Quantcast Feelings on the 2008 Dining Plan/Will You Purchase The Dining Plan in 2008? [Merged] - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bookseller View Post

I also believe that the new DDP is a lost of value for the CS as well. If you don't take your
    Actually, no. You can use your TS for a CS, yes, but it doesn't translate into two. It's one-for-one. You can also use a CS for a snack, but not two snacks...just one snack.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I was wrong on that one. Thanks for pointing it out.
    "But you've read it twice!" -The Bookseller

02-1987 Off-Site, 09-2005 Pop Century, 09-2006 Pop Century,
    09 2007 All-Star Sports

Next trip: 09-2006

Yes, I am a Browncoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytravels View Post
    Just a note for the furture- If you children don't like what is on the 3-9 menu you can tell the CM that and you can kid size a adult menu item.
    Wow! Are you sure? If so, this is a GREAT tip! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Clotho
    ... You can use your TS for a CS, yes, but it doesn't translate into two. It's one-for-one. You can also use a CS for a snack, but not two snacks...just one snack.
    While this may work sometimes, it is not guaranteed. The Dining Plan Guidelines do not contain any standard procedure for "trading down" credits.

Some Guests have reported success of talking to Guest Service at their hotel near the end of their trip and having unused credits transfered down on a one to one basis--but again the ability to do so is not guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by magicman
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneytravels
    Just a note for the furture- If you children don't like what is on the 3-9 menu you can tell the CM that and you can kid size a adult menu item.
    Wow! Are you sure? If so, this is a GREAT tip! Thanks.
    Some Table Service locations do offer this, others do not.

It is up to individual locations what they put on their Children's menu and it may vary from seating to seating depending on availability, so just be sure to check with your server when ordering.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

What!!!??? No appetizer? A whole dollar decrease? No Gratuity included? Frankly, I think it's pathetic and I am very dissapointed. Scratch that. Make it extremely annoyed. I'd have no problem with a reasonable increase in price to keep it the way it was, but these changes ruin the whole spirit of the thing. We've always found a Disneyworld vacation to be a good value with the DDP included, but now, I don't think so. I'm sure there are plenty of families that can afford to blow tons of money on food, but ours isn't one of them. It's been a special treat to be able to enjoy great meals, INCLUDING appetizers and desserts, without having to worry about it. I look forward to that as much as I do the parks. Dining is a big part of the whole event. I wonder which hairbrained executive came up with this gem. For the first time in years we will be considering a different vacation for 2008 and that really stinks. Yep, I'm that aggravated.
    Keven

06/76 Disneyland
    06/05 PoP Century - First time for the kids
    08/06 PoP Century - Celebrating DD's B-Day
    07/07 Pop Century - Celebrating DW's B-Day
    06/11 Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    While this may work sometimes, it is not guaranteed. The Dining Plan Guidelines do not contain any standard procedure for "trading down" credits.
    Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. I had heard only that people had done this. Never heard anyone who tried and failed, so it was my assumption. Well...we know what assumin' does.

Post Thanks / Like

Default For

I purchased the deleux plan for our upcoming January trip. We have scheduled character breakfasts and nice table service for dinner. Plus the 2 snacks and a quick service lunch it pays for us. Plus it keeps us on a budget to not go overboard on extra stuff.
    Dreams are a wish your heart makes

Post Thanks / Like

I only made it through the posts on page 1, but it looks like we're in the minority.....we're going to get the deluxe ddp for our 2008 trip. It's not a cost savings, but it adds up to what our food budget would be if we were paying oop (except the tip) and we'll have flexibility to do ts or cs, instead of being limited to one ts per day.
    2008 - Thanksgiving at WDW!
    2007 - Memorial week at Pop Century
    2007 - DH surprised me for our 10th at Pop
    2005 - CBR in August
    2004 - ASMo with my boys!
    1997 - CBR Honeymoon

Post Thanks / Like

No
    This will be my last year on the DDP
    Just Curious Michael Eisner isn't back is he?
    Toadie

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also very disappointed in the changes. It's SO irritating that they took out the appetizer and gratuity!!! I would gladly pay the extra $1 for it!
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to use the DP for one last time in January, only because my husband loves it (even without the appetizer and tip) and my son is still 9. Once my son turns 10 there is no way we will be purchasing the DP. We could never come close to breaking even when all he wants to eat are hotdogs, cheeseburgers, and PB&Js.

"I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back and wanted to throw out a little related piece of info I saw while I was there.

On the TV at the Poly, there was the usual resort television info, including a constantly scrolling list of info about resort times, events, points of interest, etc. One thing caught my eye. It said that if you now had the option of trading in a TS credit for a "Quick Service" meal (CS to us), and you would also receive either an additional TWO snack credits -OR- a lanyard with trading pins.

I think the overbooking on the free DDP had caused a lot of angry people who had not made adequate ADR's, and were being forced to use their TS at CS locations. This was a way to appease them. I wonder if it worked... It was just a blip on the screen, and the few people I ended up chatting with on this trip about the DDP didn't seem to know about this. So it wasn't widely advertised by any stretch. I also wonder if this is an ongoing offer, or if it was just related to the free DDP promotion going on now causing extra crowds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
    I also wonder if this is an ongoing offer, or if it was just related to the free DDP promotion going on now causing extra crowds.
    I believe they started this last Fall during the free dining period along with doing a bunch of quickly added dining locations.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
    ... the option of trading in a TS credit for a "Quick Service" meal (CS to us), and you would also receive either an additional TWO snack credits -OR- a lanyard with trading pins...
    Yep, they offerd this last year to people when they couldn't meet the TS demand caused by the included Dining Promotion.

There isn't enough pixie dust in Neverland to make this seem like a good deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I did the number crunching, I still save about 15_20%. I go to disney for disney, not for value. Plus i'm a foodie and I enjoy the TS and I don't travel with kids. Now I think the Deluxe DDP is a better deal, but I can't see eating that much food. Maybe if it was a special occasion and Ii'd eat at the 2 dining credit places, but I enjoy other TS and Cs locations.

If I still save money, it's worth it. Plus I'm an individual who enjoys the planning. and doing math...

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I did the math for our upcoming trip, I found that using any halfway decent discount (AAA, AP, PIN) was at least a little better than paying for the DDP. And this was calculated even by predicting the appetizers, entrees, and desserts we were likely to get while on the DDP and getting those same items if we were off the DDP. We are only using the DDP next week because it is free. With the changes to the plan after this trip it is unlikely we will ever use it again.

And unlike some people, I don't see the convenience of having meals pre-paid anyway. With added things to think about like signature dining, breakfasts, kids meals, and so forth, I think it can be more compilcated than just paying out of pocket.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceship Tigger View Post
    ...I don't see the convenience of having meals pre-paid anyway. With added things to think about like signature dining, breakfasts, kids meals, and so forth, I think it can be more compilcated than just paying out of pocket.
    I never understood the pre-paid rationale either. I'd rather have money in my pocket as long as possible making interest, etc. I feel I have a lot more control when I'm the one in control of the dollars, maybe the furnace goes, maybe someone needs a little help, etc. I use one card on my vacation and I pay it off next month when the bill comes in. The reward dollars start to pile up even while I'm on vacation!

I've heard a lot of stories about people being charged more credits than they were expecting, or the staff not ringing it up as expected (maybe you want to OOP this meal and not use the credits you might have).

Oh well, I guess everyone has their own reasoning...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytravels View Post
    1) I have seen this at 2-TS Signature restaurants.
    2) I have not heard of it being done at normal TS restaurants.
    3) I would not count on it.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceship Tigger View Post
    Whenever I did the math for our upcoming trip, I found that using any halfway decent discount (AAA, AP, PIN) was at least a little better than paying for the DDP.
    Where do you get these discounts and what are they??

Post Thanks / Like

We will be at WDW in a week and plan to book the promotional package with the free dining and upgrade to the deluxe package. Many people have mentioned that you just can't eat that much food. If you ate everything on your plate at 3 sit down meals that is probably true. We plan to use the abundance of TS credit to try some of the Signature dinning restaurants. I feel that the $32 cost is well worth it to try some restaurants that we probably would not have done without the plan.
    Bailey's Drhama
    Coming up :) Sept 16 AKL Club Level*
    *Sept 15 POR***Sept 14 - AKL*
    *Nov 12 - POR***Sept 11 & 09 - POFQ*
    *Sept 08 - POR***Sept 07 - OKW*
    *Dec 06 - CBR***Sept 05 - W Cabins*
    *Dec 03 - CSR & WL***Sept 01 & 99 - off site*
    *June 98 - ASM***Dec 97 & 96 - GF*

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: