Quantcast Am I getting old and cranky or..... - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    You get those CM's that treat you the way you expect from Disney, same thing. Stop by Guest Relations or send an e-mail praising said CM.
    How does Disney reward the CMs that get nice letters?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer_and_Chris View Post
    We have handed out wet wipes to people who have had a fight with a Mickey bar on a hot day.
    That's hilarious! Great post!
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

Low pay aside, there is just some people that can work with the public and some that can not. On my last trip, the number of excellent CM's definitely outweighed the not-so-excellent ones, but the infractions made a lasting impression.

While watching the Electric Parade, a family was split on both sides of the parade route and the Dad called the kids over to his side when there was a small gap in the parade. CM's from every direction sprung into action to pull the kids back and to keep the others from bolting. Following the incident a CM walked back to his post by me and stated directly to me "I HATE MY JOB!". I just thought: "Then why are you here?" Yes, any job can be stressful, but vent to a coworker, not to a guest. I will always remember that incident.

2018 Port Orleans Riverside
    2012 Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2009 Grand Floridian
    2007 Contemporary
    2006 Grand Floridian
    2004 Polynesian
    1980 Day trip to MK

Post Thanks / Like

Default nice

Quote Originally Posted by ryca1dreams View Post
    . I think kindness works both ways.

Exactly. Try doing the same thing all day every day for people who don't pay any attention to what you are.. oh wait.. most of us do that at work everyday. Ever have someone strike up a conversation about "you" and not what you do? Or somethign as simple as a friendly and sincerey thank you makes a huge difference in someone's day.

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

Since I started the thread, thought I would comment now that my most recent Disney trip is complete. I did meet many wonderful cast members, and a few rotten. Im sure back in the 70s when I was a kid the rotten ones were there too and I was just so caught up in the magic of being at Disney that I didnt notice. Now that I want a perfect experience for my own children I notice the occsional crank pot. But in the end I could tell you many more positive stories than negative. As for low pay, if you take a job you are made aware of the salary prior to taking the job, you agreed to it, so perform as you said you would! Complaining is fine, its just not ok when you are in the hospitality industry at any capacity, to complain to guests, or to let your misery be felt by them. Thankyou to the wondeful CMs I met, and I did fill out a Good Job at guest services, and no I did not fill out any Bad Jobs!, if it exists.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phillydan View Post
    Following the incident a CM walked back to his post by me and stated directly to me "I HATE MY JOB!".
    I think that you might be reading more into the comment than what was meant.

As someone who works parades, we "hate" having to see split up families not be able to get back together and we "hate" to endure the inevitable wrath from the guests (you should hear what comes out of the mouths of some of the people) when they can't cross the parade route during the parade, but, that is our job to keep all guests as safe as possible.

Safety of the guests and CM's is stressed at every parade meeting. It might surprise some of you to know, for the first night parade there may be as many as 95 or more CM's doing Parade Audience Control from Town Square to Splash. When was the last time that you could get 95 + people together and have everyone of them to be at their best.

I can tell you from my own personal experience of doing this for almost 3 years now, as a whole, guests are becoming much more demanding and in some cases just downright obnoxious to anyone and everyone around them. Couple that with a different work ethic (culture) among the younger and middle age set and life is just a bit of a different dynamic than what some of us older folks are used to.

I will say, 3 times a year we have a "new" group of College and International Program CM's come onboard and each group is "different", with some being great, some good and a small percentage just not with the program, although most of those do get purged along the way. These people are there for 3 or 4 months or so and the average guest is only there for 2 or 3 days, so it is easy for a few "bad" incidents to magnify a persons perception of what things are like.

Sorry for the long (rant) post. I love my "job" at WDW, the people I work with, including working with the CP's & IP's and feel that 95% of them are really top notch CM's which is more that I can say about the co-workers that I had for the 40+ years I toiled at a "real" job.

Just to add, I've met SO MANY great and friendly guests working both turnstiles and parades at WDW. Believe me when I say, they FAR outnumber those folks who just can't seem to find it in themselves to leave their hostility at home.

Post Thanks / Like

OP, you do sound cranky and you admitted to being old.
    There is your answer.
    Been to WDW thousands of times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
    Believe me when I say, they FAR outnumber those folks who just can't seem to find it in themselves to leave their hostility at home.
    ... and CM's like you make going to WDW and DL a wonderful experience. Thank you for providing the amazing and cheerful service that you do!

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

I have given this some thought. On my recent trip 2 weeks ago; the only CM's I encountered that didn't seem to like their jobs were at Guest Relations. In the resort and parks all seemed very happy and helpful, for the most part. What I did notice was the number of obnoxious guests in ratio to previous visits had seemed to go up. One of the reasons I do like staying at the value resorts is that a friendly chat usually starts with "so, where are you from?" As opposed to the deluxe resorts were it is typically started with, "so, what do you do?" I tend to pay attention to those mannerisms. I see it in the parks too. Some people (thankfully not the majority) have a sense of entitlement syndrome. I have wondered how CM's are able to deal with those people on a daily basis and still smile and deliver the "magic." My hat goes off to them. I do try to commend the great CM's by reporting them to Guest Relations. I would never report the odd CM having a bad day. I feel I would snap within a week. Hats off to them all.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buddie View Post
    How does Disney reward the CMs that get nice letters?
    They usually get recognized by their leaders, the letter sometimes get read at the morning meetings, and they get a Cast-exclusive "Great Guest Service" pin (or at least, they used to; not sure if they still do)

I would never report the odd CM having a bad day.
    If you don't, then the problems will get worse, or never corrected

I gotta agree with 11290. You can't get *every* CM to all smile during "work hours" at the same time. But, your *one* smile or *better* demeanor (as a CM) will make someone's trip just *that* much more magical
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    They usually get recognized by their leaders, the letter sometimes get read at the morning meetings, and they get a Cast-exclusive "Great Guest Service" pin (or at least, they used to;
    Can't speak to what goes on property wide, but I think the stuff you mentioned might be a thing of the past. Other than the service awards that everyone is eligible for, I've only seen CMs get an atta boy or girl for a job well done. I think a heart felt "thank you" directly from a guest works best.
    Been to WDW thousands of times.

Post Thanks / Like

Argh I want to vent about this weekend, we got on the bus after this crazy downpour on Saturday *it rained from Friday night till Sunday around noon* we were leaving AK to go back to Poly, so onto the bus we got, and this ...un-awesome woman got on there and was just like soon as she stepped onto the bus asked the driver to turn the heat on the bus, he kindly told her he couldn't because the windows would fog up. She then procedes to try to drag me and Mom into her nonsense (We were the only other people on the bus and sitting at the front to be out of the way if other people got on) so we ignore her and then she goes to the back area of the bus and rants, loudly, to her family about how "stupid" it is the driver won't turn the heat on, that shes cold...Well Duh..we have all been rained on, of course its cold. But it was much warmer on the bus than it was outside where I wish the driver would have left this troll...We always thank the drivers, monorail staffers, janitors, anyone who is awesome really we are just thankful to be there so we tend to thank everyone who makes our trip even a fraction better. So this ungrateful woman just ruffled my feathers, thankfully she got off at the first stop (Contemporary) and we didn't have to deal with her the whole way home but she never stopped ranting the whole way home...Not cool!!! The driver was a saint for not losing it, I couldn't have held it together like he did..After she got off I thanked him for picking us up and keeping the heat off so we wouldn't all die in a firey bus crash...I just don't get people being so awful but this bus driver was totally awesome, I wish I knew his name to send in a compliment to disney.
    You can't take the sky from me

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: