Quantcast Air Tran Ruins Last Day Of Trip - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoohsGang View Post
    "People should not be upset with the airlines directly."

So your saying we should be happy not upset that they can walk all over us, boy I should have thought of that. I'm happier now!
    No, BigRedDad was trying to explain to you that you get what you pay for. I don't think any airline says once you have booked with us we will not change your flight. It's true what he says...that's how Airtran keeps their costs down and makes flights cheaper. I'm not sure why you're still upset by all of this. Didn't you cancel your tickets, got your money back, and saved $200 on a different flight on another airline anyway??? I say move on!
    Disneyland Jun 01'
    ASM Jan 04'
    PC Jan 05'
    PC Jan 07'
    PC Jan 08'
    PC Jan 09'
    POR Sept 09'
    Disneyland July 10'
    POR Sept 11'
    Disneyland July 12'
    POR Nov 13'
    Disneyland 14'
    POR Jan 15'
    POR July 17'
    Disneyland July 17'
    Disneyland Paris Mar 19'
    Disneyland July 19'
    PC Sept 19'

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

its getting to whether you risk a low fair airline that could make so many changes that end up getting to your destination a day late and leaving a day earlier.

I book with the airline that I feel is reliable and keeps me from losing sleep. I am paying a few $ more for this comfort...but it is worth it
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

They do usually let you know when it is completely comfirmed. I have had this on USAirways too. Why not stay an extra night at a value resort???
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

I always use SW. Customer service is wonderful .

Post Thanks / Like

I can sympathize. I know 2 people who went through the exact same thing. Although they were not offered a refund, I am sure they would have jumped at the offer. My sisters flight was changed 3 times without notice before she left.

You will love SW. Just remember to check in 24 hours before yoiur departure. You will get the best space in line to board. It's no longer a cattle call like it was, it's well organized and it goes quickly. We just got back last night and used SW both ways and enjoyed every minute of our flight. The attendants are absolutely accomodating and funny to boot. I think once you see what they are like you will never fly with anyone else. Also remember to bring you confirmation with you where ever you will be the last day before you leave to check in and print a boarding pass. Your resort will do it, guest relations will do it or if you have internet access you can do it on your phone and get the boarding passes at the airport.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Now could people explain The cattle seating or whatever they call it with SouthWest, also any comments about Southwest? Good or bad?
    Actually here's all you need to know ... exactly 24 hours before your flight (and I do mean exactly) go online and check in for your flight and print boarding passes.

You'll be fine if you do that.

Quote Originally Posted by TiggTigg5 View Post
    I fly Southwest almost 100% of the time, and haven't had a bad experience yet.
    I'm with Ed ... I've switched to exclusively flying Southwest and I've never had a single bad experience.

Until they prove me wrong, I'm 100% committed to always flying Southwest.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

So your saying we should be happy not upset that they can walk all over us, boy I should have thought of that. I'm happier now!
    What I am referring to is that you made a choice to fly an airline that will cancel flights if they cannot at least break even on the cost. Not only the cost of your flight, but the flight that is supposed to get your plane to your airport. Next, you chose the cheapest fare which will provide you with little leverage when working with agents on a canceled flight. If you purchase 1st Class tickets, then you have priorities that Coach class passengers do not. This is a personal choice and it is completely up to you.

The recommendation I have is to use an airline that does not have these issues. Just on these boards, neighbors, and people I work with, it is easy to find that Delta, United, Northwest, and AirTran do this. I am sure many others do as well. This is where Southwest excels. They have regional routes only and they maintain those routes very well. I have never experienced a canceled flight on SWA and I do not recall reading any instances here. I did encounter a 2 hour delay from MCO to RDU on our retunr flight in April. This was not entirely unexpected because of the major storms in the Midwest and our plane was coming from Chicago and got held up there.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

We have flown AirTran out of Indianapolis about 8 times and haven't had any problems-no big schedule changes.

This year we are driving. I was worried this would be the year we would have a problem-I always time our flights for when we need to leave and only fly non-stop.

Sorry to hear you had problems-it is frustrating.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Many airlines change flights. We have actually missed connecting flights on return flights when the times were changed while on vacation, to return home to messages informing us of the changes.
    This is the small stuff I say. What is 5 hours when you still get to visit WDW?
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

I can completely sympathize with you PoohsGang! I'm a neurotic planner! It's what I do & I love it! But I know I would be really upset if someone else changed my plans for me!
    We didn't fly this year, we drove, which I hated! It felt like the time spent driving was just wasted. But our last trip that we flew was 2 years ago & Delta changed our flight there & the return flight as well! I can't remember all of the times, but I do know that one of the flights was changed a couple of times. We were never notified, I learned of the change only because I'm completely neurotic & continue to check the flights & prices to be sure we got the best deal! Lucky for us the changes didn't interfere with any of our hard laid plans! I know that I would have felt just like you! I don't think what we pay for airfare is pocket change & I guess I feel like when I purchase something I'm going to get what I understood that I was paying for! You planned for that trip for those priceless moments & then poof! your plans go up in smoke! I'm sorry this happened to you. We've had many problems with Delta, but yes, it is the best price we've found & with 2 young DS's in tow, a mortage & tuition, I'm not going to go looking for more expensive arline tix! That would be nonsense for us & a deal breaker. I guess becuase it's all legal, it's perfectly acceptable, but I'm sure more people would be upset if it actually wrecked some of their plans!
    I'm reading lots of good comments about SW here, but I've always been nervous about them, because I've heard that they typically overbook their flights & people getting bumped off is an everyday occurence! I can't imagine making all those plans, ressies & spending all that money to get bumped off my flight!

I hope the rest of your plans all work out & that you make many wonderful memories & have a magical trip!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Count me as another dissatisfied Air Tran customer. All airlines change flight times, so I can't get to exercised over that issue.

My experience beyond changes is that they have done a poor job of informing passengers on delays. The Atlanta gate agents and customer service reps went out of their way to help, but the Orlando employees were not interested in the least at trying to help. I've never been so incensed in my life as I was at the attitude of the customer service reps in Orlando.

We now avoid Air Tran like the plague.
    Upcoming Trips:

March '11 Beach Club Villas
    July '11 Disney Institute Seminar-Beach Club
    Aug '11 Wonder to Alaska
    Nov '11 BLT

DVC Member Since 11/06

Post Thanks / Like

The family and I are having the same issues with AirTran. We have been flying them for at least 5 years now - we can leave from the local airport Westchester County NY and get to Orlando in no time. We avoid the NYC airports and save on the limo service too!

Well DH and I booked for Sat 10/18 leaving at 8:20 am. The parents/sister's fam booked for Sun 10/19 leaving at 8:20 am. DH and I got bumped to a 3:45 flight on 10/18 and the par/sis the same on 10/19. Then they put back the 8:20 so we moved out ressies back. AGAIN they changed - this was all in June/July (we booked in April!).

So needless to say, DH and I have to stop in Atlanta on the way to Orlando lvg NY at 7:55 am and getting into Orlando around 12:25. The parents/sister's fam are now coming down on Sat 10/18 (so much for alone time with DH) lvg NY at 1:45 into Orlando non-stop at 4:35.

We probably will not be flying AirTran either after this. The crew is pleasant and we have never had a problem until now. THEY ALSO DID NOT!!!! NOTIFY US OF THE CHANGES - another BAD for them.

JetBlue has been flying out of Westchester too. I have a bad experience with them in 2007 with the Valentine's Day Snow Storm in NYC. I think I may have to give them a 2nd chance.

Good luck - going to check AIrTran site now to make sure they do not change AGAIN since we leave in less than 11 days.

#35 - SSR 05/16
    34 trips
    2015 SSR
    2014 GFV & CBR/ToT 10mi!
    2013 DWL & POFQ
    2012 Bdwlk & SSR
    2010, 2011 OKW
    2009 BLT & SSR
    2008 SSR & AKV
    2007 SSR 2x
    2006 SSR 2x
    '05 DVC!SSR/DCL
    '03,'04, '07 POP
    '98, '99 ASMo
    '95, '96 2x, '97, '98 ASMu
    '89-'94 Off

Post Thanks / Like

I also much prefer Southwest. We use it to fly out of Orlando instead of in, but we love it.

The other day I was reading that Southwest has the best record on not losing luggage. You know sooner or later it has to happen. Guess who was sooner? They got it back to us pretty quickly, especially since we had flown into Ausitn and driven to San Antonio.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

We fly either United or American out of O'Hare, usually costs us about $300 each round trip - and have had the same experience as the o/p the last several years, regardless of the carrier. We always book 6-12 months before our travel dates - the first flight out, and return on the last flight back. I can't remember the last time our flights remained as booked - we end up leaving later and coming home earlier than we expect each time. I guess we've just gotten used to the fact that they can (and will) change the flights closer to our travel time to ensure a full plane. We also love the Airline Check-In service that Disney provides, but with the price of flights for next year we may begin looking at Southwest. I'm just concerned that we won't be able to "fly" together as a family . . . had that problem on ATA once, and DH said never again - he insists on assigned seating.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

This happened to us while booking a January trip on Airtran as well.
    They moved our flight up 6.5 hours on our return home.

I called and they moved us to another flight with no problem (since the change was so drastic).

The employee I spoke with did say (although it is just a rumor) that b/c of fuel prices she heard that many non-stop flights would be being eliminated in the future so they can pick up more passengers for profit - but again - it was just a rumor.

It's unfortunate, but it makes sense.
    Dec 2002, All Star Music (1 yr anniversary)
    Dec 2001, All Star Movies (honeymoon)

Post Thanks / Like

To put the customer service in perspective - assume you had a coveted ADR at CRT for breakfast at 8:00 on your DD birthday. You show up and find out that morning that they have closed CRT becuase it was only 50% full that day and they were not going to make any money at that level. Since you haven't paid anything (let's assume this is the old days when you didn't prepay) you get nothing in return, they do suggest you could go over to the Main Street Bakery to satisy your hunger.

I'm sure those that are unhappy in this thread with the airlines would be equally unhappy with Disney. Those that say you get what you pay for would probably be content with the Main Street Bakery.

In the end, I agree that it is terrible customer service to change someones flight schedule and not notify them promptly.
    "Everybody wants to be a Cat"

Post Thanks / Like

I cant beleive this in the time it took me to post this they moved my departure flight 2 hours later. Again, no notification!
    They are not required to notify you until 4 weeks out - in case they have to make more itinerary changes.

Airlines are a business - the economy is affecting them just like everyone else.
    Dec 2002, All Star Music (1 yr anniversary)
    Dec 2001, All Star Movies (honeymoon)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    To put the customer service in perspective - assume you had a coveted ADR at CRT for breakfast at 8:00 on your DD birthday. You show up and find out that morning that they have closed CRT becuase it was only 50% full that day and they were not going to make any money at that level. Since you haven't paid anything (let's assume this is the old days when you didn't prepay) you get nothing in return, they do suggest you could go over to the Main Street Bakery to satisy your hunger.

I'm sure those that are unhappy in this thread with the airlines would be equally unhappy with Disney. Those that say you get what you pay for would probably be content with the Main Street Bakery.

In the end, I agree that it is terrible customer service to change someones flight schedule and not notify them promptly.
    This is too unrealistic to even fathom a comparison. How can you compare a breakfast to sky-rocketing fuel costs. Lets make this a more realistic comparison with CRT Breakfast. Imagine that you book CRT Breakfast 180 days out. All of a sudden food shortages spread across the world and the price of a single piece of bread went to $3 and an egg cost $4. On top of this, a union forced the wages of anyone acting as a princess to be $500 per hour. Now, you have a $50 cheap fare breakfast scheduled and other people have a $100 breakfast scheduled with preferred seating. They can only accommodate 20 people for breakfast at most. Are they going to accommodate the 20 people that paid $50 or 10 people that paid $100? Easy, they take the 10 people, only have one princess for 30 minutes, stuff them with the cheapest food they can, and still make a profit.

This is exactly what airlines are doing. They make little or no money off bargain basement passengers. Unfortunately, that is due to their business model. They refuse to change it because they are waiting for the next gov't bail out so the Execs can clear out the liquid assets from their buyout contracts.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree that the economy , price of fuel, etc is causing havoc with most of the poorly managed airlines in this country. I also don't have a problem with them trying their hardest to make changes in their business to limit losses. However would it be that hard to notify a customer if you changed plans? I too was a victim of an airtran change in plans. I cancelled and booked Southwest, got better times and a better price - so I am happy. I just think if the airlines could work on communicating better their image would improve greatly.
    "Everybody wants to be a Cat"

Post Thanks / Like

You fail to see the method to their madness. They are not trying to improve their image. They are trying to operate at such a loss the gov't needs to bail them out. Once done, the execs leave with their golden parachute contracts. If they wanted to improve their image and quality of service, EVERY airline would model after Southwest. Therefore, you have to ask why they don't? It is all about padding the Execs compensation plans.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: