Quantcast Buying new or used?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Buying new or used?

I have been talking to WVC salespeople about buying points. But the resales are a little cheaper and I can get more. However there is a difference on how you can use the points which I am very confused on. Can someone please tell me how I can use my points? example can we use them at the hotels if we buy used and on the cruise. I would really appreciate any help.
    Walt will always be my HERO.

1973 - 1999 Disneyland twice a month
    2003 June offsite WDW
    2004 & 2006 Dec. AK
    2007 Feb. PP Disneyland
    2008 Jan. All Star Movies
    2009 Jun. DLH Disneyland

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you buy DVC resale, you can no longer use for hotels or cruises, as of March 31st.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

To be accurate, you can no longer use resale points for the Disney Collection (all non-DVC resorts at Disneyland and WDW), Disney Cruise Line, the Concierge Collection, and Adventures by DIsney. You can use them for the DVC resorts, RCI, Club Cordial, and Club Intrawest.
    Nothing is impossible, it just hasn't been done yet!

CosmicRay's DH
    DVC Member since 2010 (Saratoga Springs)

Been there more times than I can count. Used to be close enough to watch the fireworks every night.

Post Thanks / Like

They are not valid for the different Travel package "collections" (Adventure Collection for example) they are also not valid for non-Disney properties and cruise lines. But they are still good on property though (so BLT, SSR, AKV for example).
    07/95 FW
    12/96 Off Prop
    11/97 CBR
    12/98 ASM
    12/01 ASMo
    11/03 Off Prop
    12/04 ASMo
    12/07 ASSp, Pop
    12/09 ASM
    09/10 FW, SSR
    11/11 SSR
    02/12 POR
    05/12 OKW
    01/13 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizHawk View Post
    To be accurate, you can no longer use resale points for the Disney Collection (all non-DVC resorts at Disneyland and WDW), Disney Cruise Line, the Concierge Collection, and Adventures by DIsney. You can use them for the DVC resorts, RCI, Club Cordial, and Club Intrawest.
    This is correct. It can be confusing when you buy resale.

To reiterate...

Resale points CAN be used for:
    DVC resorts (such as Bay Lake Tower, Animal Kingdom Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Aulani in Hawaii, Grand Californian Villas at Disneyland, etc.)
    RCI resorts
    Club Cordial
    Club Intrawest

Resale points CANNOT be used for:
    Disney resorts such as the Polynesian, Contemporary, Port Orleans, Caribbean Beach, Disneyland Hotel, etc.
    Concierge Collection
    Adventures by Disney
    Disney Cruise Line
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

First, I have NOT done any recent calculations for the options where DVC cannot be used as a resale however....

When I previously did calculations for cruises, they were NOT a good use of points and I could save $$ by using cash. Now, this assumes I don't have points in DVC that I need to use or lose, in which case it may be less expensive in a certain situation to use points for a cruise, Adventure by Disney, or other non-DVC Disney resort.

With everything, do your research. When buying direct from Disney you will get "more" for your ownership, but "more" is only good if you'll actually use it. In my family's case, we saved a LOT of $$ buying resale and at this point, I don't ever see us staying somewhere other than a DVC resort or RCI exchange.
    Feb 1990 - FW
    Oct 2000 - YC
    Sept 2001 - MK
    May 2002 - DL
    Sept 2004 - BW
    Dec 2004 - WL
    Feb 2005 - POFQ
    Oct 2007 - FW CABIN
    Dec 2008 - ASMov
    Oct 2009 - DVC Member!
    Jan 2010 - SSR
    Aug 2011 - BLT, Universal, BCV
    April 2012 - WL Villas
    Feb 2013 - Disneyland!

Post Thanks / Like

I just stumbled upon the fact that "the Grand Hotel" in Mackinac Island is no longer offered in the conceirge collection and that was one of the cool selling points buying direct. My parents own at BlueGreen and have a billion points (platinum) so we can use RCI to go anywhere we really want.

For DVC we only want to spend it at DVC resorts (the big plus over just having BlueGreen).

SO now my question is if we buy resale are we still considered "DVC OWNERS" in that we get all the other perks like discount on APs and dining plan.... or are those also only for direct buyers.

Will we still get a DVC card buying Resale??
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you'll still get the blue DVC member card & get member discounts You can still book any DVC resort and swap out to RCI.
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying new or used?

This is always an interesting question. It does seem that for those who only plan to stay at Disney the resale market makes sense. When you purchase from DVC you get to pick your use year month and generally they offer some kind of incentive. For first time purchasers there is a minimum amount of points requirement through DVC so if you want less points than they require this would be another reason to look at the resale market. As the gap in the cost per point between DVC and the resale market widens the resale market becomes more attractive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMommie View Post
    This is always an interesting question. It does seem that for those who only plan to stay at Disney the resale market makes sense. When you purchase from DVC you get to pick your use year month and generally they offer some kind of incentive. For first time purchasers there is a minimum amount of points requirement through DVC so if you want less points than they require this would be another reason to look at the resale market. As the gap in the cost per point between DVC and the resale market widens the resale market becomes more attractive.
    Yeah i mean if i can still get the discount APs, the blue DVC card and the dining plan... I am all set picking up resale. our platinum bluegreen would take care of any offsite DVC locations pretty much anywhere in the world.

At first i didn't think so, but the more I think about it i will only be using it to stay at DVC resorts. and if i can save around $50 a point thats HUGE!
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: