Quantcast Gentlemen...please give up your seats for kids on bus! - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I stand, unless there are empty seats when we pull away to our final destination. My real concern would be the over-stuffing of buses. It is a safety issue. I will not get on a bus if I would have to stand on the first 1/3 of it. Any sudden stop could be bad news.
    Disney Vacation Club Members: June 2008

Trips to WDW Since May 1996: 28
    Disney Cruises Since May 2007: 5

Trip #29: 01/2012: 5 Nights OKW

Cruise #6: 07/2012: Disney Magic Cruise to Canada

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not so much blame/hate/outrage should be directed at the other riders, but rather at yourself for dragging your kid(s) around when it is so busy? Since when is it someone elses' problem that your kid is tired and you're afraid of them getting hurt? As other posters have commented, rent a car, wait for another bus, leave earlier, there is always another option... take responsibility for your children otherwise they'll grow up blaming the world (or other bus riders) for their problems like you are in this case.

Our last trip to WDW we had a five-month-old and a 2.5 year-old and never had to stand on the buses. Here's the kicker, we were never riding the buses right before a park opened or when a park was closing because (duh!) we have two small children and knew we wouldn't be comfortable standing. We either went really early to the parks, got a coffee (at least at AK) and saw the opening shows or waited a bit and took in some of the sights at the resort before heading out. Even on the monorail we had people offering us their seats but it was more convenient for us to each hold one end of the stroller while standing.

In our experience we had people (WDW staffers and other vacationers) falling over themselves to help us out the entire time we were there. We were really impressed how easy it was to travel with the kids which is why we're going back in October!

Post Thanks / Like

For the most part, I stand anyway. In the few instances where I do take a seat, I would offer it to someone who really needs it regardless of age or gender.

If anyone is concerned about the safety of standing, then they should wait for the next bus. Sure, it would be nice if they were offered a seat, but to feel that they or their children are entitled to a seat is just not right. People should not expect a total stranger to give up the seat they waited in line for just because they don't want to wait for another bus.

Would I automatically give up my seat for a 6 or 8 year old? I don't really know. To be 100% honest, I would probably say no.

Charlie aka wdw dude

4/27-5/1/2010 Beach Club
    10/11-10/15/2010 Boardwalk
    12/9-12/13/2011 Boardwalk
    11/3-11/8/2012 Treehouse Villas/Boardwalk
    12/2-12/8/2013 Boardwalk
    10/25-10/31/2014 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have given up my seat and so has DW. I agree 100% that this should not be gender specific. I would be much more inclined to get up for an elderly or "in need" man than a young able bodied woman.

I have to say though, as someone with hair that has "lightened" over the years, when someone offered me their seat I both appreciated the sentiment and wanted to smack 'em .

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

I have stood many times while visiting. It is common courtesy to let the young and elderly sit if you are able to stand. I do think they load the buses up too much, some standing is ok but not to the point where people can get hurt. There are still some decent people who do offer there seats when needed.

Post Thanks / Like

This post has me torn. I know when I was single, I had no idea how hard it was to have kids and ride the bus.
    I rarely got up for people with young children or pregnant. I fel;t I had every right to the seat as they did.
    Now as a mom. I totally get it and will get up for a family with young children. Especially if the mom is carrying a small child. THat is brutal on the bus.
    But I have to say that in no way do I think people should do it. How can I judge how deserving someone is? you just don't know the situation.
    In the end I think Disney over packs busses. It is just too dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I am going to severly limit my response ~ I tried not to get into this one but . . .

I do agree that courtesy is scarce these days and that is sad.

I also agree that they should limit the party size boarding with an ECV to two or three.

I agree, to a point, about giving up my seat if I deem someone needs it more than I do, but I also find it very hard to be couteous to the same parents and children that have been mashing my ankles/ shins, and running over my feet all day at the park with their strollers with only a token 'sorry', if that.

I'll stop there . . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    ... I also find it very hard to be couteous to the same parents and children that have been mashing my ankles/ shins, and running over my feet all day at the park with their strollers with only a token 'sorry', if that.
    As someone who frequently pilots a stroller through the theme parks, I'd say the same thing about the people who abruptly stop in front of me or walk directly in my way without ever noticing that I'm there.

I can tell you that, for me, anytime I run into someone with one of our strollers it's completely intentional.

Anyway ... I'm sure most people will think I'm old fashioned or living in the 50's or out of touch or whatever, but I was raised to show respect for others.

I give up my seat to women, children, senior citizens, the disabled, or anyone who looks like they need it more than I do for that matter.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually always give up my seat for children, or expecting moms, or moms who are holding babies, or elderly folks. Its just the right thing to do.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the original poster - common courtesy just doesn't seem to be around much anymore. It's almost like every man for himself, or every family anyway. People, the ones who stop right in front of you, or run into with their stroller and don't acknowledge/apologize, kind of have blinder's on when they are in WDW or any other amusement park for that matter. You look out for your own and "drive defensively". I myself always say excuse me and I'm sorry, but a lot of people don't and I think, unfortunately, you have to deal with it and move on. And if someone doesn't get up for you when you really, and obviously, need a seat, just do the best you can. Do I think it's right? No, of course not. Would I get up for someone? Absolutely. Would I be upset if someone didn't get up for me? Probably, but if I had special circumstances I'd find another, more comfortable way. But then I'm also the one who stands back to watch others run onto a ride because they think it's gonna disappear if they don't get there in time.
    "Thank you for choosing Magic Carpet for all your travel needs. Don't stand till the rug has come to a complete stop. Thank you, good bye now, good bye, thank you, good bye..."

1984, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008,
    2010 x 3, 2011 x 3, 2012

Post Thanks / Like

There was a time I was standing on the bus, and because of the driver going a bit fast, I had almost fallen. Nothing said, nothing done. Glad I didn't fall, though. But from then on we never get on a crowded bus. And I've put this in writing/complaint to Disney about packing people in like sardines. I told them I wouldn't allow my daughter to go in the lap of some male stranger! Yes, he told her to come.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some Questions

How can you tell by looking at someone if they are "healthy" enough to give up their seat?

What is the age cutoff for giving up your seat to a child?

What is the age when a child should give up their seat for you?

If a family is travelling together with someone in a wheelchair and they have dinner reservations and the bus is packed why should they split up and miss the reservation because "someone" didn't feel that the family should travel together?

If you are healthy and travelling in a large group can I tell you that you can't all get on the bus together?

I "look" healthy and youngish, I'm not.
    I have a 7 year old nephew who "looks" healthy, he is not, in fact he is eligible for make a wish.... but you would not know it from looking at him.
    Years ago on a bus my son's gave up their seats for women, elderly etc. Once they were very tired but gave up the seat to an older woman who then turned around had her grandchildren (about the same age as my kids take the seats!!!!) My kids were left feeling duped and foolish, while the other kids sat smirking.
    So, when I get a seat on a bus, I'm sitting!
    I'm hot, tired, sore and cranky.
    I do think that disney should not have people standing.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    As someone who frequently pilots a stroller through the theme parks, I'd say the same thing about the people who abruptly stop in front of me or walk directly in my way without ever noticing that I'm there.

I can tell you that, for me, anytime I run into someone with one of our strollers it's completely intentional
    Anyway ... I'm sure most people will think I'm old fashioned or living in the 50's or out of touch or whatever, but I was raised to show respect for others.
    I agree with you about the respect, Ian, I don't know if you happen to notice but I am Canadian. And as the world loves to point out, we are quite well known for apologizing for everything.

I move off the main thoroughfare before I stop, I look behind me to make sure I do not let the door go in someones face and I hold it for them if we're going in, I watch for people taking pictures and avoid stepping in front of them and have often offered to take the picture, so the whole group can be in it.

The point I was making was that consideration, like respect, is a two way street.

Please consider before you decide to 'intentionally' run someone down, that it might not have been their fault but the person in front of them . . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

AAAHHHH - the flashbacks.

I'm a woman and I don't expect anyone to give up their seat for me. I also don't expect my husband to give up his seat to be a "gentleman."

I was raised to be polite and respect people, but there are plenty of ways to do that. Giving up a seat doesn't make someone "polite" or make them a "gentleman." Several factors go into those things.

My husband and I have no children, so we've never had the issue of tired children, but I can say we've been tired and I've been on the receiving end of parents giving me the stink eye for not giving up a seat, but I'm sorry, I've paid just as much money to be there and waited in line just like everyone else, and if I get a seat and I don't feel like giving it up, sorry.

There have been several occasions where we were tired and knew we'd want a seat, so waited for the next bus.

I CHOOSE to go to the park when I'm tired, just like someone else may CHOOSE to go to the park with several children or someone may CHOOSE to go to the park pregnant. Regardless, we all have the same chance of getting a seat on a bus. If you get a seat - great. If not, you shouldn't expect someone else to give their seat up to accommodate your needs.

I wouldn't expect someone to give me their spot on an attraction in the park, so why would I expect them to give up a seat on the transportation?

With that said, I want to mention that I've given up a seat plenty of times, but I don't think it should be expected of me and honestly, I really don't appreciate when it seems to be expected.
    Beth

My other home is Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I have to say I'm dismayed by the quantity of rude and smug posts, mostly coming from those who don't feel they should give up their seat for anyone. Sad.

As for intentionally running into someone with a stroller... sad. If someone would intentionally run into me just because I'm in their way, it would get ugly. Those of us without strollers don't do something rude and obnoxious like that when strollers do the same to us (I mean, what would we do, shove you?), so please don't condone such immature actions.

But, this is not about strollers....

My DH and I rarely sit on the buses. We don't get into the semantics of what is a disability, who "deserves" a seat, how old is too old, how young is too young, is a woman worth giving up a seat for....whatever. We are just respectful people, and and part of that is standing to leave our seats for someone who might really appreciate it. I will say, I think I've only been offered a seat 1 or 2 times in the many trips we've made to WDW.

DH has MS, and gets tired easily anymore, so he would love to sit on the bus ride back to the resort at the end of the day, but he knows he's still healthy enough to leave that seat for someone else like the 80 year old grandma, the toddler, or the mom who is at the end of her rope. He also just feels that..okay, flame suit on...men should give their seat to a lady, no matter her age or health status. Gulp...sounds so 1950's, huh? Well, that's how he is, and I think it's quite nice. He only sits if there are empty seats available.

I just wish people would get over the whole "gender appropriate" thing. Stop trying to sound so politically correct. I'm also sick of hearing people say "you can't tell I'm sick by looking at me", or "I paid just as much as everyone else for this trip, so I will sit", etc. And, no....not everyone pays the same, so just stop it.

I'm sorry I'm ranting a little, but after pages of the same back biting and venom spitting, I'm sick of it. We'll be back in WDW in just 9 days, and we'll be giving up our seats again, and not worrying about if the person we gave it to was deserving enough or not. I can't worry about such petty things.

OP - I am so sorry that you had that incident on the bus, and believe me, you would have had at least two seats made available to you if we were there.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I decided a long time ago that I if I expected everyone else to do things the way I chose to do them, I would be very disappointed. We all just need to live our life and make our decisions in a way we are comfortable with -- 'cause we sure as heck can't control anyone else!!

There was a time people who didn't do what **I** thought they should do upset me, but guess what -- i don't know these strangers, I don't know their story and I don't know what condition their life is in at any given moment. Sometimes you just gotta relax, put a smile on your face cause you are at Disney and realize that sore feet are a given!

The whole "parties boarding with someone in a wheelchair thing".....well, I gotta tell you. If someone lives their life with a disability I don't have and deals with things on a daily basis that I take for granted -- then LET them board a bus with their family. In the long run, I will not be nearly so put out in my fantasy world as they probably are in the real world.

By the way -- I will happily hop up for anyone on the bus. Doesn't bother me at all. However, I have a strong, healthy looking, gorgeous 12 year old son who has a severe disability. He will not be hopping up. If anyone wants to glare at me in anger on a bus over that, glare away.
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

No sure when courtesy went from a favor that a giver can extend to a right a receiver expects.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    No sure when courtesy went from a favor that a giver can extend to a right a receiver expects.
    Well said.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Our twins were 8 their first trip and at no point did I expect someone to give up their seat for them on a bus. We look at it as you are only on there a short while, and we are blessed with healthy children who can stand a bit. That very same trip I had issues associated with my Lupus and the doctor wanted me in a wheelchair and all. I didn't go that route. There was plenty of times I stood on a bus and that was ok. I looked healthy enough and there are people out there in much worse shape than me. I try to just remember the Golden Rule...treat others as you want to be treated. If I was holding a sleeping 4 yr. old It would be nice to sit, so if I see someone in that circumstance I give up my seat. If by chance you give up your seat to someone who really didn't need it look at it as good Karma coming your way...
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS
    2014 April - YC & POR
    2014 Oct - WL & YC
    2014 Dec - PORFQ
    2015 April - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I always give up my seat. I am very caple of riding the bus standing up and I've actually come to enjoy it. I only sit, when there are seats available and no one is standing. I only hope that some day when I can't stand up on the bus anymore, someone offers me a seat.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: