Quantcast commuting to work - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

From 2000 to 2006, DH's commute was 40 miles one way, which took anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours depending on the time of year. His route home was up a major expressway, which is also the route "up north". During the summer, especially on Friday afternoons, it could take 3 hours to get home.

In 2006, we moved about 3 miles away from his job. That's been great - less gas, more time at home for him, etc.

Since I'm a stay-at-home mom, my commute is 0!
    Tammy

8/78, 5/88, 3/90, 3/94 - WDW - Off-Site
    5/86, 7/91, 3/99 - DL - Off-Site
    10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    7/01 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #1
    2/02 - WDW - WL
    7/03 - WDW - Poly - surprise b-day trip
    12/04 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #2
    1/06 - WDW - Poly - surprise 6th b-day for DD

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDog View Post
    Sylvia, I can understand why you would want to live in West Chester. It's beautiful there. My husband went to WCU and has taught the marching band there. We're about 40 minutes from there. We go there a few times a year to walk around and enjoy.
    I've always loved history. The historical area in Philadelphia has always been my favorite part of the city. I grew up a block away from Independence Hall.

I never realized until I moved to West Chester that Chester County was also founded by William Penn. So, even though I've moved from Historic Philadelphia, I'm now living in Historic West Chester. And, I agree with you. West Chester is beautiful. I love the brick sidewalks and the small town atmosphere with big city conveniences.

Does your husband still teach the WCU marching band? I'm a parade nut from way back and I thought the Halloween and Christmas Parades were fantastic. The WCU marching band was one of the highlights in each parade; they are terrific.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Through ten years in the Navy, I always tried to live as close to the base as possible. The longest commute was about twenty minutes.

Later, after getting out, I was a CG spouse. The wife's commute was a bit longer at a couple of places. Her last station had her on the road constantly traveling to communication towers (cell phone towers) out in the boonies and spending overnight many times, but she was paid well for it.

Now, my commute is about twenty minutes, but it does take me across a bay bridge and through a tunnel so the traffic can be horrendous. The wife? Her commute is down the stairs to her sewing room or the couch.
    DD is headed back this summer for a 2nd tour as a CP Intern!
    Time to renew our annual passes.

Last trip was Mar 2015
    Next trip is Aug 2015
    Began with day trips in 70's
    Too many trips to count

Post Thanks / Like

I am less than mile from work, I can make it from door to door in 7 mins if traffic lights are with me...but it always takes me more time to get home (more left hand turns). One of the reasons I took this job was the fact it was so close - I am saving a bundle of gas from my former commute which was 45 minutes.

Sometimes, it takes me longer to find a parking space then to actually drive to work.
    Candi, the Pooh fanatic!

4/2010 - Pop Century
    9/2005 - Pop Century
    1/2005 - Pop Century
    1/2004 - Offsite
    1/2001 - Offsite
    9/2000 - Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon
    5/1983 - Offsite
    Disneyland - 1980,1981,1982

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pretty awesome commute -- when it's nice out I will walk and it takes about 20 minutes from my apartment to my office downtown. If I take the bus it takes about 10 minutes or so depending on the red lights. I love not having a car and really using public transport -- it's one of the best parts of Seattle!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

My commute is about 4.5 miles - 10 minutes. DH used to work in the same building but his company was "outsourced" so even though he kept his job with the new company, his commute is now 45 minutes. At least he's still working.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I was 45 minutes, then I got laid off. I found a new job that is now only 15 minutes to the parking lot. It takes me another 15 minutes to walk from the HUGE parking lot, through security and into my area.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I guess considering the price of gas lately, I'm fortunate to work 1.8 miles from home. Really love it since I hate getting up early in the morning. Sadly though, my suv doesn't even have time to get warm on those cold winter mornings before I actually get to work. Same thing with the a/c in the summer. Those leather seats can get you every time...
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I work together and our commute to the office is 3.8 miles, or 11 minutes.
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Post Thanks / Like

My commute is about 15 minutes. When I have to go to our suburban Philly test facility out in Exton/Downingtown, though, my commute is 90 minutes each way and that is the time on a good day. Fortunately they are adding some of those test servers to our building, so soon I will rarely have to drive there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    Yes. I drive to the commuter train. Taking the bus to the train would add another 30 minutes or so. Unless one is driving into the Downtown area at 5am, to DRIVE to work would take far more than an hour, and cost a fortune to park your car. An hour is the standard commute no matter where you are coming from in the Toronto area, unless you live Downtown (I have a co-worker who walks the 10 minutes to our office).
    I noticed that when I watch Property Virgins (one of my guilty pleasure shows) as they have many episodes based in Toronto being it is a Canadian produced show. Being near transit is a big deal and raises the price of a property.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by princessjojo View Post
    Sadly though, my suv doesn't even have time to get warm on those cold winter mornings before I actually get to work. Same thing with the a/c in the summer. Those leather seats can get you every time...
    That's one of the main reasons I loved the remote starter on my Tahoe. You should check them out ... they're pretty affordable.

Of course, remember your SUV will now sit in the driveway warming up/cooling off and guzzling $3.50 a gallon gas in a addition to guzzling it to and from work. One of the main reasons I don't miss my Tahoe one bit!
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I live 12 miles from work, but I'm forced to drive on city streets. That means my commute is 20 minutes in the early a.m., and at least 30-40 minutes in the evening.

If I had to depend on public transportation, my commute would be over 2 hours each way. Fortunately, I have a little gas sipper.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

30 minutes.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    That's one of the main reasons I loved the remote starter on my Tahoe. You should check them out ... they're pretty affordable.

Of course, remember your SUV will now sit in the driveway warming up/cooling off and guzzling $3.50 a gallon gas in a addition to guzzling it to and from work. One of the main reasons I don't miss my Tahoe one bit!
    The Toyota I had came with remote start direct from factory. LOVE IT!! And from the next car on, there will be a remote start involved. But yes, at $3.50/gal I think I can tolerate the temperature extremes for 5 minutes a day.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: