Quantcast Word from someone who has totally changed her mind on the Dining Plan.... - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    True. Which is why I said "especially if".
    Sorry if it sounded like I was "beating on you" about this, but there are still those who read the threads that do not know, or understand, the way Tables in Wonderland works. Just wanted to make it clear to those readers.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post

As far as costs, the DDP has always saved me money vs the meals I would be eating each day anyway. I've got 4 people in my paying family - 2 adults and 2 kids. So a free DDP saves me $133/day and $1330 on my next trip. A 25% discount on my moderate would only be about $430 for the whole trip. So for those who think discount rooms are a better deal, explain that to me. I see a $900 difference on my trip with the free DDP, and that's the biggest reason we're going on this trip.
    It just depends. To really know if you have the best value you need to look at your dates, your level of accommodations, and how you would prefer to eat- table service every day, character meals, dessert, etc. Sometimes free DDP might be the best you can do. The problem is that people often see the word free and don't bother to do the math for their particular situation. You can never assume that free DDP is the best deal.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dp

I agree that you must run the numbers on all offers. I enjoy the DP, but always feel like I'm chasing reservations and not just enjoying the day. We always over eat and have snacks left over. Guess it could be worse, such as not tenough food! we are going in 3 weeks and I'm relieved to know were 'on our own' for food.
    1999 Holiday Inn SunSpree
    2000 DTD Hotel
    2003 CBR
    2005 CSR
    2007 AKL

2009 POR
    2011 Coronado/Hard Rock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    It just depends. To really know if you have the best value you need to look at your dates, your level of accommodations, and how you would prefer to eat- table service every day, character meals, dessert, etc. Sometimes free DDP might be the best you can do. The problem is that people often see the word free and don't bother to do the math for their particular situation. You can never assume that free DDP is the best deal.
    Correct!
    To get a proper understanding of the "savings you get with the DP (free or not) you have to compare it to what you would have spent OOP for meals if you had not purchased it (or paid extra for rooms to get the "free" DP.

For instance, we go to WDW on a very tight budget (only way we can afford to go), and stay at a value resort. We bring our own breakfast snacks from home to eat in our room (still a cost, but way, way cheaper than buying food at WDW), eat mostly CS meals, often sharing a meal between two of us, and enjoy maybe 2 to 3 TS meals during a 7 night trip. On our last trip this meant we spent about $700.00 on food, including 3 TS meals, ('Ohana, Teppan Edo and a breakfast buffet). To purchase the reg. DP would have cost us $1,287.00 (family of 4, w/ 2 kids over 10 yrs.). So we spent $500 less on food that we would have spent on the DP. Eeven the QS plan would have cost us $979.00 and we would have had no TS meals. So, not a good deal for us to buy the DP.
    We have purchased the DDP isn the past by the way, when it included appetizers and gratuity. A better deal then, but we still spent more than we normally would on food.

If we had been able to go during a free dining offer this year, we would have had to pay bout $500.00 more for lodging to qualify for the free TS plan. This would have saved us a little, about $100.00 overall from what we would spend going to a value and buying food ($600) our normal way, so that would have been a small discount for us. But it's not "free". Problem is, with school schedules, we can't ever go during free dining promotions.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

So I guess it just depends on your situation. If you always go to a value, the free DDP doesn't offer a whole lot. But I always stay at Moderate anyway (once at an AllStar and never again). And we love to have a big meal each day - especially the character meals. So the DDP makes sense for people like me, and the free DPP is just too big of a pull for me to resist. If you don't want a nice meal each day, then it doesn't really work for you. But on my vacations, food is very important.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

In our case the free DDP is worth it because we stay in a value off season. Saving 20% off $100 or less for a 10 night stay comes out to be less of a savings than the amount of food credit we get for four people with the free DDP, even with it being quick service. We would have spent more in food than we would have saved with the room discount. And, being the first time we've used the QS plan, it was perfect for us because we mostly ate CS and booked the TS restaurants we really wanted, when we wanted them and ordered what we wanted. Paying out of pocket for those TS meals was far less than what we would pay for the regular DDP. So, yes. Without a doubt you have to run the numbers. The free DDP may not exactly be "free" but depending on where you stay and other factors it can definitely save you more money than a room discount.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree that one has to run their own numbers and it used to be a better deal, but we have been going during value season staying at a Moderate the last few years and been blessed with a pin code or other great blessing for free dining. We do character meals, Hoop De Doo, etc. It is great for us in our situation and I like the all inclusive feel of it. I would not do it though unless it were "free".
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

We tried the dining plan once because it was "free"(i use that term loosely cuz i know it wasn't free.) We went with our twin boys at that time age 11. It was a nice experience, but we aren't big eaters so I felt as though it was wasteful. We do plan on eating at a TS everyday and we also eat out for lunch. However having said that we also share ALOT of meals. We are DVC members so we usually eat breakfast in our room. We have the Tables in Wonderland discount that we ususally time to last us two trips so it definitely pays for itself. I've heard that some prefer the cash outlay up front so they don't have to worry about paying for meals here and there. I budget our meals everyday because we have been there so often and usually we come in under budget. I think the dining plan is a preference issue. It just didn't seem to save us any $$ so i didn't bother. Sometimes sharing a few appetizers works for all four of us so a meal for each of us always ended up with wasted food. just my Gotta do what works for you!
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    How many days are you going for? Are you all big eaters? I figure $40 per day per person is what we actually spend.

8 days, 7 nights, we are not big people and don't eat a ton. With the exception of a teenage boy. My oldest daughter and I are fine with kid sized meals, as are my youngest girls. Plus it was free during December.
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

Just as a side note, we do not typically eat out. Schedules just don't allow it. Its nice to slow down and enjoy a meal that is covered for the most part beforehand. Plus we typically eat somewhere we don't have at home. I guess its part of the experience for us too. BUT it was much nicer when tips were included!! App, entree and dessert are wayyyyy to much food but the tip included was nice. I would rather have the tip included and pay OOP for a dessert or app if I so needed one.
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I am definitely withthe OP on this one.

Last year, we tried the Disney Dining Plan. We already had our room paid in full by taking advantage of an Annual Pass discount when I called and asked if it was too late to add the dining plan. I was told it was not, but Disney would have to refund everything I had paid to date, and re-bill me WITH the DDP added. It would have to be included and I received a new reservation number. It added approximately $1,100 to my bill for 10 days. I kept all my receipts from meals paid by the DDP and they totaled $1,204 so it saved about $100 or so.

However, and here's the most important point: I would NEVER have purchased that much food if I was paying out of pocket. We wasted so much food it was upsetting. I'll give examples.

I like Coke in bottles and I HATE fountain drinks. Each time we'd go to eat, I'd grab a Coke before we'd go to a counter service restaurant. But the DDP MAKES me receive and drink. So we would get another drink we didn't want. The DDP also makes us get a dessert. None of us wanted a dessert. We wanted a Mickey Bar or some other "goodie." That's part of the fun of being on vacation, but we were forced to get a dessert anyway.

Also, my DD9 was always forced to order from the kids menu. If we went to a nice restaurant, she couldn't order something she liked. She was locked in to a few items.

We vowed never to use it again and I doubt if we will. This trip,we were there for 10 days again and we tried the Tables in Wonderland card. I highly recommend this. As an AP member, we purchased it for $75 and it saved about $140. And, if I had been more thorough, I could have used it at more locations, like The Earl of Sandwich or the Sassagoula Floatworks, our foodcourt. (I did used it there, but it took a few days for me to check if it was accepted.)

TIW allowed us to order what we wanted. It saved 20 percent off the entire meal. If we went to counter service, we ordered only what we wanted and we weren't forced to get more than we needed.

That's my opinion.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post

However, and here's the most important point: I would NEVER have purchased that much food if I was paying out of pocket. We wasted so much food it was upsetting. I'll give examples.

I like Coke in bottles and I HATE fountain drinks. Each time we'd go to eat, I'd grab a Coke before we'd go to a counter service restaurant. But the DDP MAKES me receive and drink. So we would get another drink we didn't want. The DDP also makes us get a dessert. None of us wanted a dessert. We wanted a Mickey Bar or some other "goodie." That's part of the fun of being on vacation, but we were forced to get a dessert anyway.

We vowed never to use it again and I doubt if we will. This trip,we were there for 10 days again and we tried the Tables in Wonderland card. I highly recommend this. As an AP member, we purchased it for $75 and it saved about $140. And, if I had been more thorough, I could have used it at more locations, like The Earl of Sandwich or the Sassagoula Floatworks, our foodcourt. (I did used it there, but it took a few days for me to check if it was accepted.)

TIW allowed us to order what we wanted. It saved 20 percent off the entire meal. If we went to counter service, we ordered only what we wanted and we weren't forced to get more than we needed.
    Exactly! AND if you took OUT the desert and drink costs off the receipts you saved to calculate your savings, you would probably see you ended up paying more for the DDP because the cost of the drinks and deserts you wouldn't have otherwise wanted was on those receipt totals. So exclude what you wouldn't/didn't want off those receipts and you will see you probably lost about $300.00 (guessing). But, thats IMO

And the limitations for what you can order when your children are a certain age, with different tastes than other children their age, must be frustrating. If your child isn't a chicken nuggets/pizza kid, but likes to "explore" other dinning options, your stuck with the DDP.

For those that can use TIW, that's definitely the way to go
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    Exactly! AND if you took OUT the desert and drink costs off the receipts you saved to calculate your savings, you would probably see you ended up paying more for the DDP because the cost of the drinks and deserts you wouldn't have otherwise wanted was on those receipt totals. So exclude what you wouldn't/didn't want off those receipts and you will see you probably lost about $300.00 (guessing). But, thats IMO

...For those that can use TIW, that's definitely the way to go
    Tinkerbell, I think you are exactly correct. That was my assessment.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

My DW and I are going in April for four days (Sunday through Wednesday). We contemplated getting the DDP, but decided against it. We were curious how it would change our dining habits by NOT having the DDP. The first time we went, we didn't have it, but we were only there for two days. We have had the DDP every visit since then. Also, on this trip, we plan to eat in at least one Signature restaurant, and that would require two TS credits, meaning that we would be paying OOP for another TS meal (that we would definitely be planning) anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Sorry if it sounded like I was "beating on you" about this, but there are still those who read the threads that do not know, or understand, the way Tables in Wonderland works. Just wanted to make it clear to those readers.
    We looked at getting the Tables in Wonderland card, but did some math and figured out that, since we would only be there four days (in our minds, that equals four TS meals) the card would just break us even. So, for us, to get the value from the TIW card, we would have to have a longer stay than just four days.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    We looked at getting the Tables in Wonderland card, but did some math and figured out that, since we would only be there four days (in our minds, that equals four TS meals) the card would just break us even. So, for us, to get the value from the TIW card, we would have to have a longer stay than just four days.
    If your signature is correct, the TiW will still be active for your April 2013 trip, so you'll enjoy savings on that trip as well. If you're at a break even on a 4 day trip, I'd serioously consider getting it. We used to break even well before day 4 of a trip, not counting the extra expense of the AP to get eligibility. We got two/three trips out of the pass, so we never counted that towards the cost of the TiW program.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the dining plan for 2 reasons: structure and cost. We do not eat enough food to make it worth the money. We are also forced to be on a schedule which is not what I want on vacation. The 2 times I have had it (once free and once paid for), I ended up loading up on snacks for the credits. I would have about 15 Mickey rice krispy treats.

There are usually 3 of us. I can pack bagels, other breakfast items, and snacks in a suitcase. We usually by at least 1 resort mug. My DW/DD and I can share a meal because portions are usually huge. We have snacks and buy the occasional ice cream or whatever. If I had counter service meals, the quality of the food does not warrant the cost. I also do not want to have to race around because I have to be at a restaurant at 6PM and I have been waiting in line for 30 minutes already for Pooh or something.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    My DW and I are going in April for four days (Sunday through Wednesday). We contemplated getting the DDP, but decided against it. We were curious how it would change our dining habits by NOT having the DDP. The first time we went, we didn't have it, but we were only there for two days. We have had the DDP every visit since then. Also, on this trip, we plan to eat in at least one Signature restaurant, and that would require two TS credits, meaning that we would be paying OOP for another TS meal (that we would definitely be planning) anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    If your signature is correct, the TiW will still be active for your April 2013 trip, so you'll enjoy savings on that trip as well. If you're at a break even on a 4 day trip, I'd serioously consider getting it. We used to break even well before day 4 of a trip, not counting the extra expense of the AP to get eligibility. We got two/three trips out of the pass, so we never counted that towards the cost of the TiW program.
    Keep in mind that the TiW card also counts towards alcohol purchases (don't know if that is worth it to you or not, figured I'd throw that out there) and like DisneyRox stated. Keep in mind that the TiW is good for a solid 13 months (not 12 like the AP) from date of activation. So if you arrive lets say 11/1/12 and activate it on 11/1/12, it is good until 13 months there after.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Except that we already have free dining for this upcoming trip. So, we wouldn't use the TIW card for November at all. We are DVC members, and so we can get the Deluxe Annual Passes for a *huge* discount, which we plan to do when we get there in November. That would allow us to buy the TIW card for $75, I believe. I don't know, we'll have to sit down and run the numbers again. I believe that we figured that out before we decided where we wanted to eat, and certainly before we decided to get the AP.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    Keep in mind that the TiW card also counts towards alcohol purchases (don't know if that is worth it to you or not, figured I'd throw that out there) and like DisneyRox stated. Keep in mind that the TiW is good for a solid 13 months (not 12 like the AP) from date of activation. So if you arrive lets say 11/1/12 and activate it on 11/1/12, it is good until 13 months there after.
    No, we don't drink. If we did, I imagine that would just tempt me further!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

As some others have said it really depends on your vacation. We booked our room during the "fall" season at a moderate. Even with a decent room discount we'd save between $200-400 on a room only reservation.

By adding free dining we have $735 worth of food that's "free" for our 9 days. Then we upgraded to the deluxe dining, essentially giving us every meal we could imagine for about $500 that we actually pay for. Since we always do a sitdown meal for dinner and prefer signatures we were looking at easily $1000 just for dinners. That right there, on just dinners alone, makes it worth it to us.

With the "free" dining plus our upgrade we end up with all our meals and snacks for about $500. We just can't beat that. Sure we still need to bring money for tips and alcohol, but at the end of the day for people who like to eat, it still seems to work.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran the numbers using rack-rates vs discounted room rates and the actual cost of meals vs the dining plan and the numbers were close, but in my case the discounted room (no dining plan) won out.

Furthermore I prefer the flexibility I have not having the burden of the dining plan.

However I'm certain others prefer knowing the bulk of expenses are paid and appreciate the eating experience more than I.

It's great that Disney offers the option for people to choose the plan they prefer,
    1984-first visit only one day 1996-WL 1998-CSR 2001-CSR 2003-POR & AKL 2004-AKL 2005-CBR 2006-CBR & BC 2007-Pop & CBR (solo) 2010-Pop (solo) 2011-Pop (solo) 2012-Pop 2013-Pop 2014-Pop (solo) 2015-Pop (solo) 2016-Pop (solo)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: