Quantcast Lights of Winter - Cancelled This Year?!? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

From the Official Disney Parks Twitter Account:

Note:The Lights of Winter at Epcot has been enjoyed for years. But tech to operate the lights is obsolete, prompting us to retire the lights
    So there's the only official comment we'll probably see on the matter.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    oh...right....keep telling yourself that....

"glad we're not going"....that's funny
    That's WAAAAY funny!

I am super disappointed in this reduction. I was just showing DBF the pictures the other evening and now it won't be there. Oh, well. At least WE will be there!!! In three weeks we will be at Epcot waddling around, full of Flying Fish dinner... Whooo Hoooo!!!!
    Nell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Pretty sure Disney's got over 5,000,000 Christmas lights lit up for over 3 hours a night every night at Studios down the street, not to mention icicle lights on Cinderella Castle every night. Anybody else but me pretty aware about how much those little lights jack up an electric bill? I know Disney's a multi-billion dollar corporation but they can't just flip a switch to turn those things on for free. The lights at Epcot paled in comparison to the other two anyway.
    If the formulas are correct, 5,000,000 5watt bullbs burning for 5 hours would cost about $20,000 at $0.15 per kilowatt hour. But, I believe Disney generates it's own power, so this would be much less since they don't need to make a profit on the power supplied.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say since the Christmas Cutbacks since 2006 are continuing to mount, No more CBJ Christmas, Mickey's Twas the Night, now the Lights of Winter. As for the cost of the light most have been converted to LED so the cost is alot less now.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the Lights of Winter! It's a shame they're gone. Oh well, at least we got to see them in 2007 one last time.

I love their excuse for retiring them....the technology is obsolete. You mean, there's nothing out there that can make lights blink on and off sequentially or in sync with music? Nothing?? Geez....then what makes the Osborne lights work? Pixie dust?? I know they're different, but still, it's just programming.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Obsolete can be interpreted many ways.

Obsolete
    Definition: no longer in use, in vogue
    Synonyms:
    anachronistic, ancient, antediluvian, antiquated, antique, archaic, bygone, dated, dead, dead and gone, dinosaur, discarded, disused, done for, dusty, extinct, fossil, gone, had it, has-been, horse and buggy, kaput, moldy, moth-eaten, old, old-fashioned, old-hat, old-school, out*, out-of-date, out-of-fashion, outmoded, outworn, passé, stale, superannuated, superseded, timeworn, unfashionable
    Perhaps they just meant that the lights, which have been around since the early 90s, were not in good working condition. It could also mean that they didn't have the resources to get them in good working condition in time for the holidays. Consider the fact that they added the icicle lights to Cinderella's castle a couple years ago, and they have the billions of lights at DHS, these two projects alone represent over a year's worth of man hours to install, test and then take down. I think people are being very selfish and childish about the retiring of the Lights of Winter when you take these two other MAJOR light displays into account.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post

Perhaps they just meant that the lights, which have been around since the early 90s, were not in good working condition. It could also mean that they didn't have the resources to get them in good working condition in time for the holidays. Consider the fact that they added the icicle lights to Cinderella's castle a couple years ago, and they have the billions of lights at DHS, these two projects alone represent over a year's worth of man hours to install, test and then take down. I think people are being very selfish and childish about the retiring of the Lights of Winter when you take these two other MAJOR light displays into account.
    Selfish and childish? I have been going to WDW for Christmas every year for the past ten, at least. I've seen so many cutbacks over the years: Country Bears Christmas, Night Before Christmas at MK, tree lighting ceremony at Epcot, no photos or pins at MVMCP, fewer Christmas decorations all over the resort...

Have prices decreased? No. They've gone up.

The castle lights do NOT make up for it.
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

I think people are being very selfish and childish about the retiring of the Lights of Winter when you take these two other MAJOR light displays into account.
    I have to disagree with this statement The Light of Winter were unique and added to the atmosphere of Epcot. They might not have had all the high tech flash of the newer display at the Castle or the Osbourne Lights that were actually kept up to date. Any way you slice it a cutback is a cutback and detracts from the Magic and overall guest experience. Is wanting to get my moneys worth being childish and selfish?
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Is wanting to get my moneys worth being childish and selfish?
    Certainly not. I agree completely and I'm bothered too by the constant cutbacks and price increases and what some have termed "declining by degrees". I've seen numerous examples of this over the last 5 years or so, and it ticks me off. But, I think in this case, it might be a little different. I don't believe they would just retire a popular feature that draws it's own fanbase without good reason. I sincerely believe that this was a case of needing to replace the lights due to their age. I believe they debuted in the early 90s, so 10-15 years has probably out-lived the original intended life. I know the lights I have at home don't last that long. So, hopefully, next year will bring something new.

Disney monitors crowds, and spending pretty closely. If the retiring of these lights causes a significant change to Epcot this year, rest assured, they will replace them with something new.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Are you serious? One of the reasons why Disney has such a loyal fanbase is due in part to cutting edge technology that they do use. Every park (with the exception of AK) has something unique about them when it comes to Holiday lights and LOW was it at Epcot. If this was the case they have since January to figure something new and imporved to thrill the mass amount of people that visit during the holiday season.

If you think that this is not affecting people take a look at the Disney Blogs

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...omment-page-5/
    If you can dream it, you can do it ...Horizons
    **Been there, done that at Disney!!!**
    Next Trip:
    Post Mother's Day trip May 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Pretty sure Disney's got over 5,000,000 Christmas lights lit up for over 3 hours a night every night at Studios down the street, not to mention icicle lights on Cinderella Castle every night. Anybody else but me pretty aware about how much those little lights jack up an electric bill? I know Disney's a multi-billion dollar corporation but they can't just flip a switch to turn those things on for free. The lights at Epcot paled in comparison to the other two anyway.
    Don't they have there own power and utilities anyway. I don't think it costs them anything like it would cost us.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it is a small thing, but it's all these "little things" that to me make Disney what it is.

But don't go by me, I still haven't gotten over there being no more Jolly Holidays Dinner at the Contemporary. Anyone remember that dinner show?....I loved it.

I also loved getting a personalized Christmas card from the GF each year.
    "Why Worry? If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it better." WD

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the dinners show, although I'm not sure I ever went to it (too young at the time maybe?)

Disney also used to leave small stockings of candy on every hotel room door Christmas morning. They haven't done that in years.
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

lockedoutlogic Guest

Let me try to sum this up in reality:

The lights being removed is the kind of visible, little gain yielded, nickel pinching kinda cuts that WDW is now becoming notorious for...
    You would think, that in a well-run business, that if you really wanted cost savings - you would look to cut staff and streamline operations/ outsourse behind the scenes and let the parks be the same.....but they don't do that. WDW is in many ways run like a badly-run state bureaucracy (cough NEW JERSEY cough PENNSYLVANIA cough NEW YORK cough)...even when they talk about making "sacrifices" and "tough choices" and "savings"....they don't go far enough. even though their employee rolls are down over the last 2 years....there is still ridiculous amount of fat (as in pork, excess, redundancy) that still wears a nametag and draws benefits. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that they need less to operate....but they are overmanaged and have alot of poor qualities workers there that don't meet the standards of Disney. Kinda like a big frat house....or family reunion

Second,
    The light show, while not really costing them much - lets be serious - was hacked because the management determined that there was no upside to it. minimal savings....but the kinda thing they do freely when the economy isn't perfect. I call it the 9/11 protocol...exploit any downswing in the market to slash and burn every extra you can eliminate....cuz in a few months or years: nobody will notice it's gone.

They have candlelight....so they figure that's enough....and...big AND....they sell dining packages with that. so that is worthwhile....
    The constant additions of "add ons" while cutting out minimally expensive extras is really starting to drive me nuts....
    Don't they have somekind of Nemo dining package at DAK now? shameless....why do i have to pay an inflated fixed price cost to "guarantee" a spot in a show that is rarely full?
    But i'm sure there are many fish on that hook....no pun intended

Do they still do the Santas in the World Showcase anymore? Well, if they do....get your pictures soon...they'll probably show up in Hogwarts at IOA by next christmas after they get the pink slips

Post Thanks / Like

I have posted to the blog three times! I have been bounced out every time. I wasn't abusive, I didn't use any bad language, I just pointed out the error of their ways. Since WDW doesn't want to post it, I'll post it here.

Obsolete technology is a pretty lame excuse. Space Mountain is certainly considered obsolete technology by coaster builders, are you going to retire that? What about It's a Small World, Carousel Of Progress, and the Indy Speedway?

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    I have posted to the blog three times! I have been bounced out every time. I wasn't abusive, I didn't use any bad language, I just pointed out the error of their ways. Since WDW doesn't want to post it, I'll post it here.

Obsolete technology is a pretty lame excuse. Space Mountain is certainly considered obsolete technology by coaster builders, are you going to retire that? What about It's a Small World, Carousel Of Progress, and the Indy Speedway?

anything put anywhere an officially sanciton disney property has to be smoke and sunshine.....

even when what they are doing is beyond thinly veiled and cheapskate....

it's their way. they've reduced their standards across the boards....jacked up their prices.....but they still maintain some kind of "happiness" code about what you can say....

hypocrisy at its highest form

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    They may be limiting the number of responses to that particular entry. Or, they could've just been flooded with the responses, and they haven't posted them all. They moderate/filter responses which means somebody has to physically read and approve them before they go public.
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Or, they could've just been flooded with the responses, and they haven't posted them all.
    Well maybe that should tell them something about how many people are upset by this!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laprana View Post
    Well maybe that should tell them something about how many people are upset by this!
    I'm sure they've got plenty of flack on this. I've seen numerous comments across many Disney fan-sites and nobody is happy with them on it. The question is, are they listening, do they care and will they do anything about it?
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

lockedoutlogic Guest

I'm sure they've got plenty of flack on this. I've seen numerous comments across many Disney fan-sites and nobody is happy with them on it. The question is, are they listening, do they care and will they do anything about it?
    are they listening? yes

do they care? not the slightest bit

will they do anything? yes...they are already looking at what little thing that's been in the park for 20 years they can axe to save the cost of a 6 dollar an hour employee

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: