Quantcast Best Way to WDW from Wisconsin

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Way to WDW from Wisconsin

Seriously considering driving to WDW this November due to the price of airfare. If you have driven there please tell me the best way to go. Not wanting to go through any "horrible to drive through" places. We live near Green Bay Wisconsin. Thanks!!!
    mommy2maddi

Aug. 2010 at POP
    4/27-5/3/15 AoA Nemo suites
    Getting married at WDW in 2018- Staying at WDW Swan for 4 nights and Polynesian for 4 nights.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We always drive down, and love it. We are about 100 miles from Chicago and take I-94 to I-65, then I-65 to I-24 at Nashville to I-75 in Chattanooga. We then take I-75 all the way to the Turnpike to Disney (we take the new by-pass-is it 428?) to the Disney entrance. We take I-65 through Indianapolis (no by-pass) and I-75 through Atlanta (again no by-pass). It cost about $340.00 last year, including gas driving around Disney, and shopping at Outlet Mall. As I stated, we love the drive, and pack food and drinks in order to stop at rest areas. I see we will be there while you are visiting as we check in on November 5 and leave on the 15th. Hope this helps. Any other questions, please feel free to ask. I have been driving down since 1972.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eam View Post
    We always drive down, and love it. We are about 100 miles from Chicago and take I-94 to I-65, then I-65 to I-24 at Nashville to I-75 in Chattanooga. We then take I-75 all the way to the Turnpike to Disney (we take the new by-pass-is it 428?) to the Disney entrance. We take I-65 through Indianapolis (no by-pass) and I-75 through Atlanta (again no by-pass). It cost about $340.00 last year, including gas driving around Disney, and shopping at Outlet Mall. As I stated, we love the drive, and pack food and drinks in order to stop at rest areas. I see we will be there while you are visiting as we check in on November 5 and leave on the 15th. Hope this helps. Any other questions, please feel free to ask. I have been driving down since 1972.
    This is my experience as well, we used to live in a small town in SE, Wisconsin and that is the route we would take.

Its going to be a long trip for you guys about 1 whole day. Be safe

Post Thanks / Like

We drive too, just an hour south of chicago, and thats the route we take. It takes us about 18 hours if we drive straight through. I think our gas cost was right around $400 (we visited friends in Haines City before and after) we always try to budget more. We're going in Sept. this year and have budgeted $600. At the current gas price, we'll still have a pretty good cushion (about $120).
    Last edited by cuteduck223; 04-18-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: oops!
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

That is the same route we go and we are an hour north of Madison. With 5 kids there was no way we were going to afford airfare. Driving was easy. We drove overnight both ways and it worked out well for us. I take the late night driving hours and my wife let me sleep here and there. On the way down we planned to stop in S. Georgia for the next overnight, but we ended up driving the rest of the way and stayed in Orlando the second night with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

I will add:

Schedule your driving time thru Chgo and NW Indiana at a very off time, such as before 6am or after 8 pm, preferably on a weekend. It's the only hope you have on missing the horrible Chicago traffic. We always have enjoyed driving and take pp mentioned routes and never run inti traffic like we often do once you hit wonderful IL at 80/94 so we attempt to plan accordingly.

Good luck and have a blast!
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

Just drove the route mentioned at the end of March. I am 30 miles NW of Chicago. You can go through the city of Chicago or around. Traffic will be heavy either direction but we go right though - course that was at 6am Friday and then 6pm Sunday coming home. Atlanta is the other big city for traffic - but I got in that HOV lane and breezed right through with no problems. Grab that lane and don't let it go!
    Nashville and Chattanooga were slow for us it seemed but we hit them late afternoon into evening rush hour.
    Drive time coming home according to the car was 20:03. That doesn't include stops for food, gas, leg stretches.

**at Monsters Inc this year a "2 headed human" was from Door County.
    Last edited by E-Ticket4; 04-19-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: added WI reference
    Mary Beth
    12 time since 1992 - recaptured the Magic in 2005 and yearly or more since then.
    Next up: Fall 2015?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank-you all!

I appreciate the advice and if we do drive we have a preferred route thanks to you guys! I am still hoping to find affordable airfare, but I really don't want to pay $1800 for airfare- On top of that, the flights I found were all arriving in Orlando late (after 8:00 pm) and leaving early (before 9:00 am); even if I could find better times I wouldn't feel so bad about the cost. I know that there will be more flights scheduled in the next month or two. Crossing my fingers that something better comes up so we don't have to drive and take the extra time off of work.
    mommy2maddi

Aug. 2010 at POP
    4/27-5/3/15 AoA Nemo suites
    Getting married at WDW in 2018- Staying at WDW Swan for 4 nights and Polynesian for 4 nights.

Post Thanks / Like

If you'd like a little more scenic route, cut across from the Indianapolis bypass and take 74 to Cincinnatti, then take I-75 due south thru Lexington and knoxville. That route isn't nearly as flat and boring. There's also a route down the west side of WI using 20 and getting onto 54 by Peoria and following it down thru clarksville and then to Nashville where you avoid Chicago (major plus). The extra miles on that route are made up by not having to go thru Chicago.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to be there in November too! Also from Wisconsin, also frustrated with the flight options (why oh why can't we have Midwest Airlines back?? they were Perfect), also considering driving but dont' want to miss out on more Disney days (hubby only has 5 days to use up).

Anyway, I wanted to add that when/if you go through Milwaukee be aware that there's alot of construction going on and some of it has been to change the route you may be used to. For instance there's a part when heading north where normally you'd take the left fork and now you take the right. It really threw alot of people who know the area for a loop.

Have a great trip!!
    February 4-11 AoA
    October 13-20 2012 CBR
    November 7-13 2010 Pop
    November 3-10 2009 Polynesian
    September 19-26 2008, CBR Honeymoon
    May 11-18 2007, CBR engaged <3
    April/May 2006, OKW
    July 2004, All Star Movies
    June 1981, Sheraton World
    June 1976 somwhere offsite[/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully you do not hit Atlanta at rush hour.
    Stick to I-75 and use the High occupancy Vehicle
    lane. Someone here advised it and we found it to work well. We just clung to the lane marked with the Diamonds patterns on the pavement.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Every year that my wife and I have gone to WDW we have driven from our home in SE Wisconsin. We take I90/39 to Rockford and then I39 South to Bloomington. From there we take I74 to Champaign and then I57 South toward Paducah. We pick up I24 which takes us all the way to Chattanooga where we pick up I75. This might be slightly longer than I65, but we avoid all the Chicago traffic and have become very familiar with the route. We used to try to get South of Atlanta the first day and then get a room before continueing on the 2nd day to WDW. We now are content to get somewhere past Chattanooga and spending the night. We drive straight through Atlanta using the HOV lane. We have always driven because we are not good flyers and we can bring anything and everything we think we may need. Enjoy your trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymacnlinda View Post
    Every year that my wife and I have gone to WDW we have driven from our home in SE Wisconsin. We take I90/39 to Rockford and then I39 South to Bloomington. From there we take I74 to Champaign and then I57 South toward Paducah. We pick up I24 which takes us all the way to Chattanooga where we pick up I75. This might be slightly longer than I65, but we avoid all the Chicago traffic and have become very familiar with the route. We used to try to get South of Atlanta the first day and then get a room before continueing on the 2nd day to WDW. We now are content to get somewhere past Chattanooga and spending the night. We drive straight through Atlanta using the HOV lane. We have always driven because we are not good flyers and we can bring anything and everything we think we may need. Enjoy your trip.
    That was the route I was trying to explain but you did a much better job,
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

Out of our 10 trips, we flew once and drove the rest. We live in Springfield, IL. We take 55 south to 64 to 57 to 24 to 75 and happily land in WDW about 18 hours after we start. We drove straight through once (it was hard around 4- 6 a.m.) but we usually drive 15 hours the first day and 3 the second day (check in day). We leave Spfld at 3:30 a.m. so that we avoid Nashville and Atlanta during the busiest commuter time. We get to Nashville in 6 hours and Atlanta in 10 hours (and then we have to adjust for the Central to Eastern Standard Time time change. Yes, the drive is long, but it's part of the fun when you plan for it. We pack breakfast, snacks, drinks, and candy for the trip. I like not needing to worry about how much we pack and what to do with all the souvenirs that we purchase while at WDW.
    1998 Caribbean Beach
    2002, 2003 Off Property
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 PO Riverside
    2009 :(
    2010, 2012, 2016 Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

I live in SE MI and how is the drive with kids? We have two little ones (soon to be 5 and 3) and due to the increased cost of airfare we're considering driving. How nuts are we?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdk316 View Post
    I live in SE MI and how is the drive with kids? We have two little ones (soon to be 5 and 3) and due to the increased cost of airfare we're considering driving. How nuts are we?!
    My family used to do this when we were all younger, we had 3 boys and drove many times.

As long as you have things for them to do it should be ok. My dad always hooked up a VCR and a TV in our car so we could watch movies,

My dad once told me he knew that lines to an entire movie but he had never seen it. (always driving while we watched).

Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Default driving down

We live about a half hour south of Green Bay and have driven to Florida over a dozen times. We usually split it up into 2.5 days of driving on the way there and about 2 full days of driving on the way back. We just take 41 south to Chicago and then follow the signs to Gary, and then towards Louisville. Its super easy, especially with mapquest these days and my 3 kids stay entertained becasue I print coloring pages, bingo, and scavenger hunts for them to do in the car besides their nintendos and dvd players. Hope this helps. Oh, and we leave for our next wdw trip in 5 days.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by eam View Post
    ...(we take the new by-pass-is it 428?)
    You were close - it's 429.

That brings you onto WDW property not far from Coronado Springs. Be aware that 429 is a toll road; offhand, I'm not sure what the toll is. Just have a bunch of quarters handy.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked airfare out of Chicago? Ohare or midway usually are cheaper than green bay.
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Post Thanks / Like

I have easy to follow directions. Take 43 to Milwaukee, stop at the State Fair Park park and ride lot and pick me up. I could drive to Disney in my sleep. This is THE best way to drive to disney.
    1989 - Poly
    1990 - Fort Wilderness
    1991 - Port Orleans
    1996 - Dixie Landings
    2000 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2002 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter

C - completely
    U - useless
    B - by
    S - September

Share This Thread On Social Media: