Quantcast Suspicious device found under Disney bus - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

my friend just came home today...she said it was really scary
    I'm glad that they caught it though and handled it in the best manner possible.
    I can't even think about something like this happening at Walt Disney World. It makes me sick to my stomach. I was shaking when I heard this info from my friend.....
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at EPCOT yesterday and guests didn't know at all what was going on. There was an overhead announcement made around 5:30ish that bus service was temporarily suspended and would be running again in 45 minutes. We thought it was real strange. Thankfully the delay didn't affect us because we were traveling by monorail.
    Past Disney Trips
    multiple times as a child all off site.
    CBR x2 as a teenager
    2004 Sept. -offsite first trip with DH and DD
    2006 May- POFQ -Grand Gatherings with the whole fam.
    2007 Dec- POFQ -with the inlaws
    2008 Dec -CSR
    2009 Sept- OKW
    2010 CSR

Post Thanks / Like

We were there yesterday and already by the pool at the Poly when all of this happened. (We were at Animal Kingdom at 8:00 for B'Fast and were done touring by 3:30). While by the pool, I heard a man talking about it on his cell phone. We had no idea anything was going on. I saw it on the news first thing this morning.
    It seems so strange to me that we were right there in WDW and didn't even know anything about it because we didn't need any transportation.
    Don't need to watch where I'm going, just need to know where I've been--Mater

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marlaine View Post
    We were there yesterday and already by the pool at the Poly when all of this happened. (We were at Animal Kingdom at 8:00 for B'Fast and were done touring by 3:30). While by the pool, I heard a man talking about it on his cell phone. We had no idea anything was going on. I saw it on the news first thing this morning.
    It seems so strange to me that we were right there in WDW and didn't even know anything about it because we didn't need any transportation.
    Actually I'm not surprised that some people who were there did not notice. When you really think about it WDW is really the size of a City. And when you think of it that when something bad happens in Chicago's West Side it doesn't always affect the North Side. I know this is an over generalization...but you get my point.

I'm just glad no one was hurt and that WDW CM's and law enforcement are doing their jobs and looking out for us vacationers.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink1 View Post

The Orange County sheriff's bomb squad is at Walt Disney World now investigating a suspicious device found underneath a Disney bus, authorities confirmed.

Bus operations have been suspended, but taxi service has been expanded, a Disney spokeswoman said.

We just got back and were at Epcot when this happened. I got a phone message from the resort GM apologizing for any delays, but we'd used the monorail all day so it didn't affect us at all. My mom saw it on the news the next day.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marlaine View Post
    We were in the world July 4th -- we had similar circumstances with the monorail accident. It seems that there should be some way to better communicate to the guests.

Thanks
    Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Perhaps this was a drill/test to see how they would respond.
    Doubtful. I don't think they would have done something with this kind of impact on guest service.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joy2theworld View Post
    I have to admit this scares me. We leave next week and well, I hate to say it, but part of me would rather stay home.

If its your day, its your day
    Aint nothing gonna change that fact and it
    doenst matter if your in a plane 35,000 feet above Missouri, riding the monorail or sitting on your couch watching Seinfeld re-runs.
    We are Siamese if you please

Contemporary Hotel Nov 1971
    Fort Wilderness 1974 & 75 (Ithink)
    Senior Trip 1983 off site
    Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter Feb '09
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Post Thanks / Like

Related personal story: I recall leaving MK one night during the post-Wishes cattle-drive down Main Street. There were some WDW security folks guiding the crowd's path away from a particluar storefront (sort of forming a large human perimeter onto the sidewalk & street)). We thought it was just some VIP exiting the store, but when we looked back we saw what looked like a special ops dude approach a backpack leaning against the store, with a flashlight. I'm not sure if this guy was an actual police bomb-squad rep, but he sure didn't look like the WDW 'mall-cops' clearing the way. Must have been a false alarm because we never heard any news on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

The device still hasn't been publicly identified, but the sheriff's office keeps emphasizing that it was "neither explosive nor hazardous". Some sources say it was some type of electronic transponder and that it may have even been installed by the bus manufacturer to track data on how the bus is used. That remains to be verified.

All in all, I have to say that I am pretty impressed with how WDW handled the entire situation. Once a possible problem was identified, they quickly made the correct decision to do an immediate inspection of the entire bus fleet - - no small task given the size of their fleet. The buses were all inspected and back on their routes in a relatively short time.

It shows me that WDW is well prepared for such situations.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

While I think Disney did an extremely good job reacting to the bus shutdown by paying cab fares and extending park hours, I personally feel like suspending all bus service was an over-reaction. I suspect that it didn't take very long to determine that this device was not explosive, and I would be willing to bet they knew it wasn't explosive before they even had time to ground all the buses to a halt. I can't imagine being the parent of a two small children knocking on cab doors looking for a cab with two car seats in the trunk.

But that is just my
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    While I think Disney did an extremely good job reacting to the bus shutdown by paying cab fares and extending park hours, I personally feel like suspending all bus service was an over-reaction. I suspect that it didn't take very long to determine that this device was not explosive, and I would be willing to bet they knew it wasn't explosive before they even had time to ground all the buses to a halt. I can't imagine being the parent of a two small children knocking on cab doors looking for a cab with two car seats in the trunk.

But that is just my
    I strongly disagree.

It took the bomb squad over four hours to remove the object from the bus and transport it by using a robot to a safe location where it could be analyzed; that's when it was determined not to be explosive or hazardous. A lot can happen in four hours. Disney did the only logical and smart thing by taking the fleet out of service for a quick inspection. If a real destructive device had been planted on this one bus, it stands to reason that the same thing could have been put on other buses.

Just imagine the immense liability if they had failed to do so and something happened with a different bus loaded with guests! The old adage "better safe than sorry" definitely applies in this case.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I strongly disagree.

It took the bomb squad over four hours to remove the object from the bus and transport it by using a robot to a safe location where it could be analyzed; that's when it was determined not to be explosive or hazardous. A lot can happen in four hours. Disney did the only logical and smart thing by taking the fleet out of service for a quick inspection. If a real destructive device had been planted on this one bus, it stands to reason that the same thing could have been put on other buses.

Just imagine the immense liability if they had failed to do so and something happened with a different bus loaded with guests! The old adage "better safe than sorry" definitely applies in this case.
    I completely agree. My first thought was - ok, this one's not hazardous but is it the decoy? Yes, I would rather be safe and inconvenienced.

Remember what "only" four out of how many airplanes were able to do in less than an hour?

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

MYSTERY SOLVED !!!

Disney says suspicious device found on bus was tire-pressure monitor

Jason Garcia
    Sentinel Staff Writer

7:10 PM EDT, September 21, 2009

The mysterious object found mounted on a Walt Disney World bus last week -- prompting the giant resort to temporarily shut down all bus service until the other vehicles were searched -- was a newly designed tire-pressure monitor, Disney said Monday evening.

Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger said the device was a prototype that had been installed on a single bus to monitor tire pressure with wireless technology. Tire pressure can affect the fuel efficiency of a vehicle.

The device set off a mini-scare Thursday, when it was discovered by a maintenance crew that was unfamiliar with it. They reported a suspicious object to the Orange County Sheriff's Office, which called out a bomb squad to investigate.

Disney, meanwhile, opted to pull its entire bus fleet out of service until each of the roughly 300 vehicles was inspected. Thousands of Disney World visitors were stranded for a few hours while the buses were searched.

Finger said Disney made the decision to temporarily shut down its bus service before the mystery object was identified "out of an abundance of caution."

CASE CLOSED.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

um why wouldn't the bus company come forward to the bomb squad right away and tell them that a bus had the monitoring system on it?
    or at least identify the object immediately for them....
    That just sounds ridiculous to me!
    First Trip '77
    DVC mem '04

Post Thanks / Like

CASE CLOSED.
    Glad to hear it was all pretty benign.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    um why wouldn't the bus company come forward to the bomb squad right away and tell them that a bus had the monitoring system on it?
    And maybe this is another reason with their is a new VP of Transportation. Communication is key...
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    I'm with you on that! Talk about one hand not knowing what the other is doing. Jeez.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

No I'm thinking more along the lines of Disney is sugar coating the information....
    I know from Disney execs in July had said that Disney was going to start really feeling the economy starting in September. Something like this would have really really hurt them financially.
    If they were "testing" a new tire gauge on the buses...only one bus was given this new device? Seriously Disney not everyone is as dumb as you think.....
    There has been an increase in the visual of security for a reason......and as to not have guests panic and/or cancel trips they HAVE to say this......
    I know I wouldn't cancel my trip to Disney but at least I would be a little bit more aware of my surroundings...(although I already am...I live in the tri state area) I just wish that Disney would tell us the truth....and I have a HUGE feeling that they are not. (and I am a past cast member-so I know for a fact that they sugar coat things....-they are Disney they are allowed to and are able to. (except now they have to report deaths....)-but if you even remember about that they didn't have to before.....
    Did you honestly think that if it was something that they would have told us that? I know all about Disney magic and this is definitely one of those spread only pixie dust times
    I still love them of course but I hope others see right through this.....and not take it for anything less......
    They are however doing really well handling the situations at best. I am very pleased as to how all buses were called off the road. I am aware that they know how to handle a situation like this and it makes me feel better knowing that they are prepared and that they have the security to help keep us safe while enjoying the happiest place on earth
    They have also done a wonderful job of keeping this out of the news (except in Florida) and of course keeping it away from the guests. I know that my sister in law was there with her family and had no idea that this was even going on. (they had their own car). So again Disney gets an A+ for not having panic spread.... but still I don't believe the results of this situation for one minute.....
    First Trip '77
    DVC mem '04

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that too had crossed my mind, more so because of the increased mass transit alerts in our area announced today but I thought I was becoming paranoid.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: