I have never once asked for an upgrade, it's just not my style to ask. That being said, I was upgraded on each of my last 4 trips.

The first one was the best of all. We had just bought our dream home, but well before we even thought about buying it, we had planned a dream vacation at the Beach Club. We went during August, during the free dining promo. When we checked in I was told that our room wasn't ready. I told them we would be by the pool and I would just walk over in an hour or so to see if the room was ready. The CM told me that when I came back to check that I should go over to the concierge desk on the other side of the doors to check on the room. I didn't think anything of it.

Well, when I went back to check an hour later, the CM told me that the room was ready and that when I got onto the elevator that I would need to slide my card into the slot before pressing the 5th floor button. I instantly turned around, smiled at my wife and said, "We were upgraded to conceirge!!!" My very next move, after thanking that CM, was to go over to the check in desk and thank the original CM who I checked in with upon my arrival. She smiled sweetly and said, "Mr. _______ it's the least we could do for such a beautful family!"

So people can be as sour and resentful as they like to folks who recieve complimentary upgrades but for me, that one magical gesture made us feel like the most special people in the world. That my friends, is what it is all about!!

Jay

P.S. For those of you wondering, my other 3 upgrades were when I was down for work conferences at the YC (twice) and the GF (once). I was upgraded to a waterview at the Yacht Club (both times with rooms in the exact same section, 5 rooms apart. 3127 the first time and 3137 the second) overlooking the pier and the Boardwalk. And I was upgraded to a lagoon view at the GF, in the same building, and almost an identical view as where I spent my honeymoon back in 1991.