Quantcast Seven Tips for Dealing with Rope Drop & Toy Story Mania - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great tips and motivation to get my butt out of bed in the morning! We are so not morning people and this is our first trip during peak time so we plan to maximize our morning time. The early bird gets the ride
    10/89 honeymoon off-site
    11/93 off-site last trip pre-child
    12/01 ASMovies first trip for kids
    10/04 POFQ
    02/09 Pop and first cruise on Wonder
    03/10 POFQ trip to see CFHS Tiger Band!
    03/14 VWL to see DD2 and the CFHS Tiger Band!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

One other tip- make sure your entire party is in the park when you go to get FPs. If the person hasn't used their ticket through the turnstyles, it won't work in the FP machines.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Is the rope drop being described at regular opening hours or extra magic early hours? Is one crowd at opening larger than another?
    Mark
    Sheraton World 05/75
    Band trip 01/78
    Sheraton 06/84
    Sheraton 06/87
    Wilson World 06/89
    Comfort Suites 10/89
    Ramada 03/01
    Ramada 04/02
    Ramada 04/03
    Ramada 04/04
    Allstar Movies 06/05
    Vacation Village 06/06
    Pop Century 04/07
    All Star Movies 6/11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crmark1 View Post
    Is the rope drop being described at regular opening hours or extra magic early hours? Is one crowd at opening larger than another?
    It could be used for either. But typically the crowd at regular opening is larger.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

We just experienced this craziness for the first time last week. The tips are perfect. We had one older couple refuse to listen to all the CMs as they headed for those stairs at the Chinese Theater. The CMs would tell them to get back in the line and they would just so NO! Until they got to the stairs. The CMs created a hands linked road block and refused to let the couple through. Man were they mad! I, of course, enjoyed it immensely.

Post Thanks / Like

We did this on our last trip and got the FP first because we had heard they were gone quickly. Then we got into the Standby line. It was a little bit of a wait but we had so much fun (just DH and I) that we were glad we had the FP so we could go again. But, as said above, the FP line skips all the atmosphere. Glad we did the other first. And as a bonus, right across the street is the character photo line inside. You can go in and see all the characters at one time and have pictures taken. The earlier the better before the line gets long.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixiesmimi View Post
    We did this on our last trip and got the FP first because we had heard they were gone quickly.
    They do go quickly, but unless you want to ride again right away, you generally have time to go the standby route first and get fastpasses afterwards. For example, we got in the standby line first at 8:10 a.m. and by the time we got out the fastpass return time was for 11:45 a.m. (this was in early August). That was fine with us, as we were then able to go on Rock'n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror before our return time.

Another observation I forgot to add in my last post--if you send one member of your party to get fastpasses while you get in the standby line when the park opens, it's very possible that you will be too far advanced in the line for them to catch up with you by the time they get them (at least not without garnering a 1000 dirty looks). I saw one guy who was quite irate, talking with his family on the phone. By the time he got their fastpasses, they were already almost up to the front of the standby line, so he missed out on riding it with them on that go-round.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I will avoid this morning mob in the future. I hated the stress of this. We have been lucky enough to ride this on our past few visits, and won't even try very hard to get on this next time. If the wait time is not too long, we'll wait, if the return time for fastpasses works for us, we will do that. If not, we will simply pass on the ride on our next visit. Those mob scenes and I just don't get along! Too stressful!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips! I have been trying to figure out how to work TSM into our usual DHS plan, which used to involve going straight to Sunset Boulevard and getting one FP each for TOT and RnRC for my sister (the rest of us won't touch them), then heading to TGMR for the first ride of the day.
    Do you think we should still do this but bump it all to after one stand-by line trip through TSM, or should I send my sister ahead to do TOT and RnRC while I get FPs for TSM for the whole fam?

Post Thanks / Like

Great tips! Thanks for sharing.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

The cast members are very serious about not letting anyone run to the attraction.

Sometimes I think they enjoy it because it's the only time they are allowed to yell at guests.
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at rope drop yesterday and these tips are great if you want to be one if the first to ride in the morning or if you want to ride twice before lunch, but we did it a little different.

We left the mob and went straight to RnR and walked on then walked over to ToT with a 5 minute wait. By the time we got over to TSM, the FP lines were thined out and we got FPs for 11:45. Not bad really.
    Here you leave Today and enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy

Next Trip-February 5th-16th! Happy V-day to me!

Post Thanks / Like

We did the CM march two straight mornings. First day they made it clear what the rule about staying behind them was, second day not so much.

Funny thing was, at least one of the CMs was the same exact guy who gave the spiel the first time.
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

We went through this process on Jan 27th. It was crazy. We unknowingly followed most of the tips with the exception of getting in line immediately after getting our fastpasses. Part of the problem was that getting our fastpasses was at least a 10 minute ordeal. Little did we know nor did the 3 people in line in front of us realize that the 1st person in our Fastpass line was a tour leader. She proceeded to get about 50 fastpasses for her tourgroup who had given her their tickets while they went off to ride Tower of Terror and Rock and Roll. By the time we got our fatspasses they were for 10:30 AM and the standby line wait was 40 minutes.
    Aug 1974 Fort Wilderness
    Aug 1981 Fort Wilderness
    Oct 1986 Polynesian
    Oct 1992 Beach Club
    Aug 1998 All Star Sports & Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 1999 Grosvenor
    Aug 1999 Beach Club
    Aug 2002 Yacht Club
    Feb 2007 Old Key West
    Jan 2009 Old Key West
    Jan 2010 Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

The Fast Pass situation IS crazy. I think it's worth it to arrive early enough to be in the front of the mob.

You then get to be first to the Fast Pass machines. You can easily ride Toy Story Mania twice in the first hour of the day and ALSO acquire a Fast Pass for another ride in the early afternoon.

The way we usually do it is:

1) Enter with the mob
    2) Get Fast Pass #1
    3) Ride Toy Story Mania immediately using standby line
    4) Leave and ride Rock N Roller Coaster- After we've done this, then our Fast Pass is now "active"
    5) Go back to Toy Story Mania to ride a second time
    6) Get Fast Pass #2
    7) Ride other attractions
    8) Use Fast Pass #2 later in the afternoon

This way we get to ride Toy Story Mania three times in one day with no more than a ten minute wait each time.
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rope Drop Mania

The tips are valid.

The whole set the alarm to get everyone up to make all the necessary transfers and time to go through bag check and turnstiles then up to the rope to wham slam push shove throw your stroller in a pile because if you slow down for a step all the Fastpasses for the whole day will be gone situation is unfortunate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    The cast members are very serious about not letting anyone run to the attraction.

Sometimes I think they enjoy it because it's the only time they are allowed to yell at guests.
    Actually, not really. I know most of the people at TSM don't like Rope Drop because of people getting crazy trying to run past, or run ahead to the ride (and then getting mad when the CMs ask them to stay behind the CMs).

And even then, CMs are technically not supposed to yell at guests.
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

It's still fairly crazy once the mob of people starts moving en masse. Even though nobody can get in front of the cast members, there is still a lot of jostling once the rope is dropped as people practically run to get in front of the slower people pushing strollers as well as those who are there at rope drop and have no real plan regarding where they are heading.

There used to be A LOT of people who would head straight for Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. Now there are only a few who do so. These days, everyone is there early for Toy Story Mania.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for the tips!
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

No problem.

It's actually kind of funny to see the people there first thing in the morning who have one single goal in mind: GET TO TOY STORY MANIA

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: