Quantcast Smoke reported from Disney monorail

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smoke reported from Disney monorail

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but there seems to have been smoke coming from a monorail. What's going on???

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,3701208.story

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... that doesn't sound good.
    I just noticed this in the article:
    Wuennenberg's mother is seeking legal action against Disney.
    I didn't realize the family of the monorail driver that died is going after Disney.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it was in a control tower not one if the trains. Also sounds very minor but the Sentinel does love to jump on all things Disney.

Not surprised about the possible legal action but not sure why the Sentinel thought that had anything to do with this story.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Not surprised about the possible legal action but not sure why the Sentinel thought that had anything to do with this story.
    You don't understand how a current story about smoke coming from a monorail relates to a fatal monorail accident that happened a few months ago?

Really?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You don't understand how a current story about smoke coming from a monorail relates to a fatal monorail accident that happened a few months ago?

Really?
    Of course I do, please don't insult. I would expect better of a moderator.

But I don't understand why it got more than a couple of sentences. It was a story about a very minor electrical smoke Incident not a major accident. And look more closely at the story it's not about "a monorail" but at the tower and even the article said nothing was found. So my comment is about how the Sentinel embellishes everything about Disney.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I do, please don't insult. I would expect better of a moderator.

But I don't understand why it got more than a couple of sentences. It was a story about a very minor electrical smoke Incident not a major accident. And look more closely at the story it's not about "a monorail" but at the tower and even the article said nothing was found. So my comment is about how the Sentinel embellishes everything about Disney.
    I agree today's story is indirectly linked to the accident in July. It looks like the writer from the Sentinel is just rehashing that story to fill space since it does not add anything to the main article.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Okay, I apologize. I went back and read the full story from beginning to end and I agree ... 35% of the article is a non-story about some smoke (incorrectly identified as coming from a monorail) and the other 65% is just a rehash of a negative story about Disney.

My bad ... should have fully read the story from start to finish before I commented.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

They edited the story to give the correct location of the smoke The first article mentioned the monorail as the source of a "fire" but the updated version states it was just smoke from a platform at the station due to an electrical shortage. Not much cause for concern...I suppose we'll be hearing of any little incident concerning the monorail for quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

From a local perspective, all I can say is "Welcome to the wonderful world of Orlando Sentinel reporting."

Notice, too, that the headline refers to an electrical "shortage". There's a world of difference between a "shortage" (BTW, there's no such thing as an "electrical shortage") and a "short circuit".

And in the other story today about the apparent natural causes death of a guest at PO Riverside, they ran a picture of PO French Quarter.

They seem to delight in rehashing old news, even if it has absolutely nothing to do with the matter they are reporting.

The Sentinel (or "Slantinel" as it's known locally) is not noted for its editorial review and oversight of stories before they are published, either in print or on their website.

Is it any wonder that so many newspapers are going out of business?

Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Yeah, I was going to say, Ed ... you don't need to look just at local papers to see slanted news.

It's available every day on CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox .... seems like honest, fair reporting is a thing of the past, replaced by this sensationalized "newsertainment" we have now.

And I agree. I think it's the main reason newspapers are a dying breed.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I didn't realize the family of the monorail driver that died is going after Disney.
    It's the American way it seems!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Is it any wonder that so many newspapers are going out of business?
    I think it has more to do with the medium than the content. You've got shows like Access Hollywood and such that are doing quite well.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that Austin's mon is taking legal action against Disney. IT'S JUSTIFIED!! There were too many errors made in what could have been an accident avoided. No it won't bring Austin back and I'm sure that his family knows that. It will however send a message that carelessness or oversights like the ones in that case cannot be overlooked.

Just as when I was "friends" with the characters many years ago and a fellow performer was killed in an parade accident--backstage. Disney sent food and flowers to his home and even paid for his funeral but that doesn't erase the mistakes made.

It will all be settled out of court anyway....as BIG of a Disney fan that I am I say good for her that she is taking legal steps against the company.

Post Thanks / Like

the Magic Kingdom Express and Resort monorail beams are not in operation today (Oct 1st). Guests are asked to use bus and watercraft transportation. The Epcot - TTC monorail is operating normally.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plutoboy View Post
    It will all be settled out of court anyway....as BIG of a Disney fan that I am I say good for her that she is taking legal steps against the company.
    That is the true test.

IF they settle, then to me, it's a money grab.

IF NOT, then good for them for trying to bring awareness to the real issues.

Something tells me this is going to turn into a settlement. And my problem with that is Disney then gets to sweep it under the rug with language in the settlement forbiding anyone to talk about it, etc. Nobody ever learns the truth and they get the go on business as usual.

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the original topic....

If the electrical problem was in the control room, why did the monorail have to be towed back to the garage?

I'll assume the monorail is powered by electric motors. Electric motor fail, ALL the time. There is no way to prevent it, other than systematically replacing functional motors, which is unrealistic in today's economy. Occasionally, when they fail they produce a lot of smoke and burning odor. I'm in the HVAC business, and I can tell countless stories of buildings being evacuated because a motor failed and smoked in the air handler in buildings/schools/dorms, etc, and the occupants were never in any danger. I would bet money that this was a simple motor failure. Nothing more, nothing less.
    '84 - offsite
    '98 - Contemporary
    '00 - offsite
    '03 - Contemporary
    '05 - Polynesian
    '06 - Contemporary
    '07 - Contemporary
    June '08 - Port Orleans Riverside (surprise Father's day gift)
    Dec '08 - Contemporary
    Aug-09 - CSR
    Dec '09 - BLT
    May '10 - Polynesian
    Feb '11 - CSR
    Nov '13 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

The Magic Kingdom resort and express lines are back in service.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    The Magic Kingdom resort and express lines are back in service.
    Thanks for the update.
    WDWdriver - can you give us any info concerning this fire ? was it on the beam or in the control room ?
    thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it was just a power problem...and the train wasn't towed to the shop...since they had to kill the power, they had to use the tractor to push it back into the station to unload the guests.

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: