Quantcast Does Disney still have the "wow" factor? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    A post on the thread about the "Avatar" announcement said this:

"For whatever reason, Disney just does not have the willingness, or ability to wow us anymore."

My first thought was the new "Magic, Memories and You" show projected on Cinderella Castle just before "Wishes." When I first read about what it would be, I thought, you've got to be kidding me. Then I saw it. Huge WOW.

Then I thought about riding POTC through Davy Jones' face, and popping virtual targets at Toy Story characters, and walking through the standby queue in Expedition Everest, and Soarin'.

Do you agree with the first thought -- that Disney can't wow us anymore? Or can you name other shows or attractions that you recently experienced and found yourself mouthing "wow"?
    In 2005 I returned to DisneyWorld for the first time in 10 years, and the WOW factor was hitting me right and left when I did Mission Space, Test Trak, Dinosaur and the entirety of the Animal Kingdom for the first time. Personally I don't think it's ever lost its WOW factor for me; that's why I keep going back.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Disney will never lose its WOW factor. My parents took us to WDW every 3 years when we were growing up. One of the highlights was always the Main Street Electrical Parade. Last summer, I had the chance to watch this parade alongside my parents, my siblings, and our children. When the music started, I got chills and glanced at my dad, who had tears in his eyes. Nope. The WOW factor is still there--- and we will be there in 2012, too!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney has never failed to WOW us! We go every two years and each trip always seems even more magical than the last. We always go expecting to have a good time and we end up having a GREAT time.

Post Thanks / Like

I am WOWed every time i go. I'm 48, don't have much money, but still love the place, and everytime i leave i can't wait to go back....so for me, YES it has that wow factor.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

If you doubt the continuation of the WoW factor, check ribeyespud's threat, "Our 1st Time, and Only Trip to WDW" Every time I read it, I catch another WoW! Still does it for me after all these years...Of course, my glass is always more than half full.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post

Call me dorky, corny, sentimental, crazy...but every time I walk through one of the park entrances something instantly happens to me...the cares of the real world are gone. I'm neck deep in fantasy, imagination, fun and memories. This became even more priceless with the birth of my sons and now watching their faces light up every time we go
    I feel the same exact way!!
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Can they still do the big "Wow," yes they can when they set out to do it. however, they do have some "wow issues."

For example, EE, with the giant yeti, was a wow to be sure, but the mechanical issues have watered down his Wow quite a bit.

MissionSpace was a wow also, but the unintended nausea issues which affect so many of the riders and put them on the "tame side" takes much of the Wow away here as well.

We had hoped for a Wow when we initially heard of the Spacemountian refurb (especially since we had recently visited DL) but the WOW did not happen.

We are hopeful for WOWs with the coming of both the Fantasyland expansion and the Avatar thing...WOWs are fun when they happen...especially when they are well thought out and Disney is committed to keeping them up and running.

However, truth be told we don't go so much to WDW with the expectation of having a mind-bending wow anymore...we go for the ambiance, convenience, relatively good service, abundance of recreational & amusement options, and a whole lot of nostalgia. We have built up a treasure trove of memories there over the years and its actually the only vacation spot we repeat with any regularity. its a place where we have lots of memories and are very, very relaxed and comfortable being at. (its fits us like an old pair of shoes) I guess for us the WOW of WDW is less about rides than it used to be.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    However, truth be told we don't go so much to WDW with the expectation of having a mind-bending wow anymore...we go for the ambiance, convenience, relatively good service, abundance of recreational & amusement options, and a whole lot of nostalgia. We have built up a treasure trove of memories there over the years and its actually the only vacation spot we repeat with any regularity. its a place where we have lots of memories and are very, very relaxed and comfortable being at. (its fits us like an old pair of shoes) I guess for us the WOW of WDW is less about rides than it used to be.
    Well said. I couldn't agree more. This is exactly how my family and I feel about DW.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of feel bad for the people that can't be wowed. Is it lack of imagination, is it laziness or what? We argue with one of our sons about this all the time. His generation does not stimulate their own imagination, they want it done for them. We just got back from our family get together at Disney and it was the best yet. Going over for the wine and food fest in a few weeks and just booked for a few days in Dec.
    We see something new each time and take the time to use our imaginations. Guess I would say DISNEY DOES CONTINUE TO WOW US!
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sMom View Post
    I kind of feel bad for the people that can't be wowed. Is it lack of imagination, is it laziness or what?
    Sometimes it is none of the above. I know quite a few imaginative and highly motivated people who simply don't enjoy the Disney scene. Many are people who prefer a different type of vacation experience...say hiking in the Smokies/Rockies, going to a place where instead of encountering the masses you completely avoid them, or simply having a vacation where nothing has to be planned out ahead of time in order to "see everything."

Some are put off by the constant "branding and marketing" that takes place there. (For example, while hardcore disneyers enjoy things like hidden mickeys (my faves are at the AKL and MickeyPhilhamagic), some folks negatively view them as being akin to the old "eat popcorn" frames that used to flash by at the speed of light at drive-in movies).

Not being wowed by Disney doesn't really mean anything except that Disney isn't your cup of tea.

Originally Posted by Daisy'sMom
    We argue with one of our sons about this all the time. His generation does not stimulate their own imagination, they want it done for them.
    We too have a son (17) who is kind of tired of WDW and a daughter (19) who lives and sleeps WDW...so I don't really think its a generation thing, just personal preferences. For example,while oru daughter jumps at the chance to go anytime...when we gave him the option of a weekend at WDW for fall break or a weekend at the beach...he chose the beach and when I asked why he said, "I run all the time with school and soccer and am just at a place where I would rather use my vacation to take it easy." I can't really find a reason to argue with him over that. Its just one of those things where preferences differ. To each his own.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Does it still "wow" me? Sure.

Illuminations gets to me *every time* I see it - and we would go 4-5 times a week.

MSEP?
    MSEP was a wow when it premiered. Today it's not a classic, it's simply tired.
    To me, it *is* a classic. This is the first Disney parade *that I can remember seeing* from the late '70s.

Spectromagic was the next generation of night time parade. It was a wow.
    Me? Not when I saw it for the first time in 1995. It was kinda "ehh".
    So what followed it? The return of MSEP. No one said, "Wow".
    Wanna bet? When MSEP came back (the first time) in 1999, I *had* to take my kids to see the "parade that I grew up with". They were 10, 7, and 2 at the time. They fell in *love* with MSEP. Every chance we got, we went back to MK, specifically to see MSEP, even on nights after I got off work and made the 70-mile trip over from Melbourne. We musta seen MSEP a hundred times between 1999 and 2001, on its "Farewell" tour (or so we thought).

Even the music went from, "glimmering, shimmering carousseling" back to "dinka dink dink" That Electric Hoedown that was once new... and a wow.
    Your opinion, simply put, differs from mine Now, I've taken my granddaughter twice to see MSEP. My daughter, who's now 22, had tears in her eyes - as I did - when she saw that MSEP was *back*. Spectro just doesn't "do it" for me.

About the souvenir thing: I thoroughly - and completely - agree. Every shop used to sell their own unique (different) stuff that you couldn't find *anywhere else*. Now, it seems like all the "shops" all sell the exact same stuff - even stuff you can get at the Emporium or MouseGear, you can find at World of Disney. Just no "uniqueness" to the souvenirs any more. Same way with pins any more, too.

When the maintenance and stuff started dropping off in the early to mid '80s, you could definitely tell the difference, even as an early teens kid. Stuff used to get repainted *every night* if it needed it; light bulbs were replaced *every night*; each ride, show, shop, restaurant had its own dedicated mechanics and maintenance. Now, it's one set of maintenance guys/girls for an entire side of the park. :-\

I will say that I'm not thrilled with the whole "Avatar" thing. Yes, I saw the movie, and don't see the "attraction" in it (pun intended). In fact, I've seen the movie more than I would like (roommates :-\) (only actually watched it through entirely once or twice). This thing doesn't deserve an entire whole LAND for it, let alone an attraction. I just don't see the "Disney" connection since Disney didn't have *anything* to do with it to begin with.

For example, EE, with the giant yeti, was a wow to be sure, but the mechanical issues have watered down his Wow quite a bit.
    Mission: Space was a wow also, but the unintended nausea issues which affect so many of the riders and put them on the "tame side" takes much of the Wow away here as well.
    We had hoped for a Wow when we initially heard of the Space Mountain refurb (especially since we had recently visited DL) but the WOW did not happen.
    ...which is why *I* think that some things need an extended testing period. There was no way for Imagineering to know that the Yeti wouldn't work out long-term, or that maybe when M: S opened, there should have been a "non-nauseating" side to begin with. As far as the Space Mountain refurb goes, well...I wish I had been back on Intercot long before now, coulda told y'all what all was going on

Captain EO? Really? I could take WDW first timers to EPCOT and there are things that would wow them but I'd be simply embarrassed to take them to Captain EO when there are better 3D features showing at the local theaters at home.
    You also have to remember that in 1986, the technology for 3D that was available then was "cutting edge". Today, you have 3D video-game players (Nintendo DS3D) and 3D TV's for home. The only thing they did to the Captain EO film was "clean it up", and that's clearly stated in the preshow. If I was taking "first timers" to EPCOT and Captain EO, I'd clearly explain this to them

Now, on the other hand:
    I TOTALLY agree with this guy And if you're only getting "relatively good" service", I'd say write to Guest Relations It *is* Disney, after all, and you should expect "GREAT* service

Why *do* I keep going back/work there for almost ten years? Hard to say. I *love* seeing people smile. I *love* helping people. I *love* Disney movies I *love* the Disney experience. There's just *something* about being there.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerinvestigator View Post
    I don't understand all the people freaking out about Avatar either. Did they see this movie?? EYE-POPPING movie. The possibilities are unreal with what imagineers can and WILL do with this project.
    I couldn't agree more here. I think the collaboration between Disney and Cameron is going to be amazing.

At first, I wondered why Animal Kingdom? Why not Hollywood Studios? But I remembered Disney intended there to be a Beastly Kingdoms, full of mythical creatures, in AK's original design. This is a nice "plussed" idea of that. So I'm excited, too!!!

Disney still wows me jus by effectively managing a workforce of 35,000 that never fails to impress. Kudos to all cast members, imagineers, and those associated with the theme parks. You are the real stars and the reason Disney shines.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Disney still wows me jus by effectively managing a workforce of 35,000 that never fails to impress
    You missed the number - by about 30,000 Yes, WDW is the largest single-site employer in the world, with 65,000 Cast Members. That includes full- and part-time, seasonal, salaried managers and executives, Imagineering, DCL (which, as I understand, is "attached" to the WDW resort), College Program, and International College Program.

But yeah...it really takes a LOT of effort to keep all 65,000 working together.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Just had to report that we were WOW-ed many times on this last trip. Just to name a few...

Boo To You parade
    Halloween fireworks
    Memories projection show
    Lights Motors Action show (super wow!)
    Fantasmic
    Lion King show in AK (even though it wasn't the first time we saw it)
    Little Mermaid Show
    Food and Wine Festival
    Haunted Carriage ride at Ft. Wilderness

WDW has still got it as far as we're concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

I've NEVER stopped being WOWED!!!
    I love Walt Disney World!!!!! :)
    A Happy Visitor since 1974!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still Wowed sometimes by the rides we've ridden a million times and other times by trying out new things (surfing lessons, parasailling, fishing). The Wow and the magic will always be there for me.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back and I am still "wow-ed" by the amazing job done by CMs. I was blown away with their fantastic customer service.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

While they don't always go in directions I'd prefer, as is the case with Avatar, the watering down of merchandise, and a few other things, but I think Disney, and in particular WDW, still gives me the feeling of "Wow! I can't believe a place this wonderful really exists!"
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: