Quantcast What do you do in Nassau?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you do in Nassau?

If you do not go on an excursion, then what do you do in Nassau? I went about 20 years ago with my dad. It seems like we just hung out at the beach at our all inclusive resort. I think one day we went to the straw market?

Any other suggestions? It will be DH, myself, DS9, and DS6.
    Multiple wonderful trips; Next June 2012
    "All it takes is faith and trust...and just a little bit of pixie dust."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out the pirate museum... it's about 2 or 3 blocks away from the straw market and it was a GREAT time!
    Look it up online by searching for 'pirates of nassau'. On Yahoo, it was the first link to come up.
    Enjoy!
    Rob
    WDW Trips - Too many to list due to sig file character count limit! :(

Most Recent Cruise: DCL 7-day Western Caribbean Cruise - 12/29/07 - 01/05/08 - New Year's Eve at Sea! Woo Hoo!

Most Recent WDW Trip: 5-day stay at Old Key West 12/6/12 - 12/10/12

Post Thanks / Like

Unless they've done something with it since I've been there which was about 3 years ago, it was a total waste of money! Very boring, and my DH and kids didn't like it one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by RobWreck View Post
    Check out the pirate museum... it's about 2 or 3 blocks away from the straw market and it was a GREAT time!
    Look it up online by searching for 'pirates of nassau'. On Yahoo, it was the first link to come up.
    Enjoy!
    Rob
    Disneyland Jun 01'
    ASM Jan 04'
    PC Jan 05'
    PC Jan 07'
    PC Jan 08'
    PC Jan 09'
    POR Sept 09'
    Disneyland July 10'
    POR Sept 11'
    Disneyland July 12'
    POR Nov 13'
    Disneyland 14'
    POR Jan 15'
    POR July 17'
    Disneyland July 17'
    Disneyland Paris Mar 19'
    Disneyland July 19'
    PC Sept 19'

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Personally, I didn't find Nassau all that interesting. DW and I decided that if we ever do another 3 or 4 night cruise, we'll likely stay on board the ship while in Nassau and enjoy all the amenities while the majority of the other passengers go ashore.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiggTigg5 View Post
    Personally, I didn't find Nassau all that interesting. DW and I decided that if we ever do another 3 or 4 night cruise, we'll likely stay on board the ship while in Nassau and enjoy all the amenities while the majority of the other passengers go ashore.
    Yes, that's why I posted this. I was considering staying on board as well. I have already been to Nassau, granted things have probably changed a bit since 20 years ago. But my family has never been. I am hoping others will come along and tell me reasons why we should get off the ship.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I did in Nassau was the Blue Lagoon Island Dolphin Encounter. I really enjoyed it, but went straight back to the ship after it and enjoyed everything.
    May '14 -- OKW 1 bdrm
    Dec '13 -- OKW + Off site
    Mar '13 -- Saratoga Springs
    Apr '12 -- Disney Fantasy 7Nt EC
    June '11 --BLT for SWW, July '11 -- OKW
    Dec '10 -- Disney Magic 7 Nt EC/5 nights POFQ
    DVC @ BLT Dec 2010 Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Post Thanks / Like

Nassau to me was boring...and dirty.

Went on a free cruise (courtesy of my former employer) and we had a 1 day stop at Nassau.

Doing research on line made it seem like an ideal place to sight see and shop.

It was not. There are locals nagging you to take horse drawn carriage rides, try to get you to buy beaded necklaces made by homeless kids...and the locals just didn't seem that friendly.

We visited the Pirate Museum which I recommend checking out if you leave the ship...we went to some fort which was maybe 1 stone little tower...not worth it and climbs Victorias stairs...I think there are 88 of them...again...nice to see...not worth the trip to the top.

We went to the straw market....mostly knock offs of designer bags but there were some actual straw bags to buy...

My favorite (ok only real favorite) spot was the Tortuga Rum Cake store....ohhhh yummmmmm.

Depending how long you are in Port, you might want to head over to Atlantis and get a day pass....

Otherwise...stay on the ship....
    [COLOR="Red"]3 trips prior to 2000
    2000-GF
    2003-GF
    2006-BCV & WLV
    2007-WLV & BWV
    2008-CBR & SSR
    2009-WLV, YC & Disney Wonder
    2010-CBR, POLY, SSR & Disney Magic
    2011-ASMu, Disney Dream,SSR, CONTEMP,POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We were just in Nassau on Friday. DH & I got off and shopped on Bay Street for a little while, then took a water taxi over to Paradise Island and ate at a favorite little restaurant of ours called Anthony's Caribbean Grill (right across the street from the Atlantis) and then went back to the ship. That was nice, but we've decided that next time we do a cruise and Nassau is a port, we will just stay on the ship and enjoy all it has to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

What do we do in Nassau? We enjoy seeing it from Deck 9. We've sailed there twice and have yet to get off the ship. If you're going on one of the shorter cruises (3 or 4 nights), it's a nice opportunity to explore a slightly empty ship.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about the Tortuga Rum Cake shop... it is THE reason to go to Nassau... the fresshly made cake they have out as samples is so hard to pass up...
    Wow, my mouth's watering just thinking about it...
    But then again, there's so much good food on the cruise...

Rob
    WDW Trips - Too many to list due to sig file character count limit! :(

Most Recent Cruise: DCL 7-day Western Caribbean Cruise - 12/29/07 - 01/05/08 - New Year's Eve at Sea! Woo Hoo!

Most Recent WDW Trip: 5-day stay at Old Key West 12/6/12 - 12/10/12

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies. I think we have narrowed it down to going on the dolphin encounter or just staying onboard the ship.

I feel like since we have young children I should at least give them the once in a lifetime experience with the dolphins. But, man it is SO expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Tinkerbell Too View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. I think we have narrowed it down to going on the dolphin encounter or just staying onboard the ship.

I feel like since we have young children I should at least give them the once in a lifetime experience with the dolphins. But, man it is SO expensive.
    It is expensive but SO worth it! When we went to the Atlantis several years ago, we took our oldest DD to do it (YDD was an infant and was back @ home w/ the grandparents). It was an AMAZING experience! I highly recommend it. We will be doing it again in March when we go to the Atlantis (YDD's first visit there other than touring it when we were there on DCL).

HTHs!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: