Quantcast opinions on travel times from resort to parks w/ our own car??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default opinions on travel times from resort to parks w/ our own car??

We will be staying at AKL and will have our car. In previous trips we never went out ealry and returned to the resort to swim. Once we left on Disney transportation it did not seem worthwhile to us to spend the time to go back to the resort and then back to the parks in the same day.

However, this time we will have our car and it will be HOT as it will be August!

Realistically, any input on the travel times to and from the parks with your own car? I see that AK, DHS and Epcot are close to AKL.

Any advice on parking and getting in the parks? and how long it takes to get parked and in and out of the parks.

If it does not take too long to go to and from the parks form the resorts we may take a midday break.

Also, are the AAA diamond parking passes worthwhile?
    May 2007 - CBR 6 nights
    Dec 2008 - CSR 8 nights
    Aug 2010 - AKL 5 nights /Sports 3 nights
    Aug 2011 - Pop 9 nights

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any input on AAA parking.

You won't be doing yourself any favors driving to MK because you have to park at the TTC parking lot, take the tram over, then monorail or boat to the MK.

Drive times to and from the other 3 parks can save you time and it would be worth your while to take that afternoon break. The earlier in the morning you get there, the closer to the main gate you park and walking to the front will be less than a few minutes (if that). Enjoy!
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I go every year and get a car regardless of whether we're staying on property or not just because we do the same thing, take a break in the middle of the day.

Well worth it to not have to wait around and be at the mercy of provided transportation.

Post Thanks / Like

Travel times with my GPS have generally been 10 min or less to any park, and that's traveling from the All-Stars, Pop, and POFQ.

As for the AAA parking, at Epcot and DAK it's nice and fairly close (though the tram drops you off a good bit closer). At DHS and MK it's not really a big deal and actually makes for a further walk than if you used the regular parking and rode the tram. On a really hot day that extra walking across the parking lot can seem to take forever. Even at Epcot on crowded days the AAA parking will mean more of a walk than taking the tram. My AAA office will give me the pass without booking through them. If it came down to using Magical Journeys or booking through AAA just for the parking, I'd take MJ in a heartbeat every time.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

When we stayed at AKL it was August and very hot weather, we took the buses everywhere and never had to wait very long for a bus. Also the buses were never crowded and we always had a seat.

I'm not trying to talk you into taking the bus or anything, it's just that the bus at AKL was one of the best services we've had. We would come back to the resort every afternoon for a couple of hours too.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

You can only get AAA parking if you purchased your package from AAA...you don't get to park there if you have AAA insurance.
    The bus is closer to get than the trams or the parking lot...and always airconditioned and never have to jump into a hot, hot, hot vehicle to drive and find a parking space and then turn around and do the same thing...the bus is convenient and quick...but it's your choice. I would always go back for a swim every day.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

We even used our own car from AKL to the MK the last time we stayed there. We had a stroller and didn't want to have to fold it up on the bus. The trip from there to the MK is not bad at all, and even having to catch a monorail to the TTC over is no problem. We always came back from there to the AKL for mid-day breaks.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    You can only get AAA parking if you purchased your package from AAA...you don't get to park there if you have AAA insurance.
    That seems to depend on the local office. My AAA office gives me the parking pass without booking through them. I can't get the diamond discount card without booking through them, but I can get the parking pass.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    You won't be doing yourself any favors driving to MK because you have to park at the TTC parking lot, take the tram over, then monorail or boat to the MK.

this is easy as me and dw always rent a car and drive to everything,the times aren't bad at all 10-15 min tops, as far as Magic Kingdom parking, goto to the Polynesian Resort, when u get to the gate say ur there to eat , once the gaurd lets u threw park in a spot then go up stairs to the monorail station and ur off to the mk this will eliminate the trams. and this is also good for when u leave the park because this could be a nightmare when u do leave, goto the resort side of the monorail system and it will take u back to the poly. even though me and dw do have dinner ressie, this shouldn't matter as they don't check.

hope this helps

victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightyearfan View Post
    goto to the Polynesian Resort, when u get to the gate say ur there to eat , once the gaurd lets u threw park in a spot then go up stairs to the monorail station and ur off to the mk this will eliminate the trams.
    victor
    This is specifically not allowed. Resort parking is for resort guests only except for 3 hours max for eating, as Disney policy very specifically states. Also, Intercot TOS does not allow discussions which encourage cheating the system.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

I would use your car to go the the AK park- no waiting for a bus, or sharing with Kidani. I would not drive to MK. Your car will be great if you are having dinner at the Poly, WL, or CR.
    It is 10-15 minutes from AKL to WL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    This is specifically not allowed. Resort parking is for resort guests only except for 3 hours max for eating, as Disney policy very specifically states. Also, Intercot TOS does not allow discussions which encourage cheating the system.
    sorry! didn't mean to offend, you talk about that im cheating the system, well we went to MVMCP which is fantastic, and as you know we paid extra for it, the parade, special fireworks are fantastic, me and dw went on our last day bk to mk, and there was no xmas party for that night when we saw that the fireworks show which was suppoesed to be just for the party was being done , guess what i felt cheated, that we paid extra $$ for something that was being done without the party, because the way that WDW made it sound, was that these were special events were just for the party, and if im not mistaken, the twas the night before xmas stageshow was also being played and this too was taughted as just a xmas party thing, and i know that it's only for resort guests, and we do stay on property,so i don't see the harm, one time the gaurd even told us that we could leave our car and goto the mk, and my room key did work the other side of the security gate when there were other cars in frt of us and i didn't feel like waiting cause it was taking too long and we were going to be late for our dinner reservations.

victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

sorry! didn't mean to offend
    Not a problem. That's why we put out the reminders. As moderators we can't really have a "gray" area. We go by what the official policy is and WDW's official policy, whether we like it or not, is that resort parking is only for those staying at that resort. Therefore, we won't allow discussion of ways around that or of ignoring the policy.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

sorry! didn't mean to offend, you talk about that im cheating the system, well we went to MVMCP which is fantastic, and as you know we paid extra for it, the parade, special fireworks are fantastic, me and dw went on our last day bk to mk, and there was no xmas party for that night when we saw that the fireworks show which was suppoesed to be just for the party was being done , guess what i felt cheated, that we paid extra $$ for something that was being done without the party, because the way that WDW made it sound, was that these were special events were just for the party, and if im not mistaken, the twas the night before xmas stageshow was also being played and this too was taughted as just a xmas party thing, and i know that it's only for resort guests, and we do stay on property,so i don't see the harm, one time the gaurd even told us that we could leave our car and goto the mk, and my room key did work the other side of the security gate when there were other cars in frt of us and i didn't feel like waiting cause it was taking too long and we were going to be late for our dinner reservations.

victor
    You really shouldn't feel cheated by others seeing the fireworks. Do you realize how many ppl outside the parks regularly see the fireworks?

One evening (on a MNSSHP) we were coming from dinner at 'Ohana. We monorailed over to the MK to catch the bus back to our resort. When we reached the MK the "special" fireworks had just begun so we sat outside the gates to watch. In fact, you can go to any of the monorail resorts and watch the fireworks for free. Traveling home, late one evening, I saw the fireworks from the toll road. That's just the way it is.

A CM telling someone to "break" the rules, doesn't authorize the offense. If you were not aware of this policy, I can see where the confusion lies. Periodically, the reminder needs to be stated.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    You really shouldn't feel cheated by others seeing the fireworks. Do you realize how many ppl outside the parks regularly see the fireworks?

One evening (on a MNSSHP) we were coming from dinner at 'Ohana. We monorailed over to the MK to catch the bus back to our resort. When we reached the MK the "special" fireworks had just begun so we sat outside the gates to watch. In fact, you can go to any of the monorail resorts and watch the fireworks for free. Traveling home, late one evening, I saw the fireworks from the toll road. That's just the way it is.

A CM telling someone to "break" the rules, doesn't authorize the offense. If you were not aware of this policy, I can see where the confusion lies. Periodically, the reminder needs to be stated.
    granted but when im paying in excess of 120 im going to feel cheated, im not a first timer and realize that u can see the fireworks from parking lots and outside, u don't get to hear the music thats being played and the sound effects that are also being played so it's not the same when ur watching it from the outside, and no i didn't know about the parking from resort to resort, maybe the cm's and gaurds should make this clearer. i also don't want to make this an overblown thing so no more comments from me about it, this is my opion and how i feel.

victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

no i didn't know about the parking from resort to resort, maybe the cm's and gaurds should make this clearer.
    That is a complaint many of us have had. "Rules" tend to be very sporadically enforced, unfortunately. Whether the CM's don't know the rules or just don't want to enforce them (or both) I don't know, but it can definitely make things confusing for the guests.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with others and will say my average time from resorts to parks was 10 minutes. (any park to any resort for the most part in my experiences) That sure beats waiting in an un-airconed bus stop.

Someone also mentioned not using a car for MK because you still had to ride the monorail. really? is this a bad thing?

I never say never, but I don't think I'll ever use the buses again. Driving is just faster, more comfortable, gives you more options and is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Default When to use your car within the world

The only time that we use the car is to travel to downtown disney. Otherwise Disney Transportation works just fine

To Disney World from Canada every chance we get.

Post Thanks / Like

In "The Unofficial Guide..." there is a chart that gives a breakdown of the times to all the parks (water parks and DTD included) for driving vs. Disney Transportation. These times include the time to get to the toll booth, park, and transfer (tram or monorail) to the entrance. I won't post all the details, but they give you average and (worst case) times for each...

Example:
    Pop Century to MK -- Your Car [YC]: 40 (51) vs. Disney System [DS]: 31 (41)
    PC to EP -- YC: 23 (28) vs. DS: 27 (38)
    PC to DHS -- YC: 20 (24) vs. DS: 25 (35)
    PC to AK -- YC: 14 (16) vs. DS: 30 (42)
    PC to TL -- YC: 12 (14) vs. DS: 46 (61)
    PC to DTD -- YC: 15 (16) vs. DS: 37 (49)
    PC to BB -- YC: 10 (12) vs. DS: 47 (62)

Big differences going to MK - because DS stops just outside the gates where YC has to park at TTC and catch the monorail in. Otherwise, it looks like YC is always quicker.

On a personal note: I will still always take DS because I do not want the stress of driving when I am on vacation!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely agree that Disney transportation is faster going to MK, but it does NOT take me 40 min to get from Pop to MK. In fact, all of those numbers are way inflated as to what it actually takes me. The longest drive I've had has been 15 min and that's from pulling out of the resort to parking. Maybe those numbers are for a high crowd day instead of an average. The Disney numbers look about right if you count the time you spend waiting for the bus to arrive before you actually get on.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: