Quantcast Fastpass dilemma--it had to happen to me, of course! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM View Post
    i might be late on the uptake... what happens when you go back for your FP time and the ride is down? Are you just out of luck?
    I would think that they would make an exception, but cast members can be very vague. In our situation I asked a CM if they would be very rigid about FP return times, given that the ride was down at opening. She stated it would depend on how long the ride would be down. So I guess the answer is--who knows?
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yeah I have to say that I saw absolutely zero reduction in FP wait times because of the enforcement of the one hour window.

If that's what it was intended to do it failed. Epicly. The FP lines in Space Mountain, Buzz, TSM, and Soarin' (the only attractions we used FP for) were all just as long as they always were.
    I don't think you can just generally say the enforcement of this policy isn't affecting the FP lines - unless you're standing there monitoring the lines all day. I also don't think the intent of the policy is to shorten FP lines - just make them more consistent and predictable. The only people in a FP line should be those that got FPs around that particular time.

I don't have a particularly strong opinion on the enforcement policy - we almost always used the FP during the identified hour, but that was our choice. But I can tell you that we had a FP for SM last month. When we got to the FP entrance, a group of 6 people in front of us came back too late and were turned away - so I know my FP wait time was reduced by an entire SM car!

Post Thanks / Like

Dining is a big part of our trips, so FP's take a back seat to them. There are many great places to dine that are worth missing a ride or attraction for us. We always spend more than one day at each park, though, so it's not an issue for us.

The good thing about FP's is the return time is posted at the kiosks. That way you know (within 5 minutes or so) what your return time is. If it's not feasible, then wait until it is.

But, at least the OP got to squeeze everything in, even though it sounded a little too stressful for me.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

We got a snotty comment for being 5 minutes late because we had to race clear across the park.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

Well.....

I told you so!
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Well.....

I told you so!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I was only one of many who stated that this exact scenario, or one like it, would happen. It looks like there's plenty who really don't care about the circumstances that happen to others (they will when it happens to them), which is too bad.

It also appears that there are many whose experiences agree that keeping the FP times to nearly exact perfection has done nothing to alleviate crowding in fastpass lines. So the question begs, why the change to the strict rules? All the people saying this rule enforcement is good for the parks have no ground to stand on if the lines dont' get better for FP.

I guess I'm just looking for a little more wiggle room from Disney. 5 minutes before? Fine. 15 minutes after? Bad. Give us an extra hour and that would be ample time to squeeze in our ADRs that we HAVE to book months in advance if we want anything decent to eat. Just looking for the systems to run fluid, that's all.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

A two-hour window would have been perfect; enough time to work around situations like this without it impacting the lines too much.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    A two-hour window would have been perfect; enough time to work around situations like this without it impacting the lines too much.
    Exactly why I chose that number. Do we need the convenience of all day FP return times? No. But an extra hour would help avoid bad situations like yours and ones we're all sure to have. Maybe a few complaints directly to Disney about this will loosen the time limits.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they should just let some people break the rules and others not. Maybe they should say, just because you have ADR's you can have as much time as you need. Or I don't know maybe if you can't make it back in the time frame that is posted before you get your fast pass, you don't take one. If you don't like the fact that they are actually following the system the way they have it set up, then don't participate or don't spend your money there, that will really show them. Then the parks will be less crowded for those of us that don't mind going back when our correct time is.
    Dean

"Scream like a girl" Expedition Everest

Sept. 2005 Caribbean Beach
    Oct... 2005 Animal Kindom Lodge
    Sept. 2006 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2007 All Star Music
    May 2008 All Star Movies
    April 2009 All Star Music
    Sept. 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2012 POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Disney Fan View Post
    Maybe they should just let some people break the rules and others not. Maybe they should say, just because you have ADR's you can have as much time as you need. Or I don't know maybe if you can't make it back in the time frame that is posted before you get your fast pass, you don't take one. If you don't like the fact that they are actually following the system the way they have it set up, then don't participate or don't spend your money there, that will really show them. Then the parks will be less crowded for those of us that don't mind going back when our correct time is.
    The sarcasm is unnecessary. I certainly abided by the rules; I was just recounting a situation that occurred. The Fastpass system is not perfect and for the amount of money that is spent on a WDW vacation I would hope that I'm allowed to relate how circumstances affected me.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know, as I havent been recently (going in 3 weeks! ) but I would think that the FP lines early in the day would be longer now, as people have to come back who would otherwise have held onto their FPs for later, and lines later would therefore get shorter. Is this happening?? CMs can you tell us?

Post Thanks / Like

Call me crazy (wouldn't be the first time! hehe ) but I think the Next Generation FP (if it comes to full fruition) would help the people who have ADRs from rushing around so much. You would schedule your FP months before, say 11am, in order to make your ADR at, say 12 noon. It would help take the guess work out of it. So... we'll have to see how things work out over the next several months. I am not personally thrilled about the Next Gen FP, but I can totally understand where it would help.

My family doesn't schedule ADRs. Just our personal choice so we aren't forced to keep to such a tight schedule. (plus 2 of us are vegetarians so you won't catch me waiting in line for any "must have" steak ) LOL

And I agree with MNNHFLTX... we should ALL be able to voice our opinions without being made to feel that they are unjust. We are all entitled to them! Let's be kind to each other - after all... we are talking about Disney here!!
    Paging Mr. Morrow... Mr. Tom Morrow. Please contact Mr. Johnson in the control tower to confirm your flight to the moon.

BC: 9/12, 7/13, 1/14, 5/14, 9/14, 1/15, 9/15, 9/16
    GF: 9/16
    SSR: 9/13
    WL: 5/16
    BW: 9/11
    OKW: 7/10
    AK: 6/09
    BLT: 9/15
    CBR: 8/07
    ASMo 12/14
    Offsite: 8/88

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, there are some people that may show disney they dont like the direction they are going in by not spending their money at Disney.

I think a lot of people are not so upset about the enforcement of the windows, but more so because they are seeing why this is being done, for Fast Pass+, Xpass or whatever you want to call it.

We pay thousands of dollars to spend our vacation at WDW. I'm one of the one's that believes disney is starting to look at his guests as cattle, and for the money we spend there, I'm not happy about it. If that means fewer visits for our family, then that's what that means.

I dont think there is anything wrong with a 2 hour window as opposed to a 1 hour. It allows for situations exactly like this one. Who does it hurt?

To me this is another example of Disney cutting the value to things while they raise prices yet again. My wife and I Honeymooned at WDW in July of 2008, just 4 years later that same exact trip now cost over $500 more. Something has to give......
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone here is looking for special treatment like you are implying, but suggesting that there is an alternative that would make the system work for more guests.

Every visit to WDW, there is at least one ride breakdown, or extra-long wait for an ADR (or walk-up). It happens. And sure, if it makes you miss a FP time, you can shrug it off and say "Oh well" or choose not to have ADRs or not to use FPs, but the fact of the matter is that WDW encourages the use of all of these options, so it would be nice if they found a way to accommodate their simultaneous use.

A longer FP window would help a great deal with that - it would still help with the suggested problem of FP line crowding due to people returning outside the window, but it would give a little leeway to those who get stuck waiting for an ADR.

My family tries to make as few ADRs as possible (other than our "must haves"), but the fact is that depending on when you go, sometimes you need to have them if you want to be able to get a table service meal. And it can be particularity frustrating when you are forced to make your ADRs 6 months in advance, then show up 15 minutes early, and then STILL end up waiting 30 minutes last your ADR time to be seated. And that frustration only gets worse when that delay results in the expiration of a fast pass.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they should just let some people break the rules and others not.
    1. That's what Disney is about to do. Make you pay for the FastPass+ or whatever they'll call it. You pay more, and you get better service than everyone else. I pray the 99% protestors don't get wind of this.

2. I'm asking for a change in policy toward the open window. When I see something I don't like, I try to change it instead of heading over the cliff with the rest of humanity.

3. Sarcasm is usually used when someone thinks themselves better than everyone else. We're all here to be friends with a common love for Disney World. So let's keep it Magical.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a problem with fastpasses at HS, we had dinner at 50's prime time(LOVE IT and a fast pass that started like ten min earlier. We ended up able to ride it but it was one of those times when your like REALLY!?
    Brittany

I Love Disney

been 23 times 24th is coming soon!!:)

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm still misunderstanding the problem. If you make ADRs in advance then you know in advance what time you need to arrive at the restaurant. You don't know exactly how long your meal will take, but you can estimate and give yourself enough of a cushion to plan. You also know before you take a fastpass what the return window is going to be. If it conflicts with an ADR then don't get the fastpass. Come back after your meal and get a later fp or plan that attraction for another day.

I think a deadline has to be firm in order to be effective. If they allow a grace period, then that becomes the new standard and anyone 5 minutes past the grace period is going to feel jilted. People are going to complain no matter what unless we return to the previous model with absolutely no enforcement at all.

I don't think the purpose is necessarily to speed lines. It's a huge planning tool for Disney to be able to anticipate the way guests will move through the park. When you increase the return window it's a less effective predictor.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    I guess I'm still misunderstanding the problem. If you make ADRs in advance then you know in advance what time you need to arrive at the restaurant. You don't know exactly how long your meal will take, but you can estimate and give yourself enough of a cushion to plan. You also know before you take a fastpass what the return window is going to be. If it conflicts with an ADR then don't get the fastpass.
    So I have an ADR at say Le Cellier for say Noon. I know it will take 5-10 minutes to be seater and another 60-80 minutes to finish the meal. My family loves Soarin' so I walk all the way up to the top of The Land pavillion, all the way around to the back, all the way down to and over to the fastpass section. And then it reads return time 12:10 - 1:10. Oh darn. Should I wait for a half hour so that the window ends at around 1:40? Should I return to my family empty handed and say "Maybe next year"? Should we get into the 75 minute stand-by line? I like the option of Disney letting us come back up to an hour late so we don't have to sweat it.

Fast Pass was easy when it was just my wife and I, and only 3 ADRs per trip. But with 3 kids from 1 to 7, it's hard to balance the good meals we want for them and then avoiding the long lines. With the "unlimited" FP time, it was easy. I understand they have to fix it because it was out of control, but they could throw us young families a bone by at least giving us an hour or so of wiggle room. We like to relax on vacation, and this new FP system doesn't allow for relaxation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    So I have an ADR at say Le Cellier for say Noon. I know it will take 5-10 minutes to be seater and another 60-80 minutes to finish the meal. My family loves Soarin' so I walk all the way up to the top of The Land pavillion, all the way around to the back, all the way down to and over to the fastpass section. And then it reads return time 12:10 - 1:10. Oh darn. Should I wait for a half hour so that the window ends at around 1:40? Should I return to my family empty handed and say "Maybe next year"? Should we get into the 75 minute stand-by line? I like the option of Disney letting us come back up to an hour late so we don't have to sweat it.

Fast Pass was easy when it was just my wife and I, and only 3 ADRs per trip. But with 3 kids from 1 to 7, it's hard to balance the good meals we want for them and then avoiding the long lines. With the "unlimited" FP time, it was easy. I understand they have to fix it because it was out of control, but they could throw us young families a bone by at least giving us an hour or so of wiggle room. We like to relax on vacation, and this new FP system doesn't allow for relaxation.
    Gator, I think your idea would fix a lot of things. I'm one of the ones that would use a fast pass when I wanted to, because a CM told me to do it that way. There's just so much that can happen inside that one hour window that might prevent you from using a Fast Pass, especially the ones that you get and can't use for 5 or 6 hours later.

Honestly, if you add another hour to the window, and stagger the times like they do now, it wouldn't be a problem. If you can't make it back inside that 2 hour window, I'm ok with saying too bad.

A disney vacation should be that exactly, a vacation.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter