Quantcast Does anyone know why lines are so long for January?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone know why lines are so long for January?

Mini trip report and just wondering why it was so tough to get on almost anything...

Just got back from a one day trip yesterday. We hit MK in the AM and Epcot in the PM. Once inside MK, we headed to Aladdin, because our two year old daughter LOVES it. Line was not too bad. From there, headed over to POTC and the line extended out of the building, just opposite Pirate and Perico. Next was BTMR, which we Fastpassed. Splash is apparently in refurb, line for HM was unreal, so we walked through Fantasyland and over to Tomorrowland. As we neared the Speedway, I remarked to my wife that I cannot recall the last time that I saw the line queue all the way out of the building and two lines deep outside. The line for SM was all the way back to Buzz and Buzz's line was snaked back and forth and extended over towards COP.

We ended up going over to EPCOT and the lines didn't seem so bad. Our only disappointment was that we got there after all Soarin' FPs were given out and the line was 90 minutes long! We chose not to wait, and found other places to go.

The crazy thing is that with all of the long lines, the park did not seem that crowded! We have been to all parks at all times of the year before, so we definitely know what mid-January is like, crowd-wise.

Does anyone have any insight into the long lines in January?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this weekend is Martin Luther King weekend, and is traditionally a busy weekend. Fri. night pirates and HM were basically walk on.

Post Thanks / Like

Two reasons: First, this is MLK weekend and a lot of folks come in for short trips for that since they have Monday off.

Second: January has become VERY popular with South American tour groups, especially from Brazil, since this is their big summer vacation from school.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Are they running the rides at full capacity? Two queues for POTC? Both stretching rooms for HM? Staffing has a lot to do with the lines...

Not saying it's not busy. Having gone one year on MLK weekend, I too was surprised at the crowds, but I don't recall unusually long waits. Im also accustomoed to going in July, so lines are really not a problem...

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, aware of MLK weekend and yes, we did see several South American tours.

I was just wondering if there were any other reasons for the really long lines.

Thanks, guys...

Post Thanks / Like

We just returned last night from spending the last week there. I must say I thought it was just as crowded as being there for the F&W Festival & Halloween time. When we arrived on Jan 8th it was crowded due to Marathon weekend. Wait times were quite long too. Toy Story ride at DHS was at 110 minutes & the Tower of Terror was 75. Soarin at Epcot was 90 min or more, Test Track was at 60 min, At Space Mountain was also at 50. We passed on the usual long wait for Peter Pan at over an hr. This weekend being MLK the crowds were the same but did notice many many Brazilian tour groups. Also there were some local school 5th graders taking field trips late in the week as well. Jan is no longer a slow time to goto Disney but I dont think there is a slow time to go anymore. I read in another post that she saw 18 Brazilian tour flags all with fastpasses cramming in the fastpass line for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I too saw that the fastpass lines were sometimes just as long as the standby lines
    DVC Member as of 11/09 BLT!!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site
    2002 All-Star Movies Resort
    2007 (Oct) Port Orleans French Quarter
    2008 (Nov )1 night at POP
    2008 (Nov) Old Key West Resort
    2011 (Jan) BLT 2 room suite!!!
    2011 (Oct/Nov) BLT 1 bedroom suite
    2012 (Oct) BLT 2 room suite :-)

Post Thanks / Like

This makes me so sad! The week after the marathon used to be THE BEST week to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Add Martin Luther KIng Weekend, the Marathon, short staffing, Tour Groups, and all the discounts together and it will equal larger crowds and longer lines.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

There just aren't that many truly slow times left anymore. Disney has done a brilliant job at adding special events and luring in groups during the traditionally slow times of the year to help level out attendance.

I'm not shocked at all that it was crowded, especially considering that A. Saturdays are pretty much always crowded and B. it's a holiday weekend.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still holding out for September. It was still pretty empty this past year.

Post Thanks / Like

Well most people think I'm crazy but I can't wait for Free Dining and all the other promotions to be cut back so it goes back to somewhat normal again!
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    It was pretty crowded when we were there in September of '09, although we were there a bit later in the month. I think that first week is the best.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    We're going this weekend, but for longer in Sept. See you there!
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmee View Post
    We're going this weekend, but for longer in Sept. See you there!
    Yes, the first few weeks are great. School is back in session and Halloween parties haven't started yet. If you like just plain old Disney World (no parties, festivals going on), it's a great time to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Very happy to hear that. We arrive the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. I realize the first couple of days might be a little busy but hoping the rest of the week is really, really quiet.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember a Saturday being anything but busy, regardless of what time of year you go. I've read some tour planning guides that say Saturday is a great day to be at the MK. WRONG. It's crowded everywhere on Saturdays.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! Do you think it will lighten up a little in a week or so? We're coming down on the 28th for a long weekend and I was hoping for smaller crowds. We were there in mid-September and it was fine - how does January compare to September?
    Lisa
    Next: Beach Club, January 2013
    BWI, January 2011
    Dolphin, September 2010
    Dolphin, April 2009
    BWI, December 2008
    Contemporary, December 2007
    Contemporary, December 2006
    AS Music, December 1995
    Travel Lodge (Hotel Plaza), April 1994
    Off site, Spring 1984
    Off site, Summer 1974

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Well most people think I'm crazy but I can't wait for Free Dining and all the other promotions to be cut back so it goes back to somewhat normal again!
    I just don't see that happening.....If they find that they can draw more people in with promos like that, and with building more resorts/dining areas/etc., I can see the money crunchers at Disney keeping it up, to the point of saturation -- where people have been there so often that they, finally, get tired of it and stay away.

If, and/or when, these promos STOP bringing in the guests, then they will stop offering them, not before. Remember, the money crunchers equate more bodies on property to increased spending and increased profits!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

We were incredibly disappointed in the long lines and crowds. We were there the 5th -11th. I have never seen lines so long. And, I couldn't stand to be at DHS it was so bad. We went on a non EMH, non Fantasmic day and we couldn't walk through them all.

I also was unhappy to still be hearing Christmas music on January 11th. Our first day, it was a nice surprise, since we've never seen the decorations, but we were definitely done after 7 days of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with the previous poster! We were there the 4th - 11th, and we've never seen mobs like there were this year. The tour groups were the absolute worst I've ever seen, and the lines at DHS were so crazy, that we just left. It was miserable. And we got there for rope drop!

Now I'm trying to figure out the 1st week of Feb for next year. I can't do these crowds again!
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: