Quantcast Not sure where to stay???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not sure where to stay???

I just booked the plane for Nov 13- Nov 22, 2010, now comes the hard part - We have always stayed at Pop Century, we love it because we know where everything is. This year we were going to try and stay at one of the Port Orleans hotels. Not sure which one - What would be best for 2 adults, a 9 yr old and 3 yr old. I know this may sound stupid, but I am a little nervous about staying in a new place! Please help!
    Oct/Nov 14 - AOA & Pop
    Nov 13 - Pop
    Oct/Nov 11 & 12 - Pop
    Nov 10 - POR
    Nov 09 - Pop
    Aug/Sep 08 - Pop
    May 07 - Pop
    Sept-Oct 06 - Pop
    Oct 04 & 05 - Pop
    93 - 98 - Offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Port Orleans French Quarter is very charming and reminds one of New Orleans. This is a very popular resort and books up quickly so, if you decide to stay here, I'd book sooner rather than later.

Port Orleans Riverside is larger and a bit more spread out but does also offer rooms that include a trundle bed.

The resorts have beautiful grounds and also offer boat service to Downtown Disney.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Either would probably be good, but I personally prefer French Quarter. I bet your kids would enjoy the pool and slide there. I mean it's not everyday that you can slide out of a lizards mouth and into the pool. There is also the alligator band that is neat.

For Mom and Dad it is a nice, small, quaint and kind of romantic resort. I think you will really like it.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Although I've never stayed @ POP, I can give a for POR. It's just DH & me, so we don't mind the wide expanse of the grounds. Last year we traveled w/ families w/ wee ones & they enjoyed FQ very much. The grounds are a little more compact & they thought the pool w/ the sea serpent slide was awesome! But even if you decide toward Riverside, they have a great main pool & you can still go & enjoy FQ's as well. The adults would probably enjoy the atmosphere of the Port Orleans resorts more. Good luck w/ your decision; hope you have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like

Love POFQ - it's a smaller resort and it's great that everything's in walking distance. We also enjoy the boat to DTD.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

My advice is dependent upon a couple of things

1) how tight is your budget
    2) how much time do you actually spend in room or at the resort.

Because if you budget is tight or you spend little time in your room (your more the park commando type), then I would stay at a value. The reality is that your children will probably enjoy the theming of the value more than any of the moderates you mentioned.

The bed/space issues that will begin to come into play more when your kids are a bit older have probably not reared their heads yet (if they have then POR trundle might be a good plan) and thus a move to what we consider the the "deluxe moderate" AKA Coronado springs (with queen beds) is something you can save for a future date.

But anyway...given your listed choices of PO or POP, I'd be inclined to go with POP or one of the All-stars and spend the money I saved each night on my room as a splurge someplace else during my stay.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I like POR a smidge more the POFQ - only because Boatwrights and Bob Jackson are at Riverside. But both hotels are charming and well themed - the share amenities so you can use both pools, they have the boat to DTD, carraige rides, nice walking paths along the river, etc.

They are both pretty easy to navigate so I wouldn't worry about not knowing where things are at first - you'll find everything you need!
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

POR and POFQ have boats to DTD; also POR has a fishin hole! (and all the tools and the half-built boat at the Boatwright's) They're sister resorts - you can do both feature pools, regardless of which of the PO resorts you choose.
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Port Orleans French Quarter is a favorite of mine. I love the charming grounds, especially the dragon themed pool (Your kids would love it!).

This resort has a lovely food court--they sell freshly made beignets...just like down in New Orleans in the French Quarter!

This resort is also smaller, so the walk home after a frantic day in the parks will be much easier...especially since you'll probably be carrying the smallest one!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a POFQ and POR tie for me. Both are great. I like the intimate feel of POFQ and the fact that it is the first bus stop. I love the New Orleans feel to it and the colorful buildings with the wrought iron railings overlooking the Sassagoula. POR is more spread out and has the mansions and the Alligator Bayou sections. It has more quiet pools to choose from and a TS restaurant. The grounds are lush and beautiful. You really can't go wrong with either one. They both have access to each other and the boat to Downtown Disney.
    Beware of hitchhiking ghosts!

Post Thanks / Like

we just love POFQ - it's small so that no matter what building you're in you don't have to walk miles to get to the bus stop, food court, etc., and your kids will love the pool! POR is beautiful but it is absolutely huge!!!

Post Thanks / Like

POFQ. It's much smaller and compact plus it has beignets
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Make the decision easy....heads POFQ, tails POR
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Germantown, TN : 824 miles from the Magic
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak to POFQ, but DW and I stayed in the Mansions at POR last time down and loved it. Beautiful grounds, boat to DTD, nice room. We want to go back with the kids next time. (17, 15 and 11). We're sure they will enjoy it as much as we did.

Be brave, little Piglet. Branching out to another resort will be fun!
    Late '70s - Contemporary
    04/08 - All-Star Music
    09/08 - All-Star Music
    03/09 - All-Star Music
    09/09 - PORS (F&W Fest)
    10/11 - POP (F&W Fest)

Next Trip -- NOT SOON ENOUGH!!!

My laughin' place is a Doom Buggy!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: