Quantcast Disney World Without Kids?!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney World Without Kids?!

Has anyone ever gone to WDW without thier children? I have been 31 times, my new wife has never been. we are going for our honeymoon next week. My problem is I have a 10 year old son and I dont know how Im going to not feel guilty not bringing him. Has anyone dealt with this?
    Sao Feng... He's alot like me, absent my merciful nature and sense of fair play.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if this will help or make you feel more guilty! I've been numerous times without kids but the first time we left our daughter behind was the year she started college!

On the other hand, we took the honeymoon we never got (not a Disney trip) when she was about 12. We did feel badly about leaving her behind but also managed to have a fabulous time!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I got married when my (now our) DD was 7. We honeymooned at Disney and didn't take her.

It was a bit of a hard decision, she wanted to come, and there was a part of us that wanted to take her, but in the end we decided that it was our honeymoon, and we deserved and wanted the time alone.

We had a great time! We loved it just being us, and Disney is a great place to honeymoon.

We've been back 3 times since, and taken DD each time. In fact, when we didn't take her for our honeymoon, we promised her a "family anniversary trip" the next year for our first anniversary as a "real" family, which we really enjoyed too.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We've been twice without kids. The first time was when our oldest was 1. Not a big deal other than my wife calling home every hour to check on him. We went this past April without the kids after they came with us in the fall. It was relaxing without them but it was also sad for us not to have them with us. It is all they ever talk about and we felt really guilty leaving them behind. So we decided to go back in november with the whole family. Good luck, try and relax and have fun, its disney and you probably deserve it.
    May 03 OKW Apr 14 BWV
    Apr 04 Pop. Oct 14 BWV
    Apr 06 Riverside
    Dec 08 BWV
    Apr 09 SSR
    Nov 09 BWV
    May 10 BCV
    Nov 10 BWV
    May 12 BCV
    Oct 12 BLT
    Apr 13 BWV
    Jun 13 AKL kidani

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

My DH and I went on our own almost 2 yrs ago, when our DD's were 6 and 9. They stayed with Grandma, and were really good with it -- esp. since they knew we had promised to bring back some goodies.

We had a wonderful time, the parks are so different w/o your children!! Not better, just different. There's no one to have to keep your eye on when you're shopping, you get to ride everything together, you can stay out later and hit some of the restaurants and other places that aren't necessarily geared for kids and we just felt that the whole atmosphere of our trip was different. My DH said he felt like he actually got to talk to me in the parks!!

So, go and have a wonderful time -- yes, you will think of them, esp. when you see kids interacting w/ the characters, but you'll have a great time celebrating your honeymoon together.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I went last November without my sons-ages 9 and 7. To this day, they do not know where I was: they assumed I was in Atlanta visiting my friend. What they don't know won't hurt them! right?!

I know I did not feel guilty when I was there. We all need a little time for ourselves! Not to mention, it is your honeymoon. If you were going anywhere else in the world, you wouldn't feel guilty about leaving him home.

Go, enjoy your honeymoon, do things you have never experienced before at Disney World! Book a couples massage, go wine tasting, do non kid things! JUST HAVE FUN!

Enjoy your wedding!
    All Star Sports-Hurricane Jeanne & Old Key West-2004
    All Star Movie, Old Key West, Coronado Spring-2005
    Wilderness Lodge-Club Level-2007
    All-Star Movies-November 2008
    AKL-Jambo House, Club Level - Feb 2011
    Contemporary Resort-May 2014
    Grand Floridian Resort- November 2015

Post Thanks / Like

My sister and I went in 2004 without any of our kids and they still don't know. I didn't feel guilty at all but still don't plan to tell them until their about 30 . We had a great time and I would definitley do it again if given the opportunity.
    Poly Concierge Jan. 2000 - Poly Concierge Jan. 2004 - Pop Century Nov. 2004 (1 night) - CBR Nov. 2004 - Poly Club Level Jan 2010. Wyndham Bonnet Creek December 2013!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would have a tough time leaving DD's home and going with only DH. Mainly because we treasure family time together and this is one place where it is just us and we really enjoy it. Also, knowing how much DD's love the Disney experience, i think it would break their heart. It may be too, when they head off to college that DH and I will go on a 2nd honeymoon.

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I went two years ago for our 20th wedding anniversary leaving our four boys home with the favorite aunt. We had a great time. You get to see and do things you might not have when you travel with the kids. I would recommend every mom and dad try to go themselves at least once. We still talk about our trip and what a great time we had.

Post Thanks / Like

I honeymooned in Disney before the kids and I went back recently with my husband and left the kids (now teens) at home. I did feel a little guilty, but we had such an amazing time that the feeling passed. The kids were happy to be rid of us and have the house to themselves and they were gracious in recognizing that we needed the time on our own.

As great as it is with kids as a family, it is pretty phenomenal without them. We had such a wonderful time, like we were kids again, kids who could dine at top notch restaurants and drink the occasional alcoholic beverage. You won't regret it. I'm guessing your ten year old has been there, and he will be again. But this is a special occasion, a honeymoon, so go and have fun, no worries.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Just make up your mind... is it a family vacation or a honeymoon? If it's the latter, then leave the kids at home and enjoy being newlyweds - you did the deed, signed the papers, you earned it.
    WDW Trips - Too many to list due to sig file character count limit! :(

Most Recent Cruise: DCL 7-day Western Caribbean Cruise - 12/29/07 - 01/05/08 - New Year's Eve at Sea! Woo Hoo!

Most Recent WDW Trip: 5-day stay at Old Key West 12/6/12 - 12/10/12

Post Thanks / Like

We leave in 24 hours on our first trip without kids and although iv'e been waiting im now getting a little sad and guilty Our kids 7 and 2 will be with my parents but we have only been away from our son for a weekend when he was 6 weeks.we will take them on our pre trip ,trip to disneyland tommorrow like we usually do this time im hoping to poop them out for there first night with grandma.All I can do now is know that me and my DH deserve time alone and enjoy every minute

Stephanie
    Disneyland passholder since 2003

2008 WDW may 6-12 FIRST TRIP!!!
    all star sports

2009 Jan 23-feb 1
    contemporary

<<<next visit>>>
    2009 aug 6-10 No Kids;)
    yacht club ...concierge

Post Thanks / Like

I have been on many family trips with DH and kids, I've been with just my DH and I go each year on my "girls trip". My kids know, they are 22, 21, 18, & 17, and they do not care. They have been many times with me and I have been many times without them. I do not feel guilty for going, although I admit there are times when I am there that I wish they could see this or see that. It would never stop me from going!!

Go and enjoy your honeymoon!!
    Jeri Lynn

Fantasy 9/18 Dream 5/16 Fantasy 9/15 Wonder 10/14 Dream BCV ~ 12/09, BC ~9/18, 12/17 10/15 10/12 11/11 10/10 10/08, 11/07, 9/07, 11/06, 9/06, 12/05, 12/04, 9/04, 9/03, 9/02, 9/01, 12/2000, 9/99
    YC 9/16
    AKL 12/05, 9/05, 11/13
    DXL 9/98
    CBR 9/96
    DXL 5/93
    Off-site 1984, 1908

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much. We've made promises to bring my son back in june '10 so hopefully this will be a good trip lol
    Sao Feng... He's alot like me, absent my merciful nature and sense of fair play.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been to WDW more times without children than with children. We went 3 times before having kids - the first being our honeymoon. then 2 times without the 2.

I felt guilty but, that's what the phone (and grandparents) are for. I called as much as I wanted. We only took 4 day weekends so, it wasn't too long. Plus they were infants/toddlers when we left.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

1) We never felt guilty (when the kids still lived at home).
    2) We always bought them a shirt or hat.
    3) And, sometimes, even airplane peanuts.
    4) We felt that we were entitled to a little pampered time away.
    5) After all, we gave them all the luxuries at home
    . . . clothes
    . . . food
    . . . shelter
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4boysmom View Post
    My husband and I went two years ago for our 20th wedding anniversary leaving our four boys home with the favorite aunt. We had a great time. You get to see and do things you might not have when you travel with the kids. I would recommend every mom and dad try to go themselves at least once. We still talk about our trip and what a great time we had.
    We will be going in Sept. for our 20th wedding anniversary. This will be our first trip without children. Our kids are all fine with it. However, they are older. Our oldest heads off to college in a couple of days, the other 2 are teenagers and we have made arrangements for them to stay with our friends. We felt guilty at first, but we are over that for now.
    jen
    ASM Sept. 2009 for 20th Anniversary
    PORS Oct 2007
    PORS Oct 2005 with Aunt and Uncle
    AKL Oct 2004
    ASSp Oct 2003
    ASM Oct 2002
    Off Prop. Oct 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4boysmom View Post
    we are planning on doing this for our 20th as well. We will all go in December 2010, its hard to work around school schedules anymore with 3 kids in 3 different schools.

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember EVERYTHING is more Magical at Disney! LOL!
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

Post Thanks / Like

We are about to do this at the beginning of Oct. DH and I are sneaking down for a 3 night little trip for a long weekend. Hoping to enjoy the F&W fest. at Epcot. Not telling the kiddies...we feel ok about it since we are taking them down the first week of Dec. for a full week. DH and I are staying at CRS for the first time excited about that. We are taking the kids to AKL so not feeling guilty about it at all...enjoy.
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS