Quantcast Is one day at WDW worth $1000? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

i think it's kind of crazy. i'm going down for nye, dec 30 to jan 4. we are staying at pop, got the counter service dining plan, 5 day park hopper and plane tickets and it's costing about $900 per person. can't you go for a longer stay? you don't have to get her park tix since she's under 3 and you can get the counter service dining plan for you and your husband and share the food with her. i'm sure it's the short trip on the plane tix that's throwing the cost over the edge. if you're going to go, make it count and go for a few days. she won't remember if she's there ON her actual birthday.
    Disney World
    May 1995 - Off Site
    January 1998 - Off Site
    January 2001 - Off Site
    July 2001 - Off Site
    August - September 2005 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    September 2006 - Pop Century
    December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    New Year's 2010 - POP
    May 2010 - Caribbean Beach

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was, quite honestly, JUST pricing a weekend for my DS's 14th birthday in May. Since he's in school, I refuse to take more than 1 school day for a pleasure trip so that relegates us to just a weekend. I could spend $1,000 for 2-3 nights in May or I could spend $1,500-$1,700 for 7 nights in August. We'll wait.

As a pp replied - unless you have money to burn (I'm taking donations if you do ), 1 night just isn't worth $1,000 IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering that for us-three adults, two children, and one infant- the cost is $2500 for 11 days, ten nights (we're driving), I'd have to say that $1,000 is too much for one day!

You know your family's budget best, but for me, honestly, I'd have to be a millionaire at least before I would consider spending $1,000 on just one day of vacation. Is there anything else you can do that is Disney-esque instead, that's closer to home and less expensive? Especially considering that your DD won't remember this trip.

Next up: November 2014
    DH, DS12, DS11, DD4, DD3, and me- along with my two sisters and their hubbies, ten nieces and nephews, my parents and MIL! As my youngest girlie says, "Yee-HAW!"

Post Thanks / Like

My first impulse was...Don't do it...Even if you can afford it, Murhpy's Law will be lurking...Weather, colds, bad sushi...so many things could go wrong!....But as I glance around our home, there are pictures everywhere of us, our kids, and their kids, enjoying WDW and especially Character Meals....And I have seen parents blow $500 or more for Birthday Parties....even for toddlers...If you decide to go, get trip insurance, and consider making an ADR at Chef Mickey's the first evening....Or 1900 Park Faire....Order a Birthday Cake....Enjoy....Lots of Disney Trips, 4 BA's, 7 wonderful grandkids....Lots of memories, and wonderful images....I don't regret a second of the time, nor a penny of the money that we shared with our family....Wish I had more....Wish me luck.....I have powerball tickets for tomorrow!
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

I think there are other things to consider in addition to the money. While $1k is a lot, I know many people who spend loads of money on a children's birthday party, so this could in lieu of that.

I would be more worried about the flights getting delayed or bad weather. Many years ago we went to Disney for a weekend - left Friday evening returned Sunday evening. It was DH, DD 21 months, and myself 7 months pregnant. This was a company trip - my company took all the employees and their families from the NY office. So most of it was paid for, we just had to cover a couple of meals and souvenirs. We were delayed by several hours on the flight down and didn't get to our hotel until 1:00AM. Needless to say we were all exhausted the next day. There were problems again coming home Sunday night. Fortunately the flight we were on did get out, but we didn't get in until after midnight and still had an hour drive to our house. Several people from our office were on another flight and it didn't get out at all, they didn't make it back to NY until Monday afternoon! What I took away from this experience was that the thought was wonderful, but this was way too much to fit into a weekend trip. If small children weren't involved it would be another story.

I would pick a time when you can go for a longer period and make it a real vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disney obsessed View Post
    GO!
    I do not understand the responses of the other folks here but my opinion is that you only live once. Some of my most treasured memories are of the trips I took with the kids that they barely or don't remember. The awe on their faces is worth it all. She will not remember it but you will.
    I have done this and left early one day, had the rest of that day, the second whole day and then leave late on the third. There is so much more to do than the parks.
    If you can afford it. Do it.

I think most of us responded like that if this short trip would eliminate a longer one down the road!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another

If you think you may not have another chance to go in the foreseeable future, i.e. this is your one and only chance to go that you can foresee, then go for it now.

On the other hand, if you think you'll be able to go again in a year or two, I'd save the $1,000 and put it toward a much longer trip a year or two down the road. You'll get much more out of it that way.

But, if money is no object or concern, then go as often as you want. Most of us can't choose that option.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I am definately one for living in the moment and making memories but its not worth it for 1 day. If money is no object and you are planning a future visit then do it but otherwise, take that money and in a couple of months book the flights(which will probably be so much cheaper than what you are looking at right now) for next year and then plan a birthday she will truly never forget with all the bells and whistles possible at Disney.
    If you can dream it, you can do it ...Horizons
    **Been there, done that at Disney!!!**
    Next Trip:
    Post Mother's Day trip May 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by disney obsessed View Post
    GO!
    I do not understand the responses of the other folks here but my opinion is that you only live once. Some of my most treasured memories are of the trips I took with the kids that they barely or don't remember. The awe on their faces is worth it all. She will not remember it but you will.
    I have done this and left early one day, had the rest of that day, the second whole day and then leave late on the third. There is so much more to do than the parks.
    If you can afford it. Do it.

Seriously, though ... we routintely spend $500 or $600 on our kids' birthday parties at home anyway ... what's an extra couple hundred bucks to do it right in Disney World??? GO FOR IT!!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Ian. Birthday parties at home aren't cheap either. If you can do it, why not?? If its going to compromise your finances then of course the answer should be no. Life is short, this would be exciting and a wonderful memory for you. As I said, if you can do it, and not miss the $1,000, I'd go for it.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

If you can spare the extra money................

I say GO FOR IT!!!

As others mentioned, life is too short, go and have a great time.
    "Why Worry? If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it better." WD

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    If its going to compromise your finances then of course the answer should be no ... As I said, if you can do it, and not miss the $1,000, I'd go for it.
    Yeah, I got carried away with my dittos there, so I forgot to mention ... I pre-assumed that your finances were such that this was doable for you with no negative repercussions.

I kinda didn't think you'd be asking if you were going to have to miss the mortgage payment to go!
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

We are going for 10 days in Dec our flights are for the 2 of us 290.00 RT Hotel and tickets are about $1400.00 with free dining so a trip for 10 days $1700.00 thats only 700 more than you are going to pay and we get 10 days!!!! I say wait, but I bet you are like me just want to go and it does not matter how or how much at this point right? Maybe can you get those airfares down??? It seems that is where you are paying the most because hotel and tickets do not add up to that much. Think on changing airfare first then rethink it. Also loosing nap time and how many rides can she ride in that one day for her age and height?
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quintissential Thread

To me this a quintissential Intercot thread. We don't really want to hear what someone else would do-but rather the reasons why they would do something (or not do something) so we can make a decision (Pros and Cons).
    Or sometimes sentiment is so overwhelming (as it is here) that despite the advice of someone on the other side (ie.-You Only Live Once) thet really hits the mark we are compelled to take the overwhelming choice.
    I used to go to Grateful Dead concerts and we would spend our last dime to go. And Disney is a little like that - there's only one way to scratch that itch and that is to go. It's pure fun.

Sometimes in life a situation presents itself and despite an overwhelming sentiment, nay sometimes because of it, we are emboldened to do the opposite of what is rational and responsible. So I'm saying read the posts, weigh the options, consider the lopsided response, then toss it all out the window because it will have had its' effect. If after all that you still must go...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Ha ha ... I actually agree with you, but I have to admit to be a very big "live life to the fullest" kind of guy. I'm not really known for being fiscally wise, however.

The way I'd look at this is ... if I have $1,000 and I can have a once-in-a-lifetime experience with it, why wouldn't I do that?? If I don't spend it, it's just numbers on a sheet somewhere. Money has absolutely no value unless it's exchanged for goods and services. Otherwise it's just ... paper. Its only power is in its ability to be exchanged.

I subscribe to the old adage, "I'd rather die a million bucks behind than a million bucks ahead!!!"
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I subscribe to the old adage, "I'd rather die a million bucks behind than a million bucks ahead!!!"
    not necessarily a bad plan...just make sure your the last in your family to go (so someone else doesn't have to foot the bill) ...or that you have plenty of life insurance. lol.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

We had this same delimma when our DS was about 3. We weighed the pros and cons and this is what we found:
    pros:
    fun
    magical
    once in a life time trip
    birthday he won't forget
    not as expensive as a longer trip
    miss less days at school/work
    not promised tomorrow... life is short!

cons:
    spending the money on such a short trip would mean the longer trip would have to be postponed even longer

The drive down for one day with a 3 year old would be too exhausting for everyone... but especially him and we wanted the experience to be not rushed.

He would not remember and would not be old enough to do much at 3.

____our decision____

We took the exact amount we would have spent and put it in a WDW savings account. We saved up until he was 5 (a great age to go) and had enough to fly down, stay on site and have a 7 day park hopper pass. No one was rushed... he could ride every ride, and he didn't get as exhausted. I wouldn't change a thing.... plus the excitement of putting money aside for a big WDW trip was fun.
    Returning August 2012
    November 2010- FW
    Oct 2009 - FW
    Sept 2007 - FW
    Sept 2005 - FW
    Sept 1997 - All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a great idea, but I'd say that it would only be worth it if it went without a hitch and if you wouldn't miss the money, which you won't know until after it happens. Since you live in northern Indiana and you're planning on going in January, I'd expect that you'll have a better than average chance of travel hitches.

So I'd vote that it wouldn't be worth it, since there are so many things that can go wrong. As a pp mentioned, there isn't time for a plan B. So put that $1000 towards your next vacation at WDW. You can have a longer trip or upgrade your accommodations for $1,000.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: