Quantcast How often is too often?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How often is too often?

OK, I realize this may not be the best place for this question since we all really enjoy Disney I'm curious, though... how often do you think is too often to go to Disney? Does it lose any of the "magic" for you and your family by going frequently? We are pondering our next return and trying to figure out the best spacing of trips. Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

P.S... I'd go as often as possible, but DH prefers moderation.

Post Thanks / Like

If you find yourself reading and posting on Intercot, you know it's time to schedule a trip.

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no such thing as too often, IMHO.

While my boys were growing up we went once a year for about 10 days...they never said they didn't want to go and we always had a great time..it is the one place we found where we ALL had a great time!!! Other vacations were stressful because it was so hard to please different likes and dislikes...everyone loves WDW.

With that said, my boys are now in their last years of college and don't really have time for mom and family trips every year so I have been going by myself and LOVE IT!!!!! It is so relaxing and wonderful. I have taken to going 3 times a year and am leaving Sunday for my 4th trip this year...I know, I know...it's an addiction.

I will say that we just planned a family trip for May 2011 and we are ALL excited....and so the planning begins....we skyped a family meeting over the weekend to discuss must do ADR's as 180 days will occur while I'm in WDW next week.

Bottom line...it's a personal choice so I would say there is no "too often"...just "too long of a wait"!!!!
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

I NEVER thought I would say enough is enough but after our trip in April, I need a break. We go at least every other year but have gone the last 3 years in a row.

Even my kids 10 and 7 want a break.

Sad but true.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile What Is Too Often

Hmmm...we have gone at least once every year since 1991. Sometimes twice a year...a few years 3 times.
    This year we went for a week in January, my wife & I went for a long weekend in May to celebrate our 35th anniversary, then we went for 10 days in August.
    Thursday evening we fly down for a long weekend to celebrate our daughter's 21st birthday.
    If we get to the point where we think we are going to often, I will let you know.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been going every year since I was a toddler in 1979. It's just like a thing I have to do every year - kind-of like Christmas. It's just something that we know is coming every year and plan around it! I wouldn't say that's too often for myself. If I had my way, and lived a little closer, I'd be there about 10 times I year I figure!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOJoe View Post
    If you find yourself reading and posting on Intercot, you know it's time to schedule a trip.
    OMG! This is so true!!!!

My DH puts his foot down after two years in a row and I'm required to take a break. I think it does make it more exciting after you haven't been for a few years. Butterflies-in-the-belly exciting!!!!!
    Aug. 2017 - Disney Wonder Alaska
    Jan. 2017 - All-Star Sports
    Nov. 2015 - Contemporary
    Feb, 2014 - Disney Magic Cruise
    Sept. 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. 2011 - CSR
    Oct. 2008 - AKL and Contemporary
    Mar. 2004 - Disneyland
    Sept. 2002- Poly/Cruise
    Sept. 2001 - AKL
    Dec. 1995 - POR Honeymoon

Post Thanks / Like

We fequently head to Disney. It's one of my two most favorite places to vacation! In May, I bought an annual pass and by time it expires, it's my plan to have 4 trips to Disney on this pass.

No, I've not gotten tired of Disney. I find each trip is different and try to ensure we do new and different things each trip.

For example, we recently Dined With An Imagineer - new for us! We recently stayed at Bay Lake Tower - new to us! Last year, we did the Segway Tour - new to us!

We also try new dining experiences. Changing things up keeps it fresh for us!

Also, we feel good about taking Disney at a more relaxed pace - more time at our resort and more time to "smell the roses" as it was!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We go about once a year--but I usually add in a cruise every year or two to give DH a little variety. He enjoys Disney a lot, but I think he wouldn't enjoy it as much if we went more than once a year.
    So, I am happy with my annual trip. Glad Intercot is here to vent and talk about Disney. Our college age son is a Disney fanatic too, so I have someone to share in the planning and Disney excitement. We used to live in So. Cal and he went to Disneyland for the first time when he was 4 months old.

Too much for my husband would be twice a year.
    Too much for me would probably be more than three times a year. Now if I lived closer--like we did in So. Cal., I'd probably go 4 or more times a year.
    June 29-July 5th-Shades of Green
    Sep 2013-Port Orleans FQ
    Dec 2010 Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 Pop Century
    Sep 2008 POFQ
    Sep 2006 POFQ
    SOG Dec 2006
    April 2002 All Star
    May 1998 SOG
    June 1993 POFQ
    Disneyland-numerous times since 1966 (Last time-Jul 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

For me there is no such thing as too often. I am lucky enough to be driving distance to Disneyland. DD and I are there almost every Saturday. We missed a couple of weeks and I was having withdrawls.

I went by myself this past Saturday, since DD was at at girl scout camp. I went on a few of my favorite attractions. Saw my DVC guide, and then took a holiday tour. It was fun and I really enjoyed the tour. I also love doing some Christmas shopping.

As far as loosing the magical experience... no. After the tour we were seated in front of Small World for the Christmas Parade. It was so magical when they turned on the lights.

My friend and I got to see the castle lighting from Main Street. It started to snow during that ceremony.. pure magic. I really felt giddy, like a little kid.

As for WDW, I am now in the position to do several trips between now and August. I don't think it will lose that magical experience. We return from WDW (in Dec) on a Wednesday... guess where we will be on Saturday
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't go to WDW more than once a year. But, I do like to go every year...

Now, DisneyLAND...well, all bets are off there. I go about every week, and never get tired of it!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone is different, so for many they could go multiple times a year and love it every time. Others go multiple times per year and seem to complain more and more. I fall into the 'distance makes the heart grow fonder' crowd, I think taking some time between trips and seeing other places is the way to go.

I'm sure I would have had fun as a kid going to Disney every year, but I would have missed out on seeing the national parks, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier and others. Disney is a pretty fun place, but I wouldn't trade any of those trips for a hundred Disney vacations.

If a family can afford to do them all, frequent Disney trips, frequent other trips, then by all means, go. If they're going to Disney to the exclusion of experiencing other places I'm not sure that develops much of an appreciation for the diversity in this land of ours.

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone about 3 times per year for the last 4 years. It's been about 6 months since my last trip, and I'm kind of freaking out I miss it so much!

I do go other places as well, but no matter what, I always find my way back to wanting to see .
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

We've been going every 9 - 12 months and it never seems to get old.

However, with all the rehabs and new construction going on, I think we are going to hold off until at least late 2012 before going back.

Don't know what we are going to do in the interim......Probably go through major bouts of withdrawal!!!!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends upon the person, we typically go about once every three years and my mom and sister said they are about burned out....however if it were up to me and my son and we could afford it we would go once a year

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I could go every year, but my family would burn out. They like to go every other year or more. We mix other vacations in between Disney years. I think when it's just the husband and me at home, though (next year, empty nest!), I will convince him to go once a year during F & W Fest.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Being an AP holder it's too easy to plan trips. From last Thanksgiving to this year I visited 10 times some weekend solo trips and some with DH I even visited before I met friends on vacation in the Caribbean! I am thinking about taking a hiatus but then I think about Halloween and Thanksgiving and before you know it I am booking flights!
    If you can dream it, you can do it ...Horizons
    **Been there, done that at Disney!!!**
    Next Trip:
    Post Mother's Day trip May 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We started out thinking we'd be an "every few years" kind of family... we took our girls for the first time in '06 when they were 4 and 7. The next year, my DH and I went by ourselves for a long wknd... and the addiction began in earnest!! We've been every year since, this year being the only one we've missed... our choice, as we had house projects that had to take priority.

But -- that being said... I really started getting antsy and going through withdrawals the last few weeks, as it's been a year since we were there, esp. with the F&W Fest/MNSSHP going on, as those are favorites of ours... and so a girlfriends' trip in January that was a "possible trip" became a reality, as I told my DH I had hit my limit on how long I could be away. Our next trip isn't until August, and I think he knew it was futile to try & live with me w/o a Disney fix until then.

I did have one time when I had two trips in 6 weeks... following our Christmas trip in '08, I had my first "girlfriends wknd away" in January. I thought it might be a bit much when we planned it, but in all actuality, I found leaving Disney in December a LOT easier, knowing I'd be back in 6 weeks... and b/c it was a totally different kind of trip, it was just as exciting.

So... I guess for me, at least once a year is a "necessity"... more than that is a treat, and anything beyond that would be a luxury, and possibly too much. But hey, I'd love to give it a shot...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with pp. Almost the exact way our family
    did. We went with DS for his birthday and we fell in love with the magic! We went back he following year with the whole family including DD and my parents. That same year DH and I went to f&w and go back twce a year since. We didn't go this year because I was pregnant, we thought no big deal we got it out of our system for a while but a few months ago we stqtrted to get the itch and booked January! Hooray! DH actually mentioned it first believe it or not.
    Cassi
    1987 on site and Disney cruise
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Sept.28- Oct.4 2008 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    January 2009 Bonnet Creek
    Sept 28 - Oct. 4 2009 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ
    Coming Soon! Feb. 12-19 2012 CBR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: