Quantcast Why are they ruining Epcot ? - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Epcot

I like Roller Coasters as much as the next guy, But a Disney vacation is supposed to be "SPECIAL"

You can have your fill of Coasters at any Six Flags Park.

I left EPCOT feeling sad that it was not what it once promised to be.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Personally, I thought Walter Cronkite was the best on Spaceship Earth.... But few people even remember him!
    TOTALLY AGREE THAT CRONKITE WAS INDEED THE BEST!!!

The narrator now is terrible!

Post Thanks / Like

My little guys LOVE Figment......
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epcot

Very well said Valencia !!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are two types of people: The guests who truly appreciated Epcot, and the guests who didn't. The same can be said about classical music and rap. You either understand and appreciate quality and brilliance...or you don't.

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing how I was 1 when EPCOT opened, I don't remember many of the original rides. That being said, I still remember the old Journey, and I miss it so, SO much. What was wrong with the Dreamfinder?!? You could even meet him in the park sometime. And Figment was SUCH a symbol of old Epcot. They still try to use him, but do the kids remember him as much? Do parents still bring their kids to the attraction? I also miss the old play area. It was so AWESOME! Especially the "put you in a film" and the giant pin boards.

I also miss the old Living with the Seas. The ride was so amazing just LOOKING at the ocean. Didn't need any characterization to it. Also, to this day, whenever there is a sudden downpour, my family and I will try to sound like the original film narrator (is it the same film? We always pass it now) and say "...and then, the rains came." Because we are Disney nerds who remember that spot in the film, lol.

I do think the Wonders of Life pavillion needs to be reopened. It's a great little center! Update Body Wars and you have a "thrill" attraction there, along with all the other amazing things to see. I remember my mom taking me to see the film about reproduction too when I was a bit older. People might think that it was weird for Disney to have that, but honestly? It's a part of life and I remember it being dealt with very tactfully and in a way kids understand.

I *do* like the new Spaceship Earth though. I think the interaction at the end is perfect. My friends and I also like Ellen's Energy Adventure, but that's mostly because we're cracking up at Ellen's jokes, and we're all big fans of Jepordy
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

Well, put me on the list of those who miss Horizons. I love Mission Space, but Horizons was about the future, in many different aspects, not just space and it had a more far reaching vision. It was also a ride I could ride over and over. After one or two times on Mission Space per trip I'm done (not because of motion sickness).

I miss the educational/entertaining aspects of EPCOT. I loved having a theme park that wasn't all about characters or thrills, but was there to "entertain, inform and inspire." EPCOT just isn't that inspiring anymore and the inform part has been pretty watered down to the basics without much depth. Imagination used to deal with the actual imagination in creativity, science, literature, etc. but now is more about illusions and senses, than actual imagination (the new one would have been more appropriate for Wonders of Life, in my opinion). I'm sorry but the imagination is currently missing from the Journey. Wherefore art thou Dreamfinder?

Don't even get me started on adding characters to everything...

I guess EPCOT made people think to much during their trips. "“How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?” - Homer Simpson

or if you like

"My brain hurts." - Monty Python

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donnine View Post
    TOTALLY AGREE THAT CRONKITE WAS INDEED THE BEST!!!

The narrator now is terrible!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Epcot was always lowest on my park list, and now, it's one of my favorites. As long as the narrator on Spaceship Earth is a Brit, I don't care.
    Too numerous visits to count. Resorts stayed at include:

Bay Lake Tower
    Contemporary
    Fort WIlderness
    Beach Club Villas
    Yacht Club
    Board Walk Villas
    Swan
    Dolphin
    Polynesian
    Port Orleans Riverside
    Saratoga Springs
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Wilderness Lodge Villas
    WIlderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Personally, I thought Walter Cronkite was the best on Spaceship Earth.... But few people even remember him!
    YES! He was absolutely the best... Though I still remember rideing 20,000 leagues in the MK.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my all time favorites. Dive Dive.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney has it a little rough. They need to satisfy a lot of people, guests, sharholders and vendors and still turn a profit. As a public company, it is their feduciary responsibility. Still, there is balance that they must strike to get make it all happen. This is truely not easy. People will look to a signle decision Disney makes which affects the way guests feel about a ride, attraction or resort, do to some particular reason. Regardless, the one sure thing we can't change in life is "change." Change is constant and enduring. Disney must change as well. We may not like every decision, but it will happen. I try to focus on the journey and not just the rest stops along the way. The rest stops will certainly change over time, but journey continues on.
    DVC Owner: BCV in 2002 & AKV in 2008
    18 visits home between 2000 and 2014
    Next up:
    AKV in September 2014
    BCV in December 2015

Post Thanks / Like

The same can be said about classical music and rap. You either understand and appreciate quality and brilliance...or you don't.
    Okay, low blow - there is a lot of amazing rap and hip hop, unless you pigeonhole one kind of music to be 'all the same', which it isn't.

I really love Intercot, but sometimes there is just so much dissent about the present/future. Between people constantly complaining about how much better things USED to be and being upset over new ideas/resorts/theming, I feel a bit alone sometimes in trying to embrace the future.

Sure, the future isn't always going to be the same as the past. And it is hard when a company is built on the ideals of one man, who is no longer alive. But maybe, we can trust that those ideals have touched all of us so strongly, that maybe the people who work for the company have the same ideals in mind when making decisions.

Epcot used to be kind of a joke - that it was boring, more like a museum and classroom than a theme park. You just need to watch The Simpson's episode where they are trapped in 'Efcot' to see that.

I enjoy Epcot, very much. There is a good balance between fun and educational, but more importantly, all is available to avoid/enjoy. If you are a thrill junkie, you can enjoy Test Track and Mission:Space. If you are educationally motivated, you can ride The Land and walk through Innovations. If you are an uber-nerd thrill junkie like me, you can set 2-3 days aside to go EVERYWHERE in Epcot!

I don't mean to offend anyone, and of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I just hope people remember - "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Not my words.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epcot

With all this talk about Fantasy Land...How about a "Future World" refurb ???

Post Thanks / Like

I just found my old stuffed FIGMENT in the basement !!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, to give a different opinion, I don't agree. But, I've only been going since 2000, so I never saw Horizons or World of Motion or the original JII. I did see the prior incantation of SE and think the current one is better and enjoy the interactive nature of it and the area at the end of the ride.

Many of you on these boards are Disney purists and really sentimental for the old times. I think that any venture like this has to change with the times or become stale. Wasn't Epcot always supposed to be changing and being updated?

Soarin is my absolute favorite attraction in all of WDW now. I would like to see them do a better and more relevant 3D movie in Imagination pavilion. My kids enjoy JII, but it would be fine with me if they replaced it altogether. The current Living Seas appeals to children more and gives them a point from which to relate since Finding Nemo is so popular. I wish they'd replace Ellen's Energy Adventure now and really talk about Greenhouse Effect and future energy choices. Maybe they should have a disaster attraction there like the movie 2012 (kidding). And get something, anything in the empty Wonders of Life pavilion - I mean the healthcare industry is the biggest thing going and medical technology so cutting edge, that could be amazing with the right sponsor.

I guess I'm sayin, overall, I hope it continues to change as I kind of think this is the park that most should continue to be updated and improved.
    Summer 1978 - off site
    July 2000 - CBR
    May 2001 - PoR & AKL
    Dec 2002 - WL
    Apr 2003 - ASs
    Feb 2004 - Poly
    May 2005 - ASs
    June 2006 - ASs
    June 2008 - Pop
    June 2010 - PoR
    May 2012 - Hilton Garden Inn
    June 2014 - Floridays Resort
    December 2014 - CBR
    March 2015 - Swan
    June 2015 - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

My two cents:

Disney is a family vacation destination and there needs to be some "fun" rides. What little kid (AND BIG KID!) does not love a race car or a spaceship? As a kid I put up with EPCOT because my grandmother loved it. Now kids love EPCOT.

And yeah, I understand the EPCOT's main focus was technology, education, and the future but the larger point is that its a theme park, which must entertain. Heck, I learned a lot from Test Track about cars. The que for Mission: Space features all kinds of great Space History.

I LOVED Jeremy Irons audio on Spaceship Earth and the new narration just doesn't do it for me in the same way. But that's only one part of the ride experience. The new interactive experience is neat. I'm very happy with the newest version. It's still a glorious ride.

World Showcase boring? Yeah, it may need a few updates, but it's not, by any stretch, an awful experience. There's a lot to experience! Food, beer and wine, people from other cultures, neat buildings, etc.

Disney still has maintained the main vision of EPCOT while making it more appealing to a wider audience. That's no easy task. It's gone from worst to first of on my favorites list.

Post Thanks / Like

IWhat I miss is the ability of our whole family to ride together. When I was a kid we could all go on all the rides together. My father had health restrictions and Epcot was the park that was sort of an equalizer. We could all go on everything.

Now I have small children and we can not go on rides like Mission Space and Epcot without having to use the child swap. It's not family friendly at all.

Why not just update Horizons with new technology.

IMHO they DESTROYED Imagination! It was so cute and had an original character.

Not so crazy about the updates to SE. (Anyone remember Tomorrow's Child?) I think it needed an update but once again made it worse.

I actually like Test Track but wish it was more family friendly.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Horizons was the worst decision they made in my opinion. It was such a classic Epcot ride. They replaced it with Mission Space and I got sick to my stomach on that ride. World of Motion was also a classic ride, but Test Track is better.
    *1993-CBR
    *1995-Dixie Landings
    *1999-2002 OKW (3 times)
    *2003-BCV(got engaged)
    *2005-Poly Concierge(honeymoon)
    *2007-AllStar Music(expecting 1st child)
    *2008- OKW (w/1st child)
    *2012-AKL villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwallace378 View Post
    Horizons was the worst decision they made in my opinion. It was such a classic Epcot ride. They replaced it with Mission Space and I got sick to my stomach on that ride. World of Motion was also a classic ride, but Test Track is better.
    I agree about Horizons being a classic and great ride. But the decision to close was all they could do. There is a Horizons site that gives the history but it boils down to closing it for guest and CM safety. As that site says, there was a sinkhole under the building and the building was completely usage and likely to collapse under its own weight. The building had to be torn down, the area reinforced, and a less massive building replacing it.

So I can't blame Disney for closing it but can agree it was a shame to lose such a classic ride.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneynarula View Post
    I actually like Test Track but wish it was more family friendly.
    Define "family friendly" then because I sure am missing the memo! When I worked at Epcot I had plenty of families ask me about Test Track and the fact is (At least with the old version) if my kids were tall enough I'd highly recommend it.

In fact, there was a mom who was trying to convince her daughter to do it and employed the help of me. I convinced her, and she loved it!
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: