Quantcast Haunted Mansion at MK for 4 ys old? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You just never know. I have a then-10 year old who has sat through movies like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings without blinking, and who rides the biggest roller coasters she can get on. BUT Haunted Mansion FREAKED her right out. She barely road, and even then clung to dad whimpering. Over at Universal we tried the Mummy - she would have been FINE with the ride, but the first time through the queuing area she got so wigged out she ran screaming past all the people trying to get IN. It's actually pretty funny looking back on it :-) For the record, the ride that scares me is "Dinosaur" at AK. We should have bought the picture...they snap it just as that big animatronic dinosaur makes a lunge at you. There is my 10 year old, sitting up looking almost bored...and there *I* am, hunched over, clinging to her, and screaming.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my fondest memories of Disneyland was in the Haunted Mansion with a friend and her 5 year old daughter. As we walked from the stretching room, the daughter was starting to cry.

My friend bent down and said quietly to her daughter "Shh..It's okay. This isn't real, someone just made this up."

The daughter replied, for all to hear:
    "Well don't they know it's not nice to scare little kids!!"

I still laugh like crazy remembering that. A 4 year old may find HM a little to scary!
    1978 - Off-site
    1997 - Disneyland
    1999 - Disneyland
    2002 - FW Campground
    2004 - Disneyland Paris
    2005 - Disneyland
    2008 - Disneyland
    2010 - POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

My DSs, 8 and almost 6, love this ride! DS8 has always loved it, I think he was 3 the first time he rode. DS6 (in a week) however did not like the ride the first time he attempted to ride it. I think he was 4 we were at WDW with some friends, we all got in line for HM but I got out to buy something ,of course the line moved quickly and everyone went in,(my friend with four kids, one of them has never ridden before). Well they get started in the stretching room and DS loses it which gets my friend's DD4 crying as well, while my friend is holding both of them! I can imagine the sight that was.
    Anyway DS was afraid of the dark and still is, we have explained that after that part the ride is alot of fun. He has ridden several times since then and agrees! We hold onto him in the dark so that he knows we are there. We try to make it fun by looking at the pictures as well.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We took our son when he was 3 and he loved it and watched everything as we passed by. We went again when he was 4 and he pretty much kept his head buried for about half the ride. However, once we were off the ride he talked about how "cool" it was...lol i think it depends on the child and the mood they are in at the time.
    "Please stand clear of doors, por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas. The monorail will be departing NOW!"

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was a bit afraid at some parts especially the first part in the lobby! After that he was better, love the hitch hiking ghost Our 3 year old liked it from the word go, I guess the difference between boys and girls. We'll see who does better in May at 6 1/2 and 3 3/4's
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Post Thanks / Like

Is she scared of the dark? Does she have any other "fears" that might be issues?

My kids both rode this ride at DL many times before they were 3, but then once they each turned around 3 and a half, it became a "banned" ride by them. They won't go on it now (they are 5.5 and almost 4). Both boys. The little one is afraid of EVERYTHING lately (this is a new phase) and was also completely freaked out by POTC a couple months ago (he had ridden it about 10 times prior to that).

So, what I'm saying is, even if a ride isn't inherently "scary" in the typical fashion, it can scare a 4 year old, simply due to that being an age where lots of fears make their appearance in their lives.

Proceed with caution. The stretching room part is pretty terrifying for kids. Complete darkness. LOUD thunder, lightning crack and then the skeleton that's hung from the ceiling being illuminated...if anything, distract her during this part.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think we will just stick to Fantasyland rides for our girls then. Nothing like riding Small World 10 times! LOL
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

We took our 4 yr old son on it last spring and he loved it. He cannot wait until this spring to ride it again.

I really I liked it as well when I was young. Believe it or not, I was petrified of Pirates. I rode that ride with my head in my mom's lap until I was about 6 or 7 .
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eandrsmom View Post
    We took my daughter on it when she was 3. We tried making light of the ride, saying that it was all pretend. IT DID NOT WORK. She HATED it. To this day, she refuses to ride. (She's nine now.) My son had no problems. It just depends on the child.
    Ditto for us. DD 11 went on this ride with me when she was 5. She is VERY adventurous - doesn't have a problem with any other ride, and, except for ToT, she's gone on them all. She WILL NOT go back on HM. She was fine with the actual ride, but the hitchhikers at the end completely freaked her out. She even had bad dreams that night (and there is just something wrong about bad dreams at WDW). We haven't taken our 5yo DS on it yet, because, really, with all the other great stuff to do, why risk ruining the mood?
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

Again, depends on the child. If you explain to the child that the HM is a bit scary, but in a fun way. Just explain that none of the ghosts can hurt her in any way.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Liverpool, England 4210 miles away from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

When we next go our kids will be aged four and a half and two and a half and I want to take them on this ride. The youtube thing is a really good idea, I've already started showing my DD (who's 2) some of the things we will see. I was watching MK opening ceremony this morning and my DD came running over saying "here comes the choo choo mummy!". She's well trained.
    Three week extravaganza at OKW August '14 :)

Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

Post Thanks / Like

My 6 year old who is the scariest of my 3 has riden it almost everytime we have gone to MK. She will say she is scared of it until we are in the park then she ask us when she we are going to ride HM.
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We took our 4 yeard old DD on it last october during halloween and she loved it. We played the music for her over and over the weeks leading up to the trip so all she could think about is "hearing the funny ghost sing that song".

July 2001--FW
    Christmas 2005--Offsite
    Oct 2007--GF
    May 2008--Pop
    Oct 2009--Poly
    Oct 2010--BW
    Nov 2010--CS
    Nov/Dec 2011--BW
    Feb 2012--GF
    April 2012--AS
    Sep 2012--WL
    April 2013--Fantasy (eastern carribean)
    Sep 2013-SS
    Sep 2014-Fantasy (western carribean)
    Jan 2015-CS
    May 2016-Fantasy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Depends

My 4 year old (he was 2 when he went on the "ghost ride" as he calls it) loves the ride. He was scared the first time he went on it, but we made him go anyway (I know bad parent ) After he got through the queue he was fine. Got off the ride when it was over and wanted to go again, and again. Depends on how your child is around "scary things". We made it a game the first time we rode it (he likes Jack Skellington from Nightmare before Christmas). We kept asking him to try and find "Jack" when we were on the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless your child is particularly scared of horror or anything, they should be absolutely fine. Although admittedly I'm almost too scared to go on it, and I'm 16. The horror is more cute rather than terrifying, however, so it's more to do if they're scared of the dark, or sudden noises.
    May/June 1998
    May/June 2001
    October 2004
    August/ September 2010
    All Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the kids. My girls, age 8 and 10 have NEVER ridden it. I have tried and tried and tried. I can't get them even into the entrance. At 4, they would have been too scared.
    MK 1980 FOUR hours(July & 105) * Nov 04 POLY.. with my 2 princesses *Nov 05 Contemporary *Nov 06 split stay Cont/POFQ , making memories with my 21 yr old neice who has cancer. Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007 :(
    Nov 07 WL *Nov 08 VWL *Nov 09 Bay Lake Tower WDW/DC/SW/DCL*April 2011 B2B Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

My youngest girls were 3 and 4 when we first rode on it with them. They loved it -- and I believe that it was because we talked about how "fun" it was going to be and how "silly" the ghosts were. We knew that the stretching room would go black for a few seconds, so we told them it would happen and we held them. Yes, I agree that it also depends on the personality of the child...some kids are just more scared than others, but it's also dependent on your outlook. Good luck deciding.
    1998 Caribbean Beach
    2002, 2003 Off Property
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 PO Riverside
    2009 :(
    2010, 2012, 2016 Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

We first rode this when my daughter was 4 and my son was 6.5. They both loved it. It is a fun ride. More funny scary than scary scary .

I agree it is dark, but not pitch black. Worst case you try it once and they don't go back on.
    CBR (Martinique Bldg 25): April 2006
    CBR (Jamaica Bldg 45): October 2007
    POR (Alligator Bayou 18): March/April 2010
    POP: (70s, Building 6): September 2010
    POP: (70s, Building 6): September 2011
    POFQ: September 2013
    POFQ: September 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie-mouse View Post
    Nothing like riding Small World 10 times! LOL
    Too funny. My husband cannot stand Small World. I have to say it is a little painful. It is a classic and we must ride once each trip. Funny thing is the ride is closed during our upcoming trip. My husband is so disappointed .
    CBR (Martinique Bldg 25): April 2006
    CBR (Jamaica Bldg 45): October 2007
    POR (Alligator Bayou 18): March/April 2010
    POP: (70s, Building 6): September 2010
    POP: (70s, Building 6): September 2011
    POFQ: September 2013
    POFQ: September 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie-mouse View Post
    Nothing like riding Small World 10 times! LOL
    So instead of scaring them, you're going to torture them? Boy, you are awfully cruel.
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: