Quantcast KUKA Robotics Corporation Introduces RoboSim 4-D Simulator at INNOVENTIONS

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default KUKA Robotics Corporation Introduces RoboSim 4-D Simulator at INNOVENTIONS

These are the robot simulators being used in the new Sum of all Thrills attraction in Innoventions (East) at Epcot. Sounds like fun. The article doesn't say, but I think I remember seeing that Disney bought 4 of these. Makes me wonder what kind of lines there will be for them.

From Businesswire.com -
    KUKA Robotics Corporation Introduces RoboSim 4-D Simulator at INNOVENTIONS in Epcot at the Walt Disney World® Resort

KUKA Robotics Corporation announces the introduction of the RoboSim 4-D Simulator to the North American Entertainment Marketplace at INNOVENTIONS.

CLINTON TOWNSHIP, Mich.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--KUKA Robotics Corporation is pleased to announce the usage of the RoboSim 4-D Simulator ride system as part of a new exhibit at INNOVENTIONS in Epcot at the Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. The addition of the RoboSim 4-D Simulator is an expansion of KUKA’s current presence at INNOVENTIONS at Epcot. KUKA currently sponsors Rockin’ Robots - a 2,000 plus square foot interactive exhibit allowing guests to conduct a robotic band located in the INNOVENTIONS West building. “The popularity and expansion of INNOVENTIONS coupled with KUKA’s unique and innovative robotic and educational solutions in this exciting entertainment and education project will enhance the KUKA brand presence while strengthening our continued growth in the North American market.” stated Stu Shepherd, President of KUKA Robotics Corporation. “We are excited for the opportunity to demonstrate KUKA’s unique capabilities in a market that drives progress and interest in learning.”

The KUKA RoboSim 4-D Simulator creates a 4-dimensional experience through 3-D robotic motion and “wind”, by controlling air movements to stimulate the senses providing a more realistic simulation experience involving high speeds, quick direction changes and different climates for a unique sensation. The appeal of the 2-seat simulator is that it does not fully enclose the rider, but allows the rider’s legs and feet to be suspended. The spherical carbon-fiber hood, which is integrated as part of the unique KUKA RoboCoaster ride system, immerses the rider into a true sensory experience by using high definition video combined with stereo sound and controlled air motion. “The KUKA RoboCoaster® programmable robotic ride system utilizes 6 axes and 6 degrees of total directional freedom with synchronized “under the hood” entertainment provides a thrilling experience like no other.” commented Stu Shepherd.

The RoboSim 4-D Simulator is TÜV certified and includes safety devices such as smoke alarms and temperature monitoring. Video cameras and microphones allow RoboSim operators to monitor passengers at all times.

Prime venues for use of the RoboCoaster and RoboSim versions include theme parks, science centers, shopping malls, family entertainment centers (FEC), amusement parks, leisure parks, and other motion-enhanced, virtual reality applications.

KUKA Robotics offers a wide range of industrial robots and robot systems, which includes the RoboCoaster. The RoboCoaster operates with a service-proven PC-based control platform. This PC-based robot controller (KR C) benefits from all the advantages of PC technology, such as remote diagnosis, Microsoft Windows interface, field bus, Soft PLC, OPC Server and much more.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds really cool.... I hope it's up and running when we're there in a couple of weeks!! Thanks for the info!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    Sounds really cool.... I hope it's up and running when we're there in a couple of weeks!! Thanks for the info!

Me too!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's cool. I'm really going to have to spend some time in Innoventions on our next trip.

I was surprised to see the article had Clinton Township as the location; KUKA's US location is about 10-15 minutes from my house.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen it published officially, but I've seen/heard rumor, that this will open 10/14. Can anyone confirm?
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

They have one of these in Gateway 26 in Wildwood,NJ on the boardwalk. You can choose from 5 different scenarios, Gateway 26 is an arcade and its $5 for a 3 minute ride. was totally not worth it, do a little digging on the net you will find it. It was an all yellow machine with recliner like seats (2) with 2 fans and a wide screen in front of you. The chair shakes and barley moves. The wind does go along with the video, but due to the ride system being open its hardly feels real. I only did the abandon Mine Train scenario (its actually a lot like the run-away mine car scene from the lastest Mummy movie) and that was enough for more for $5 bucks. It is kinda good but not $5 per ride good. Most people had no Idea what it did, and I had a crowd around when I was on it, then everyone walks away mumbling "thats it? glad we diden't try that" but, remember its free in INNOVENTIONS E so enjoy
    96 - All-Star Music
    99 - All-Star Music
    04 - Off-site
    05 - All-Star Movies/Music/Off-site (AP)
    06 - All-Star Music/Off-site (AP)
    07 - All-Star Movies
    08 - POP Century
    09 - POP Century/Off-site
    10 - Coronado Springs/CBR/All-Star Sports (AP)
    11 - All-Star Music 1/9! (AP)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Nemo View Post
    They have one of these in Gateway 26 in Wildwood,NJ on the boardwalk. You can choose from 5 different scenarios, Gateway 26 is an arcade and its $5 for a 3 minute ride. was totally not worth it, do a little digging on the net you will find it. It was an all yellow machine with recliner like seats (2) with 2 fans and a wide screen in front of you. The chair shakes and barley moves. The wind does go along with the video, but due to the ride system being open its hardly feels real. I only did the abandon Mine Train scenario (its actually a lot like the run-away mine car scene from the lastest Mummy movie) and that was enough for more for $5 bucks. It is kinda good but not $5 per ride good. Most people had no Idea what it did, and I had a crowd around when I was on it, then everyone walks away mumbling "thats it? glad we diden't try that" but, remember its free in INNOVENTIONS E so enjoy
    Umm, I don't think you experienced a KUKA Arm. This thing flips you, rolls you, and basically throws you around like a rag dolls.

Post Thanks / Like

It's officially open...

The first-ever Innoventions ride at Epcot Theme Park, The Sum of all Thrills, presented by Raytheon, has officially opened to the public. It’s a simulated thrill ride that counts on your creativity and brain power. You innovate and then experience the creation in a state-of-the-art robotic simulator. How it works is simple.

Three vehicle choices appear at each design station: a roller coaster, bobsled or jet. Using a multi-touch, object recognition table, you use tools such as rulers and speed dials to design a ride. Corkscrews, inversions and steep hills are recommended.

After designing, the information is saved on a special card. The card is then swiped at a “launch station” and your creative work is instantly uploaded to the simulator. Next, you enter the simulator’s seating chamber where a 3-D video hood is placed over your head and upper torso. Now, the fun begins — twists and turns come alive in first-person point of view.

Walt Disney Imagineering worked with Raytheon to create and design The Sum of all Thrills. It’s really about math and science presented in a way that can inspire a new generation of mathematicians, scientists and engineers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by John; 10-14-2009 at 09:17 PM.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Default KUKA Robotics Corporation Introduces RoboSim 4-D Simulator at INNOVENTIONS

This sounds like CyberSpace Mountain at Disney Quest. I imagine the technology is much more advanced but a similar idea ie create your own ride and experience it on a simulator. Anyone tried this yet (today)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    That's cool. I'm really going to have to spend some time in Innoventions on our next trip.

I was surprised to see the article had Clinton Township as the location; KUKA's US location is about 10-15 minutes from my house.
    Cool! and I'm in Troy about 20 minutes from you.

Can't wait to see this! We'll be there in 3 days!!!!
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

sounds cool...thou I do wonder what the lines will be like.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Any age/height restrictions?
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

This really sounds like fun!

I truly hope we can get some Intercotees to experience it in the next few days or weeks and report back how it is.

I think we just added another "must do" to our trip next year.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

- From the Disney Parks Blog -
    The first-ever Innoventions ride at Epcot Theme Park, The Sum of all Thrills, presented by Raytheon, has officially opened to the public. It’s a simulated thrill ride that counts on your creativity and brain power. You innovate and then experience the creation in a state-of-the-art robotic simulator. How it works is simple.

Three vehicle choices appear at each design station: a roller coaster, bobsled or jet. Using a multi-touch, object recognition table, you use tools such as rulers and speed dials to design a ride. Corkscrews, inversions and steep hills are recommended.

After designing, the information is saved on a special card. The card is then swiped at a “launch station” and your creative work is instantly uploaded to the simulator. Next, you enter the simulator’s seating chamber where a 3-D video hood is placed over your head and upper torso. Now, the fun begins — twists and turns come alive in first-person point of view.

Walt Disney Imagineering worked with Raytheon to create and design The Sum of all Thrills. It’s really about math and science presented in a way that can inspire a new generation of mathematicians, scientists and engineers. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
    I think I saw somewhere that the height requirement is 48" if a ride profile with no inversions is chosen, and 54" with inversions.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds quite a bit like the design your own coaster "ride/game" at DQ.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like alot of fun. I know DS13 will be dying to try this out when we go next year.
    April 2015 - CSR
    May 2013 CSR
    December 2011 Bay Lake Towers
    May 2009 off site
    November 2007 off site
    December 2004 off site
    October 2003 off site
    Feburary 2002 Poly
    December 2000 CBR
    October 1999 CSR
    October 1994 off site
    May 1990 off site
    May 1984 off site
    November 1979 off site

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like Disney DID in fact beat Universal to the punch. It is highly rumored that this ride arm system will be used in the new Harry Potter ride at Islands of Adventure.

Where I can only speculate that the Universal ride will involve tons of theme-ing and maybe movie screens (think Spiderman), there is no doubt that something like this ride at Innoventions would take some of the wind out of Universal's sails...

My husband and I looked for this attraction in Innoventions when we were in WDW a couple of weeks ago, but were sad to find it wasn't yet open.

Barely missed it!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    Seems like Disney DID in fact beat Universal to the punch. It is highly rumored that this ride arm system will be used in the new Harry Potter ride at Islands of Adventure.

Where I can only speculate that the Universal ride will involve tons of theme-ing and maybe movie screens (think Spiderman), there is no doubt that something like this ride at Innoventions would take some of the wind out of Universal's sails...
    I HIGHLY doubt that. The Universal ride that uses this technology is rumored to not only use the KUKA Arm, but also have that KUKA Arm move along a track and not just be stationary like the ones Disney has.

No doubt this is a great addition to Innovations, but when Universal unveils their KUKA Arm ride it is going to blow this out of the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, which is why I cited tons of themeing, movie screens and most importantly, Spiderman (which also moves along a track).

I think Disney was eager to break in the KAM first. I think traditionally, Disney likes to claim they were using certain ground-breaking items/ideas first. Although the Innoventions display will certainly be bare bones by comparison.
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

I will try it in seven days!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: