that.
    April

Remy: You gotta taste this! This is... oh, it's got this kind of... mmm, it's burny, it's melty... it's not really a smoky taste. It's kind of like a certain... Pshah! It's got like this " Ba-boom! Zap!" kind of taste. Dont you think? What would you call that flavor?
    Emile: Lightningy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Updated 8-3-2007

August 03, 2007 at 11:29 AM EDT
    In addition to his therapies I worked with Addison again on numbers and letters, as well as colors. I gave him multiple choices with colors and letters. I’d show him a number and ask him to let me know what the number was by holding up the correct number of fingers. I’d also hold up two numbers and ask him to add them. He again did all of this without any hesitation….. I asked him if he remembered what number our street address was – and he held up the correct number of fingers. I printed names of every member of our family – I would hold up two names at a time and ask him to show me which one said a certain name, i.e. Mom or Dad, Aaron or Ayla, Tyler or Evan and Matthew or Karen and he’d select the right name I asked him to!!! Yes, he was able to select and take from my hand the right name - of course after he "tired" of it he'd just wave his hand at the names... But, he did it several times before "dismissing" the task. He’d give me a yes or no to questions about the school he went to – I asked if he went to South High? – head shake “no” – North? Again head shake “no” – SPM? With a smile he shook his head “yes”!!! He also remembers the names of his friends…… I’d ask “do you remember” –. Adam – Adam Smith? – he’d shake his head “no” with a little smile – by now he knows what I’m doing…!! Okay, Adam Stowell? He’d shake his head “yes” Matt Red – “No” – how about Matt Roach? “Yes” – Jaron, George, DJ, Alyssa, Julie, Sandman, Jordan, Kelsie, Katie and a few others –I did this with every one of his friends names (that I could remember) and he remembered each and every one – and he’d let me know if the last name was correct or not!!! I’d also ask about teachers’ names, etc. In fact, I found out that Sister Janet (his 7th and 8th grade guidance counselor) was going to be visiting him and when I told him she was coming with Mrs. Stowell, he smiled!

HE HAS MEMORY!!!

It's a pleasure to share one's memories. Everything remembered is dear, endearing, touching, precious. At least the past is safe --though we didn't know it at the time. We know it now. Because it's in the past; because we have survived. Author: Susan Sontag

61 July 27, 2007 at 11:06 AM EDT
    This past week has been good……

Addison is really beginning to interact….. The last couple of Mondays Sue and Aaron have taken Addison to the gym and have been playing basketball with him – at first they used a tennis ball – then a ball that had a little “give to it”. Initially Addison had a hard time releasing the balls, but he is now beginning to have a little more dexterity through his fingers in order to open his hand enough to let the ball drop through the hoop.

Aaron and Jess brought in a puppy which Addison fell in love with. He was extremely gentle when petting the puppy. He’d laugh every time they told him it was a “****zu”!

Before starting prayers this week I asked Addison if he remembered how to make the sign of the cross…-.. he immediately began to do so!!! He has started doing simple arithmetic ….. addition, subtraction and a little bit of multiplication – without hesitation using the fingers on his right hand he can give correct answers!!! I’ve increased his bicep curls to five. If he cheats I make him do them over.. Sometimes he’ll stop after two – and I’ll say “Okay, you did two – how many more do you have to do?” He’ll hold up the appropriate number of fingers and then finish doing them!! It is just so encouraging.…

He is communicating much more with us - whether nodding his head, giving a thumbs up or using his own form of sign language. He’ll hold out his pointer and middle finger to indicate “both”; when he is unsure he will either shrug his shoulder for I don’t know, or sometimes hold his hand out in a somewhat open position while gently moving it back and forth. He is trying so hard to talk…. The words just aren’t there yet – but you sure do know when he’s struggling to say something!! Another thing I’ve noticed lately – when I tell him he’s getting stronger every day – instead of shaking his head no like he use to, he’ll form his fingers to say a “little bit”!!…..
    As quoted by Mark Twain: “The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.”
    Addison will be off the Mountain until late afternoon on Thursday, August 2nd.
    Mail can be sent to Addison c/o
    Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center
    Lower Hayden
    One Verney Drive
    Greenfield, NH 03047
    Messages on his cell: 774-364-1321 –
    When I play and/or read the messages for him he’ll sometimes nod his head as if in agreement and sometimes smile.
    Jeri Lynn

Fantasy 9/18 Dream 5/16 Fantasy 9/15 Wonder 10/14 Dream BCV ~ 12/09, BC ~9/18, 12/17 10/15 10/12 11/11 10/10 10/08, 11/07, 9/07, 11/06, 9/06, 12/05, 12/04, 9/04, 9/03, 9/02, 9/01, 12/2000, 9/99
    YC 9/16
    AKL 12/05, 9/05, 11/13
    DXL 9/98
    CBR 9/96
    DXL 5/93
    Off-site 1984, 1908

Post Thanks / Like

Jeri Lynn, thanks so much for the update. Addison has been through so much and thank goodness, he is making progress.

Here's some for you for being there, not giving up and always looking for the good side of things. God bless you, Addison, your family and Addison's medical team!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Medicine doen't take into account the power of prayers, and the occasional miracle that we all know can happen. I'm so happy that Addison seems to be defying their poor prognosis. Please keep updating us.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: