Quantcast No Dreams, but Still a Great Trips (Feb. 1 - 9)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Dreams, but Still a Great Trips (Feb. 1 - 9)

Well, this trip has been a long time in coming for my family and especially for myself & my DH. We have had so many obstacles in the way of our planning in the last couple years and are so excited we are finally getting to take this much needed vacation.

Let me introduce you to all who will be joining us on this trip...

Me (Ashley) & DH (Robert)
    I am 29 years old and love anything Disney. I grew up taking lots of trips with my grandparents & sisters. This will be my 3rd trip with my DH. He is 36 years old and up until our honeymoon, he had never been to Disney World. On his first trip there, he fell in love with it and now looks forward to our trips as much as I do. He loves anything to do with Disney imagineering.

DS (Jennifer)
    It took quite a while before we were finally able to convince her to go with us on this trip. Her last trip was in 2000, so after telling her about all the new things at Disney, she finally caved in and is now as excited about the trip as me.

DGM (Nana) & DGF (Pawpaw)
    Nana & Pawpaw took myself & my sisters on many trips to Disney when we were kids, but there last trip was in 2000 as well and while Nana is having a hard time leaving her dog at home, she is looking very forward to going back to her favorite vacation place.

Just to give you a bit of background about how this trip came about, we have to travel back in time to March/April 2006. Robert & I had planned a trip for February 2007. We had it planned and paid for but when money problems hit, we ended up having to cancel that trip. Unfortunately, the day we cancelled it was on our 2 year anniversary, so that kinda sucked. But, we cheered ourselves up and decided we'd just try to plan another vacation later on. Well...that kinda got put on hold for a while.

A couple months after our trip was cancelled, Robert (who is in a wheelchair because of spina bifida) had to have a couple surgeries for a pressure sore, and he ended up having to be in bed for about 6 months and because of all the medical bills, we we're big time in debt. We couldn't even begin to think about another vacation yet...

Well, around the beginning of April 2007, even though Robert was still in bed at this time, we started tentatively talking about planning a vacation to Disney for around our anniversary in November, since we had to cancel our last trip on our last anniversary. We started making plans and everything seemed to be working out good. We had arrangements for a free room for the week at a timeshare a friend of ours owned and we made all our ADR's and started saving money.

Well, as the time for the trip got closer, we still didn't feel like we were financially ready to spend all the money on a trip, so we decided to just postpone things for a few months. And, since we decided to do that, my sister & grandparents decided that they wanted to go with us. So now, this vacation for 2, had now become a vacation for 5 scheduled for the first week of February 2008.
    1996...Magic Music Days...Off Site
    2000...With family...Off site
    2004...Honeymoon...POFQ
    2005...1 yr anniv...POR
    2008...4 year anniv...Windsor Hills
    2011...8 year anniv...Lighthouse Key
    2015...10 Year Anniv...Windsor Hills

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you had a great time!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hope you have lots of fun and make many
    happy memories. So happy your trip is going to
    work out this time.

Post Thanks / Like

February 1, 2008

Robert & went to bed on the 31st around 7:30 p.m. or so. It was hard going to sleep so early, but some Tylenol PM helped with that. We had to get to sleep early though because on the 1st, we woke up at 3:30 a.m., got dressed, finished our last minute packing and got ready to hit the road. Believe me, at 3:30 in the morning, we were still a bit dreary-eyed. But, we got the car loaded and around 4:40 a.m., we left Mobile, AL.

We stopped shortly after leaving to grab some breakfast at Burger King, but other than a couple stops along the way for gas or bathroom breaks, we went straight on through and arrived at Allstar Movies at 1:00 p.m. After being in the car for 8 hours, I think my DH went a bit nuts. He started taking crazy pictures. Here's one that still makes me laugh.

We had never stayed at any of the value resorts before and weren't really sure if we were going to like it at all. We were pleasantly surprise though. The Movies was very cute and well-themed. We only had to stand in line maybe 15 minutes to get checked in, but while waiting around, it gave us a chance to take a few pictures.

We got to our room, in the Fantasia building quickly and thought it was just adorable. After settling in to our room (we were only staying one night), we took a little while to walk around the resort and get a few pictures. Some of the more expensive Disney resorts are beautiful and elegant, but for anyone with kids, or anyone who is just a kid at heart, the Allstar resorts are just so cute! We had so much fun walking around and taking in all their was to see.

Finally though, after walking around awhile, we realized that we were both hungry, so we stopped by the foodcourt for lunch. Robert had the Chicken Penne Alfredo which he said was pretty good, and I had a personal cheese pizza, which was okay. I also got a refillable mug. I have no idea why I bought this since we were only staying in a Disney resort for one night, but I thought they were cute with the Year of a Millon Dreams design on them and I did end up refilling it several times before we checked out.

One thing though, I thought the Allstar resorts had Icee's or slushes or something you could fill the mugs with. If they did, the Movies didn't or I didn't see it...oh well.
    2004...Honeymoon...POFQ
    2005...1 yr anniv...POR

Post Thanks / Like

2/1/08 cont...

After getting some lunch from the Movies food court, we grabbed our stuff from the room and headed over to Epcot to spend a few hours. When we got there, it wasn't insanely crowded, but there were quite a few people. We quickly got our photopass picture done and then made our way to SE.

I hadn't ridden Spaceship Earth since 2000, so since there was only a 10 minute wait, I grabbed a spot in line while Robert waited for me and took pictures outside (he isn't able to transfer to this ride vehicle). I thought the updated ride was pretty good. I enjoyed the starfield simulation on the way back down and the seats in the ride vehicle are still as uncomfortable as I remember them. The cartoon at the end was corny, but cute. I didn't hate the updated version like I thought I might after the way some people talked about it, but I do think they could do more with the end. I also wish since they take your picture, they'd offer some sort of option to scan your photopass card and retrieve the picture at the end of the ride, like they do with Test Track.

After Spaceship Earth, Robert and I headed over to the Nemo ride at the Living Seas. This was a new ride for both of us and we thought it was really cute and well done. We loved the way they put the Nemo characters in the tank with the real fish.

We spent a little bit of time after the ride looking at the fish in the smaller tanks and then we quickly went over to see Turtle Talk with Crush. That was a very cute show and I actually got called on by Crush for a chat with him. I thought that he would only interact with the kids sitting down in front, so it was neat getting called on myself.

Next, we headed over to the land to try and get fastpasses for Soarin. Unfortunately, they were completely out of them and the wait was at 70 minutes. We weren't ready to stand in that long of a line so we decided to ride Living with the Land and see if the wait time shrunk any...

It didn't...by the time we finished Living with the Land (which was walk-on at the time we did it), Soarin had gone up to 75 minutes. Robert, who has never done Soarin before was dying to try it, so we sucked it up and got in line. They try to lessen what seems to be an intermitable wait by having the "interactive" screen games, but they are just corny and by the time we were halfway through the line, my feet were screaming. I ended up just sitting down and getting up whenever the line would move, only to sit back down for a little longer. We finally did make it through the line though and while we weren't sure if I'd be able to help transfer Robert to the ride vehicle, it was actually really simple and they gave us plenty of time to do it. Robert loved it! I did to, but it was neat doing the ride with him and seeing it through his eyes for the first time.

After Soarin, we headed over to Test Track. This is another one Robert can't do since he can't transfer, so I hopped into the single rider line and finished that ride in about 20 minutes. It was so much fun. I hadn't ridden it in about 8 years either and had forgotten how much fun it was.

By the time we left that ride, we were beginning to get hungry and we were pretty tired as well since we'd been up since 3:30 in the morning. We went ahead and got our extra magic hour wristbands thinking we'd just grab a bite in the park and then hit some more attractions, but after sitting down for a little while, looking at the park map, we just couldn't summon up enough energy to walk around anymore, so we made the decision to head back to the hotel and just order a pizza.

On our way out, we had a photopass photographer get a nightshot with us in front of SE and then we headed for the hotel.

We got back quickly and placed an order for pizza room delivery. About 30 minutes later, the pizza arrived and we dug in. It was pretty good, but I had made the mistake of ordering a large, which was entirely too big for us.

After we ate, it didn't take us long to settle down and fall asleep. It had been a long, but really great first day. The weather had been perfect and while the crowds at Epcot were a little worse than we had hoped, they still weren't bad.
    2004...Honeymoon...POFQ
    2005...1 yr anniv...POR

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your trip is off to a great start. Glad you were able to make the trip this time. Can't wait to hear more about it. Thanks for sharing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great beginning. Thanks for sharing.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking forward to reading more of your reports!
    1988,97,98*,99, 2000,01*,02*,04*,05*,07,08*,09,11,12*,13*'14*,15&, 16*,17(*=2x that year &=3x) on site WDW
    Next trip to WDW: Planning October 2017 and beyond! I love my AP!
    1991 DL 1993 DL Paris
    "If we can dream it, we can do it"
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Natomas, California = 2908 miles from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the start of something wonderful. I'm really glad you had a great first day but I can see how you must've been exhausted.

Looking forward to reading more.
    Polynesian & DCL - 1st trip Jan 3rd '08 ºOº
    Many Trips to Disneyland Resort ºOº

Even if you're on the right track - you'll get run over if you just sit there!!
    - Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great start. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you were finally able to get to Disney! Sounds like you're off to a really fun start!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad you finally got to take your trip!!! So far it sounds like you're having a great time, I can't wait to read more! Thanks for sharing it with us!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default February 2, 2008

This morning, we woke up bright & early, got our showers and after packing up our stuff and hauling it down to the car, we headed over to the Polynesian Resort for breakfast @ the Kona Cafe. It was gorgeous morning and we couldn't wait to start our day.

When we first got there, we found a parking spot and headed into the hotel. We got to the elevators when (stupid me) I realized I had forgotten the money for breakfast. So, I sent Robert upstairs to check-in and I ran back to the car. By the time I got back, they were ready to seat us. We got seated in a corner booth and our waitress got our drink orders. Then, one of the seating hosts, came up to us and asked us if we'd mind moving to another table since Robert was in a wheelchair and it was blocking the path. We said sure so they moved us to a table, which was better anyway.

A new waitress came and got our new drink orders and the old waitress came over and apologized that we had to move and told us that she wished she could have been our waitress and wished us a great day. We thought that was really sweet.

After our drinks came, then we placed our order. I ordered the Tonga Toast on the recommendation of many people on the Disboards and Robert ordered the Pineapple Macadamia pancakes. Also, since we don't eat pork, they substituted it with Turkey bacon.

My Tonga Toast was pretty good, but way to much for one person. Robert said his pancakes were really good and better than he thought they would be.

After we ate, we paid our bill and headed out to the car to go to Animal Kingdom for a few hours.

We arrived at Animal Kingdom about 9:30 a.m. and by the time we got there, the park was already packed! It was the weekend of course, but it was still more crowded that we figured it would be for February.

We got our obligatory shots of the tree and our photopass pics and we were on our way.

First thing we did, was head for what we thought was Expedition Everest. We wanted to get a fast pass so we could come back to it later and then wanted to head to Kilanjaro Safari. Well, I'm an idiot of course and must have had a brain fart, because for some reason, I thought I was getting a fast-pass for Everest, but was actually at the fastpass machines for the Safari. We got our passes and then decided to just wait in line and then go again when our fastpass time came. Well, we got in line and something just didn't seem right to me and finally, it came to me that I was in line for the Safari, not Everest. Okay, yeah, I felt stupid. Robert thought I just knew what I was doing so he didn't say anything.

Well, since the line for the safari was so long and we had fastpasses for it, we got out of line and actually headed for Everest this time. I couldn't wait to ride it since in 2005 when we were there, they were still just building the ride. The wait time was only about 20 minutes so we got in line. Robert couldn't ride but he wanted to see the queue with me.

All I have to say is that this ride is a cool as everyone says. My only complaint was that at the last part where you see the Yeti, the lights were out or something, cause I never saw him. Everything else was great though.

After we finished Expedition Everest, our fastpass time had come for Kilimanjaro Safari so we headed back over to Africa for that. Even with fastpass, we still stood in line about 30 minutes, but we finally got loaded onto the truck and began our 2 week journey...

Once we finished our safari & rescueing little Red, we were hot and tired and we decided to head on over to the Grand Floridian for our 2:00 reservation for tea. More on that next...

2004...Honeymoon...POFQ
    2005...1 yr anniv...POR

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you are having a really great time so far. I am sorry for all the delays you had in getting this trip, but I am sure that made it even more sweet once you were finally there. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

After we left AK, we headed over to the Grand Floridian for our 2:00 appointment for tea at the Gardenview Tea Room. We had never done this before and were very excited but weren't sure what to expect. We arrived way to early and had about 45 minutes to kill, so we wandered around the Grand Floridian lobby & 2nd floor and then sat in the lobby chairs until they opened shortly after 2:00.

Once they got us checked in, our waitress came over and began to go over all the menu & tea options and she explained any questions we had since we'd never done this before.

really expected to see a lot of ladies at tea, but surprisingly, there were several younger and older couples, several mother/daughter groups and then several groups of ladies.

I decided to get the Sally Luna tea with Scones and the Nobo Whole Fruit Tea. Robert decided that he wanted to get the British cheese & fruit plate with the Nobo Whole Fruit Tea. We knew we'd have plenty to eat so we planned to share each course with each other. I wasn't sure though if I would like Robert's cheese tray because I am usually a pretty simple person when it comes to food. I like what I know and am hesitant to try new things.

When they brought his cheese tray out, I knew I was going to have to give some of them a try because even though they looked very different than anything I had tried before, I was really curious. Also, the tea they brought out in the pressed pots looked great too.

The cheese & fruit plate...the only cheese name I remember...It was called Boursin cheese. OMG! It was soooooo good. It had a buttery garlic flavor and after we ate it, I made a point to ask our server what it was called and where we could get some. She said we could get it at Publix and since we dont' have one where we live, we ended up getting some later in the week to take home with us.

The tables for 2 are very small so at times it felt a little cramped, but we managed. Like I said earlier...tea was wonderful. Since they bring each of you a press pot, you have plenty to drink throughout your entire meal and they give you plenty of sugar cubes to sweeten your tea.

After we had our first course, the cheese & fruit plate, they brought us the sweet bread & apricot preserves that came with my Sally Luna Tea. This was pretty good but nothing to write home about. After that, she brought out the scones, with 2 different types of jam. These again, were good, but by this time, we were getting stuffed and could barely eat anymore.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the afternoon tea time to anyone. Even if you don't care for hot tea, they have other beverages and they offer quite a good selection of food items to tempt anyone. The atmosphere was very relaxing and I didn't think I would like being right off the lobby where others could look in, but really, you don't notice, and on the other side of the tea room, you have a beatiful view of some of the GF courtyard.
    2004...Honeymoon...POFQ
    2005...1 yr anniv...POR

Post Thanks / Like

Thats cool

Post Thanks / Like

Default Day 2 Cont...Allstar Vacation Home & Disney Quest

After leaving the Grand Floridian, it was time to go check-in at Allstar Vacation Homes so that we could move into the condo we'd be staying at for the week. Using our trusted GPS, that we have named "Lola", we found the Allstar office and got our paperwork, the condo address and the door code.

About 20 minutes later (should have taken 5) we found our condo (we couldn't find the entrance - we were on the wrong street).
    Anyway, we grabbed a few of our things and we headed up to the fourth floor to where our condo was located. We proceeded to enter the code we'd been given, but nothing happened. We tried it several more times and when it still wouldn't work, we walked down the hall to the directional signs to be sure we had the right condo. We did. You see, we were at 2785 Almaton Loop # 405. That was our side of the building. The other side, even though it had a #405 at the other end, was a different address. We finally called Allstar to tell them we couldn't get in. So, over the phone, he gave me 2 different codes, but each time, nothing would happen. So, he finally told us to sit tight, they were sending someone over to help us.

About 30 minutes later, a guy finally showed up and using the original code we'd be given, he got us in. I still swear, I was pushing down hard enough on the handle, but that was what he said the problem was. Oh well, we were in...that was all I cared about.

We spent the next 15 minutes or so wandering around the condo, checking it out. It was great...very spacious and pretty. It was well decorated and perfect for our group of 5 adults. As you entered, you started in a nice size foyer, with a laundry closet to your left with full-size washer & dryer, laundry basket & extra towels. To your right was a nice size kitchen that had plenty of dishes and other things we'd need for the week. Straight ahead was the dining room/living room and it had a flat-panelled tv and 2 comfy leather couches. The screened in patio was right off the living room.

Off the living room was one of the bedrooms. It had a king-size bed, with big walk-in closet and a private bathroom.

As you went down the hall, there was a 2nd bedroom with 2 twin beds and another good-sized closet. At the end of the hall was a bathroom and the other bedroom, also with walk-in closet and king bed. The two hall bedrooms shared a bathroom, but it was big and had doors going from the hall & bedroom so you could have complete privacy and easy access.

We finally got everything hauled up from the car and got it unpacked and settled and after getting a shower, we headed to Downtown Disney. It was a good 20 minute drive from the condo and by the time we got there (probably around 7 pm or so, all but one of the parking lots were full. We had a feeling that we had made a huge mistake in trying to do Disney Quest, not only during Mardi Gras week, but also on a Saturday night. We were right. It took us 15 minutes to find a parking spot and the place was packed. We wandered around from floor to floor, but it was so packed, we couldn't find much to do without standing in a long line. I finally did Ride the Comix, but ended up with such a headache afterwards that I didn't want to do anything else. Plus, I just felt gross wearing the headset and breathing into it when 10-dozen other people with who knows what kind of germs were doing the same thing.

So about 10:00, after getting a bite to eat, we decided to head on home. We still needed to go to Walmart and get some groceries for the week, but after stopping at a local grocery store and seeing the way-to-high prices, we just decided that I would get up the next morning & go to Walmart.

We got home, changed clothes and we got to sleep by Midnight I think.
    2004...Honeymoon...POFQ
    2005...1 yr anniv...POR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: