Quantcast What's your favorite WDW planning book?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's your favorite WDW planning book?

We always buy Birnbaums before a trip. What's your favorite (if you buy one) and why?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I don't use a guide book anymore as much of the information is outdated by the time it goes to print. IMO, the best place to get information is right here on INTERCOT (and I'm not just saying that because I'm on staff!)
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We have been so many times that we don't
    even need a map anymore. We just pick up a
    times guide as we enter the parks. I have had
    friends buy the books then come to me for
    advice. They have told me that I help more than
    the books. I love helping.
    FIRST TRIP 1972
    LAST TRIP MARCH 2009
    NEXT TRIP NOVEMBER 2009
    SPRING IN THE PLANNING STAGES 2010
    AND MANY TRIPS IN BETWEEN
    º0º

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, there was so much that I found out here on Intercot before our last trip, that was nowhere to be found in the books!

Post Thanks / Like

I love The Complete Walt Disney World by Julie Neal. But honestly I don't use it as a guide book. It's more of a tool to get a small Disney fix between trips. It has gorgeous pics and lots of trivia about the attractions. Don't get me wrong, it has lots of great tips and info, but after you've been 20+ times you've pretty much got it figured out. Plus I have Intercot!
    Jenn

1974 * 1985 * 1993 * 1997 * 1997 * 2000 * 2002 * 2004 * 2005
    Oct 06 CBR/AKL
    Dec 06 ASM
    Oct 07 POP
    June 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 SSR
    Jan 09 SSR
    May/June 09 BCV/AKV
    Aug 09 AKV
    Oct 09 AKV
    Christmas 09 BLT
    May/June 2011 CBR
    May/June 2012 AKV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeTink View Post
    I love The Complete Walt Disney World by Julie Neal. But honestly I don't use it as a guide book. It's more of a tool to get a small Disney fix between trips. It has gorgeous pics and lots of trivia about the attractions. Don't get me wrong, it has lots of great tips and info, but after you've been 20+ times you've pretty much got it figured out. Plus I have Intercot!
    I second this, but I use it to quickly look up things without getting online. The 2009 edition is about as up to date as a book can get.

The book I do not like is the Unofficial Guide. I bought the Disneyland book in an airport. It has some good information, but the writing style makes it sound like everyone is foolish for going. Not the tone I want when I'm planning a vacation.
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used a guide book in years. I used to buy Birnbaums but as more of a keepsake than a planning tool. With all the information available here on Intercot and the ability to ask sepcific questions that suit your needs I am surprised there is still a market for guide books at all.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I haven't used a guide book in years. I used to buy Birnbaums but as more of a keepsake than a planning tool. With all the information available here on Intercot and the ability to ask sepcific questions that suit your needs I am surprised there is still a market for guide books at all.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Passporter

We bought the Passporter's Walt Disney World journal for our most recent trip and loved it! It is very interactive- there are places to write all of you reservation info, budget planning, and our favorite: trip memories! Before we left for WDW, we wrote in our daily plans, and each night, we went to the flip page of each day, and wrote in the best and worst part of each day, what we did, how the weather was, etc. Now it is so much fun to look back on and remember little things that happened! It also has lots of info on all of the different lodges, food, parks, etc. I highly recommend it!
    Disney dreaming in progress....

April 2016- Polynesian!

May 2014- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

August 2010- Polynesian!

May 2009- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

July 2008- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I bought a book last time only because it gave me that feeling that the trip is really going to happen. Just for kicks, I got some of the other guidebooks through the library to see what they were like. I remember one had an awful layout and was basically unreadable. But, one of them had Intercot listed and that's how I ended up here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsita View Post
    We bought the Passporter's Walt Disney World journal for our most recent trip and loved it! It is very interactive- there are places to write all of you reservation info, budget planning, and our favorite: trip memories! Before we left for WDW, we wrote in our daily plans, and each night, we went to the flip page of each day, and wrote in the best and worst part of each day, what we did, how the weather was, etc. Now it is so much fun to look back on and remember little things that happened! It also has lots of info on all of the different lodges, food, parks, etc. I highly recommend it!
    I agree totally...while I really don't "need" a guide book, I love the Passporter for all the little things that help me organize my trip...especially the pockets. It was so handy to have one central place to put my receipts each day, and there are spots to write notes about your experiences. It's a great keepsake for remembering your trip and I plan to take one every time I go.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I don't need a guide book anymore but it is nice to get to build anticipation for the trip.

We usually get the Passporter as a keepsake for the trip. We write in the book what we did a keep some information in there.

The Unofficial Guide I have from 2004 is crazy. I think it is PACKED with information. However, they print letters from people who act like some of the things at Disney have never been seen before. I have read notes about Kali River Rapids and how you get just too wet on that and they had better advise their readers about this. Or, "'It's Tough To Be a Bug' is not for children. I took my children there and they got so scared they didn't want to tour the parks for the rest of the day. How could Disney create something that would scare children." It almost reads like a comedy book and it would be even funnier if it wasn't so sad that it is real people writing those notes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    The Unofficial Guide I have from 2004 is crazy. I think it is PACKED with information. However, they print letters from people who act like some of the things at Disney have never been seen before. I have read notes about Kali River Rapids and how you get just too wet on that and they had better advise their readers about this. Or, "'It's Tough To Be a Bug' is not for children. I took my children there and they got so scared they didn't want to tour the parks for the rest of the day. How could Disney create something that would scare children." It almost reads like a comedy book and it would be even funnier if it wasn't so sad that it is real people writing those notes.
    The crazy letters are the very reason we enjoy the unofficial guide...for whatever reason I get a good deal of amusement "listening" to the people who freak out and ask questions like "why does disney have to try so hard to terrify children" when talking about the snow white ride.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tygger7 View Post
    I agree totally...while I really don't "need" a guide book, I love the Passporter for all the little things that help me organize my trip...especially the pockets. It was so handy to have one central place to put my receipts each day, and there are spots to write notes about your experiences. It's a great keepsake for remembering your trip and I plan to take one every time I go.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used a guide book in years. I used to buy Birnbaums but as more of a keepsake than a planning tool. W
    I did the same ... It became more of a tradition as a trip was getting close.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

DOUBLE Maybe for folks that don't know about INTERCOT?
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeTink View Post
    I fell in love with this book last year, and was on my to loving the 2009 version when I got to one little line in the book that ruined it for me.

In the "Accommodations" section, she says, "Typically, the Value resorts crowd includes guests who clearly can't afford to be there".

That really turned me off. How in the world can one tell if someone can or cannot afford to be at WDW? Did they look homeless? Did they turn their empty pockets out? Did they loudly proclaim that they were broke? I mean, what the heck? It sounded so elitist. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive.
    1st Trip: 1987 (Off-site)
    2nd Trip: Nov 2003 (All Star Movies)
    Next Trip: Sep 9-15, 2012 (Art of Animation)

Post Thanks / Like

While Intercot is always my first source , I love The Unofficial Guide. It not a book I read cover to cover but it is very useful as a reference work. I am a big fan of it.
    '74 Contemporary
    '76 Contemporary

'90 CBR
    '97 Off Site
    '00 Swan
    '05 GF
    '08 GF RPC
    '09 GF RPC-Short SURPRISE trip for kids
    '11 GF RPC

'12 Contemporary
    '14 GF RPC
    '15 DL VGC
    '16 VGF

Post Thanks / Like

I bought it the last few years mostly out of habit but found alot of incorrect or outdated info in there. Last year I also bought The Complete Walt Disney World 2009 and loved it. I am waiting for the 2010 version.
    anyone know when it will be out?
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Unofficial Guide, because it includes access to their on-line crowd calendar.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: