We have had two recent stories in the news here in Houston about businesses putting restrictions on children in their establishments. In one, a well-known restaurant is no longer allowing children younger than eight to dine there with their parents after 7 p.m. In the other, a home design store is outright banning children under age 12 from the store. This has caused a bit of an outcry from local parents. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are?

Let me say, first of all, that I am a parent and while my son is grown up now, we did frequently bring him to restaurants and stores with us when he was little. However, I really don't have a problem with what the restaurant and store are doing; in fact, I support their right to do so. Many parents do not supervise their children adequately, especially in stores, and why should the store have to suffer losses because of this? As far as the restaurant, they are family-friendly up until 7 p.m. After that they want to allow adult diners to have a more peaceful atmosphere to dine in. I appreciate this. I mean, do very young children need to be out eating supper at 7 or 8 p.m.?

Parents who don't agree with these policies won't give their business to these establishments, which is their right. If the restaurant or store doesn't mind taking the hit for that, isn't that their right also?