Quantcast Paula Abdul's quitting American Idol/Being Replaced by Ellen DeGeneres - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I think American Idol can only have one judge that folks "love to hate" and that has always been Simon. As much as Paula was always a Pollyana with the contestants, she filled a niche in the judges panel.
    I dont think anyone loves to hate Kara we just all literally hate her! Lol
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

șoș "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" șoș

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Victoria Beckam is the new judge....She can advise them on how to be a snob, I guess, but what the heck does she know about music? The Spice Girls were such a joke.
    Frequent WDW visitor since 1976!
    Laughter is timeless.Imagination has no age.And dreams are forever.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbelle75 View Post
    Apparently Victoria Beckam is the new judge....She can advise them on how to be a snob, I guess, but what the heck does she know about music? The Spice Girls were such a joke.
    Seriously???? Why do they need four judges?

I am absolutely done with this show.

Edited to add note--I just looked this up and Victoria Beckham is signed up as a guest judge, not full-time, thank goodness!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

They had enough trouble last season with running over the time slot each week --- it's better with just three judges.
    --- Brittany

Disneyland annual pass since 1994, but I've never been to Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

That's a bit harsh. VB knows about as much about music as Paula Abdul does. The Spice Girls were a world wide phenomenon ... and their "Return of the Spice Girls" tour was sold out globally. Paula never achieved that as a dancer or singer.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Ummm i agree
    suddenly Paula Abdul should get paid whats shes worth .VB is regarded as an absolute joke in the UK
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER View Post
    Ummm i agree
    suddenly Paula Abdul should get paid whats shes worth .VB is regarded as an absolute joke in the UK
    I can certainly back RAIDER up on that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the article from the Daily Mail UK:

Victoria Beckham lands dream role as new American Idol judge
    By Natalie Trombetta
    Last updated at 1:21 AM on 07th August 2009

American dream: Victoria Beckham will join American Idol as a guest judge
    In the wake of Paula Abdul's surprise exit from American Idol, Simon Cowell has called on a old friend to join him on the judging panel - one Mrs Victoria Beckham.
    The former Spice Girl has so far agreed to make one guest appearance on the show for a rumoured Ł155,000.

Her spokesperson told Mail Online: Yes Victoria will be making a "one off" appearance as a guest judge.'
    The singing contest is still the highest-rating programme in the U.S. drawing an average of 26.3 million viewers per episode, making the role an impressive coup for the former Spice Girl.
    She has been steadily building her profile in the since her move to the U.S. in 2007 but has yet to really make her big break.

Her appointment may come as a surprise to some, considering that even by her own admission she is not a particularly good singer.
    'I worked hard at it,' she recently admitted, but: 'I was never going to be the best singer or dancer.'

A source says Posh is not interested to take over Paula's role permanently.

She is still determined to concentrate on her fashion projects, according to the insider, and is currently working on the upcoming launch of her new collection at New York fashion week in September.

Abdul announced just yesterday that she was leaving the show after eight years.

'With sadness in my heart, I've decided not to return to Idol,' she posted on her Twitter page last night.
    While the TV talent show judge did not expand on her reasons for leaving the programme, she had been lobbying for a significant pay raise during negotiations for a new contract in recent months.
    She was said to be particularly annoyed after hearing reports host Ryan Seacrest had secured a $45 million, 3-year deal, while she was being offered a rumoured $2 to $3million a year.
    Shake up: Paul Abdul (second from left) has quit the show leaving Simon Cowell, Kara DiGuardi and Randy Jackson on the judging panel
    Insiders claim she asked for about $20 million to continue with the show but was offered a total multi-year deal worth $10 million.

Abdul's message continued: 'I'll miss nurturing all the new talent, but most of all being a part of a show that I helped from day one become an international phenomenon.'
    'What I want to say most, is how much I appreciate the undying support and enormous love that you have showered upon me.

'It truly has been breathtaking, especially over the past month.'

The rest of the judging panel, which includes Randy Jackson, Kara DiGuardi, and of course Cowell, will all appear on the next series.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    That's a bit harsh. VB knows about as much about music as Paula Abdul does. The Spice Girls were a world wide phenomenon ... and their "Return of the Spice Girls" tour was sold out globally. Paula never achieved that as a dancer or singer.
    Neither one of them knows a thing about music.

Being a world wide phenom equates to absolutely nothing as far as knowledge or talent goes.

Bay City Rollers in their day anyone? Menudo? The Jonas Brothers?

Post Thanks / Like

I have never understood why Paula Abdul was a judge for a singing contest anyway. She was a dancer who had enough connections in the music business to make some albums and then her very voice was heavily produced.

As much as I may not care for Kara's manner of speaking or facial expressions, she is one of the most in demand songwriters by the hottest pop stars of the moment(and that was before American Idol), plus she proved that she can actually sing too when she went up against bikini girl. When she speaks I feel like she actually knows what she's talking about and, between her and Simon, I think the show will focus more on talent that just a popularity contest. Atleast that's what I'm hoping.
    Jenn

1974 * 1985 * 1993 * 1997 * 1997 * 2000 * 2002 * 2004 * 2005
    Oct 06 CBR/AKL
    Dec 06 ASM
    Oct 07 POP
    June 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 SSR
    Jan 09 SSR
    May/June 09 BCV/AKV
    Aug 09 AKV
    Oct 09 AKV
    Christmas 09 BLT
    May/June 2011 CBR
    May/June 2012 AKV

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed Paula's antics and I do think she genuinely cared for the contestants. If I had to lose a judge I would rather it have been Kara or Randy. I think Kara was a total waste of space. I mean she got actual music facts wrong and contradicted herself all the time. However I think it could be interesting to have guest judges like Posh or Katy Perry to change things up a bit.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is she is going to regret quitting this show when she has no money left and no one else will hire her. Give me over one million to sit on my butt and critique singers, I'll be there in a heart beat!

Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post
    All I can say is she is going to regret quitting this show when she has no money left and no one else will hire her. Give me over one million to sit on my butt and critique singers, I'll be there in a heart beat!

I would go for alot less! I am literally broke.
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

șoș "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Saw that ABC has invited her to be a judge on So You Think You Can Dance ( Much better fit, I think!):

From the Live Feed website:
    August 08, 2009
    ABC: We want Paula Abdul on 'Dancing'
    ABC entertainment president Steve McPherson says he wants Paula Abdul on the network's top-rated reality hit "Dancing with the Stars."

"Absolutely," he told TV critics at their summer press tour in Pasadena when asked if he was interested in having the former "American Idol" judge on the show.

"We would love to have her on 'Dancing' whether its as a contestant, or a participant, judge, etc.," McPherson said. "I was a little stunned by the decision. I think she's a huge talent. There’s a lot made about who she is. There's a sensitivity and emotion in her that balances out 'Idol' and we'd love to get a piece of that. It would be great.

Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance" executive producer and judge Nigel Lythgoe has also extended an offer to Abdul, but only as a guest judge since the show already has three permanent judges.

When a critic pointed out to McPherson after the panel that "Dancing" has a seemingly full judges table as well, McPherson reminded the critic that the network has not yet made any formal plans regarding Abdul, though noted "all possibilities are open."

McPherson said he called Abdul after he heard about her decision to leave "Idol" ("she sounded great," he said) and plans to speak with her further about potential opportunities at ABC.

Like with Lythgoe's offer, the question becomes whether ABC seriously wants Abdul full time on the program, or is merely seeking a temporary ratings-boosting stunt. Though Abdul worked as a choreographer, the ABC show is about ballroom dancing -- a distinction that likely would matter to hardcore "Dancing" fans, though probably not to most viewers. Also, it's tough to imagine ABC being able to meet or exceed the offer Abdul rejected from Fox (roughly $5 million per year).

Though one would be foolish to try and predict what the oft-unpredictable Abdul might do, the proclamation does raise the odds that Abdul will return to broadcast in some form next season -- either on "Dancing," or back on "Idol" should Fox decide not to risk letting the No. 2 reality show on TV hire its former judge.

The stakes could be significant. Last spring, the "Dancing" premiere featuring Melissa Rycroft actually rivaled an episode of "Idol" for the first time in total viewers, though "Idol" quickly widened the margin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanetMegan View Post
    I also much prefer Paula's funny stuff to Kara, ick.
    I feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I enjoyed Paula's antics and I do think she genuinely cared for the contestants. If I had to lose a judge I would rather it have been Kara or Randy. I think Kara was a total waste of space. I mean she got actual music facts wrong and contradicted herself all the time. However I think it could be interesting to have guest judges like Posh or Katy Perry to change things up a bit.
    Paula always made the show interesting. I still like all the original judges. I wouldn't want to see any of them go. The guest judges are interesting, but I don't think having 4 judges really works away. In the beginning of the show there are too many contestants to comment on, and not enough time. I can see maybe maybe adding guest judges when they get down to top 10 or less.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

You know, the more I think about this, the more it seems to me that adding Kara last season was a strategic move on the producers part. With one more year left on Paula's contract (at that time), they had to know that she would be maneuvering for more money. So all that talk back then that Kara had not been hired to replace Paula was all baloney, IMO.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

From People.com

Ellen DeGeneres Replacing Paula Abdul on Idol

Ellen DeGeneres is taking Paula Abdul's place as the fourth judge on American Idol.

"I'm going to have a day job and a night job," DeGeneres says on her program airing Thursday, assuring her audience that she's not leaving her talk show. "This is so exciting for me."

--------------------------------------------------------

??????????????

HUH?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... I like ellen... but this could be the moment for Idol.... We shall see.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Ellen too, but this is a strange fit, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

What the heck?
    --- Brittany

Disneyland annual pass since 1994, but I've never been to Disney World

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: