Quantcast Expansion Planned for Disney's Grand Floridian Resort

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the need to balance things around the lagoon.

But lets not forget that they had to do a lot of demolition to take out the North wing at the Contemporary. Which added more people to an already slow but still very capable monorail system. As well as adding to the bus system at its stop.

I will be the first to admit, that the Bay Lake tower is beautiful. But there is a swath of land south of the Contemporary that could have been utilized with low story buildings.

The Contemporary was already a beacon because of its height. The Poly cannot be seen unless you are at the entrance plaza and pretty much the same with the Grand Floridian.

I am all for the low story buildings like at the Poly and at the Grand Floridian. You cannot see them from within the park. I would just hate to see high rises around the Lagoon and Lake. Which I think will be coming because it just means more money for the company.

I also understand the economics of keeping guests more on property. Our honeymoon made us decide that we will not be going to Universal at all next trip. Yet we will be doing one day trips to Seaworld, Tampa, Daytona, etc. The rest of the time will be spent on Disney property. Because despite the negatives I perceive at Disney, it still has tons more plusses than anywhere else.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

șoș It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

I see your point about high rises, Victor. I have mixed feelings on Bay Lake Tower taking a little away from what used to be the focus on the neat a-frame Contemporary. Keeping buildings low would be ideal. If this addition dwarfs the red roof spire splendor of the current GF main building, that would be a shame, too.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Kelly View Post

I will be the first to admit, that the Bay Lake tower is beautiful. But there is a swath of land south of the Contemporary that could have been utilized with low story buildings.
    That swath of land, along with a couple others around the lagoon, are NOT suitable for building on. The ground is too porous and cannot support the infrastructure necessary to house a resort building. This is why those areas are not developed. They had to demo the North Wing (or the South Wing) to be able to build up in a spot that they knew was stable to support the structure.

I think it's already been speculated that if they add DVC to the Poly, they will simply convert existing longhouses to do so, since there is no space in the area to build additional structures.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I'd also be willing to bet on DVC, too. Why though they would build more, at this time, I have no idea. Nothing is sold out right now and there's tons of points on the formerly "sold out" properties due to forclosures/deed backs.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: