Quantcast Pixar's "Ratatouille" Film [Merged Threads] - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    DisneyJunkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2112 View Post
    Interesting response. My children loved it, and poster after poster in this thread have also stated their children loved it, yet you find that hard to believe? Are we all lying to you?
    So because I found a different type of response to the movie in the theater than you or others did, you take offense to that? Are you by any chance employed with Pixar? I do believe some are exaggerating either their or their children's response to the movie, but I won't quite say they're lying.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    DisneyJunkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetenuff View Post
    pedro, we had the same experience at our viewing of Ratatouille as DisneyJunkie. My daughter (who LOVES all other Pixar movies) and many (not a few, not several, but many) of the other children in the theater grew quite restless after about the first half of the show.

My family didn't care for the movie at all. We wanted to! We're not criticizing or picking it apart just for fun. We LOVE Disney/Pixar and had the highest hopes for this movie. But alas, it didn't do a thing for us. (despite the extraordinary artwork)

I'm glad that so many folks are liking the film. I'm glad all the kids in your theater did too. But I think it is very safe to say that there are children and adults (minority as they may be) that did not.

I don't think DisneyJunkie was calling anyone a liar. I think they were just trying to drive home the fact that the movie has not been well received by 100% of its audience.

Sorry...tension on these boards makes me uncomfortable! I feel like I have to step in and try to smooth things over!

Thank you! You hit the point exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Babe View Post
    There are enough movies that exist for younger kids and this one is a little different, giving an older child some things to think about.
    You made arguably the best post in the entire thread. "Ratatouille," while deserving a G rating, is not a movie for young children. Many preschoolers are bored because the story is too layered and the characters too complex. I wouldn't have related to the plight of Remy or Anton Ego when I was five-years-old.

What does it say that "Ratatouille" is arguably the most critically acclaimed Pixar movie since "Toy Story 2?" The film earned a 96 percent fresh rating--including 100 percent in the "cream of the crop" section (critics from the nation's major newspapers and magazines).

Many critics struggle to relate to the films they review. A good reviewer understands the intention of a movie and determines if the director accomplished those goals. A critic using those standards expecting "Ratatouille" to appeal to youngsters would pan the film. The critics looked at the film as a movie with its own values and merits. They looked at the deep, rich storyline with complicated emotions. For that reason, the reviews were glowing. (In an unrelated note, The New York Times reviewer, A.O. Scott, wrote the best review he's ever written about "Ratatouille.")

So many films are directed exclusively at children. Adults sit in the theater falling asleep or crying from boredom and disgust at the fall of quality family cinema. To some, including myself, "Cars" fits that description.

"Ratatouille" proves something exists between the perfect "Toy Story" and the lackluster "Shrek the Third."
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

DisneyJunkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_nut View Post
    What does it say that "Ratatouille" is arguably the most critically acclaimed Pixar movie since "Toy Story 2?"

"Ratatouille" proves something exists between the perfect "Toy Story" and the lackluster "Shrek the Third."
    Personally, for me, I have to completely disagree. I found no such "rich, deep storyline" in Ratatouille. What I found was a weak storyline stretched out far too long with nothing of any real substance filling in the time. But that's my opinion.

I hardly consider the opinions of critics (whether they're unanimous in praise or criticism) for the movie to carry any weight, when it comes down to my own personal viewpoint of what I came away with from seeing this film. What Ratatouille proves is that Pixar may be starting to take their own previous success and high-quality for granted, assuming that even the weakest of storylines and most uninteresting of plots will be successful simply because they're Pixar. And as a result, we get something that doesn't come close to the excellence of Toy Story 1 or 2, or the Incredibles, or Finding Nemo.

Animation aside, Ratatouille is as weak a cinematic offering as such films put out by other studios such as Hoodwinked, Over the Hedge, or Open Season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyJunkie View Post
    Personally, for me, I have to completely disagree. I found no such "rich, deep storyline" in Ratatouille. What I found was a weak storyline stretched out far too long with nothing of any real substance filling in the time. But that's my opinion.

I hardly consider the opinions of critics (whether they're unanimous in praise or criticism) for the movie to carry any weight, when it comes down to my own personal viewpoint of what I came away with from seeing this film. What Ratatouille proves is that Pixar may be starting to take their own previous success and high-quality for granted, assuming that even the weakest of storylines and most uninteresting of plots will be successful simply because they're Pixar. And as a result, we get something that doesn't come close to the excellence of Toy Story 1 or 2, or the Incredibles, or Finding Nemo.

Animation aside, Ratatouille is as weak a cinematic offering as such films put out by other studios such as Hoodwinked, Over the Hedge, or Open Season.
    I agree with you, I don't listen to critics, because it's MUCH easier to talk about why you dislike a movie and find all the stuff that tears a movie apart, then they talk about how a movie was really disappointing and try to convince others why their view is right.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by sunlyon View Post
    One thing I think that Pixar excels at is to take something you don't care about or is just unloveable and turn it around.

I didn't want to see Cars. I was thinking "how dumb, a movie about talking cars..." We went to see it and I loved it.
    I felt the same way about several of the Pixar films, including Finding Nemo and Cars. The previews just didn't sell me on the films. I saw Ratatouille because of Pixar's track record -- and loved it, just the same as with all of the other Pixar films.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Babe View Post
    Also, the soundtrack is very cool.
    I didn't really notice the soundtrack until the end credits. I loved that piece -- the whole credits sequence reminded me of some 60's films.

"Ratatouille," while deserving a G rating, is not a movie for young children. Many preschoolers are bored because the story is too layered and the characters too complex.
    I wondered about this as we were watching the movie. I was surprised afterwards by how much my kids said they enjoyed the movie (they're 7 and 9).

Many critics struggle to relate to the films they review.
    I wonder how many of those critics were able to relate to Anton Ego?

Mufasa, thanks for the recipe. Our family is eager to try it!
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Putting aside all arguments, I'd just like to throw in my 2 cents.

Brilliant! "Ratatouille" was simply brilliant! I think this is quite possibly Pixar's best so far. The storyline was very strong and unique, the animation was flawless (Beautiful Paris skyline!), and this was genuinely funny. Brad Bird really nailed the comedy down and made "Ratatouille" funny for all age groups. Few have been able to make this happen in recent years. Some parts were downright hysterical! The characters were very well developed, and the message of not discouraging creativity and following dreams came out quietly, but intelligently.

Pixar just keeps getting better every time!

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
    Always CRAZY 4 DISNEY WORLD!
    VMK Name: CrazyForWDW
    "Some imagination, huh?" -Mickey
    "Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantenganse allejado de las puertas." -WDW Monorail
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!" -COP

DisneyJunkie Guest

Actually the only "unique" thing about the story is that it has rats and a Paris restaurant setting. Otherwise, the story about a child wanting his parent's approval and the hard-headed parent softening up is nothing new. It's been done and redone in animated and non-animated films. Watch "October Sky" with Jake Gyllenhaal and Chris Cooper for an example of that.

As far as the humor is concerned, there wasn't really anything in the movie worth more than a slight chuckle. It was rehashed, obvious, recycled humor that was all of the "been there, done that" nature.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the only "unique" thing about the story is that it has rats and a Paris restaurant setting. Otherwise, the story about a child wanting his parent's approval and the hard-headed parent softening up is nothing new. It's been done and redone in animated and non-animated films. Watch "October Sky" with Jake Gyllenhaal and Chris Cooper for an example of that.

As far as the humor is concerned, there wasn't really anything in the movie worth more than a slight chuckle. It was rehashed, obvious, recycled humor that was all of the "been there, done that" nature.
    Wow, just because you didn't like the movie, doesn't mean I can't? Why should I respect your opinion if you don't have the courtesy to let me have my own point of view?

And, it just so happens that the story is unique. A rat who wants to cook? A human and a rat depending on each other to reach their goals? None of that is unique to you? Yes, we have seen the theme of kid trying to win parent's approval and parent softening up, but that's only a part of the story, and, besides, doesn't setting and characters matter anything to you?

As for the humor, you couldn't laugh at the French couple that started hugging after one had a gun on the other? Or the chef that did time in jail (that's not even unique to you?)?

I wouldn't care that you didn't like the film if you could just leave my opinion alone, but since you want to make an argument out of it, there's my rebuttal. "Ratatouille" happens to be my favorite Disney/Pixar movie, that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.
    "Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantenganse allejado de las puertas." -WDW Monorail

Post Thanks / Like

Many preschoolers are bored because the story is too layered and the characters too complex. I wouldn't have related to the plight of Remy or Anton Ego when I was five-years-old.
    It all depends on the pre-schooler. When we saw it at the theatre, we were surrounded by little kids who were very attentive and excited by it. My DS3 LOVED Ratatouille -- he related to it on so many levels -- His Mom cooks a lot (so cooking is something he is interested in), we eat out in good restaurants, he LOVED that they were brothers, he LOVES Colette and the lights and activity of the city (we live in a big city).... He begged me to take him to the bookstore yesterday (it didn't take a great effort mind you) to get a "Ratooey" book -- He walked right up to the clerk, asked for help and came over to me with three books that we had to read right away. Last night he slept with his books.

I don't think the characters in Ratatouille are any more complex than the Cars characters or Marlin in Nemo.....and we all know how popular those movies are with the pre-school set.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

So because I found a different type of response to the movie in the theater than you or others did, you take offense to that? Are you by any chance employed with Pixar? I do believe some are exaggerating either their or their children's response to the movie, but I won't quite say they're lying.
    So because I have a different response, you take offense to that and have to call out my post? I see the obvious double standard. That was out of line, just like pedro2112 was in calling out your opinion. Sorry I ever dared to say something different and hurt your obviously fragile ego. I wouldn't be posting this, but you asked for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Jennifer, I'm glad your preschoolers loved the movie. I wasn't trying to imply all small children will not understand "Ratatouille." But I do think it is probably the most complicated Pixar film thus far for youngsters.

DisneyJunkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4disneyworld View Post
    Wow, just because you didn't like the movie, doesn't mean I can't? Why should I respect your opinion if you don't have the courtesy to let me have my own point of view?

And, it just so happens that the story is unique. A rat who wants to cook? A human and a rat depending on each other to reach their goals? None of that is unique to you? Yes, we have seen the theme of kid trying to win parent's approval and parent softening up, but that's only a part of the story, and, besides, doesn't setting and characters matter anything to you?

As for the humor, you couldn't laugh at the French couple that started hugging after one had a gun on the other? Or the chef that did time in jail (that's not even unique to you?)?

I wouldn't care that you didn't like the film if you could just leave my opinion alone, but since you want to make an argument out of it, there's my rebuttal. "Ratatouille" happens to be my favorite Disney/Pixar movie, that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Wow, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed, didn't they? There always seems to be someone who can't take people disagreeing with them, and the above is perfect example of an overreaction to that.

I didn't attack you, I didn't say you couldn't like the movie, I was simply disagreeing with your view of it. I did and do have courtesy enough to let you have your view. In no way did I say otherwise. I suggest you take some deep breaths and get a grip. No, none of that strikes me as particularly unique, and certainly not the least bit interesting. Let me guess, now I'm not allowed to feel that way about it because you happened to like it? Setting and character happen to matter a lot to me, and because they were so boring and uninteresting in this movie, it just added to what made the movie so disappointing for me.

No, I didn't laugh at the French couple with the gun or the chef in jail. I saw ZERO humor in it, and before you make a comment on that, I do have a good sense of humor, I find many things to be funny. Sadly, I found little to none of those things in this movie.

Whoopie for you if Ratatoillle is your favorite Disney-Pixar film. You're always entitled to your opinion, and welcome to share it like all of us are, whether we liked the movie or not.

DisneyJunkie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4disneyworld View Post
    So because I have a different response, you take offense to that and have to call out my post? I see the obvious double standard. That was out of line, just like pedro2112 was in calling out your opinion. Sorry I ever dared to say something different and hurt your obviously fragile ego. I wouldn't be posting this, but you asked for it.
    No, there is no double standard. Let me apologize for upsetting your likewise fragile ego. Looks to me like people have been going off their meds around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Jennifer, I'm glad your preschoolers loved the movie. I wasn't trying to imply all small children will not understand "Ratatouille." But I do think it is probably the most complicated Pixar film thus far for youngsters.
    No harm, no foul Jared! You said "many" not all. Just tossing my experience out there! It's great to be able to have this discussion. I agree that it is complicated ... but I also think that there is a basic Journey tale in there that everyone can relate to if the rest of it gets to be too much!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

A moderator note here to make sure this discussion remains on how we feel about the movie and not other posters.

The fact that we are having such a lively discussion about the film proves that, on some level, it is extremely successful. We're talking about it very passionately.

Let's keep the passion constructive . . .

Thanks!
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    No harm, no foul Jared! You said "many" not all. Just tossing my experience out there! It's great to be able to have this discussion. I agree that it is complicated ... but I also think that there is a basic Journey tale in there that everyone can relate to if the rest of it gets to be too much!
    Consider your children smart! You have a couple budding brilliant Disney fans.

Post Thanks / Like

My 8 and 10 year olds loved it. My oldest has been pretending he's a chef since he saw it. I enjoyed it, too. Remy is cute!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

This was one excellent movie. The filming was very stylish and the plotline was terrific. Once again, Disney/PIXAR hits one out of the park!!!
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

DisneyJunkie, I'll be the first to say...my bad. I overreacted. Maybe I read too much into your first response, but I thought at the time you were just taking everything I said and saying I was wrong based on previous debate. I can tell now that's not what you meant, but your post combined with your past responses to others took an unintentionally offensive tone to a post I just wanted to be nonconfrontational.

Don't get me wrong, I do like constructive debate and I respect others' opinions. If that's all you were offering, I'm sorry I didn't take it that way.

Let's put this behind us, DisneyJunkie. And I look forward to reading more posts by more people.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: