I think the Walt Disney Company correctly assumes everyone who plans a WDW vacation buys park tickets so emphasizing dining gives them an opportunity to sell more product.

It's like resort merchandise delivery. Is it convenient? Yes. Does WDW do it because like they used to say at the end of the Mickey Mouse Club, "Because we like you!" No, somebody made all the calculations to determine the cost would be offset by increased merchandise sales.

How does this relate to "fine dining"? My wife once observed, "(the) Disney (company) has thought of everything you might want... and how to add it to your room account charges." Some people are "park commandos" and want fast food. WDW provides variety and quality at, considering the setting, a reasonable price. Some people consider restaurant dining an integral part of their vacation. WDW, seeing that market, provides an ever increasing list of choices. If there was a market for "Magical Midnight Snack with Belle and Friends" WDW would provide it.

I personally feel like the attractions at WDW are world class and the food isn't. I like the California Grill but if I had to choose between cutting it or Expedition Everest from a WDW vacation there would be no contest. Happily, we've never had to cut either. I think WDW guests who plan every hour of their vacation around their ADRs are a little too restaurant obsessed but it's their vacation and their choice, isn't it?