Quantcast Splash Mountain closed in Jan! - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofyskier View Post
    Thats the other problem I have with this. You used to be able to go on the Disneyworld web site and easily find the planned closers and rehab dates. Now its like an act of Congress to navigate the web site to and find the info. This is most likely intentional but is also bad form. Again, e-mail them and tell them you want the dates changed if you are traveling during this time. They may ignore one or two but will not ignore everyone.
    Absolutely agree and I have written them about this issue. The site makes it extrememly difficult to find info at times (most times). It took me a bit to find the Splash Mountain info. I found it as part of our planning a while ago and I've learned to really keep hunting.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

it stinks, but we've gone like the last 3 years the end of Jan and it's always closed...so historical data would insinuate that it's usually closed for maintenance during Jan. Another reason why is because it's awful cold (believe it or not) to be riding a water ride during this time of year, not that it would stop me, but there are a lot less riders than during the rest of the year.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

I will say that I understand Gators frustration and I know that Gator knows that Disney didn't intentionally take the ride out of commission as an attack on him or his daughter but in the heat of the moment as we try to write out our frustrations we say things that in our irrational mind sound right and we say them. That doesnt mean as we cool down that we believe all that we said but it helps us get to a place that we can work out what our next step is going to be.

I see someone who loves their daughter and wants to give her the best Disney experience she can have and knows how hard it can be to explain to that child and get her to understand that she will not get to go on such a great ride.

My daughter is 7, I wrote previously on this thread about how much she was looking forward to going on splash for the first time in January. I told her yesterday that splash would be down and she was devistated and cried but I reminded her of all the great rides there, it doesn't make up for it being down but she is a Disney ride lover and will be okay but a younger child would have a harder time understanding.

Gator, I wish you and your family the best as do I too all who have posted here, I just ask all to try to understand how we all sometimes need to blow off a litte steam and lets help each other work though those times so that we can all have a magical Disney vacation even before we get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmee View Post
    it stinks, but we've gone like the last 3 years the end of Jan and it's always closed...so historical data would insinuate that it's usually closed for maintenance during Jan. Another reason why is because it's awful cold (believe it or not) to be riding a water ride during this time of year, not that it would stop me, but there are a lot less riders than during the rest of the year.
    I realize that it is colder but, if that is truely the reason they do refurbs, then why not close both water parks also instead of staggering?
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha whoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post

Except that it has been officially announced for a few weeks at least now on the Disney site. The dates shown on disneyworld.disney.go.com are for January 3, 2010 to Feb. 27, 2010. I've got it open in another tab right now!
    I don't know about the information being up on the Disney World website for a few weeks, but I believe the official announcement was just made within the last few days. Infocentral has been updated.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I don't know about the information being up on the Disney World website for a few weeks, but I believe the official announcement was just made within the last few days. Infocentral has been updated.
    It was on Disney.ca (which redirects to Disneyworld.disney.go.com Canada pages) for at least 3 weeks though that Disney site seems to have refurb info earlier than the main site.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    How many young children even have ever heard of Song of the South? It has never been released on DVD in the USA.
    My four-year-old DD saw it last week. Can't tell you how.

Anywho, I would hope that I wouldn't get so upset if an attraction is closed when we're there for my DH & DD's first (and probably only) WDW trip, June 2010. It's a life lesson to be learned that you can't always get what you want, when you want it. IMO, there are major entitlement problems with "kids these days". I am only 36 myself, so I can talk about it.

Go and have a good time anyway, letting your daughter know before you get there that Splash is closed. I've shown DD you tube videos of things that are at WDW but I'm not promising her anything. That way, she's not disappointed if there is something she can't do.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We are heading down in January too, and this would be my daughter's first chance to ride also. Obviously we are disappointed too, but like everyone has said, the refurbs need to happen and we take that chance by going in the "Value" season.

You'll have a great time still and I know your daughter will have an amazing time riding all of the other rides she was too short to ride last time!
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BigThunderFan;1973406]We are heading down in January too, and this would be my daughter's first chance to ride also. Obviously we are disappointed too, but like everyone has said, the refurbs need to happen and we take that chance by going in the "Value" season.[QUOTE]

The problem I have with the statement above is that yes, you are going during Value season but, is your park addmission discounted? Yes refurbs need to happen but to deduce that they should happen in January / February because it is slower is cheaper is wrong. The fact is, your ticket media costs the same as it would in the peak season and therefore the total number of planned refurmishments should average out about the same regardless of the time of year. As I have noted in my earlier posts; I do not have an issue with a refurb. I do have an issue when that refurb occurs at the same time of year for the past three years as is the case with Splash.
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha whoeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I feel for you. The last time my family went which was the first time, all I could do is push how great the Haunted Mansion was. Well low and behold we get there and CLOSED. It came up the day after we left. So disappointment I know about. But did I let it ruin anything absolutely not. It just gave me a reason to plan another trip at a different time. So up to this trip. Been hyping Typhoon Lagoon to my daughter and guess what ITS CLOSED when we go. OH well. I see another trip at a different time coming now. So to me there is always next time. I mean the place is so big you can't do everything anyway. So just enjoy what is there and look to the future.

Post Thanks / Like

While I feel for you,especially after getting your child excited,I really think that your over reacting to a ride refurb.It needs to happen and we can't always get everything we want.I would explain that to your child and then let it go.In the grand scheme of things,this really isn't that important.
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

It's closing on January 3rd, correct? So when I get there on the 2nd, I should make Splash Mountain the first priority ride?

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to ride it I would.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofyskier View Post
    I realize that it is colder but, if that is truely the reason they do refurbs, then why not close both water parks also instead of staggering?
    I think the idea behind staggering them is to have at least one water park open all the time. If they had two Splash Mountains they'd stagger the refurbs on those, too.

All attractions need to be refurbished and repaired regularly, and especially Splash Mountain, which has many mechanical parts, pumps and motors, and a ton of animatronics. O on top of that is the busiest (most riders) of any attraction at WDW, so it gets a lot of use. If it's going to have to be done anyway and its a water ride, then winter (coldest and slowest time of year) is probably the best time to do a refurb.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I can't believe it! I've been telling my little girl for the past 6 months that she's finally tall enough to ride Splash Mountain. It's all she can talk about. She can't wait to go to WDW and ride Splash Mountain. And now Disney closes it for the whole month of Jan - exactly when we'll be there! What a crock! If I hadn't paid $1K for plane tickets, I'd cancel my trip and NEVER go back. I'll spend my future Disney time at DL instead. You know what Disney? You STINK
    The fact of the matter is that you can't please everyone. January is historically a slow time. Think about it from Disney's perspective: Splash Mountain is one of the most popular attractions at Magic Kingdom. Considering in the realm of theme park attractions water is a VERY volatile element, an attraction such as Splash Mountain requires routine as well as annual maintenance. It NEEDS this month of down-time in order to continue operating in top shape.

Since this maintenance is unavoidable and January is a generally slow time crowd-wise, it is the most ideal time to do it. It simply cannot be down during peak periods like summer or holidays.

I understand you're upset that it's closed during your visit, but unfortunately Disney can't keep their attractions open 100% of the time for basic safety and maintenance reasons. If it falls when you visit, yes, it's unfortunate but that's the risk you take when visiting during a non-peak season.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

OP, Disneyland closes Splash Mountain every year for maintenance too...in the winter. It has to be done.

In the future, perhaps getting your child so worked up about a SPECIFIC attraction isn't such a good idea.

Seasonal maintenance aside, ANY attraction can go down at ANY time, for ANY amount of time necessary to fix it.

Disney cannot forsee this sort of thing, which is why on the BACK of every ticket, it basically says something to the effect of "rides/attractions availability subject to change...no refunds for inclement weather, etc. etc. etc." Some rides have to close during severe weather. Some rides may break and need to be shut down.

The ticket media allows you entry into the park(s) and unlimited access to the rides CURRENTLY in operation on any particular day.

And, truthfully, children need to learn about disappointment. You don't want your child to learn that she should be entitled to everything she wants, do you? Just saying...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

Seasonal maintenance aside, ANY attraction can go down at ANY time, for ANY amount of time necessary to fix it.

Disney cannot forsee this sort of thing, which is why on the BACK of every ticket, it basically says something to the effect of "rides/attractions availability subject to change...no refunds for inclement weather, etc. etc. etc." Some rides have to close during severe weather. Some rides may break and need to be shut down.

Its funny you mentioned that. In July of 2008 we were in DL when a small earthquake hit. It caused rides to be shut down for awhile....the funny thing people were lining up on Main Street to try and get refunds...like it was DL's fault or something. I don't get that way of thinking. Stuff Happens.

Not everything goes perfectly even at the Happiest Place on Earth.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    Its funny you mentioned that. In July of 2008 we were in DL when a small earthquake hit. It caused rides to be shut down for awhile....the funny thing people were lining up on Main Street to try and get refunds...like it was DL's fault or something. I don't get that way of thinking. Stuff Happens.

Not everything goes perfectly even at the Happiest Place on Earth.
    I was off work that day and it happened to be my birthday as well. I also remember the lines down Main Street right after the quake. Because, obviously Disneyland planned to ruin everyone's day with that.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    I was off work that day and it happened to be my birthday as well. I also remember the lines down Main Street right after the quake. Because, obviously Disneyland planned to ruin everyone's day with that.
    We were there for that quake as well. We were on the balcony of The Golden Horseshoe enjoying our Ice Cream when it hit. We thought that it was part of the show!

We were amazed at the fact that there were folks trying to get refunds. Sure things happen but it is not like it was planned to ruin someone's trip.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I know how frustrating it is to have something down for refurb. I assure you, however, it's not only in January when this happens.

We go in peak summer season, and the last couple of years we've had to do without Space Mountain, TTA, Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribbean. Oh yeah, and Small World. One or more has been down each summer for the past couple of years. With SM being closed this year, it totally changed the way we toured the MK - but we didn't let it put a damper on the fun we had.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: