Quantcast Schedule Changes For January 19th (Obama visit) - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
    At least four previous presidents have visited Disney World in the past and never has their presense created such an inconvenience on paying customers. If Main Street is going to be deemed closed, then exactly who is he going to be speaking to (besides television cameras)?
    I believe this is the first President to make a visit to WDW post 9/11, which could explain the extra security precautions.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

At least four previous presidents have visited Disney World in the past and never has their presense created such an inconvenience on paying customers. If Main Street is going to be deemed closed, then exactly who is he going to be speaking to (besides television cameras)?
    I guess Main Street may be closed to the flow of guests entering and exiting the parks, but I'm sure it will be open for people to access the area during the speech (at least a limited number of people).

And, I'm not political, but I would think that most people would be really excited that the President is visiting the area. Politics aside, most people see the President as a celebrity. I know my kids would be very excited if the President of the United States of America showed up at their vacation spot. They would not notice the headaches of the logistics, just the excitement of the event.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    I guess Main Street may be closed to the flow of guests entering and exiting the parks, but I'm sure it will be open for people to access the area during the speech (at least a limited number of people).
    From the press reports I have been reading; Only guests with an invitation from the White House will be admitted into the Main Street area.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

You will not be able to see the President's speech unless you have been invited.

Main Street will be closed to the general public from very early in the morning until Obama leaves.

ADR's at Tony's are being cancelled by phone.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Some details for the event based on an internal announcement to Magic Kingdom Cast:

• The event is by White House invitation only.
    • Main Street USA will not open with the Magic Kingdom park on Thursday January 19th. Mains Street USA will open to Park Guests in “late afternoon”.
    • To enter the park in the morning and early afternoon, Guests will be directed from the main park entrance through backstage areas.
    • Dance parties will be offered in Tommorowland and Frontierland
    • All WDW Transportation will run to the Magic Kingdom park unaffected by the event.
    • Guests in need of Baby Care and First Aid services will be provided these services in the lounge located to the right of the Space Mountain entrance during the Main Street USA closure.
    • The Celebrate a Dream Come True parade is scheduled to start at 3:30 pm.
    • A special Times & Events Guide for January 19th will be available at the Park and will detail all of the operational changes for the day.
    • On-site Guests will be informed of the operational changes via letters delivered to each Guest Room and a special message on Resort TV channel 19.
    • Guests wishing to shop on Main Street USA during the closure will be directed to Mickey’s Star Traders in Tommorowland
    • Guests will Tour reservations will be contacted.
    • Guests with Advance Dining Reservations at The Plaza Restaurant and Tony’s Town Square Restaurant will be contacted.
    • During the closure of Main Street USA, the PhotoPass photo area directly in-front of Cinderella Castle will not be available. PhotoPass photographs will be located around Cinderella Castle in alternative locations during the Main Street USA closure to provide shots with the Castle as a backdrop.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

The President has no problem inconvienincing thousands of visitors to Disney World in the process. Families save thousands to afford these trips only to have the heart of Disney World shut down for someone's ego.
    It's not as though the Magic Kingdom is closing for the day, Main Street will be closed to the public for a few hours. With all of the other things to do in the Magic Kingdom, and the rest of Walt Disney World, it really doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Just imagine how annoyed people would get if, heaven forbid, a sitting president (D or R) decided to take his family to the Magic Kindom for a full vacation day.
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

Let's talk about over reacting LOL... It isn't like the entire MK is closing for the day... Just Main Street... They are offering extra entertainment in MK, Epcot, and DHS for those who are displaced or who want to avoid MK today... And I am sure they are fully expecting to have tons of complaints at Guest Services and are fully ready to hand out some form of compensation..

BTW, anyone who is interested in hearing the speech, you can watch it on the White House website...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post

BTW, anyone who is interested in hearing the speech, you can watch it on the White House website...
    Thank you for that tip! I would love to see it.

It would be so exciting to have an invitation to see this in person!!

Post Thanks / Like

President Obama is coming to Orlando. He is going to give a speech on tourism from Main Street, USA in the heard of Walt Disney World. In order to give this speech on tourism, Main Street, USA is going to be closed to tourists. Have I missed anything?

The President has no problem inconvienincing thousands of visitors to Disney World in the process. Families save thousands to afford these trips only to have the heart of Disney World shut down for someone's ego. I have no idea what time this "speech" is scheduled for, but you can bet that with pre-security screenings that this will be a colossal mess.

Now before anyone one starts slamming me as being anti-Obama, don't bother. I don't care who the president is or what party he is affiliated with. This is just a poor decision that will inconvenience many people that have planned trips to Disney World.

http://www.wesh.com/r/30235520/detail.html
    I whole heartily agree with you! I would be beyond furious if I was there - especially if it was my last day.
    SuzieBell

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Numerous trips as a child
    1981 - Grad Nite
    1990 - 1 special day with Mom & Dad
    1991 - Off Site - Honeymoon
    2005 - Pop Century (DS 1st trip)
    2008 - Pop Century

2011 - CBR - Surprise B'day for DS
    2014 - POR - Another Surprise B'day for DS

Post Thanks / Like

I'm seeing that they are letting people with One Day passes use it as a park hopper today.

Post Thanks / Like

realistically, guests aren't missing anything, even with a one day pass. They will just have to enjoy main street as the last part of the day instead of the first part. They are also being given special additional entertainment options for not being allowed on main street.

The other reality: First timers don't typically spend as much time on main street as those who are returning guests who want to be a little more relaxed. First timers are ready to see all the attractions, etc. So they head straight down main street into the lands. No biggie.
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

And it's over..

Best line:

"I'm excited to see Mickey. It's always nice to meet a world leader who has bigger ears than me." - Pres. Obama at WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Just finished listening to the 'speech'....Kind of a letdown, was hoping for something for US citizens travel and tourism plans...

Opened with Reuben Perez of Zazu Restaurant(s) talking about how he came to the Orlando area and started in the restaurant business and how the travel industry helps him, and other small businesses in the Orlando area...He then introduced the President...

The President used this 'speech' to announce plans to immediately step up the ability to process visas for travelers to visit the US -- his primary focus was China and Brazil, but allowed for quicker processing for countries that need travel visas to visit...

He also announced a plan to make it easier to come to the US to visit by creating a program where, if you go through a full security check - passport, fingerprints, etc. - it would be a much quicker process to travel to the US...

He also called for much greater promotion of US tourism in other countries - much like the commercials/ads/etc. for other non-US vacation destinations we see daily here...

A lot of "pomp and circumstance" to basically say...'Come to America and SPEND!!!!'
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    And it's over..

Best line:

"I'm excited to see Mickey. It's always nice to meet a world leader who has bigger ears than me." - Pres. Obama at WDW
    Better line:

"President Obama will be going to Disney World where he'll unveil his new plan to create jobs. And what better place for the president to talk about his jobs plan than Fantasyland?" –Jay Leno

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    And it's over..

Best line:

Love it! Still haven't had a chance to watch it online, but looking forward to it. Wow! I always wonder who gets invitations to these things. Wouldn't that be an amazing list to be on!

Post Thanks / Like

So we arrived at MK at 2pm today. There was a delay coming into the park due to the president leaving. But I have to thank Obama. He must have scared all the visitors away. We able to ride 8 rides in 3hrs. Including Peter Pan and Splash Mountain. It was actually very nice since most rides were a walk on! I'm just curious how the fireworks would have been at DHS.
    Contemporary - 1/09
    Pop - 4/09
    POFQ - 8/09
    Bay Lake Towers - 1/10
    POP - 2/10
    POFQ - 4/10
    POFQ - 11/10
    ASM - 3/11
    BCV - 8/11
    AKV - 1/12
    SSR - 8/12
    SSR - 12/12

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    I always wonder who gets invitations to these things. Wouldn't that be an amazing list to be on!
    Press, local politicions (mostly if not all of the same party,) big donors, Disney big wigs, etc. Yes that would be a nice list to be on because it would mean I was rich.

On a side note, is anyone else aware that the new U.S. Secretary of Commerce is a former member of Disney's Board of Directors? I'm guessing there has to be some sort of tie-in there.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched the "Rock the Night" fireworks show streamed live from DHS. Was so cool. Wish I was there. I would like to publicly invite any President to visit while I am at WDW. Would like to see the DHS fireworks in person.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

The marathon made travel to and within all four parks difficult for a few hours earlier this month. You just have to deal with it.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Just got home from dhs- WOW WOW WOW!! Mulch swear and shears is always amazing- but pair them with fireworks..... Wow!!! I loved every second of it!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero