Quantcast Ever have second thoughts about resort choice? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    You and your kids coming???? LOL. Pack up the car and let's go!!!!!!
    Haha! Don't tempt me! Actually, we are renovating our house this summer, so my fun, vacation funds are being sacrificed for the greater good. Oh well ... and sadly, if I presented an Orlando vacation option to my kids I think they would choose Universal (much to my dismay).

Back on topic: You know, that "shaded" pool at POR is still going to be HOT in August ... and humid! No way around it. If you choose CBR, maybe you can pack a pool umbrella in the car with you.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean about the Alligator Bayou rooms.. I have stayed at all of the moderates and POR & FQ were my favorite. I think you will love the Royal rooms at POR.. I've seen many pictures/videos of those room and WOW! They did an amazing job on that refurb! I don't think you will miss CBR once you are there and you see for yourself.
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If the pool is your #1 priority I'd recommend CBR. CSR is my personal favorite moderate and the pyramid pool is really pretty, but kids don't really care about pretty and the pyramid isn't something they can play on. I did like the dig site playground right next to the pool, but take away the pyramid and the pool is just a pool. The CBR pool has much more playability especially with the pirate ship water play area.

POR wasn't my favorite, but I would be open to trying it again. I thought the grounds were gorgeous, but I completely agree about the campy decor in Alligator Bayou. If we stay there again I will request the Mansions.

We almost always try a new resort and I find that I love different things about each one. I don't think you can make a bad choice.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Second guess our resort choice...all the time...for us it is part of the fun of planning. We have stayed at all the Mods but FQ. We love POR but coming from Northern Indiana.. I agree with others...go with your gut or where you know you will be happy. I really liked how close the pool and food court were at CRB..the zero entry pool is also nice which POR doesn't have. The boat ride to DTD is nice from POR.
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS
    2014 April - YC & POR
    2014 Oct - WL & YC
    2014 Dec - PORFQ
    2015 April - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all the input, and you can keep it coming!!!!

I think a lot of you hit the nail on the head. The themeing of a resort and how much a family likes that themeing has a lot to do with where you are from. I think for many the "swampy" feeling at Riverside is something so different from where they live and it sort of takes on a "story" of it's own, making the family feel like they are in a totally different location. For my family it just feels like going to the camp near the swamps, nothing new or special.

So many great points in everyone's post. I think I should go with which pool we enjoy the most, since that was sort of the whole point to begin with. July/August trip means tons of time at the pool and we really want it to be one we enjoy. My boy's love the pool at CBR, love the zero entry, the music, the tropical feeling. I can almost hear the music and pretend I have a drink from the bar in my hand and life seems perfect!!! The food court is soooo close to the pool, and with a preferred room we'll not only be close to the pool, but we'll be able to experience a new room. We've only ever stayed in the pirate rooms here, so the room decor will be something new for us.

I think I've made up my mind.....I did say I THINK! LOL.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    Haha! Don't tempt me! Actually, we are renovating our house this summer, so my fun, vacation funds are being sacrificed for the greater good. Oh well ... and sadly, if I presented an Orlando vacation option to my kids I think they would choose Universal (much to my dismay).
    Well that's exciting!!! Our house is only around 6-7 years old, but since we didn't build it and get to pick out all the colors and such we've been redoing one room at a time. Other than travel, decorating/redecorating our house is my other passion!!!!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely the more nostalgic, stick to the tried and true favorites kind of guy. Our last trip I regretted not staying at our favorite Dolphin but that was only because we saw zero animals in our Savannah View Room.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1113 View Post
    I went with CSR. I wish we hadn't. I was not happy with that resort at all.
    Why didn't you like CSR, if you don't mind me asking?
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Here's an idea -- have you thought about the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge? Yes, they're a bit pricier, but not as expensive as a real deluxe (they're sort of considered "moderate" deluxes). The pools at both are fantastic, and you'd be closer to a theme park. Just food for thought.
    I did think about WL, it's our favorite resort, but we've stayed there for 3 out of our last 4 vacations. As much as we love it, we really didn't want to stay there again on this trip.

I did however look into prices for AKL. We are using the military discount (which is only 35% off of a mod., but 40% off of a deluxe) and since my mom and I are splitting the cost of the room, a pool view room at AKL would only cost us $85 more each! Just when I thought I was sure we were going to stay at CBR........

So now we need to decide on a prefered room at CBR or a pool view room at AKL. At least it's a good "problem" to have!!!
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    So now we need to decide on a prefered room at CBR or a pool view room at AKL. At least it's a good "problem" to have!!!
    Definitely a good problem to have!! Since you've been to both resorts, you know what to expect from each. I would still let the boys and/or your mom choose. (takes the pressure off of you )

I loved AKL - the lobby, the feel of the hotel. One of our best evenings was hanging out in the sunset (sunrise?) lounge with a nice glass of wine while DD played a game with one of the CMs (she was obsessed with getting beads for her necklace) and DS sat in the lobby right outside of the lounge watching vintage Donald Duck cartoons. A very relaxing evening.

I also enjoyed the pool area and the pool bar - lots of kids activities, scavenger hunts, arts and crafts - the only problem was the smell from the flamingos (whew ).

Once again ... not a bad spot to be in choosing between two fun and different results.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    I loved AKL - the lobby, the feel of the hotel. One of our best evenings was hanging out in the sunset (sunrise?) lounge with a nice glass of wine while DD played a game with one of the CMs (she was obsessed with getting beads for her necklace) and DS sat in the lobby right outside of the lounge watching vintage Donald Duck cartoons. A very relaxing evening.

I also enjoyed the pool area and the pool bar - lots of kids activities, scavenger hunts, arts and crafts - the only problem was the smell from the flamingos (whew ).
    We've had a few nights like that at AKL too. Gotta love that lobby, and the gift shop!!

We never noticed the smell near the pool.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. Really thinking about it I don't think I've ever been so torn on where to stay. We usually have a purpose for our resort, either a birthday, a holiday, a resort we've been wanting to try. This is the first time I've felt like I wasn't sure where we should stay. All suggestions have been wonderful. Thanks!
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at AKL last November for the 2nd time. I just love this resort as do the rest of my family. I didn't notice any smell at the pool area. My kids were there quite a bit and never mentioned a smell. I've stayed at CBR as well. But between the two, I would pick AKL. But I'm sure which ever resort you pick; you'll have a wonderful time!!
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: