Quantcast The Yeti: FIXED AT LAST!! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    As stated earlier in this thread, the problems have been identified, and a repair plan is in place. The attraction will be closed for three days in October while the yeti is restored to "A mode" operation.
    From the sounds of it, more like a "A- mode"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    I disagree. I would be willing to bet, they know what caused the problem. However, fixing it is a whole other issue. Because of the way the mountain is designed, they can't just pull the Yeti out, and then fix the problem.

If it's a foundation issue, I would venture to guess, that the mountain is okay because the weight is spread out over a large area. However, the Yeti, since it's on a separate foundation and resides independently within the mountain, is exerting a whole lot of force onto a much smaller foundation/pad, which may not have been engineered for such force. That's just a guess, but it seems reasonable.

Yes, that does seem reasonable. I was saying that they didn't know what happened AT ALL, I just think that if Disney knew EXACTLY what caused the problem with the Yeti in the first place that it would have been fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

As stated earlier in this thread, the problems have been identified, and a repair plan is in place. The attraction will be closed for three days in October while the yeti is restored to "A mode" operation.
    I now stand corrected, heh, didn't take the time to venture up the thread and see that post.

Post Thanks / Like

The original "A" mode was with the Yeti moving and reaching out to grab at the passing trains. Apparently, more than a year ago, it was discovered, that the foundation on which the Yeti was placed on was being stressed in some way by the Yeti's normal movements. So, the operations/maintenance crew at AK devised a new mode ("B"), where the Yeti would be positioned into a menacing pose, then strobe lights would be used to give the impression of movement and it would not cause any more damage to the foundation.
    Well, based on what I saw last week, they've cut most of the strobes to save on electricity. I saw some red glowing eyes, and a brief flash of the face - but didn't really get any sensation of movement and where the Yeti was didn't have any other illumination.

So what's that mode - C minus?

BTW, does AK feel cramped to anyone else? For some reason, all the roads and paths in that park feel almost claustrophobic to me...
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Aug '73, Mar '82, Sep '97 - Before Mr. Boo..
    Feb '02 - With Mr. Boo, age 4
    Oct '03 - POR! Forget the sun, let it RAIN!
    In 2009? March for a day - EPCOT! July - Ft. Wilderness!
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness
    Nov 2021 Ft Wilderness again!
    Nov 2023 Ft Wilderness, here we come!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jll3Sonex View Post
    BTW, does AK feel cramped to anyone else? For some reason, all the roads and paths in that park feel almost claustrophobic to me...
    I think the landscaping is finally coming in the way it was intended. At first, AK was pretty sparsely planted and a lot of it was getting trampled as well. Seems it's finally growing in, and they might need to start pruning a little bit back.

What scares me is that it turns into that they did at MK by removing all the big trees at both ends of main street. That is/was a travesty!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I think the landscaping is finally coming in the way it was intended. At first, AK was pretty sparsely planted and a lot of it was getting trampled as well. Seems it's finally growing in, and they might need to start pruning a little bit back.

What scares me is that it turns into that they did at MK by removing all the big trees at both ends of main street. That is/was a travesty!
    I don't know about the paths being nicely done though. I was there less than a month ago and felt like everyone was pushed right up against each other on the path's. I don't know. Maybe that's just me, but it does feel cramped in AK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antngoof89 View Post
    I don't know about the paths being nicely done though. I was there less than a month ago and felt like everyone was pushed right up against each other on the path's. I don't know. Maybe that's just me, but it does feel cramped in AK.
    Yeah, that's the way I was feeling, like the paths simply weren't wide enough. Maybe if the volume of people were less, it'd be better - but as it was, I'm not terribly inclined to go back to AK.
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antngoof89 View Post
    I think that was how it was supposed to feel, as it is simulating paths through a rain forest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    I think that was how it was supposed to feel, as it is simulating paths through a rain forest.
    Exactly the paths are suppose to wander through the park and be narrow to add to the exploration feel of the park. All of this was carefully planned by the imagineers.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Exactly the paths are suppose to wander through the park and be narrow to add to the exploration feel of the park. All of this was carefully planned by the imagineers.
    Well, I'm sure it was a good idea in principle - and would likely work well when the park isn't crowded. Actually, when it's near-empty...

(Yeah, like THAT'S a regular occurance during the course of the day. )

But when it IS crowded, as on a normal day - it's annoying. It doesn't add to the exporation feel at all, it feels like a constant rush hour. I don't like that.

Ah, well. Still got the other three parks, and all the wonders thereof!
    July '66, Disneyland.
    Nov 2020 Ft. Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big Disney fan and I usually take nitpicking with a grain of salt, but to design this massive attraction in a way that doesn't allow for repairs without significantly dismantling the mountain seems like a terrible decision/miscalculation. I mean did they really expect that nothing would ever go wrong with the Yeti?

Kind of a bummer as I haven't been in years and whenever we do make it back, it sounds like the Yeti might never be operating in his originally intended manner.
    1988 - Off site
    1997 - Off site
    1999 - Off site

2002 - All Star Movies
    2003 - 3 Day Disney Cruise & Port Orleans Riverside
    Next trip - Sometime in 2013

Post Thanks / Like

So, should we call this "C" mode? Or, maybe "a" (lowercase) mode, or "A2"?
    1) How about "A-" or "B+".
    2) Definitely not the original motions.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jll3Sonex View Post
    Well, I'm sure it was a good idea in principle - and would likely work well when the park isn't crowded. Actually, when it's near-empty...

But when it IS crowded, as on a normal day - it's annoying. It doesn't add to the exporation feel at all, it feels like a constant rush hour. I don't like that.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

What days in October is it scheduled to be down?
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I honestly don't think taking the ride down for 3 days to do a repair on the Yeti figure counts as a major dismantling of the mountain.

I've had my car in the shop for longer than that, and it's not as complicated as an animatronic figure.

3 days to make the repair seems fast to me.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't they just remove the animatronic yeti and put two guys in a yeti costume to take its place?

Problem solved!

JK
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Having said all that, I can reveal that a repair plan is in the works. The attraction will be closed for three days in October. After that the yeti will again be in motion. The arm will swipe at passing trains as before, but the upper body will not lean out as far as it did previously. This will avoid further stress and damage to the foundation, but will still provide a realistic encounter with an "A mode" yeti.
    You don't happed to know WHICH three days in October, do you? I hope not the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    Why don't they just remove the animatronic yeti and put two guys in a yeti costume to take its place?

Problem solved!

JK
    And one of those guys could have a rifle, and give everyone a thumbs up to let us know that Little Red is okay!
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hows the Yeti?

Just came across the thread and was wondering if the Yeti is fixed? And how does it look?
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like progress! I wonder if they will ever get the Yeti back to full operation?
    DVC Members since 2006!
    Home Resorts SSR and AKV!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: